Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brett Kavanaugh will be Trump’s SCOTUS nominee

Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    Hardiman ruled there's no 1st Amendment right to film police. Absolutely awful.
    Agreed.

Hoping for Mike Lee, too.
    Don't think there's really much chance.
    But, ya never know.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

$#@! you Cuomo. I'm not thrilled with Kavanaugh, but he's going to burn down the SAFE Act.

Like Hardiman, they said, Kavanaugh does not believe the Heller decision, written by the late Justice Antonin Scalia, goes far enough to protect gun rights. In the Heller decision, the court held that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to a firearm, while allowing regulatory oversight — the degree to which has not been established by the court
    Kavenaugh’s dissent -

In Heller, the Supreme Court held that handguns – the vast majority of which today are semi-automatic – are constitutionally protected because they have not traditionally been banned and are in common use by law-abiding citizens. There is no meaningful or persuasive constitutional distinction between semi-automatic handguns and semiautomatic rifles. Semi-automatic rifles, like semi-automatic handguns, have not traditionally been banned and are in common use by law-abiding citizens for self-defense in the home, hunting, and other lawful uses.
    Last edited by AuH20; 07-09-2018 at 07:08 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And the winner is.....Brett Kavanaugh.

LOL So scared.

RBG next. -Q

We need Lee next.

Breyer can't last much longer either.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Kavanaugh should slide through the Senate. That's one of the reasons he was chosen. Bushies run the Senate anyway.

Stone is not happy.

Jesuit? Another Catholic. That must be almost a requirement.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Kavanaugh should slide through the Senate. That's one of the reasons he was chosen. Bushies run the Senate anyway.
    Hopefully we can change that before RBG and Breyer go.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and Mike Lee will vote against Brett K.

Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post
    Doubtful with the midterms approaching. They need him installed ASAP.

I wanted Lee but according to this we could have done worse:

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    Mike Lee would be best, and here's a chart which demonstrates it. In a study that created a metric of each candidates "Scalia-ness", Lee was #1 by a lot. Gorsuch was 4rd, Kavanaugh 5th, and Kethledge 14th with a negative Scalia rating.

Amy Barrett was not included in the Scalia-ness study, but I prefer her out of the three supposed finalists. She is relatively young and worked for Scalia. Kavanaugh loses points for his close ties to Bush and DC in general. Kethledge could be flakey.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Doubtful with the midterms approaching. They need him installed ASAP.
    Perhaps Trump wants to lose on Kavanaugh so that SCOTUS is a midterm get out the vote issue.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Kavanaugh is very good against immigration, so that's a plus. He is a solid pick.
    "Countries are benefited when they changed these [national sovereignty] policies, and evidence suggests that North Americans are ready for a new relationship that renders this old definition of sovereignty obsolete."

CFR task force co-chairman Robert Pastor

What better way to disrupt the political process and sew seeds of discord throughout the establishment than to leave the supreme court at a 4-4 deadlock unless your favored candidate is approved?

Unless, of course, Trump isn't actually about smashing the establishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Probably a good reason that a sitting Senator should never be on the list at all.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    If this is accurate, I am happy...

https://www.axios.com/brett-kavanaug...489a108f2.html

Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Zero chance. Rand is the only person who expressed dismay but he isn't voting against a Republican Supreme Court Nominee. There isn't enough to dislike about Kavanaugh to take that kind of stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    What better way to disrupt the political process and sew seeds of discord throughout the establishment than to leave the supreme court at a 4-4 deadlock unless your favored candidate is approved?

He got his list of nominees from the Federalist Society. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0f3c2219f4082

Jack Posobiec
    ����
    ‏Verified account @JackPosobiec

Brett Kavanaugh: “An illegal immigrant worker is not a lawful employee in the United States”
    "Countries are benefited when they changed these [national sovereignty] policies, and evidence suggests that North Americans are ready for a new relationship that renders this old definition of sovereignty obsolete."

CFR task force co-chairman Robert Pastor

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess;6650301[B
    ]What better way to disrupt the political process and sew seeds of discord throughout the establishment than to leave the supreme court at a 4-4 deadlock unless your favored candidate is approved?
    [/B]

That's the worst idea I've ever heard.

Not to mention Kavanaugh is one of the least likely people to get confirmed of the people mentioned to fill Kennedy's spot.

Quote Originally Posted by nbhadja View Post
    Jack Posobiec
    ����
    ‏Verified account @JackPosobiec

Brett Kavanaugh: “An illegal immigrant worker is not a lawful employee in the United States”
    and....

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Kavanaugh is one of the least likely people to get confirmed of the people mentioned to fill Kennedy's spot.
    Why do you say that?

It would fit with this if you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Perhaps Trump wants to lose on Kavanaugh so that SCOTUS is a midterm get out the vote issue.
    We may get Lee yet.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Bushies control the purse strings in the GOP. Kavanaugh will be ratified through. Collins and Murkowski need every last dollar.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...214554095.html

Maybe not. He usually supports the party.

The Latest: Sen. Rand Paul keeping 'open mind' on Kavanaugh

Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky says he's keeping an "open mind" on President Donald Trump's nomination of Brett Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court.

The conservative senator tweeted Monday that he looks forward to the upcoming Senate hearings, reviewing the circuit court judge's record "and meeting personally with Judge Kavanaugh, with an open mind."

Paul was among conservatives signing on to a statement of support last week for fellow conservative Sen. Mike Lee of Utah.

Conservative and libertarian-leaning activists raised concerns about Kavanaugh. Some conservatives said Paul said he might oppose a Kavanaugh nomination, but Paul did not publicly say he would vote against him.
    That was just tonight after the nomination. However previously: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-pushback.html

Given the very narrow margin Republicans have in the Senate (if Democrats unite against Trump’s nominee and John McCain remains away from Washington, the GOP needs every single senator) perhaps the most credible threat to the former Ken Starr assistant comes from the ever-cranky Rand Paul, as the Associated Press reports:

Paul has told colleagues that he wouldn’t vote in favor of Kavanaugh if the judge is nominated, citing Kavanaugh’s role during the Bush administration on cases involving executive privilege and the disclosure of documents to Congress.
    But then Paul has a long history of threatening to break with his party on key votes, and an equally long history of backing off, particularly if Trump asks him to get in line. It appears POTUS has already put in a call to the Kentuckian.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-09-2018 at 08:04 PM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    President Trump has confirmed that his nominee to succeed Justice Anthony Kennedy on the Supreme Court will be 53-year-old appeals court judge Brett Kavanaugh, the long-reputed frontrunner. The White House managed to keep Trump's pick a secret until roughly 8 minutes before the President's planned announcement, when NBC News confirmed that Kavanaugh had clinched the nomination.
    BREAKING: "Tonight, it is my honor and privilege to announce that I will nominate Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the United States Supreme Court." https://t.co/5RVZrIaUdm pic.twitter.com/5KTY5lO2Mc
    — ABC News (@ABC) July 10, 2018
    As Trump pointed out, a dozen of Kavanaugh's 300 DC Circuit opinions have been adopted by the Supreme Court. "There is no one in America more qualified for this position or more deserving." During his remarks, Kavanaugh said his judicial philosophy is straighforward. A judge must interpret the law, not make the law, and interpret the constitution as written. Kavanaugh went to Yale and Yale Law and clerked for Kennedy on the Supreme Court, where he reportedly first met Neil Gorsuch, Trump's first SCOTUS nominee.
    As Bloomberg points out, expect a lot of focus on Kavanaugh's 2009 paper arguing that a president shouldn't have to face the distractions of criminal prosecutions and lawsuits while president. Kavanaugh could cast the deciding vote on whether Trump must cooperate with a grand jury subpoena from Robert Mueller. Already, Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal is telling reporters that he would ask Kavanaugh to recuse himself from cases related to the Mueller probe.
    By choosing Kavanaugh, President Trump has satisfied online bookmakers and Washington insiders alike by selecting Brett Kavanaugh, long rumored to be the front-runner, as his pick to succeed Justice Anthony Kennedy. While he reportedly faced opposition from some social conservatives over his ties to former President George W Bush, Kavanaugh benefited from a lengthy history of conservative rulings (he’s served in his current role as circuit judge for the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia since 2006) and the support of White House counsel Don McGahn III, who was tasked with leading the search. Though his rulings on some issues - notably Obamacare - have been seen as controversial by some.
    If confirmed, Kavanaugh could trigger a historic shift in the balance of power, creating one of the most conservative courts in generations. This could in turn shift to the right the Court's position on issues including abortion, gay rights, affirmative action, the death penalty and federal regulatory power, according to Bloomberg. He faced stiff opposition from Democrats when he was nominated by Bush in 2006 for the appeals court. His pro-business bona fides including being the only dissenting voice when health insurer Anthem appealed a lower court's rejection of its attempted merger with Cigna.
    Democrats said Kavanaugh was too partisan to become a judge. Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, now the Democratic leader, called Kavanaugh a "very bright legal foot soldier." He was eventually confirmed in 2006.
    On the appeals court, Kavanaugh has largely been a foe of government regulation, voting to strike down rules issued by the Environmental Protection Agency under President Barack Obama. He expressed doubt about Obama’s Clean Power Plan, though the appeals court never ruled on the issue.
    Kavanaugh also said he would have thrown out the Obama-era net neutrality rule, which barred internet service providers from slowing or blocking rivals’ content. He voted to give the president the power to fire the director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for any reason.
    [...]
    Kavanaugh voted to throw out a constitutional challenge to Obamacare in 2011 but left open the possibility the law could be overturned later. He said his colleagues’ decision to uphold the law, and its requirement to either buy insurance or pay a penalty, offered "no real limiting principle" and would have "extraordinary ramifications."
    Although he hasn’t ruled directly on abortion rights, he sided with the Trump administration in a fight with an undocumented teenager seeking to end her pregnancy while in federal custody.
    In a dissenting opinion, Kavanaugh said he would have blocked the girl, who was 15 weeks pregnant, from having an abortion for at least another week. The government said it was trying to find a sponsor for the girl so that officials wouldn’t have to "facilitate" her trip to an abortion clinic. The girl later had the procedure.
    According to one measure cited by Axios, Kavanaugh would be the second-most conservative justice on the court.

Kavanaugh is also widely known for the fact that he drafted much of the Starr Report, which led to Bill Clinton's impeachment, and also included graphic details about sexual acts with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Trump’s nomination has set in motion what could be a weekslong confirmation process as Republicans struggle with an precariously flimsy majority of one (thanks to Sen. John McCain’s expected absence due to illness). As the Wall Street Journal points out, both pro- and anti-choice groups are planning millions of dollars in ad buys targeting the states of potential swing voters on both sides of the aisle. According to Marc Short, the Whtie House legislative director, Kavanaugh is expected to be confirmed by Oct. 1. Though given the high stakes and the number of opinions Kavanaugh has authored, Democrats could try to stretch it out until after the mid-terms.
    Unsurprisingly, the RNC cheered Kavanaugh's nomination, calling him a "champion of the rule of law."
    NEW: "Judge Kavanaugh is the best choice to succeed Justice Anthony Kennedy and Senate Democrats must put partisan politics aside and vote to confirm him to the Supreme Court," the RNC says in a statement https://t.co/MGNpLeb2xk pic.twitter.com/EBWdjsoGz9
    — ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) July 10, 2018
    The NRA also hailed him as "a fantastic pick." But at least one swing-vote Republican refused to outright endorse him: Susan Collins said only that Kavanaugh had "impressive credentials."
    Minority Leader Chuck Schumer is also out with a statement:
    "Trump has put reproductive rights and freedoms and health care protections for millions of Americans on the judicial chopping block," Schumer said. "His own writings make clear that he would rule against reproductive rights and freedoms, and that he would welcome challenges to the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act."
    [...]
    "If he were to be confirmed, women’s reproductive rights would be in the hands of five men on the Supreme Court."
    [...]
    "I will oppose Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination with everything I have, and I hope a bipartisan majority will do the same. The stakes are simply too high for anything less."
    Given Kavanaugh's history of siding with business over workers, the AFL-CIO also released a statement slamming his nomination.
    Kavanaugh "routinely rules against working families, regularly rejects employees’ right to receive employer-provided health care, too often sides with employers in denying employees relief from discrimination in the workplace and promotes overturning well-established U.S. Supreme Court precedent."

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...is-scotus-pick

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Why do you say that?

It would fit with this if you are correct.

We may get Lee yet.

He'll get confirmed but it is possible with all Republican votes whereas Hardiman would have pealed off as many as 5 to 10 Dems.

I know McConnell was really pushing hard to nominate someone other than Barrett or Kavanaugh because they are both more problematic to get through the Senate.

No way he would leave that up to chance. He knows full well that there is a good chance he could be a lame duck for the next 6 years.

I doubt Kavanaugh will be an activist judge either so chances of overturning Roe or Heller is slim.

Rand will probably play ball, nothing to gain from opposing Kavanaugh, its not like the left will stop trying to kill him anyways.
    Last edited by eleganz; 07-09-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Just wondering, but since Kennedy is still on the job, I wonder if he didn't like the pick if he could rescind his resignation?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast