Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Pruitt Resigns EPA Amid "Scandals"

Scott Pruitt Resigns EPA Amid "Scandals"

Wow, looks like the deep state got him..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...gns/480430002/

Trump EPA chief Scott Pruitt resigns as ethical scandals mount

WASHINGTON — Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt has resigned, President Donald Trump announced Thursday, ending a tenure marked by allegations of misconduct.

Deputy EPA lead Andrew Wheeler will replace Pruitt, Trump tweeted

"Within the Agency Scott has done an outstanding job, and I will always be thankful to him for this," Trump said, not mentioning the scandals that befell Pruitt.

Pruitt and his allies including Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, claimed he was the target of a leftwing conspiracy to get rid of him because of his aggressive efforts to undo Obama-era rules. By shedding Pruitt, the president has lost his most ardent and effective deregulator.

But even the president, who has frequently praised the agency's work under Pruitt, came to the conclusion that the former Oklahoma attorney general's professional achievements were not worth the steady media drip of Pruitt's personal peccadilloes.

Those issues became an avalanche in recent weeks as scrutiny mounted over his first-class flights, top aides getting huge pay raises after the White House rejected them, and the cozy rental arrangement he had with a lobbyist who is also a personal friend.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope his replacement is as good at rolling back the enviro-tyranny.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

He had some problems. Top among them was not having any problem spending taxpayers money like a drunken sailor on a three-day shore leave. But, yeah, he has done a good job of rolling back many of Obama era fatwahs.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 07-05-2018 at 02:18 PM.

The stunning hypocrisy of Scott Pruitt’s request for around-the-clock bodyguards - https://thinkprogress.org/scott-prui...-32916d5ab162/

Terrible news. He was outstanding.

However he ripped off a goodly amount of public
    monies & perks on the way out the door... besides
    if need be, DJT can pardon the fool. what his leaving
    does is let Trump play musical chairs. WIN/WIN ...?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    The stunning hypocrisy of Scott Pruitt’s request for around-the-clock bodyguards - https://thinkprogress.org/scott-prui...-32916d5ab162/
    Maybe if leftists weren't inciting violence against conservatives he wouldn't need them, his replacement will need them as well if we are lucky enough to get someone as good or better.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    He had some problems. Top among them was not having any problem spending taxpayers money like a drunken sailor on a three-day shore leave. But, yeah, he has done a good job of rolling back many of Obama era fatwahs.
    No, that was actually a good thing - it is better to spend money that is intended for the EPA on first class airline tickets that fund the EPA.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    However he ripped off a goodly amount of public
    monies & perks on the way out the door... besides
    if need be, DJT can pardon the fool. what his leaving
    does is let Trump play musical chairs. WIN/WIN ...?
    LOL, you would have rather the EPA spent the money??? First class airline tix is a much better way to spend money intended for the EPA, as opposed to funding the EPA..

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No, that was actually a good thing - it is better to spend money that is intended for the EPA on first class airline tickets that fund the EPA.
    I'm sure he was being liberty minded in that decision. Couldn't he have just written a check from the EPA to the treasury?

I'm sure he was being liberty minded in that decision.
    Seems so.

Couldn't he have just written a check from the EPA to the treasury?
    I highly doubt it. If he could do that, he could just return all of the EPAs funding, which I'm sure he would have been happy to do.

Seems so.
    Naw. Doesn't pass the smell test. He just wanted to live high on the hog like all government functionaries.

ETA: He could have used the whole budget to purchase ads and billboards that read: "The EPA is not an enumerated power." But, he chose flying first class instead.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 07-05-2018 at 02:50 PM.

The issues he was attacked on were petty in comparison to some of the other abuses past bureaucrats have gotten away with completely unscathed. I think we all know that Washington filth is committing heinous crimes on a daily basis, yet rarely if ever, receives any real form of punishment.

This is about taking down someone that threatened to take away power from an enormously bloated EPA regulation gestapo. Sounds like he did some damage before they (media attack dogs + inside leakers + ?) finally ousted him.

ETA: He could have used the whole budget to purchase ads and billboards that read: "The EPA is not an enumerated power." But, he chose flying first class instead.
    You just got my vote for EPA Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Champuckett View Post
    The issues he was attacked on were petty in comparison to some of the other abuses past bureaucrats have gotten away with completely unscathed. I think we all know that Washington filth is committing heinous crimes on a daily basis, yet rarely if ever, receives any real form of punishment.

This is about taking down someone that threatened to take away power from an enormously bloated EPA regulation gestapo. Sounds like he did some damage before they (media attack dogs + inside leakers + ?) finally ousted him.
    His back up will continue in much the same way. Has the progressives terrified...

On Thursday, President Donald Trump announced the resignation of scandal-plagued EPA Chief Scott Pruitt. The President said that the future of the agency “looked bright” with Andrew Wheeler at the helm.

“We have made tremendous progress and the future of the EPA is very bright!” the President announced.

The future might be bright for the coal industry, if not so much for humans and plants, both of which need sunlight and air to survive.

Here are 6 horrifying things about Pruitt’s replacement, Andrew Wheeler.

1. His last gig was as a coal industry lobbyist. Wheeler worked for Murray Energy Corporation—the largest coal mining company in America. Wheeler must have been good at his job promoting big coal interests, netting close to $3 million for the gig.

2. Murray Energy’s CEO, who doesn’t believe in climate science, worked hard to stall the Obama administration’s efforts to pass environmental protections.

3. Wheeler formally worked for James Inhofe, pre-eminent climate change denier, according to DeSmog blog.

4. While Wheeler worked for Murray Energy, the company was forced to pay millions in fines for contaminating water in three states with coal slurry, the Columbus Dispatch reported.

5. Prior to his nomination, Wheeler hosted fundraisers for Senators in order to evaluate his chance of getting the post.

6. According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, Wheeler presents a dire threat to mitigating the negative effects of climate change. “Unlike Pruitt, Wheeler worked for the EPA early in his career and has played key roles in Congressional oversight of the agency and its budget, making him a formidable opponent with intimate knowledge of the agency’s programs and regulations,” they wrote.
    https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/6-h...ndrew-wheeler/

His back up will continue in much the same way. Has the progressives terrified...

Good to hear.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The top single effort that I could praise Trump on, smacking down the EPA, run off by screeching Bolshevik mobs.

There will not be a return to limited government and enumerated powers without a fight or secession.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The top single effort that I could praise Trump on, smacking down the EPA, run off by screeching Bolshevik mobs.

There will not be a return to limited government and enumerated powers without a fight or secession.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Not just the Bolsheviks. He pissed off GOP Senator Grassley for giving refineries "hardship" exemptions from using ethanol.

Grassley had previously threatened to call for Pruitt to resign over ethanol policy.

He issued the threat in May as part of a warning to Pruitt against the EPA’s reported “hardship” waivers, which are given to fuel refineries to exempt them from the federal ethanol mandate under the Renewable Fuel Standard.

Trump said in his tweet on Thursday that Pruitt will be replaced on Monday by EPA Deputy Administrator Andrew Wheeler, a former energy lobbyist who was confirmed to his No. 2 position in April.

Grassley added that he hopes Wheeler "views this as an opportunity to restore this Administration’s standing with farmers and the biofuels industry."
    http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...right-decision

Abolish the EPA.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Pruitt was eating out this week and was confronted with a young woman who lectured him about his abuses.

In some respects I guess it takes a wake up call like this to make bureaucrats realize taxpayers are paying attention. They work for us, remember, not the other way around.

What if Pruitt didn't spend any of his budget and returned it all to the treasury? What if he had just spent time downsizing the staff and getting the department ready to close? That would have been better than what he did.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    What if Pruitt didn't spend any of his budget and returned it all to the treasury? What if he had just spent time downsizing the staff and getting the department ready to close? That would have been better than what he did.
    I don't think he could have done any of those things.

I like the billboard idea though.

Pruitt has been pushing to try and get Trump to name him to replace Jeff Sessions. He wants to be Attorney General.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b05127cced556f

Pruitt Asked Trump To Fire Sessions, Let Him Run Justice Department: Report

The EPA administrator is facing more than a dozen federal ethics investigations.

Multiple sources told CNN that Environmental Protection Agency chief Scott Pruitt asked President Donald Trump in the spring to fire Attorney General Jeff Sessions and put him in charge, the cable news outlet reported Tuesday.

According to the three sources familiar with the matter, Pruitt proposed to Trump that he would temporarily replace Sessions for 210 days under the Vacancies Reform Act and then return to Oklahoma to run for office.

CNN reported in April that this was an option Trump was already considering as his frustrations with Sessions mounted and his support for Pruitt remained steadfast, despite the 14 federal ethics investigations into the EPA administrator and an onslaught of scandals.

On Monday, it emerged that a former Pruitt aide told federal investigators that the EPA administrator had asked her to help his wife find a job paying her a salary of at least $200,000.

Pruitt’s spending habits have also become a consistent source of inquiry. In late June, reports emerged that he had spent even more taxpayer money on security expenses than the millions previously disclosed, including tens of thousands on tactical clothing.

Other reports allege Pruitt sent his security team out on errands, including dry-cleaning trips and one to find his favorite luxury lotion from the Ritz-Carlton.

Despite Pruitt’s ongoing scandals, Trump has directed more ire at Sessions over his decision to recuse himself from the investigation into the Trump campaign’s possible collusion with Russia during the 2016 election.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...610-story.html

Trump regularly talks to Pruitt about his distaste for Jeff Sessions

President Trump likes to chat with embattled EPA boss Scott Pruitt about his distaste for Attorney General Jeff Sessions, according to a report.

The commander-in-chief regularly dishes with the Environmental Protection Agency leader in spite of aides’ pleas that he ax the scandal-tarnished Pruitt, The New York Times reported Sunday.

Trump’s made little secret of his contempt for Sessions, an early campaign supporter who later recused himself from the probe into Russian election meddling when he became attorney general.

The President’s blamed Robert Mueller’s hiring as special counsel for the Russia probe on the Alabama Republican’s decision to stay out of the investigation.

“The Russian Witch Hunt Hoax continues, all because Jeff Sessions didn’t tell me he was going to recuse himself...I would have quickly picked someone else,” Trump lamented in a tweet last week. “So much time and money wasted, so many lives ruined...and Sessions knew better than most that there was No Collusion!”

It wasn’t particularly clear what Trump was discussing with Pruitt.

He defended Pruitt last week for “doing a great job within the walls of the EPA,” even though he’s been criticized for meetings with lobbyists and reports he’s abused the privileges of his office.

The revelation was part of a report of low White House morale, which has left Chief of Staff John Kelly eyeing the door after less than a year on the job.

White House staffers have been left in chaos — something allies told The Times the President thrives on — and Kelly said to a group of senators last week it’s “a miserable place to work.”

One of the retired Marine general’s deputies, Joe Hagin, is also gunning for a CIA job to get out of the West Wing, The Times reported.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I hope his replacement is as good at rolling back the enviro-tyranny.
    They could give me the job for a day and I would fire them all .
    Do something Danke

I don't think he could have done any of those things.

I like the billboard idea though.
    I don't know. Some projects were down to skeleton staffing. He could have done it all. I think this appointment was one of Trump's big mistakes. This should have been something he dealt with swiftly. "Scott, you are creating some problems. We are going to close this department. Your expense account is closed as of now. Get your staff to start packing up. Give them good recommendations. We will give them generous severance packages. Let's get this thing done. Tell the building managers we will buy out the leases. Plan to be done by Sept. 1.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I don't know. Some projects were down to skeleton staffing. He could have done it all. I think this appointment was one of Trump's big mistakes. This should have been something he dealt with swiftly. "Scott, you are creating some problems. We are going to close this department. Your expense account is closed as of now. Get your staff to start packing up. Give them good recommendations. We will give them generous severance packages. Let's get this thing done. Tell the building managers we will buy out the leases. Plan to be done by Sept. 1.
    I don't think Trump could have done that, either. Would be nice tho.

He could try. The timing is bad, though. I think some other things take priority. Jimmie Carter was the one who elevated the EPA to cabinet level status. It seems like it can be demoted just as easily.
    #NashvilleStrong

Environment is not fed responsibility.
    Do something Danke

according to a report
    Who's report?

The New York Times reported
    Oh, OK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast