Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: “Plus-Size” Culture Normalizes Obesity – Study

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I disagree with you.

You are entitled to your wrong opinion.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You are entitled to your wrong opinion.
    As are you.

And yer a damn dirty double dog liar if you're trying to tell me you wouldn't #poundhertoo until your dick fell off.

It appears that the topic has been misunderstood by a few here. The question isn't what we personally think about obesity, but whether society normalizing and even promoting it is a good idea.

Also, I didn't think we were talking about someone with a few extra pounds. As others have said, most people like that, most men like women with meat on their bones. But I thought the topic was about obesity, which is not the same as just being a little overweight. (Or am I wrong about that?)
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    It appears that the topic has been misunderstood by a few here. The question isn't what we personally think about obesity, but whether society normalizing and even promoting it is a good idea.

Also, I didn't think we were talking about someone with a few extra pounds. As others have said, most people like that, most men like women with meat on their bones. But I thought the topic was about obesity, which is not the same as just being a little overweight. (Or am I wrong about that?)
    Meh, not really concerned.

I have seen too much liberty lost in my lifetime, every time the social engineers get riled up about something "plaguing our society".

Guns, fat people, smokers, drinkers, drug users, risk takers, motorcyclists...just to name few, all have been on the receiving end of this nonsense.

Count your blessings...us fat meat eating people die younger.

You won't be saddled with looking after us into our nineties like you health nuts...ending up sitting around forgotten in some government nursing home, at ten grand a month, trying to remember who the hell you are and $#@!ting yourself on a daily basis.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post

You are absolutely right.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Meh, not really concerned.

I have seen too much liberty lost in my lifetime, every time the social engineers get riled up about something "plaguing our society".

Guns, fat people, smokers, drinkers, drug users, risk takers, motorcyclists...just to name few, all have been on the receiving end of this nonsense.

Count your blessings...us fat meat eating people die younger.

You won't be saddled with looking after us into our nineties like you health nuts...ending up sitting around forgotten in some government nursing home, at ten grand a month, trying to remember who the hell you are and $#@!ting yourself on a daily basis.
    No one even remotely said anything about government, at least as far as I've seen. It's about social stigma. For example, transgenderism used to be viewed as a mental disorder, and now since it is being intentionally normalized, we are seeing more and more transgenders, and it is not only becoming something people view as normal, but something to be celebrated and proud of.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

BTW, I'm not a health nut. I just don't want to die of a heart attack like my cousin did (at age 46), or die of cancer in my 70's like my dad did. I used to not care about my health much, because I always had a high metabolism so I could eat as much as I want and never gain weight. But as I got older, I realized that my poor choices were affecting my health. I also realized that God cares not only about our mental/emotional/spiritual health, but our physical health too. I knew I had to make a change, because I was eating wrong, not exercising, and sitting a lot, and that began to affect my health and energy level. I still have a long way to go, but now I am trying.

But enough about that, sorry for the little side story there.

― Henry David Thoreau

As are you.

And yer a damn dirty double dog liar if you're trying to tell me you wouldn't #poundhertoo until your dick fell off.
    Just make sure she's eaten beforehand.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

She's right. Her health is none of my business but I think it's stupid to put her on the cover of a health an fitness magazine. Self must be hurting for subscribers.

The health and wellness magazine posted the cover to its Instagram account and included a portion of Editor-in-Chief Carolyn Kylstra’s editor’s letter, which explains why the publication decided to give Holliday “a platform.”

“Holliday identifies as a fat woman; we chose to give her a platform because she has insightful things to say about thriving in a world that devalues bodies of size,” the letter said. “We also chose to feature her because size representation is necessary, especially for a national health media brand that can help guide the conversation about what it means to be healthy and how to make health accessible.”

It went on to add that a person’s level of health can’t be determined "just by looking at them."

“And moreover, you should know that concern trolling — using a person’s perceived health to justify making them feel bad about themselves — isn’t just counterproductive, it’s abusive,” it said.

Some commenters on the post applauded the magazine’s decision, with one user writing, “Thanks for showing ALL kinds of beautiful women!” and another saying they “adore this!”

Another commenter wrote, “Thank you @selfmagazine for showing the world a range of health bodies – and encouraging people to look at the many important factors that make up a well human.”

Others had a different reaction, however, with one user writing that “this is terribly unhealthy.”

Another commenter said: “She’s so not healthy! I think horrible to promote it. She maybe smart, and an activist but for fat and overweight shouldn’t be glorified ! Bad move.”

Holliday shared the cover – on which she dons a pink outfit that leaves her back and tattooed arm exposed -- on her social media account as well, saying that she was “over the moon.”

“This is totally surreal to see a fat body on the cover of a health magazine,” she posted.

The publication shared other pictures of Holliday from the photoshoot as well, in which she sports different outfits.

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/201...tal-cover.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    She's right. Her health is none of my business but I think it's stupid to put her on the cover of a health an fitness magazine. Self must be hurting for subscribers.
    They are expediting their demise.

We should not be promoting obesity. It's not healthy.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    People can make, sell and wear whatever they want, I already said that.
    It is the campaign to pretend fat is beautiful that is the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    We should not be promoting obesity. It's not healthy.
    Also, very expensive in healthcare costs . . . insurance company payouts go up and everyone's premiums go up.

And whether some admit it or not, it probably is true that gross obesity has some effect in the workplace on productivity.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    There may well be a bit too much eating and sugar going on but also we have a current culture where many do not get enough activity in the work they do for the 6 in ten who actually work .
    And then there is the matter of the "sugar" tax . . .
    the beverage tax paid by everyone if you are unlucky enough to live in such a municipality (Boulder, CO is one).
    I think the food stamp card customers get it removed and don't pay it, but that might be state-specific.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 07-02-2018 at 06:28 PM.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "sick in the tissue"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I disagree with you.

Big girls have told me I'm cuddly. I don't mind, I think they mean it as a compliment.

I have never been suffocated or actually crushed either.. all good.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123