Thread: End of BANANAS?

End of BANANAS?

I sure hope Occam'''s Banana has had his shots or,,, at least,,, stays out of Panama and avoids close contact with other bananas!!!

Experts say a special breed found in Madagascar could hold the key to keeping them alive.

But there are only five known trees in existence.

Scientists are racing to develop new banana varieties strong enough to survive Panama disease, which is a major threat to banana crops around the world.

Because bananas are clones, the disease is able to spread very quickly from one to another.

It is currently wreaking havoc with crops in Asia – but could wipe out the world’s supply if it spreads to America.

Richard Allen, senior conservation assessor at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, told the BBC: “It doesn’t have Panama disease in it, so perhaps it has genetic traits against the disease.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2018/07/...nd-of-bananas/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How much can I get for a couple Madagascar banana trees ?
    Do something Danke

Same thing happened a few years back with avacados. If it wasn't for GM, there probably wouldn't be any avocados. At least none that we could afford.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    How much can I get for a couple Madagascar banana trees ?
    Be aware that:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44712034

The Madagascan banana produces seeds within the fruit, which means it is not palatable to eat. But cross-breeding could lead to a new type of banana that would be both edible and resilient.

The banana grows on the edge of forests, where it is vulnerable to damage from severe weather events as well as from logging, fires and the clearing of forests for farming.
    "It doesn't have Panama disease in it, so perhaps it has genetic traits against the disease," he said.

"We don't know until we actually do research on the banana itself, but we can't do the research until it's saved."
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-07-2018 at 01:58 PM.

But Cavendish is not the only type of banana either- just the most popular and most grown.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/types-of-bananas-4018334

Apple Bananas

Apple bananas are exceptionally sweet, hence their other name, Candy Apple Banana. They are grown in the rainy tropical forests in Hawaii. Their flesh is firm and has a slight pinkish tone. The sweet, moist fruit is perfect for snacking or using in desserts and is particularly well suited to adding to fruit salads and other raw preparations since it doesn't brown as quickly as other banana varieties

Lady's Finger Bananas

Lady's Finger bananas are smaller and sweeter than the ubiquitous longer, milder Cavendish. They can be used in the same way, but make particularly portion-controlled snacks, especially for kids.

Pisang Raja

Pisang Raja bananas are popular in Indonesia, where they are often used to make banana fritters. They are also known as Musa Belle bananas.

Red Bananas

There are many types of red bananas, but they share two key things in common: they look super cool, and they tend to be on the sweeter side of the banana flavor family. Eat them out of hand or add them to dishes, but when they're red, they're ready to eat!

Cooking Bananas

Cooking bananas, like plantains, are better thought of as potatoes than as bananas. They can be roasted, steamed, fried into tasty chips, and otherwise used like any starchy vegetable. They are sold green, and many different types of bananas can be used as "cooking bananas" while they're still green and starchy.
    And there are actually many more.

End of BANANAS?

I never eat the ends anyway.. Just the insides.

anyway it is only the end of one cloned variety that has been exploited since the 60s.

There are over 1,000 varieties of wild banana in the world. But 95% of banana exports come from a single cultivated variety, the Cavendish. They are basically clones, that is, genetically identical plants. This means they do not have seeds and are nicer to eat.
    I had a tiny (Cuban) Banana plant in Key West. Smaller sweeter bananas.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    But Cavendish is not the only type of banana either- just the most popular and most grown.

Apple bananas are exceptionally sweet, hence their other name, Candy Apple Banana. They are grown in the rainy tropical forests in Hawaii. Their flesh is firm and has a slight pinkish tone. The sweet, moist fruit is perfect for snacking or using in desserts and is particularly well suited to adding to fruit salads and other raw preparations since it doesn't brown as quickly as other banana varieties

And there are actually many more.
    I know. I've actually had an apple/banana. I didn't like it. It tasted like an apple but had the texture of a banana. It just felt wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

So my Madagascar banana trees will make me even richer .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But I love bananas.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

This $#@! is bananas. B A N A N A S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

I thought Bananas as we knew them (I never experienced) were killed off in the 60's or 70's? Banana trees dont pollinate the same way as other plants. New banana trees were simply branches that were planted in the ground and took root. This came with a drawback of every banana tree being genetically identical, thus, they were highly susceptible to certain diseases, and all the banana trees back in the day of the same genes were wiped out.

Todays yellow bananas are also mutations. Two species of bananas are used to create a Hybrid. I dont remember which one is which, but there are Red and Green Bananas. I think Green Bananas have a thin skin but the pulp is bitter and nasty tasting. Red Bananas had skins that were way too thick and very little pulp, but taste sweet. The Hybrid produces Yellow Bananas (genetically different than those mentioned in the first paragraph, which is why "classic" banana flavors taste nothing like banana we have today). Yellow hybrids have thin skin and taste sweet.

Because we have no Bananas today!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.