Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Thai Soccer Team Found Alive

Missing Thai Soccer Team Found Alive

I haven't seen this mentioned, but a Thai boys' soccer team has been lost in a cave for 9 days. A diving team from UK found them alive. Very hungry, as you can imagine. Getting them out will be a big operation. Torrential rains flooded the cave. Fortunately the kids and their coach were able to find a ledge above the water, where they still await rescue.

Link
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You can bet the Trump administration won't get an ounce of credit....

The U.S. Pacific Command sent a 30-person rescue team to northern Thailand to aid the desperate search for a group of teen soccer players who disappeared in a vast system of caves five days ago.

The U.S. embassy in Bangkok said Thursday that the team was sent at the request of the Royal Thai government to assist the Thai military and local agencies in the region.

“The United States team is now in Chiang Rai and delivering search-and-rescue experience and capacity to the already tremendous efforts underway by Thai authorities," the embassy said in a statement. "We hope the players and their coach will be brought home quickly and safely.”
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...eam/741186002/

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    You can bet the Trump administration won't get an ounce of credit....
    In the US media. The rest of the world will be foaming at their mouths.

It's a pretty massive effort. Several countries have sent their best divers. There is a trained diver who is also a doctor. He is with the boys now trying to tend to their needs. Some of the passages are very narrow, and I can't imagine how they will manage to get enough food in there to feed them until a rescue plan is developed. They are a very long way from the entrance and they are very week from going without food. Fortunately for them, it is very hot, and they were able to drink fresh water coming through fissures in the cave walls.

I'm so happy the kids were found alive. Prayers for them and their rescuers.
    #NashvilleStrong

PS: I don't think Trump cares about getting credit.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    PS: I don't think Trump cares about getting credit.
    That's not my point. Obama was lauded in the press for rescue missions to Haiti, Japan, etc. Every single news article specifically stated "Obama sends rescue effort....." Can't find that in the press for Trump.

That's not my point. Obama was lauded in the press for rescue missions to Haiti, Japan, etc. Every single news article specifically stated "Obama sends rescue effort....." Can't find that in the press for Trump.
    Obama didn't have the white privilege.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good thing they were all found alive.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

But the Americans are there and are helping with the effort. This story has been in the news every day for 10 days. I don't think anyone dreamed they would be found alive. A team from the UK found them. The bigger effort is going to be getting them out. Most of the route is still submerged and the boys are very weak. I admire their calm.

The news story I saw on ABC was mostly picture of the kids in the cave and of their families waiting down near the mouth of the cave. The rescuers were not in this interview, but one of the American SEALS was.

This effort will define future rescues.
    #NashvilleStrong

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Obama didn't have the white privilege.
    Actually, Obama has had the "half-white" privilege

Last edited by Jan2017; 07-02-2018 at 05:14 PM.

I’m a little surprised at the countries who have sent teams. Myanmar, China, Laos, Australia, UK, and US. We sent 30. So far over a thousand people have been involved.
    Last edited by euphemia; 07-08-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    #NashvilleStrong

Good for them ! I remember the last time Danke got lost in a cave for nine days or more . It did not turn out so well for his fellow travelers .
    Do something Danke

Danke is probably there. He’s just more used to the aerial view. Not much to see from a plane in this case.

I have mostly been following this story on TV. I went back to do a search and it looks like tv coverage is solid. Every network is there. People magazine is there. Most of the papers are at least pulling wire service stories.
    Last edited by euphemia; 07-02-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

The rescue plan is developing.

I am fascinated.
    #NashvilleStrong

It is a very long ways in there- the article above says it could take three hours to get somebody out because of the distance they have to travel. And some of the openings are barely large enough for one person with tanks on to get through (no link- saw it on TV today).

The journey could take as long as three hours or more, so stage tanks will be positioned every 80 to 160 feet (25 to 50) meters in case oxygen levels start to run low and tanks need to be replaced. The boys will not be expected to carry their own oxygen tanks, instead relying on tanks carried by their rescuer. Ideally, only one boy would go at a time to prevent bottlenecks.
    From another link: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/worl...-a3878786.html

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A Thai diver died in the cave today. This rescue is a huge risk.

Elon Musk has become involved. Donating whatever money and equipment they need.
    #NashvilleStrong

Signs Mount That Rescue Effort Has Begun

Ambulances have been moved in place. Barriers erected to block all vantage points of the cave entrance.

As rumors grow that the operation to rescue at least one of 12 boys trapped in a flooded cave has begun in secret, the surge of activity outside suggests something is at least imminent.

No statements have been made since a morning briefing when the former governor leading the rescue operation said the conditions were right to bring them out today.

Every day has seen hundreds of rescuers, divers, laborers, soldiers, medics and volunteers swarm ling the site. Since this morning, that activity has multiplied.

Reddit has a pretty good thread on this. https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/co...ue_megathread/

They claim that The Guardian is reporting that the rescue effort is beginning.

"Our south Asia correspondent Michael Safi has learned that divers are at the site and the rescue operation will begin soon"
    Those poor kids. May God be with them all.

The rescue operation commenced around 10am local time and the soonest any boy will be freed is 9pm, said Narongsak Osatanakorn, former governor of Chiang Rai province, who is heading up the rescue operation.

They will be removed one-by-one and the operation could continue until at least tomorrow.

The team includes 13 international divers and five Thai navy Seals. “We can say they are all international all stars involved in this diving operation and we selected five of our best who can work with them,” Osatanakorn said.

The boys and their families had been informed. “Their health and their minds are ready and they all have knowledge of the mission,” he said. “They’re ready to go out.”

He said the 1.5km path from the cave entrance to the “third chamber” that has been a staging ground for the operation was not completely dry but mostly walkable. “Yesterday the water levels were the lowest they had been,” Osatanakorn said.

He would not say whether the boys would need to dive at all in the 1.7km journey from where they are sheltering to the third chamber.
    Anybody got a live stream?
    Last edited by angelatc; 07-07-2018 at 10:11 PM.

They had to start- oxygen levels have been dropping. And possibly more rain on the way to cause more flooding. Between the distances to cover and water currents, it could take five hours to get one person out.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...eatens-n889586

Another factor is the quality of air inside the boys’ chamber. Osottanakorn said on Friday that oxygen levels in their part of the cave had fallen to 15 percent — down from healthy levels of 21 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Reddit has a pretty good thread on this. https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/co...ue_megathread/

They claim that The Guardian is reporting that the rescue effort is beginning.

Those poor kids. May God be with them all.
    Amen. Bless them all. I'm terrified for the poor boys and the rescuers.

Anybody got a live stream?
    I thought I found one but the Thai authorities asked the media to leave. Understandable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

What makes this small group of people so important?
    Why does everyone concern themselves with a beached whale?
    People are homeless in our own cities and we need open borders and the world has to worry about a few people.
    What about all the people dying in distress in our own towns?
    What about babies being aborted?
    What about police shooting people with impunity?

I see the media make a big deal about a rescued dog. They utilize miracle medicine/medical technology to rescue one dog that is near death and euthanize millions of healthy ones while denying humans medical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Amen. Bless them all. I'm terrified for the poor boys and the rescuers.
    This is quite a story. Praying for a safe rescue.
    #NashvilleStrong

Four boys out. Working on the others

https://apnews.com/fe493ed3fa7542f39f9476f305a2056b/The-Latest:-4-Thai-soccer-team-members-rescued-from-cave

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    What makes this small group of people so important?
    If you ask this then you don't totally grasp humanity. There's no doubt that all of those things are important, but those issues are all complex and nobody can save the world. But every now and then, a story arises to the surface of this swirling onslaught we call life and simultaneously captures the hearts of millions.

This is one of those moments. The story has something for almost everybody: it has sports, kids, drama, a puzzle, and maybe even a happy ending.

The narrative will become spiteful later - it always does. The coach will be attacked, the parents will be chastised, the government will be at fault, the expenses will be scrutinized. But for now, this one moment in time has humanity watching and praying that 12 boys who did nothing wrong will be saved from immediate forces far more powerful than we are.

In short, it gives us something to hope for.

From the Guardian:

What we know so far:

• Four of the boys have been rescued from the Tham Luang caves in Chiang Rai province, with nine people still trapped underground
    • All four boys safely reached a hospital in Chiang Rai, the nearest major city
    • The operation is scheduled to resume at around 8am local time (0200 BST) with officials and volunteers buoyed by the success of their chosen method insofar
    • The remaining eight boys and their coach remain underground at the original location near to Pattaya beach
    • When they reached the surface, the divers turned and hugged the boys, who wore full-face scuba masks, after completing the 3.2km journey through the muddy, jagged cave
    • Rain on Saturday evening and throughout Sunday was thought to be the catalyst for the rescue operation but appears not to have significantly slowed its progress
    • The operation proceeded much faster than expected due to the walkable water level in the cave after it was launched at 10am local time on Sunday
    • 13 foreign divers and five Thai navy Seals made up the rescue team and were among a team of 90 divers involved in the rescue effort overall

This is just so incredible. These boys are kids of good character to be able to stay together and keep each other encouraged.
    #NashvilleStrong

Four boys have been brought above ground so far in good health, rescuers say.

The mission has now been paused for at least 10 hours as air tanks need to be replaced.

Rescuers decided to go ahead with the hazardous operation on Sunday because of fears of rising waters.

The next phase would begin on Monday morning, after relaying "all of the air tanks and all systems along the way", Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn said.

He corrected earlier reports that said six boys had been freed.
    Getting to and from where the boys are has been an exhausting round trip, even for the experienced divers.

The process includes a mixture of walking, wading, climbing and diving along guide ropes already in place.

Wearing full-face masks, which are easier for novice divers than traditional respirators, each boy is being accompanied by two divers, who also carry his air supply.

The toughest section is about halfway out at a section named "T-Junction", which is so tight the divers have to take off their air tanks to get through.

Beyond that a cavern - called Chamber 3 - has been turned into a forward base for the divers.

There the boys can rest before making the last, easier walk out to the entrance. They are then taken to hospital in Chiang Rai.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44757804

Thank you, Zippy, for finding this article and diagram. The boys they took out were the weakest. I can’t imagine an 11 yo surviving for so long without food. These kids are athletes and would be used to taking in a lot of calories. This rescue is just incredible. It’s not over, yet.
    #NashvilleStrong

Some of you may not remember the “Baby Jessica” story in 1987. The little girl was but 18 months old when she fell down an 8” well shaft. It took 5 days to get her out. It was all over the news.
    #NashvilleStrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast