Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2018 season

College Football 2018 season

Sporting News preseason top 25 http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...1mjsjs5ieib2x:

10. Penn State Nittany Lions
    The Nittany Lions were four points away from an undefeated season in 2017. James Franklin continues to build through recruiting. Penn State, however, must deal with the loss of Saquon Barkley. But new offensive coordinator Ricky Rahne called a great game in the Nittany Lions' Fiesta Bowl win. How will that affect quarterback Trace McSorley going forward?

9. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    A November that saw the Irish go 2-2 overshadowed a 10-3 season, and the offensive line must replace two top-10 NFL Draft picks in Quenton Nelson and Mike McGlinchey. Brandon Wimbush has a talented group of receivers with which to work, and that's an area of development that could put Notre Dame over the top in 2018.

8. Auburn Tigers
    Gus Malzhan opted to stay at Auburn, and with good reason. There's enough talent on both sides of the ball to repeat as SEC West champions, and perhaps finish the job this time around. Jarrett Stidham is back, but leading rushers Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway are gone, as are Jeff Holland and Carlton Davis on defense. The Tigers also have to travel to Tuscaloosa and Athens this time around.

7. Washington Huskies
    Chris Petersen has built a consistent winner at Washington. That will be tested when the Huskies and four-year starter Jake Browning take on Auburn in the season-opener in Atlanta. This is a huge game for the entire Pac-12; not just Washington.

6. Wisconsin Badgers
    Wisconsin returns quarterback Alex Hornibrook and star running back Jonathan Taylor. Paul Chryst continues to improve the skill positions while following a familiar pattern with the offensive line and defense. The next step is finishing the job at the Big Ten championship game. If the Badgers can do that for the first time since 2012, then they'll finally make the playoff.

5. Oklahoma Sooners
    Lincoln Riley couldn't have done a better job replacing Bob Stoops in Year 1, but the Sooners lost Baker Mayfield and a few other key pieces to the NFL. Kyler Murray and Co. struggled somewhat in the spring game, but should be ready to take the job. Early tests against Florida Atlantic (yes, really) and UCLA accelerate that learning curve.

4. Ohio State Buckeyes
    Dwayne Haskins won the starting job in a fierce quarterback battle in Columbus, but Tate Martell will be an interesting player to watch in fall camp. Urban Meyer faces the usual attrition to the NFL Draft. J.K. Dobbins and Nick Bosa are back, however, and Ohio State is still the team to beat in the Big Ten despite trips to TCU, Penn State and Michigan State.

3. Georgia Bulldogs
    The Bulldogs were one of the big winners at the NFL Draft entry deadline last year. The defending SEC champions now have holes to fill, but the offense can build around sophomore Jake Fromm. Kirby Smart has an all-time recruiting class coming in, and the Bulldogs are in great position in the SEC East.

2. Clemson Tigers
    Business as usual for Dabo Swinney. The Tigers suffered a few losses to the NFL Draft, but running back Travis Etienne is a value pick for the Heisman Trophy and the defensive line features four potential first-round picks in Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins, Austin Bryant and Clelin Ferrell. The arrival of five-star freshman Trevor Lawrence has shaken up the quarterback battle, but that only reinforces the point: Clemson isn't going anywhere.

1. Alabama Crimson Tide
    Yes, we put Alabama at No. 1 again. Chances are it will be atop the preseason polls that come out in August. Nick Saban may have a quarterback controversy between Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa, but he's working with the same talented stable of skill position players. One possible concern: Saban will be working with his third different defensive coordinator in four seasons, after Jeremy Pruitt left for Tennessee.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 07-09-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sporting News top Sept. games:

5. Alabama vs. Louisville (Sept. 1)

It's another marquee neutral-site opener for Alabama, this time in Orlando. It'll be a showcase for Alabama's Jalen Hurts/Tua Tagovailoa, and perhaps a breakout performance for Louisville's Jawon Pass, tasked with replacing Lamar Jackson as he heads to the NFL.

4. LSU vs. Miami (Sept. 2)

The AdvoCare Classic at AT&T Stadium features another big-time matchup between blue bloods LSU and Miami. The Hurricanes and Tigers should both be hovering around the top 10 to start the season, and it's a chance for Mark Richt and Ed Orgeron to score that program-building victory.

3. Auburn vs. Washington (Sept. 1)

The Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game in Atlanta will be a showcase for quarterbacks Jarrett Stidham and Jake Browning. This should be a top-10 showdown, too. If we're going by the rankings, then this will be the biggest game on opening weekend.

2. Michigan at Notre Dame (Sept. 1)

The rivalry is back for the first time since 2014 – a game the Irish won 31-0. Expectations will be high for both Brian Kelly and Jim Harbaugh again, and it could be Shea Patterson's debut for the Wolverines. It doesn't get much better than that.

1. Clemson at Texas A&M (Sept. 8)

It's the highlight of Week 2 — and all of September. Jimbo Fisher will make his debut against Northwestern State on Sept. 1, but it's a familiar visitor the following week that will draw so much more attention. It's another big road spot for the Tigers, experienced road warriors with a knack for spoiling the ESPN College GameDay parties.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Washington fooled me for awhile last season . I thought they were better than they were . I doubt seasons end will find them ranked that high . Oklahoma has not earned a spot that high yet with all the talent lost . For the most part , the early rankings do not look as weak as the past two seasons . Three weeks in now , the top five look solid .
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-15-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    Do something Danke

Coaches poll

1 Alabama(61) 0-0 1621 —
    2 Clemson(3) 0-0 1547 —
    3 Ohio State(1) 0-0 1458 —
    4 Georgia 0-0 1452 —
    5 Oklahoma 0-0 1288 —
    6 Washington 0-0 1245 —
    7 Wisconsin 0-0 1243 —
    8 Miami 0-0 1091 —
    9 Penn State 0-0 1050 —
    10 Auburn 0-0 1004 —
    11 Notre Dame 0-0 892 —
    12 Michigan State 0-0 870 —
    13 Stanford 0-0 768 —
    14 Michigan 0-0 752 —
    15 USC 0-0 691 —
    16 TCU 0-0 530 —
    17 Virginia Tech 0-0 524 —
    18 Mississippi State 0-0 407 —
    19 Florida State 0-0 328 —
    20 West Virginia 0-0 310 —
    21 Texas 0-0 265 —
    22 Boise State 0-0 261 —
    23 UCF 0-0 259 —
    24 LSU 0-0 254 —
    25 Oklahoma State 0-0 168 —

I see no reason Wisconsin is not at # 4 .
    Do something Danke

Too much drama at Ohio State. They will drop down.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Lets take a quick review of the other teams receiving votes . South Carolina , maybe ready for a big year , Florida , not , Utah , most consistent out there last season by far , Ok St , been a contender for a long time , Florida Atlantic , should be fun to watch . A & M and nickel defense , unknown , BC , doubt it , Northwestern , could repeat another good season , Kansas St , doubt it , Iowa St , too early to tell , Houston , should be good , Memphis , big year last yr , Iowa , too early to tell but expect to be consistent and in the game . Troy , yes , Kentucky , made strides last yr , Fresno , don't know , but not a believer , Arkansas St , where is that ?
    Last edited by oyarde; 08-25-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    Do something Danke

Georgia and Clemson are the only two ranked teams I am considering to take to cover the spread week one .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think muh Hoosiers have to win at least 4 of the first five to have a shot at a good season ( say , 8 wins ) for them.
    Do something Danke

I am a little curious as to how Texas ended up in the bottom of the top 25 . They travel to maryland to open , I think .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Coaches poll

1 Alabama(61) 0-0 1621 —
    2 Clemson(3) 0-0 1547 —
    3 Ohio State(1) 0-0 1458 —
    4 Georgia 0-0 1452 —
    5 Oklahoma 0-0 1288 —
    6 Washington 0-0 1245 —
    7 Wisconsin 0-0 1243 —
    8 Miami 0-0 1091 —
    9 Penn State 0-0 1050 —
    10 Auburn 0-0 1004 —
    11 Notre Dame 0-0 892 —
    12 Michigan State 0-0 870 —
    13 Stanford 0-0 768 —
    14 Michigan 0-0 752 —
    15 USC 0-0 691 —
    16 TCU 0-0 530 —
    17 Virginia Tech 0-0 524 —
    18 Mississippi State 0-0 407 —
    19 Florida State 0-0 328 —
    20 West Virginia 0-0 310 —
    21 Texas 0-0 265 —
    22 Boise State 0-0 261 —
    23 UCF 0-0 259 —
    24 LSU 0-0 254 —
    25 Oklahoma State 0-0 168 —
    Without including miami ( I have not seen them since last yr ) , leaving out florida state which has been horribly over ranked for past seasons and texas that will be beaten in Maryland to open in consecutive years ,the best teams so far appear to be UCF , Clemson , Ohio St , Alabama , Wisconsin, Georgia , Notre Dame , Oklahoma , TCU , West Virginia , Virginia Tech , Boise St , Mississippi St and possibly Ok St . After that , pretty much any .500 Big Ten team can probably beat the rest .
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-03-2018 at 10:07 PM.
    Do something Danke

Right now I am expecting a lot of Big 10 bowl victories
    Do something Danke

Florida St , Texas and Miami should drop out of the to 25 , there was never any reason for two of them to be there .
    Do something Danke

Hoosiers beat Virginia to move to 2 - 0 . Great job by Kentucky . Best looking teams this week were UCF , Ohio St , Wisconsin , Oklahoma , TCU , Georgia , Miss St , Va Tech , Oregon ,West Va , Boise St .
    Do something Danke

Hoosiers move to 3 - 0 in a quest to get Oyarde a bowl game , have Mich St next week .
    Do something Danke

Wisconsin falls 21 - 24 to BYU today . Great game by BYU .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hear Notre Dame wasn’t all that sharp today. Local sports people didn’t think Vandy would win two games all season. Looks like they hung with ND pretty well today.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I hear Notre Dame wasn’t all that sharp today. Local sports people didn’t think Vandy would win two games all season. Looks like they hung with ND pretty well today.
    They played well and had a lot of missed opportunities on the table but ND has a pretty good defense . I am expecting a good showing by Utah tonight . Vandy was 2 - 0 coming in and I would not be surprised if they have 5 to 7 wins by end of Nov . They could do it if they play as tough as they have . They fought back from a 3 - 16 deficit today at halftime.
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-15-2018 at 06:12 PM.
    Do something Danke

Two of the best teams play tonight , Ohio St and TCU . Both have a chance to make a big statement with wisconsin falling because none of the other ranked teams have been overly impressive today .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    They played well and had a lot of missed opportunities on the table but ND has a pretty good defense . I am expecting a good showing by Utah tonight . Vandy was 2 - 0 coming in and I would not be surprised if they have 5 to 7 wins by end of Nov . They could do it if they play as tough as they have . They fought back from a 3 - 16 deficit today at halftime.
    Mason seems to be a good coach and a powerful motivator.
    #NashvilleStrong

If IU beats Mich St next week and TCU were to win tonight , that would put the Hoosiers on top of the Big 10 with Penn St . CornHuskers are 0 - 2 for the first time since 1957 . Army beat Hawaii.
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-15-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    Do something Danke

If IU beats Mich St next week and TCU were to win tonight , that would put the Hoosiers on top of the Big 10 with Penn St . CornHuskers are 0 - 2 for the first time since 1957 . Army beat Hawaii.
    We (Colorado) beat Nebraska last week (they had their game the week before cancelled due to bad weather). Troy beat them today. They have a new coach and a true freshman at QB who was hurt late in the game against us and a freshman walk-on started today. They can still make things interesting- they are otherwise pretty good. This was our first meeting since we both left the Big 12.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-15-2018 at 08:12 PM.

USC exposed again in the first half .
    Do something Danke

USC exposed again in the first half .
    Texas has scored the last 34 points in the game after trailing 14-3. TCU was up 21-13 vs Ohio State but OSU moving out ahead farther now- 40-28 in the fourth.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Texas has scored the last 34 points in the game after trailing 14-3. TCU was up 21-13 vs Ohio State but OSU moving out ahead farther now- 40-28 in the fourth.
    969 yards of offense with 9:00 to play OSU vs TCU
    Do something Danke

San Diego St holding in there pretty good so far this evening .
    Do something Danke

969 yards of offense with 9:00 to play OSU vs TCU
    Some of these teams are just machines (with tons of money to keep them running!) We should have an excellent shot at the Pac12 South this year (looking kinda weak this year). Coming up we have UCLA, ASU (playing San Diego State right now) and USC. Us, ASU, and Utah (Playing Washington at the moment- down 14-7 at the half) the only unbeaten in the division after just three games. After tonight, the others will all have at least two losses.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-15-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Three of the more interesting teams ( UCF , Va Tech , West Va ) not in action today , postponed games .
    Do something Danke

Texas A&M almost pulled it out last week vs #2 Clemson. Other wins were big ones against small schools. They will be a team to watch too. But they gotta play #1 Alabama next week.

San Diego State went 85 yards in 1:33 to tie the game at the half- 14 all.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast