Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: “Plus-Size” Culture Normalizes Obesity – Study

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I am defending the ideal against those who seek to make themselves or others feel good by denying reality.
    You can spin this any way you like. Nobody wants to wear ugly clothes. If you are libertarian, then you should be advocating for free choice in clothing, and a free market that sells what people want.

If you don't believe that, then your are taking a page out of Bernie Sanders' book. He didn't believe we should have free choice in deodorants or antiperspirants. Link. I guess he was trying to normalize bad body odor.
    Last edited by euphemia; 06-23-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    You can spin this any way you like. Nobody wants to wear ugly clothes. If you are libertarian, then you should be advocating for free choice in clothing, and a free market that sells what people want.

If you don't believe that, then your are taking a page out of Bernie Sanders' book. He didn't believe we should have free choice in deodorants or antiperspirants.
    People can make, sell and wear whatever they want, I already said that.
    It is the campaign to pretend fat is beautiful that is the problem.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You are one person with one opinion. Some people like meat on the bones, and they have a right to their opinions, too. Nobody would consider your attitude a thing of beauty, and you do not get to define what other people like.

I have never known you to be so uncharitable toward people that you blindly follow what one article says and totally ignore what the Bible says. You do not know what causes people to gain weight. You might want to do a little bit of homework on that, too. Have you ever noticed how bloated people are when they have liver and kidney problems? Have you ever known what it is to have rheumatoid arthritis? Not so many years ago one of the only treatments was steroids.

You might want to think about that before you start judging people for not living up to your small-minded standard.
    Last edited by euphemia; 06-23-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

You are one person with one opinion. Some people like meat on the bones, and they have a right to their opinions, too. Nobody would consider your attitude a thing of beauty, and you do not get to define what other people like.

I have never known you to be so uncharitable toward people that you blindly follow what one article says and totally ignore what the Bible says. You do not know what causes people to gain weight. You might want to do a little bit of homework on that, too. Have you ever noticed how bloated people are when they have liver and kidney problems? Have you ever known what it is to have rheumatoid arthritis? Not so many years ago one of the only treatments was steroids.

You might want to think about that before you start judging people for not living up to your small-minded standard.
    I am not uncharitable, I didn't say fat people had no value or were prima facie bad or anything.
    How people gain weight is not my business and I am not condemning all fat people.
    There are many fat people who are far better human beings than many skinny or middle weight people.
    I didn't even say fat people are all ugly.

I do not get to pretend I am as strong as Olympic weight lifters but that doesn't mean I am bad or worthless.

Beauty is what it is and it isn't fat.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I have a Boxer he is 8. When he was 3 he acted like he was old. He was fat and liked to lay around and could barely navigate stairs. This spring I took him with me and he lived outside in SC for 3 months. I fed him the amount of food he was always supposed to get with hardly ever any treats. He has always been an inside dog. In SC I live in a 27 foot camper and there is no room in there for an incontinent dog and I didn't want to deal with those issues so he slept outside. First 2 weeks he scratched relentlessly at the door. Then he stopped. I only tied him up if I left the property to go somewhere. Otherwise he was free to go wherever he pleased. The dog became thin. He now runs around with puppy enthusiasm. He is still incontinent but he cannot control that. The dog has a great profile and attitude. Before he looked like a pig and was very lazy. Now he is handsome.

Obesity is a moral right to suicide. Certainly, people control the main aspects of their life including if they are suicidal their weight. While I don't support or encourage, or even respect the promotion of suicide via obesity, I understand and support the right to be obese, cutting 10 to 20 years off of a typical lifespan. Liberals are most universally support the right-to-die very early. I can't say they are completely wrong and encouraging people to die, but I certainly don't support it, and I will not do it myself.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Obesity is a moral right to suicide. Certainly, people control the main aspects of their life including if they are suicidal their weight. While I don't support or encourage, or even respect the promotion of suicide via obesity, I understand and support the right to be obese, cutting 10 to 20 years off of a typical lifespan. Liberals are most universally support the right-to-die very early. I can't say they are completely wrong and encouraging people to die, but I certainly don't support it, and I will not do it myself.
    I am sure some might argue this is an example of hate speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    The skinny-minny look started in the 60s with Twiggy. Before the 20th Century, it was considered pleasing to be plump and a sign of wealth. Most of today's "fatness" comes from the great American diet, which is bunk and not at all healthy.

And Marilyn Monroe would be considered "fat" today.
    I think that everything you just said is a huge myth promoted by third wave feminists.

Marilyn Monroe would be considered fat by today's anorexic model standards, but those women's pictures are mostly featured in magazines that are sold to women.

Most men don't care if a woman gains 2 or 5 lbs, some women completely freak out when they do. Most men like women who are relatively fit or thin, or slightly over that, and AF is an outlier.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Obesity is no small problem.

Most fat people don't accept that they are addicts just like junkies or alcoholics.

Bad lifestyle choices lead to terrible consequences and then the response is I am normal. Stop the hate speech. Don't be so mean. Beauty is on the inside. People make choices to eat junk processed food and then want society to pay the price. This is not about a libertarian that chooses to overeat. Obesity is probably the number one reason healthcare costs so much money. Obese people have more health problems.

Airlines charge more for people that are obese. They must purchase 2 seats. Some argue the airlines are at fault for making the seating area too small. Why should a normal size person that wants to fly economy be up-charged for another passengers hip baggage? https://www.smartertravel.com/2017/0...sity-policies/

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Something about that makes me want some chicken wings .
    Do something Danke

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I think that everything you just said is a huge myth promoted by third wave feminists.

Marilyn Monroe would be considered fat by today's anorexic model standards, but those women's pictures are mostly featured in magazines that are sold to women.

Most men don't care if a woman gains 2 or 5 lbs, some women completely freak out when they do. Most men like women who are relatively fit or thin, or slightly over that, and AF is an outlier.
    Most guys don’t like those super skinny models. I know I don’t. Fit with curves is the ideal body type. Some like thicker...some are downright deranged and like the land whales.

Fat, like that SI swimsuit behemoth, is not beautiful. And just as young women shouldn’t be bombarded with images of super thin, anorexic models and told that’s the standard for beauty, they shouldn’t be told that weighing a metric ton is OK either.

Being fat is a symptom of some other problem, usually emotional or past trauma. I haven’t hired a fat person yet. Not that I wouldn’t if there were one who excelled at their trade, I just haven’t run across that yet. The amount that fat people $#@! up your insurance pool is unreal. A couple fatties with diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, hip/knee problems, etc can drive up insurance for everyone, even with 100+ employees in the group. And, if you don’t have the self control to limit what you put in your mouth or the discipline to maintain a healthy life - your one life, this gift we are given - how can I trust you with something infinitely less important, like making sure customers are invoiced properly?

Fat is not only not beautiful, but it is unhealthy and something that should not be normalized.
    Last edited by ghengis86; 06-24-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    Most guys don’t like those super skinny models. I know I don’t. Fit with curves is the ideal body type.
    Unsurprising since the fashion industry is filled with hom osexuals. They like their female models to look like young boys.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we all have free will to live our lives the way we want. However, I have to say, it makes me sad to see so many obese people in the US, who have all sorts of health problems and are taking tons of medication, which profits certain industries who don't care about getting to the root of the problem but only treating the symptoms. Also, if it's true that the epidemic of obesity affects everyone's healthcare costs, then I don't think it's something that should be promoted. I'm not sure why anyone would argue with that. I believe that all people are equally valuable. But obesity is a big problem and since it can lead to many health problems, it's not something that society should treat as normal / healthy, imo.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    The skinny-minny look started in the 60s with Twiggy. Before the 20th Century, it was considered pleasing to be plump and a sign of wealth. Most of today's "fatness" comes from the great American diet, which is bunk and not at all healthy.

And Marilyn Monroe would be considered "fat" today.
    No she wouldn't. That's a myth based on ignorance of clothing sizes. Technically, Monroe was a size 12/14 but a vintage size 12/14 is much smaller than a modern size 14. BTW, Marilyn Monroe was 5'5" tall and weighted 117 lbs at her death.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Thin isn’t everything. Monroe was hopelessly addicted to drugs.
    #NashvilleStrong

IMO, beauty does come in all sizes. Some people are just built to carry more weight than others and actually look better with a few extra pounds on them.

As far as health is concerned, if I'm not $#@!ing you or financing you, it's none of my business.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Thin isn’t everything. Monroe was hopelessly addicted to drugs.
    Absolutely, I was just pointing out that she wasn't fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    No she wouldn't. That's a myth based on ignorance of clothing sizes. Technically, Monroe was a size 12/14 but a vintage size 12/14 is much smaller than a modern size 14. BTW, Marilyn Monroe was 5'5" tall and weighted 117 lbs at her death.

I think Marilyn was beautiful- I'm speaking of today's stupid standards & how the whole "fat" thing has been pushed for Big Corps.

And that picture is a very thin Marilyn- she did vary a bit in weight- but her hour glass figure kept her stunning.

And as anyone who's seen her films knows, her weight shifted a lot, so any "Marilyn Monroe was X size" statement is, stopped clock-style, probably going to be accurate at some point.

But if people demand numbers? They're certainly out there. According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5˝ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D
    https://jezebel.com/5299793/for-the-...marilyn-monroe
    There is no spoon.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Another fat lie.

You do not know what causes people to gain weight.
    Eating
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I have a thyroid disorder that makes me eat at mcdonalds almost every day
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I have a thyroid disorder that makes me eat at mcdonalds almost every day
    Maybe you are simply cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Eating
    Not necessarily true. Those of us who are active or genetically gifted have to work harder and plan our meals to gain weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Another fat lie.
    Yes.

The weight gain she experienced in the late 1950's (when she weighed 140lbs -which isn't even very heavy) was likely due to her pregnancy. She miscarried, btw.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fat asses legislating normal out of existence.

https://www.ocregister.com/2016/03/0...rts-are-split/

Yeah, I guess Santa Claus is probably too skinny for some of these slobs.

[Article title]:
    Should we regulate too-skinny models? Fashion industry, medical experts are split

Excerpts:

A California lawmaker wants his state to be the first in the U.S. to require fashion models to obtain a doctor’s note to prove they are healthy enough to work.

He also wants to require modeling agencies to classify their models – both men and women – as full-time employees rather than contractors, a switch that would trigger benefits including health insurance, overtime and paid vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Unsurprising since the fashion industry is filled with hom osexuals. They like their female models to look like young boys.
    I think so .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    If you don't like it you can disagree with me
    I disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    and AF is an outlier.
    I disagree with you, as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast