Thread: More women looking to become 'consecrated virgins', Vatican says

Exclamation More women looking to become 'consecrated virgins', Vatican says

More women looking to become 'consecrated virgins', Vatican says

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8435186.html

An increasing number Catholic women are taking life-long chastity vows in order to “dedicate themselves” to God, according to the Vatican.

The Holy See has issued new guidance on consecrated virginity in response to growing interest across the world in the little-known spiritual “vocation”.

Consecrated virgins are unmarried women who pledge to remain celibate for their entire lives, eschewing romantic or sexual relationships to devote themselves exclusively to being mystical “brides of Christ”.

Unlike nuns, they take on no role within the church. Instead of joining a religious order, they continue to live in their own homes and work in conventional jobs.

There are thought to be up to 5,000 consecrated virgins across the world, including an estimated 200 in the UK.

While rare and little-known even within the church, the lifestyle is considered to be Christianity’s oldest form of total devotion to God, with roots in ancient Rome.

During the Middle Ages, the practice all but disappeared following the emergence of communal forms of consecration, such as convents.

But in the 1960s the Vatican revived the ancient Order of Virgins, which reintroduced the concept of women being betrothed to God while living alone or with families rather than in religious communities.

The Vatican this week issued guidance on consecrated virginity in response to requests from bishops, who it said had reported “rapidly” growing interest among women in their congregations.

“Since this form of consecrated life was reintroduced in the church, there has been a real revival of the Ordo virginum [Order of Virgins],” said Archsbishop Jose Rodríguez Carballo, secretary of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life.

“The phenomenon appears to be very significant, not only for the number of women involved, but also for its diffusion throughout all continents, in many countries and Dioceses and in very diverse geographic areas and cultural contexts."

The Vatican’s guidance states that women can only be admitted to consecration by a diocesan bishop and must “follow Christ [and] embrace his chaste, poor and obedient way of life”.

Consecrated women must “dedicate themselves to prayer, penance, the works of mercy and the apostolate,” it adds.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thumbs down consecrated virgins = incels

Catholic Incels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Such virtuous paths of chastity in pursuit of devotion to God through prayer and self-restraint is as ancient as Christianity itself and finds its roots in the Old Testament. As St. Paul said, this is truly the angelic path in this world, (the higher and more blessed path compared to marriage). It is also the harder path given our lustful inclinations and passions. With all the craziness coming out from the liberal wing of Catholicism lately, this is welcomed news. May God bless those who have chosen, like Martha’s sister Mary, the greater things.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Such virtuous paths of chastity in pursuit of devotion to God through prayer and self-restraint is as ancient as Christianity itself and finds its roots in the Old Testament. As St. Paul said, this is truly the angelic path in this world, (the higher and more blessed path compared to marriage). It is also the harder path given our lustful inclinations and passions. With all the craziness coming out from the liberal wing of Catholicism lately, this is welcomed news. May God bless those who have chosen, like Martha’s sister Mary, the greater things.
    Yes, the people with the most self-control should definitely not reproduce and pass on those genes.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It does not speak very well of the example of marriage demonstrated by many in the faith.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Yes, the people with the most self-control should definitely not reproduce and pass on those genes.
    The meaning of life is not about getting married and have children, although it is a very blessed path.
    +

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    It does not speak very well of the example of marriage demonstrated by many in the faith.
    Can you elaborate on that euphemia? I’m not sure I understand what you are saying.
    Last edited by TER; 07-08-2018 at 05:26 PM.
    +

I think many young women grew up with poor marriage examples in their families and churches. I can see committing to consecrated virginity as a way not to repeat the family history. I don’t doubt for an instant these women are devoted to God, but I don’t think it happens in a vacuum, either.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    While rare and little-known even within the church, the lifestyle is considered to be Christianity’s oldest form of total devotion to God, with roots in ancient Rome.
    They conveniently forget Greek and Antiochian monasteries are older...usual Roman egotism.

i.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Athos
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-08-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I think many young women grew up with poor marriage examples in their families and churches. I can see committing to consecrated virginity as a way not to repeat the family history. I don’t doubt for an instant these women are devoted to God, but I don’t think it happens in a vacuum, either.
    I understand better now what you were saying. Yes, I agree with you, that for some (more than some?), it was poor marriage examples within their own families which led them to renounce the world (and its worldly expectations) in order to find fullness and peace in a life devoted primarily to God.

I think statistically however, the majority (at least, in those who take the full step and enter into monasticism), they come from a household of loving, faithful and pious parents. At least, anectdotely, that is what I have found in my experience and travels, but I may be wrong.
    Last edited by TER; 07-08-2018 at 10:23 PM.
    +

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    They conveniently forget Greek and Antiochian monasteries are older...usual Roman egotism.

i.e. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Athos
    The first full fledge structured monasteries started in the 3rd century in Upper Egypt and the Levant and quickly spread into Gaul and the rest of the Roman Empire.

Tradition holds that the history of hermetical Christian living on Mount Athos began in the first century when the Virgin Mary visited it. Before her visit, Mount Athos was a land inhabited with pagan hermits and temples:

In 49 AD, Mary set sail for the island of Cyprus to visit her friend Lazurus. During her journey a great storm arose and Mary's ship, blown far off course, was guided by divine signs to a protected bay on the eastern coast of Athos. Gazing upward at the towering mountain and its beautiful forests Mary declared, "This mountain is holy ground. Let it now be my portion. Here let me remain." Mooring her boat near the site of the present day monastery of Iveron, Mary came upon an ancient temple and oracle dedicated to Apollo. As she stepped ashore a great crashing sound resounded across the peninsula and all the idols and pagan statues came crashing to the ground (it is interesting to note that a well documented earthquake occurred in northern Greece in 49 AD). The great stone statue of Apollo spoke out, declaring itself a false idol and calling the forest hermits of Athos to come and pay homage to the Panaghia, the true mother of God. The hermits were baptized and thus began the glorious Christian history of Mt. Athos.

The large monasteries which now spot the holy peninsula did not arise until many centuries later, namely between the 8th to the 10th century.

Nevertheless, the path of celibacy and a life in ceaseless prayer and complete devotion to God started much earlier, before the Incarnation and in many religions of the ancient world, not only Judaism.
    Last edited by TER; 07-08-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    +

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    The first full fledge structured monasteries started in the 3rd century in Upper Egypt and the Levant and quickly spread into Gaul and the rest of the Roman Empire. Tradition holds that the history of hermetical Christian living on Mount Athos began in the first century when the Virgin Mary visited it. Before her visit, Mount Athos was a land inhabited with pagan hermits:

In 49 AD, Mary set sail for the island of Cyprus to visit her friend Lazurus. During her journey a great storm arose and Mary's ship, blown far off course, was guided by divine signs to a protected bay on the eastern coast of Athos. Gazing upward at the towering mountain and its beautiful forests Mary declared, "This mountain is holy ground. Let it now be my portion. Here let me remain." Mooring her boat near the site of the present day monastery of Iveron, Mary came upon an ancient temple and oracle dedicated to Apollo. As she stepped ashore a great crashing sound resounded across the peninsula and all the idols and pagan statues came crashing to the ground (it is interesting to note that a well documented earthquake occurred in northern Greece in 49 AD). The great stone statue of Apollo spoke out, declaring itself a false idol and calling the forest hermits of Athos to come and pay homage to the Panaghia, the true mother of God. The hermits were baptized and thus began the glorious Christian history of Mt. Athos.

The large monasteries which now spot the holy peninsula did not arise until many centuries later, namely between the 8th to the 10th century.

Nevertheless, the path of celibacy and a life in ceaseless prayer and complete devotion to God started much earlier, before the Incarnation and in many religions of the ancient world, not only Judaism.
    They would be considered technically Antiochian, yes? As the Acts of the Apostles says, "they were first called Christians at Antioch". Antioch (modern day Syria and thereabouts) is certainly Levantine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    They would be considered technically Antiochian, yes? As the Acts of the Apostles says, "they were first called Christians at Antioch". Antioch (modern day Syria and thereabouts) is certainly Levantine.
    Yes, Antioch would be considered to be in the region formerly called the Levant. One of the earliest monastic brotherhoods known started in Syria called ‘the sons of the covenant” just around the time the Egyptian deserts became widely inhabited by hermit monks.

By the middle to end of the first century, the city of Antioch was the greatest center of Christianity as many baptized faithful fled the persecutions in Israel. It was there where St. Paul the Apostle ‘to the Gentiles’ was groomed and educated about the faith by St. Peter, the Apostle ‘to the Hebrews’.
    Last edited by TER; 07-08-2018 at 11:20 PM.
    +

A new Vatican document sparked ire among consecrated virgins with a ruling that virginity is no longer a prerequisite to become a “Bride of Christ.”
    The document, Ecclesiae Sponsae Imago, published by the Vatican’s Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life July 4, serves as a new instructional concerning consecrated virginity. The instructional clarifies that while physical virginity and chastity are important aspects of the life of a “bride of Christ,” they are not prerequisites that, if unmet, would absolutely disqualify a woman from being consecrated as one.

More at: http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/16/va...ontent=2265809
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment