Thread: Trump-Putin Summit To Take Place On July 16 In Helsinki

Trump-Putin Summit To Take Place On July 16 In Helsinki

Update: And now we know the date:

• TRUMP-PUTIN SUMMIT TO BE ON JULY 16 IN HELSINKI, U.S. SAYS

Here is the official statement:

Fox News Chief White House Correspondent John Roberts reported early Thursday morning that the White House and the Kremlin have decided on Helsinki as the location for the Trump-Putin summit, just as President Trump had suggested yesterday.
    White House and Kremlin have settled on Helsinki, Finland as the location for the @realDonaldTrump - Putin summit. Date to be announced today.
    — John Roberts (@johnrobertsFox) June 28, 2018
    The capital of Finland was first reported as the most likely site for the summit last week, and Finnish President Sauli Niinisto has already confirmed that Finland is prepared to host the summit. Yesterday, National Security Advisor John Bolton hammered out details during a working lunch with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov before meeting President Putin. During their pre-summit meeting yesterday, Bolton and Putin reportedly discussed nuclear arms control, conflicts in Syria and Ukraine, the situation in North Korea and the Iran nuclear deal.
    "Despite the political noise in the US," direct communications between Trump and Putin are in the "best interest of our country," Bolton said yesterday during a press conference in Moscow.
    President Trump has pushed for improved relations with the Kremlin, even inviting Putin to the White House during a March phone call.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...place-helsinki
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    President Trump is planning on meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin alone later this month, a source told CNN.

More aides are expected to join the two world leaders later in the meeting, which is expected to cover election interference, Syria and nuclear weapons.

CNN noted that without other aides present, that part of the meeting will be without an official record — making it difficult to conclude whether they reached any agreements.

More at: http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-aides-present

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Are private, 1 on 1 meetings with world leaders the norm?
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Are private, 1 on 1 meetings with world leaders the norm?
    Rare. I can think of a few cases. Before the US entered WW2, FDR met Churchill on a ship out at sea. Then there was the Yalta Conference, which was 3 leaders.

I wouldn't say it's normal. I wouldn't say it's necessarily bad, either.

I will say that it's extremely rare that 1 on 1 meetings happen with "enemies". That's probably never happened in US history until Trump, and it's damned ballsy. Especially since Trump knows what the media will say about him for doing this particular meeting.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 07-03-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin may discuss the state of the oil market at their summit on July 16, although there will be more important topics on the agenda, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Wednesday.
    “It can be said with confidence that this matter will hardly be the leading one in the agenda. Topics much more actual in terms of bilateral relations exist, which will be considered in the first instance,” Russia’s news agency TASS quoted Peskov as telling reporters on Wednesday, commenting on the Trump-Putin summit slated to be held on July 16 in Helsinki, Finland.
    Earlier this week, Peskov said on a conference call with reporters that Putin had said that he would be open to discuss everything except Crimea, which Moscow claims is an “integral part” of Russia.

More at: https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...16-Summit.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Rare. I can think of a few cases. Before the US entered WW2, FDR met Churchill on a ship out at sea. Then there was the Yalta Conference, which was 3 leaders.

I wouldn't say it's normal. I wouldn't say it's necessarily bad, either.

I will say that it's extremely rare that 1 on 1 meetings happen with "enemies". That's probably never happened in US history until Trump, and it's damned ballsy. Especially since Trump knows what the media will say about him for doing this particular meeting.
    He doesn't give a $#@! at this point.

The MAGA takes another step towards universal peace and enlightenment for all mankind.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

A senior Kremlin official tells Bloomberg that Vladimir Putin is preparing to offer significant concessions to President Trump at their July 16 summit in Helsinki, Finland in the hopes of beginning to repair strained relations between Russia and the United States. Chief among them, according to the official, is a discussion on Iran's role in Syria - an issue that Moscow is simultaneously coordinating with Tehran.
    Putin has agreed in principle to U.S. and Israeli demands that Iranian-backed forces in southern Syria be kept away from Israel’s border, replaced with troops loyal to the government in Damascus, two Kremlin advisers said.
    After studying Trump’s meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, during which he announced a surprise halt to U.S. military exercises with South Korea, Putin decided he needs to negotiate with the billionaire personally, the senior official said, without elaborating. The two leaders may meet without aides, as Trump and Kim did in Singapore, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said. -Bloomberg
    In advance of the summit, U.S. ambassador to Russia, Jon Huntsman, briefed President Trump during a one-on-one conference call Thursday - saying that Trump will go into the meeting with "eyes wide open."

Russia views the upcoming Trump-Putin summit as an opportunity to mend fences with the United States. Relations have soured dramatically since the days Bill Clinton was hanging out at Putin's Moscow estate - within hours of collecting $500,000 for a speech to a Kremlin investment bank - in the same month Russia assumed control over 20% of U.S. uranium under Hillary Clinton's State Department. But that was 2010. Since then, Russia annexed Crimea in 2014 and allegedly hacked the 2016 U.S. election - which the Kremlin has been heavily sanctioned for.
    Still, major questions remain over Putin's ability to actually enforce any agreement governing Iran's actions in Syria, even if he offers to stabilize the border with Israel by sending troops into the area. This has in turn caused some in Washington and among Western allies in Europe that Trump may prematurely tout the Helsinki meeting without actually achieving real concessions.
    Russia may have supplanted America as the indispensable arbiter in various Mideast conflicts but there’s only so far Putin is willing to go to appease Trump when it comes to Iran, according to Andrei Kortunov, head of the Russian International Affairs Council, a research group set up by the Kremlin. -Bloomberg
    “Trump can’t force Putin to turn away from Iran,” Kortunov said. “Putin is not willing to push Iran too hard and he cannot rely on Trump.”

Iran has already soured to Russia after it agreed to to roll back cuts to oil producers intended to boost flagging petroleum prices. Russia is also trying to salvage the Iranian nuclear deal after Trump abandoned it, while mitigating sanctions the U.S. has imposed on Tehran. Foreign ministers from Russia, France, China, Germany and the UK will discuss the issue with Iranian officials in Vienna on Friday.
    Meanwhile, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Wednesday that he would speak with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo following the Helsinki summit in order to implement whatever agreements are reached. That said - he cautioned that "it's absolutely not realistic" to expect Iran to pull out of Syria alltogether.
    “As in any other part of the world, you have to start by sitting down at the negotiating table, lay out your concerns and talk about how to resolve them on a mutually acceptable basis,” Lavrov told reporters in Moscow.
    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will meet with Putin in Moscow next week before the summit with Trump - the second time in as many months. Tehran is undoubtedly unhappy with this development.
    “Russia has not only stabbed Iran in the back when it comes to Syria, but also voluntarily announced its readiness with Saudi Arabia to push Iran’s quota out of OPEC,” said Ali Khorram - a former Iranian ambassador to the UN, wrote in the Arman daily newspaper.
    Putin’s strategy is to try and find a middle ground between the conflicting interests of major players. In particular, he may give Israel a green light to bomb any Iranian convoy that tries to deliver advanced weaponry to Hezbollah while also allowing Iran to maintain shipments of conventional arms to its Lebanese proxy forces, according to Kortunov, the Kremlin adviser.
    For Iran, the overriding goal is to maintain its influence inside Syria and keep supply lines open, said Ehud Yaari, an Israel-based fellow at the Washington Institute. -Bloomberg
    “Russia has an interest to bleed Iran in Syria, to weaken Iran but not collapse Iran because it may lose the Assad regime, which is its major card,” said Sami Nader, head of the Levant Institute for Strategic Studies in Beirut. “They want Iran in check and under control.”

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ncession-trump

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Will they discuss Crimea?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4310718/w...n-trump-putin/

The White House on Tuesday reiterated its position that the United States does not recognize Russia‘s annexation of Crimea.

“We don’t recognize Russia’s attempts to annex Crimea at all,” White House spokesman Hogan Gidley told reporters as President Donald Trump flew to West Virginia. Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin plan to hold a summit on July 16 in Helsinki.

The Kremlin said on Monday the Crimean peninsula which it annexed from Ukraine in 2014 is an inseparable part of Russia and not a subject on the agenda at Putin’s meeting with Trump in Helsinki.

Putin is open to looking for compromises with Trump on all other issues, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on a conference call with reporters.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...returns-Crimea

Donald Trump declares sanctions will REMAIN on Russia until it 'RETURNS Crimea to Ukraine'

DONALD Trump said he will not lift Russian sanctions until Russian president Vladimir Putin “returns the Crimea to Ukraine” ahead of a crunch meeting between the pair on July 16.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders insisted Washington will “agree to disagree” on matters surrounding the Crimea with Moscow during a briefing on Monday.

She said: “We do not recognise Russia’s attempt to annex Crimea.

“We agree to disagree with Russia on that front.”

Mrs Sanders added American sanctions “will remain in place until Russia returns Crimea to the Ukraine”.

The message from the White House Press Secretary was echoed by National Security Advisor John Bolton who said it is “not the position of the United States”.

Although Mrs Sanders did not comment on whether issues surrounding the annexation would be brought to the table at the upcoming summit between the Trump and Putin, Russia appears to have already ruled out a discussion on the matter.

Dmitri Peskov, a spokesman for Vladimir Putin, said the status of the Crimea "cannot and will never be on the agenda because it is an inseparable part of Russia”.

But Mr Peskov added that apart from matters surrounding the 2014 annexation, "all other issues" could be discussed.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-09-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Me to Graham: You are not America's friend.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment