Thread: Man killed by Portland State police was Navy vet trying to break up fight

Man killed by Portland State police was Navy vet trying to break up fight

Man killed by Portland State police was Navy vet trying to break up fight, friends say

A Portland man fatally shot early Friday outside a sports bar near Portland State University by campus police officers was a U.S. postal worker and father of three daughters who served in the Navy and married his high school sweetheart, friends say.

They identified the man as Jason E. Washington, 45. Friend Alyssa LeCesne said Washington was also a grandfather to a 5-year-old girl who "hero worshipped the ground he walked on." She described him as a Franklin High School graduate and an upstanding man who was proud to have helped raise a household full of women.
    The officers have been identified as Officer Shawn McKenzie, who has been with the campus public safety office since 2002, and Officer James Dewey, who's been there since 2014. Both became armed sworn officers in 2016. The school's board of trustees voted to allow their campus officers to carry firearms two years earlier.

McKenzie and Dewey were near the bar at 1939 S.W. Sixth Avenue around 1:30 a.m. when they noticed a fight, Portland police said. At some point, at least one of the officers shot a man who was at the scene.

LeCesne and Mike Joseph, another friend and former co-worker of Washington's, said Washington wasn't involved in the fight and was trying to break it up.

A witness also told Oregon Public Broadcasting that the man wasn't fighting and was shot after a holstered handgun he was carrying fell onto the ground and he appeared to be trying to pick it up.

After the officers yelled that there was a gun, there was no apparent hesitation before the gunfire, the witness said.
    Mike Joseph, another friend and former co-worker of Washington's, said Washington was at the bar with friends, celebrating the Oregon State University baseball team winning the College World Series. He had a concealed carry permit for his handgun, Joseph said.

"I saw the video, and there is no way he should have been shot," Joseph said. "I wish he didn't have a gun on him, because this probably wouldn't have happened if he didn't."
    "It's just a really unfortunate situation," said Donald Dietz, 25, an employee at the Cheerful Tortoise who witnessed the shooting. He had asked a co-worker to call the police when he saw a conflict inside the bar escalate and move outside. He was only a few feet away when the man was shot.

"The unfortunate situation is he was trying to help and break things up," Dietz said of the man who was shot.

Dietz recalled the man reaching for his gun after police told him three or four times not to.

"They warned him multiple times not to reach for it, but he did," Dietz said. "I don't want the message out there that the cops were trigger-happy." Dietz said employees at the Cheerful Tortoise did everything they could to stop the situation from escalating like it did. "It's just that people got drunk and stubborn," he added. "They had to do it," he said of the officers involved. "People think they were overzealous, but they had to do it."
    More: https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...d_state_p.html
    We have somewhat contradictory spin on how it went down, but we also have video:

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Man killed by Portland State police was Navy vet trying to break up fight, friends say

We have somewhat contradictory spin on how it went down, but we also have video:

The spin comes from a cop sucker, who, if he hadn't called the cops, would have witnessed nothing more than a street fight.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The spin comes from a cop sucker, who, if he hadn't called the cops, would have witnessed nothing more than a street fight.
    I suspect that the narrative about the gun coming out is a lie. Quite unfortunately, the camera pans away at the critical moment. But before that, it looks like one officer sees the obvious gun in the pocket holster. It's very likely that the guy never dropped the gun at all, but they shot him because they knew he had it, and would not "drop it".

From the perspective of the licensed carrier, he might not have know who they were talking to when they yelled "drop the gun". He probably thought that his gun was hidden, and someone else had a gun out.

Just speculation, based on the fact that the guy was up and running away pretty fast, and there is no evidence of the gun ever being on the ground.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 07-01-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

After the officers yelled that there was a gun, there was no apparent hesitation before the gunfire, the witness said.
    Heroes don't hesitate. It's what makes them heroes.

I'm glad they're OK
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

End Prediction: "We investigated the incident, and found that policies and training were followed."

So if we look at this to see which actions could have been taken by the guy to not be shot, there was no option. From the moment that the cop saw the gun on his hip, he was a dead man. The guy could not have "dropped the gun", because any motion to reach for the gun to drop it would have resulted in them shooting him. Many times this is the inevitable catch-22 that "policy" dictates.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I suspect that the narritive about the gun coming out is a lie.

Just speculation, based on the fact that the guy was up and running away pretty fast, and
    there is no evidence of the gun ever being on the ground.
    At least a couple officers had to notice his holster at about 1:02 in the video . . .
    at 1:13 he is falling down . . .

[EDIT IN : slightly clearer frame at 1:13 - best way to carry - esp. while in a fight wearing shorts is (?)]
    (computer cursor caught in screenshot, btw)

He is getting up in the last frames when the shouting of "He has a gun" and shots ring out . . .
    although the video clip cuts, I'll take a guess he was shot in the back but an honest coroner would be needed to confirm that guess.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 07-02-2018 at 07:34 PM.

campus public safety office
    no
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    At least a couple officers had to notice his holster at about 1:02 in the video . . .
    at 1:13 he is falling down . . .

He is getting up in the last frames when the shouting of "He has a gun" and shots ring out . . .
    although the video clip cuts, I'll take a guess he was shot in the back but an honest coroner would be needed to confirm that guess.
    At 1:11, the cop that is involved with the scuffle yanks his head back to look towards the other cop. Very possible that was the point where the other cop had spotted the gun and shouted to his partner, who then backed away.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The official narrative will be, do not take the law into your own hands. Too many people are getting involved in instances that cause injury and even death. Do not participate in rallies that are likely to have counter protestors. Do not try to intervene in public where you think a person could benefit from your intervention. Call the Police! That is what they are hired and trained to do. Just remember this. If you shoot any person you are likely to have to defend yourself in court and that will cost you everything you have worked so hard to acquire. Our police on the other hand have unions and paid attorney's and the district attorneys are on their side. Police officers are paid to serve, protect, and kill, when it suits them so long as the situation is not too scary that they need to hide and wait for backup.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    The official narrative will be, do not take the law into your own hands. Too many people are getting involved in instances that cause injury and even death. Do not participate in rallies that are likely to have counter protestors. Do not try to intervene in public where you think a person could benefit from your intervention. Call the Police! That is what they are hired and trained to do. Just remember this. If you shoot any person you are likely to have to defend yourself in court and that will cost you everything you have worked so hard to acquire. Our police on the other hand have unions and paid attorney's and the district attorneys are on their side. Police officers are paid to serve, protect, and kill, when it suits them so long as the situation is not too scary that they need to hide and wait for backup.
    Founders recognized the powers of the police state . . . and all the while these . . . these . . . these 'policia'
    come away with no real constitutional duty to protect citizens.
    [edit in a disturbing supreme court case . . . scalia wrote majority 5-4 opinion]

__________________________________________________ ________________

Castle Rock v. Gonzales 545 U.S. 748 (2005)
    Scalia wrote the opinion of the Court and Souter wrote a concurring opinion, with Justice Stevens adding an extensive dissenting opinion.

The horrible facts of this case are that Jessica Gonzales had a restraining order v. her estranged husband -
    and on June 22, 1999 he took the three children while they were playing outside Mrs. Gonzales home.
    The husband later called her at about 8:30pm to tell her he had the children at a Denver amusement park.
    She called police then and throughout the night - also Mrs. Gonzales went to the estranged husband's apartment
    sometime after midnight, while the police still "made no reasonable effort to enforce the restraining order (TRO)"
    "The police never seriously entertained her request to enforce and protect her interests in the restraining order."

The three daughters were found murdered in the back of the pickup at 3:20 am when the husband drove the pickup to the police station.

Scalia wrote utilizing a 1989 Supreme Court case where local officials chose NOT to protect a young boy from beatings
    by his father that left him severely brain-damaged, that "the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment does not
    require the State to protect the life, liberty, and property of its citizens against private actors
    ."
    Last edited by Jan2017; 07-02-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Founders recognized the powers of the police state . . . and all the while these . . . these . . . these 'policia'
    [edit in a disturbing supreme court case . . . scalia wrote majority 5-4 opinion]
    Yes I definitely understand and agree. This is why they can hide if they perceive danger. However, the narrative is always these brave men and women that have chosen to serve and protect. The ones that put their lives on the line every day for you.

Jan2017

Scalia wrote - utilizing a 1989 Supreme Court case where local officials chose NOT to protect a young boy from beatings
    by his father that left him severely brain-damaged, that "the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment does not
    require the State to protect the life, liberty, and property of its citizens against private actors
    ."
    In Castle Rock v. Gonzales, Justice Stevens would write the last words as . . .
    "the process she was afforded by the police constituted nothing more than a "sham or a pretense"
    citing Joint AntiFascist Refuge Comm. v. McGrath 341 U.S. 123, at 164 (1951). Accordingly, I respectfully dissent."