Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

I have a lot of handy man work around my home that I will pay well for, will you travel, what are your skills?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Great advice.

We pay $50 for someone to get grandma up, changed and fed in the morning. She has to drive here, but the food is from the microwave.
    For $50 an hour I'll come visit and we'll knock out all those handy man projects.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I don't know of any construction jobsite that won't hire an English speaking laborer immediately.

"The trades" are always looking too but I don't know of anyone who hires from paper or 'puter, show up and be persistent if you want to work...

To this day, even with close to 40 years in carpentry, I tell clients that if they're not happy at the end of the week then don't pay me. You'd be surprised at the doors that'll open.
    Nope. Absolutely never. People are frivolous. 99% of the customers love me to death. But, I'm not about to eat labor because someone is an 1% $#@!.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Best tip for online applications:

Every single time, tailor your resume using the same words and phrases they do in the job description and requirements. Use the exact same words.

The first pass through a pile of 300-500 online applications is automated... The software searches for keywords that match what they are looking for. If your resume/application does not contain them, you don't make the first cut.

They pare it down to 20-30 and then a human looks them over.

If you have submitted 100 online applications already, go back and resubmit the best ones using a different email address (create a gmail account) and tailor your resume as mentioned above.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Tough times calls for tough measures. Have you tried a temp agency?
    Good advise. Hit up Manpower and Kelly for starters. That's a great way to get a foot in the door at a good company, if you take the right job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    Best tip for online applications:

Every single time, tailor your resume using the same words and phrases they do in the job description and requirements. Use the exact same words.

The first pass through a pile of 300-500 online applications is automated... The software searches for keywords that match what they are looking for. If your resume/application does not contain them, you don't make the first cut.

They pare it down to 20-30 and then a human looks them over.

If you have submitted 100 online applications already, go back and resubmit the best ones using a different email address (create a gmail account) and tailor your resume as mentioned above.
    More good advise.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Use connections. Put out the word to everyone you know that you are looking, especially locally.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

You got a car and clean DL?

Deliver pizzas, for one of the big chains, preferably.

I've done it before, made $100-200 every night just in tips.

And that was twenty years ago.

Plasma pays for first time donors as well (I've seen $250-400 for first five donations---2.5 weeks). Might make you a little weak for other endeavors but it isn't too bad if you are healthy.

If you have a car and show up to temp agencies an hour before they open, you get picked first and they pay you gas for the people you take with you (probably your best chance for a quick thousand if you can get paid daily or weekly).

Scrapping used to pay and is probably paying now again... though I haven't kept up with prices. If you have a car, or preferably a truck, checking open top dumpsters and driving neighborhoods (especially on large item pickup day) is a good way to get extra money. Construction sites often throw away a bit of wiring that when skinned can make a little bit, or old material, or who knows (check one, nothing, check the next one and a good day). There is a bit of money to be made if you know metals (simply non-magnetic metals have higher desirability) and what you are looking for/how it has to be prepped. Obviously don't steal people's $#@! and understand the difference between taking something from a general refuse open top (which is going to the dump) and a metal open top (which is going to the scrapyard) as well as 'No Trespassing' signage and local stipulations.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You got a car and clean DL?

Deliver pizzas, for one of the big chains, preferably.

I've done it before, made $100-200 every night just in tips.

And that was twenty years ago.
    No vehicle any more, and a technicality on my DL history (record pulls up "suspension" and no one cares why).
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel Poet View Post
    No vehicle any more, and a technicality on my DL history (record pulls up "suspension" and no one cares why).
    Tyrrany Buzzard says having a drivers license suspension makes one a communist. How is that?
    Amash>Trump

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

Tyrrany Buzzard says having a drivers license suspension makes one a communist. How is that?
    Shouldn't you be looking for a job? It's Wed. Manpower and other temp services are open.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Shouldn't you be looking for a job? It's Wed. Manpower and other temp services are open.
    Yes, I have been working, and going to interviews. I also check my phone.
    Amash>Trump

Yes, I have been working, and going to interviews. I also check my phone.
    Glad to hear it. Keep pushing.

In the short run, I just need enough to pay rent next month. I've got something like 100 applications out, and that should hopefully pan out by next month, but I need to earn a grand by the middle of the month or so to avoid eviction. I am willing to do about anything but my skills are mostly useless like English grammar and Excel.
    If you know Excel sign up on Upwork.

What part of Florida are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    What part of Florida are you in?
    Orlando.
    Amash>Trump

If you have any handyman skills theres an app called Handy you can sign up on. People pay to have Ikea stuff assembled etc.

I would suggest working cold storage. Where I work they will hire anyone (I work there). The hourly rate isn't that high, but during the busy season which is most of the year we make a lot of money because of overtime.

Orlando.
    I generally don't give advice on money,, especially "fast money".

The only one I know in Florida is Historic Tours of America,, and you would need to move to St. Augustine or Key West.

https://www.historictours.com/about-careers.php

I have done Key West in the past.. Twice.. Went with nothing and sold a $Half million house when I left.

ymmv
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Orlando.
    My niece worked at the Hard Rock at Disney and made great money waiting tables.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    If you have any handyman skills theres an app called Handy you can sign up on. People pay to have Ikea stuff assembled etc.
    Thumbtack is another one.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Apply online for jobs in hospitality and tourism. They hire lots of seasonal people that can turn into full time work. If you can pass a background check and drug test, you’re golden.
    #NashvilleStrong

Is there an Amazon warehouse nearby? Husband of a friend does pretty well with that.
    #NashvilleStrong

With no disrespect intended, the go fund me is going no where. People stand on street corners with signs and collect money with every red light. Other people pick up cans. I suspect you are above that. I see people doing caricatures for a fee. I see people strumming a guitar with an open case for donations. Maybe Danke had a good point. Why not get yourself a very nice scratch pad and a stool and write poetry for sweethearts for donations? I would bet that if you were in the correct location, people would pay for your poems and even seek you out!

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    With no disrespect intended, the go fund me is going no where. People stand on street corners with signs and collect money with every red light. Other people pick up cans. I suspect you are above that. I see people doing caricatures for a fee. I see people strumming a guitar with an open case for donations. Maybe Danke had a good point. Why not get yourself a very nice scratch pad and a stool and write poetry for sweethearts for donations? I would bet that if you were in the correct location, people would pay for your poems and even seek you out!
    As someone with 2 published books of poetry....you cant make any money on poetry, lol. Btw..thats called busking..might be able to do it at a festival or something. I’ll see if
    i can pitch in after bills. I had to do a fundraiser last year....its a horrible feeling to get to that point.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 07-02-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    As someone with 2 published books of poetry....you cant make any money on poetry, lol. Btw..thats called busking..might be able to do it at a festival or something.
    Well if an honest hard work doesn't work, I would find a good street corner and go the sign route. I see people making several dollars every light change.

I always thought it could be possible to find a busy self serve gas station and get permission from owner to offer to pump gas for tips.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mrs. Reb got a transcriptionist job. No guarantee of hours, but it will help.
    Amash>Trump

Mrs. Reb got a transcriptionist job. No guarantee of hours, but it will help.
    Great news!

RPF member @specsaregood is always reaching out for knowledgeable computer help.

Don't know what your skills might be...

https://orlando.craigslist.org/d/jobs/search/jjj

There looks to be a lot of low-skill jobs available. I would go in person after filing out any online app and just be persistent.

Do you have an inability to get to a job? Is transportation and/or lack of DL limiting it? I would say that after getting through this rough patch, resolving the technicality of “suspension” on your license would be a next step. I have an employee that had a suspended license for two years bc he didn’t pay off tickets/fines/etc. he finally got around to it and now he’s saving money from having his wife take him to work and back each day.

You’ll get through this, just be persistent, sincere and don’t take no for an answer!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast