Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Brett Kavanaugh will be Trump’s SCOTUS nominee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A comment that made me laugh from
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/o...rt-senate.html

The next Democratic president, who will be inaugurated in January 2021, will have to have nerves of steel. She should take on a challenge that even the consummate politician, FDR, couldn't surmount. She should pack the Supreme Court. Name four new Justices to the Court, bringing the new number to thirteen, instead of nine. And the Democratic majorities in both chambers of Congress should support her. There will be screams about how unfair that would be, but I think it would be legal. The electoral college is legal, but unfair. Presidents Al Gore, and Hillary Clinton should have chosen the Justices that us usurper Presidents George W. Bush, and Donald Trump got to appoint. And Jimmy Carter never got to appoint a single one. I'd like to blame Dick Cheney for that, but I won't push my luck.

and all this time I thought he was grooming Andrew Napolitano.

Chuck Baldwin

Trump's SCOTUS pick of Brett Kavanaugh is just more of the same.

A Republican-dominated Supreme Court (SC) gave us Roe v Wade, homosexual marriage and Obamacare. In fact, Republican appointments have dominated the SC for the last 45 years. All of this talk about Republican presidents (and Donald Trump in particular) appointing pro-life, constitutionalist, orginalist justices is just so much hot air.

Republican presidents have given us William Brennan, John Paul Stevens, Harry Blackmun (the man who authored Roe v Wade), Anthony Kennedy (the man who gave us homosexual marriage), and John Roberts (the man who gave us Obamacare). Trump's appointment of Gorsuch and now Kavanaugh are likewise in the mold of the above justices. .

Kavanaugh is a favorite of the establishment. That ALONE should tell you all you need to know. But Kavanaugh, like Roberts, is a totally controlled toady of the Deep State.

Kavanaugh helped Ken Starr cover up the Deep State's murder of former Bill Clinton legal counsel Vince Foster. To quote Joel Skousen:

"The Vince Foster cover-up wasn’t a simple case of an erroneous conclusion based upon weak evidence. This was a full blown conspiracy to intimidate witnesses that proved the official version was a lie. As Starr’s deputy, there is no way that Kavanaugh could not have known that there was a cover-up and conspiracy going on."

"Kavanaugh will always be subject to the blackmail of 'you knew what Starr did to Patrick Knowlton (the key witness exposing the Deep State conspiracy that killed Foster), and you went along with it.' That also implies a more lethal threat of 'you know what they did to Vince Foster when he got cold feet about protecting the Clintons.'"

Trump's appointment of Kavanaugh tells me that Donald Trump is completely controlled by the Deep State--all of his rhetoric to the contrary notwithstanding.

As to the life issue, pro-life organizations are lauding Kavanaugh as staunchly "pro-life." These endorsement don't impress me. Most of the national "pro-life" organizations are sycophants of the Republican Party. They also adamantly refuse to support the only pro-life bills that matter: personhood bills.

That Kavanaugh has ruled in favor of certain restrictions on abortion "rights" is NO indicator that he would do anything to reverse Roe v Wade. In fact. Kavanaugh is on record as saying he respected the government's "precedent" (Roe v Wade decision) on abortion. Pro-life organizations are using the Garza case to prove Kavanaugh's commitment to the right-to-life, but they are conveniently overlooking the fact that in this decision Kavanaugh said the government conceded the teen's right to an abortion but simply stated that delaying the abortion "did not pose an undo burden on that right."

For 45 years, wishy-washy Republicans have bragged about being "pro-life" and have voted for all kinds of compromised "pro-life" bills that have done absolutely NOTHING to overturn Roe v Wade and stop the slaughter of over 60 million unborn babies. Kavanaugh was a clerk for Anthoney Kennedy and rose to power in the rabid neocon administration of G.W. Bush. His "pro-life" credentials are mired in compromise.

Kavanaugh is also being heralded as supporting the pro-Second Amendment Heller decision. But Kavanaugh himself said that the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms could be regulated and restricted by State and Federal law as long as these regulations and restrictions did not take away the right (the Second Amendment) completely. That's hardly a pro-Second Amendment position.

Yes, the radical leftists will vehemently protest Kavanaugh's appointment. That means NOTHING. The Deep State doesn't care about the protestations of the left or the right. All it cares about is putting people in the power that they can control--and Kavanaugh fits the mold perfectly. Like I said, Trump's pick of Brett Kavanaugh is just MORE OF THE SAME.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    That's all I need to hear. Thumbs down.
    Yep. I think a lot of people misheard Trump when he said drain the swamp. he was speaking German and said drain his "Schwanz....right in their faces.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Karl Rove approved, good to go

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post
    Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, and Mike Lee will vote against Brett K.
    Yeah we all know that's bull$#@!.

Cruz and Lee won't even put up a fight, and Rand will bitch and moan about 'principles' but would never actually buck Trump's nominee.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Yeah we all know that's bull$#@!.

Cruz and Lee won't even put up a fight, and Rand will bitch and moan about 'principles' but would never actually buck Trump's nominee.
    Very astute. I expect this to be the case.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Ocasio-Cortez: Brett Kavanaugh’s View on POTUS Indictment ‘Automatic Disqualification’

https://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...qualification/

Congressional candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez declared Monday evening Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s view on presidential indictments renders President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee unfit to serve.

Not happy with this pick. Thumbs down on this one, Trump.

The amount of fake promotion of this fringe progressive is so unauthentic it's almost pathetic. I wonder if this will keep going at this rate they tried to push this during the 2016 election but it's not resonating with the voters at all. They don't have any left movement just voters rejecting the establishment and voting for anything they perceive as anti-establishment.

Don't like 'im. Gimme Judge Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I told everyone he wouldn't be picked because of his age, now that he didn't it blows the whole theory that his Russiagate antics were just designed to ease his confirmation.

Judge Swamp.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    You'd think that Jeb Bush was President with this pick.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Napster needs to be talking to this man if he wants a job- he wrote the list Trump picked from (and he wasn't on it): http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...706-story.html

Yes, he is Catholic which may help to explain why so many Catholics wind up on his list.

Leonard Leo of the Federalist Society is the man to see if you aspire to the Supreme Court

Leonard Leo, a vice president of the conservative Federalist Society, will soon have his own grateful bloc of ideological allies on the Supreme Court.

Since the 1990s, he has been one of the most important inside players in the conservative legal movement and the man to see for those who aspire to sit on the nation’s highest courts.

Leo has been a longtime friend and champion of Justice Clarence Thomas, and he played a crucial role in promoting the two most recent Republican appointees to the high court: Justices Samuel A. Alito Jr. and Neil M. Gorsuch.

And on Monday, President Trump is expected to nominate another new justice from the short list prepared by Leo and the Federalist Society.

It is quite an accomplishment for a young lawyer who came to Washington not for money or prestige, but instead to transform the Supreme Court and to bring it in line with conservative principles, including ending a court-created right to abortion.

“No one has been more dedicated to the enterprise of building a Supreme Court that will overturn Roe vs. Wade than the Federalist Society’s Leonard Leo,” Ed Whelan, a former clerk for Justice Antonin Scalia and president of the Ethics and Public Policy Center, wrote in December 2016, shortly before President Trump nominated Gorsuch to fill Scalia’s seat.

For his part, Leo, 52, downplays the talk of overturning the abortion right. “The left has been using Roe vs. Wade as a scare tactic since 1982,” he said in a recent TV interview. “This is not about overturning a particular case. It’s about getting the Constitution right.”

Leo’s detractors scoff at such claims and predict that a solidly conservative court will target liberal rulings.

Leo is always careful to emphasize that Trump is in charge of the court selection process, with the assistance of White House Counsel Donald McGahn, who describes himself as a proud member of the Federalist Society. Leo describes the task of his group and the Heritage Foundation as one of screening judges to find the best thinkers and writers who adhere to the principles of “textualism” and “originalism” that are favored on the right.

This is not an academic exercise, however. Coming out on the wrong side in a highly charged case — like with the dispute over President Obama’s healthcare law — could knock any Republican judge out of contention.

In interviews, Leo often speaks of his Catholic faith and of the role it plays in his daily life. He and his wife, Sally, have had seven children. Their first, Margaret, was born with spina bifida. She was confined to a wheelchair and suffered from medical problems, but he has said she had a spirit that lifted her family. Since her death in 2007, Leo says he has gone to Mass daily.

He first gained attention in 2005 when he played a key role in elevating a little-known judge from New Jersey. Alito had served on the U.S. 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals for 15 years and had compiled a record as a smart and reliable conservative. Though Alito had served as a lawyer in the Reagan administration, he was not a familiar name to many in the Washington legal community. He was, however, known and admired by Leo.

In early October 2005, President George W. Bush announced he was nominating White House Counsel Harriet Miers to fill the seat of retiring Justice Sandra Day O’Connor. But leaders of the conservative legal movement objected loudly, labeling her as unprepared and unreliable.

Bush retreated and withdrew her nomination at the end of month. Four days later, he announced he was nominating Alito to the Supreme Court. In the 12 years since then, Alito has been a steady, predictable conservative. When the court has been split, he has not joined with the liberals in any case of significance.

Leo’s role has grown since Trump took office. Trump promised repeatedly on the campaign trail that he would name conservative, “pro-life justices” to the high court, but he did not have a deep and experienced team of legal advisors.

But Leo and the Federalist Society were prepared. A few days after Trump’s surprise election victory, Leo was at Trump Tower in New York offering his thoughts on how to proceed in filling the seat left vacant by Scalia’s death.

During the campaign, Trump took the unusual step of announcing he would choose his Supreme Court nominees from two lists that together included 20 judges or lawyers. Since then, a third list added five more people. Although the outside groups prepared the lists, Leo says Trump deserves the credit.

Trump nominates someone totally uncontroversial and the left is still saying the guy is an extremist who will turn the US into a totalitarian dictatorship. If he saw that coming, it's a pretty good move.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

It is not too late for President Trump to withdraw Judge Kavanaugh’s name for confirmation by the U.S. Senate and to nominate a true conservative, not a Bush-Cheney Republican establishment swamp creature. But if he does not do so, as a “favor” to him and the nation, Freedom Watch and I will do all ethically and legally proper to oppose Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation. The Fourth Amendment prohibiting unreasonable searches and seizures is too important to trash, as this was what our Founding Fathers pledged their sacred honor and risked their lives for to form a new free nation — and then write, enact and implement our Constitution. Go to www.freedomwatchusa.org to support this cause.

More at: https://www.newsmax.com/larryklayman...ontent=2263369

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I told everyone he wouldn't be picked because of his age, now that he didn't it blows the whole theory that his Russiagate antics were just designed to ease his confirmation.

Judge Swamp.
    Say it with me.

President Swamp
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

If the Judge was 60 as opposed to 68 and he stayed on the Supreme Court until he was 85 or 90, I'd be ok with it.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), whose vote could be critical for confirming President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, said the judge is “clearly” qualified for the position.“When you look at the credentials that Judge Kavanaugh brings to the job, it’ll be very difficult for anyone to argue that he’s not qualified for the job. He clearly is qualified for the job,” Collins told reporters on Tuesday when asked whether she faced an easier decision with Kavanaugh than Judge Amy Comey Barrett, who was on the president’s short list and is seen as more hostile to reproductive rights.
    The moderate GOP senator added, however, that she would take into consideration “other issues involving judicial temperament and his judicial philosophy” before making a final decision.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/susan-col...205544344.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post

And he had Kenneth Starr as a boss for a time...

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mitch McConnell had moved heaven and earth to get Gorsuch a seat.
    Was he always in Kavenaugh's corner? Is this HIS deal? The biggie?
    Last edited by Aratus; 07-11-2018 at 12:56 AM. Reason: SenMitchMcC = THAhhhh SWAMP

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Yes. I know.
    I can't post tweets, properly.
    Back off.

Mike Lee

Verified account

@SenMikeLee
    4h4 hours ago
    More
    Judge Kavanaugh is a well-respected jurist who deservedly received bipartisan support when confirmed to the D.C. Circuit in 2006. I know him to be a smart and fair judge, one of the most admired appellate judges in the country. #SCOTUS #SCOTUSpick

This is promising

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    Mitch McConnell had moved heaven and earth to get Gorsuch a seat.
    Was he always in Kavenaugh's corner? Is this HIS deal? The biggie?
    It may have been Kennedy's deal.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Gave Roberts the blueprint to save Obamacare. Dismissed Rand Paul's suit against the NSA to stop illegal spying. Wrote that collecting Americans' phone records was not a 'search and seizure' as applicable to the Fourth Amendment--and even if it is, terrorism trumps the Fourth.

The Democrats, who still try to lay claim to being the protectors of our civil rights, don't even mention this stuff in their opposition and there are still enough Single Issue Voters and Blind Partisan Team Players among the Republicans to ignore this alligator. Partisanship is a useful tool for Teh Swamp.

I hope Paul and Lee vote against him so a couple more Swamp Democrats have to out themselves to get this tool confirmed.
    We believe our lying eyes...

I don't understand how people are claiming that this guy is an originalist.

He bases his opinions on prior established rulings and 'laws.'
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Judge Swamp.
    You were wrong, the real Judge Swamp was picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    You were wrong, the real Judge Swamp was picked.
    Another Judge Swamp.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Jesuit Supremes, Coach Kavanaugh

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast