Thread: 'Boys will be boys' sweatshirt pulled from stores after being accused of being sexist

'Boys will be boys' sweatshirt pulled from stores after being accused of being sexist

Australian sleepwear brand Peter Alexander has pulled a “boys will be boys” children’s sweatshirt from its stores following backlash from parents saying the slogan had sexist connotations.
    Melbourne mother Bridie Harris noticed the boys’ gray pajama top while out shopping last week and took to social media to complain.
    “Boy won’t be boys,” she wrote on the Peter Alexander Sleepwear Facebook page. “Boys will be held accountable for their actions.
    “I hate to see an Australian store, who makes such great PJs, put such a sexist statement on a T-shirt intended for young boys. Excusing boys of their behavior is not a step in the right direction. It’s 2018.”

She said the slogan promoted a culture that allows men “to get away with stuff” because of their gender.
    “It gives them an excuse for inappropriate behavior,” Harris said in an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper. “If a girl hurts someone or does something, you never hear someone that says girls will be girls.
    “As kids, I get it’s little tiny things, like rough play, but it sets [them] up for a culture where they can get way with anything. I thought it was a long-resolved discussion.”
    Harris’s views were echoed by many other people on social media who agreed the children’s sweatshirt also struck them as offensive.
    One woman called the top “cringe worthy,” while another said she was “so disappointed that this is something that [the brand] would promote for children.”

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/boys...114039559.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They would be OK if it said boys will be girls .
    Do something Danke

Snowflakes will be snowflakes.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

“As kids, I get it’s little tiny things, like rough play, but it sets [them] up for a culture where they can get way with anything. I thought it was a long-resolved discussion.”
    Being told I was made of sugar and spice and everything nice didn't set me up for a culture where I felt like I had to be sweet to everyone. I guess I just wasn't a deep thinker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Being told I was made of sugar and spice and everything nice didn't set me up for a culture where I felt like I had to be sweet to everyone. I guess I just wasn't a deep thinker.
    I think the real problem here is the person reading that line "boys will be boys" and automatically assigning it to negative behavior, rather than just active learning behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    She said the slogan promoted a culture that allows men “to get away with stuff” because of their gender.
    Most other genders do not "get away with stuff" at all. Only Rosie O'Donnell.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I think the real problem here is the person reading that line "boys will be boys" and automatically assigning it to negative behavior, rather than just active learning behavior.
    You are thinking too much. This amount of brain effort can not be generated by the less intelligent and that's why you are going to be considered a misogynist. Just shut up and listen, mister! M'kay?

Girls who are boys, who like boys to be girls...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They have obviously never seen the Inbetweeners 2 film down under
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst