Thread: Companies must let customers cancel subscriptions online, California law says

Companies must let customers cancel subscriptions online, California law says

https://www.cnet.com/news/companies-...rnia-law-says/

JULY 3, 2018

No more searching for a sketchy 1-800 number.

A California law that went into effect July 1 is aimed at making it easier for customers to cancel their subscriptions online.

The law states that customers who accept an automatic renewal or continuous service offer online must be able to cancel the service online. That could include a pre-written "termination email" provided by the company that can be sent by the consumer without the need for more information.

The law means you won't have to make anymore phone calls to obscure customer service hotlines to cancel services like news subscriptions, music streaming or meal plans, for example.

One person tweeted about trying to cancel a New York Times subscription on the phone and being put on hold for 15 minutes -- twice.

The law has implications far beyond California, as it applies to all companies and publishers with paying customers in the state.

The new law also states that companies have to present the terms of an automatic renewal or continuous service offer in a "clear and conspicuous manner." Businesses with service offers that include a free gift or trial have to clearly explain the price that'll be charged after the trial ends. They also have to disclose to customers how to cancel the service before they pay.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like the sentiment, but why does it have to be a “law”?

Consumers are losing all ability to influence the markets through dollar votes. Now, we need gubmint.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I like the sentiment, but why does it have to be a “law”?

Consumers are losing all ability to influence the markets through dollar votes. Now, we need gubmint.
    I had a discussion about this type of stuff at work today, then at some point I was asked why I work. Which dumbfounded me, as the whole thing I was trying to talk about is self-responsibility... Then I was blamed because in my world poor people would die. As you would guess, my point about high taxes and a government pretending to solve everything did not convince my colleagues that people would otherwise be more charitable and caring for each other.

But yeah.. Why a law. I never had a problem in dealing with companies. I now have a checklist for whenever I have to call my ISP (hasn't happened in a year or two) after having no internet for more than 10 minutes.. On this checklist is every default question they will ask and I will read it out and confirm it to them if I have to call... Then I'll say: Please fix my problem. Then they say: "Didn't you get the email about the maintenance.", then I say: "I don't know, haven't checked.

BTW, around here you can always send a letter to unsubscribe from stuff. Make them sign for receipt, no problem. I don't think there's a law for that here. Is there a reason you would HAVE TO call a customer hotline ?
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I had a discussion about this type of stuff at work today, then at some point I was asked why I work. Which dumbfounded me, as the whole thing I was trying to talk about is self-responsibility... Then I was blamed because in my world poor people would die. As you would guess, my point about high taxes and a government pretending to solve everything did not convince my colleagues that people would otherwise be more charitable and caring for each other.

But yeah.. Why a law. I never had a problem in dealing with companies. I now have a checklist for whenever I have to call my ISP (hasn't happened in a year or two) after having no internet for more than 10 minutes.. On this checklist is every default question they will ask and I will read it out and confirm it to them if I have to call... Then I'll say: Please fix my problem. Then they say: "Didn't you get the email about the maintenance.", then I say: "I don't know, haven't checked.

BTW, around here you can always send a letter to unsubscribe from stuff. Make them sign for receipt, no problem. I don't think there's a law for that here. Is there a reason you would HAVE TO call a customer hotline ?
    Have you tried unsubscribing from AOL?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Have you tried unsubscribing from AOL?
    I am fortunate enough never to have subscribed to the 'service'.
    "I am a bird"