Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: “Plus-Size” Culture Normalizes Obesity – Study

“Plus-Size” Culture Normalizes Obesity – Study

New research warns that the normalization of ‘plus-size’ body shapes may be leading to an increasing number of people underestimating their weight – undermining efforts to tackle England’s ever-growing obesity problem.
    While attempts to reduce stigmatization of larger body sizes – for example with the launch of plus-size clothing ranges – help promote body positivity, the study highlights an unintentional negative consequence that may prevent recognition of the health risks of being overweight.
    The study by Dr. Raya Muttarak, from the University of East Anglia (UEA) and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), in Austria, examined the demographic and socioeconomic characteristics associated with underestimation of weight status to reveal social inequalities in patterns of weight misperception.

Analysis of data from almost 23,460 people who are overweight or obese revealed that weight misperception has increased in England. Men and individuals with lower levels of education and income are more likely to underestimate their weight status and consequently less likely to try to lose weight.
    Members of minority ethnic groups are also more likely to underestimate their weight than the white population, however they are more likely to try to lose weight. Overall, those underestimating their weight are 85% less likely to try to lose weight compared with people who accurately identified their weight status.
    The results, published today in the journal Obesity, show that the number of overweight individuals who are misperceiving their weight has increased over time, from 48.4% to 57.9% in men and 24.5% to 30.6% in women between 1997 and 2015. Similarly, among individuals classified as obese, the proportion of men misperceiving their weight in 2015 was almost double that of 1997 (12% vs 6.6%).
    The study comes amid growing global concern about rising obesity rates and follows a 2017 report by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) that showed 63% of adults in the UK are overweight or obese.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/plus-size-c...obesity-study/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So you don't think fat people deserve to have clothes? Fat people work, too. They need to look well groomed like anyone else.

And, just saying' big and tall for men has never been an issue. It's just when designers start paying attention to women that it somehow normalizes obesity.

I know a guy so fat you could slipcover a Cadillac with his shirts, but I'm glad he's up and working, and not laying home yelling at people to bring him food.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    So you don't think fat people deserve to have clothes? Fat people work, too. They need to look well groomed like anyone else.

And, just saying' big and tall for men has never been an issue. It's just when designers start paying attention to women that it somehow normalizes obesity.

I know a guy so fat you could slipcover a Cadillac with his shirts, but I'm glad he's up and working, and not laying home yelling at people to bring him food.
    It is the movement to portray fat as normal or even "beautiful" that is the problem, I don't see anything wrong with making clothes in any size the public needs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That's not what I would call a very healthy attitude. It is harsh and unkind. People have always been different sizes.

Back in the day pregnancy was treated like a disease. Black or navy with big bows at the neck. Look at any old episode of I Love Lucy.

Back in the day people with mental challenges were locked up in institutions. The other day I sat in an automotive waiting room with a mom and her two teenage autistic kids. I was glad to see the rest of the people waiting just acted like it was normal. We are a better society when we don't judge the differences in people.

No, what we have done is normalize the vulgarity of Peter Fonda, Samantha Bee, and Kathy Griffin. We treat Paris Hilton, Nicole Ritchie and the Kardashians like uselessness is normal. The only thing protecting them from being homeless is their parents' money.

Plus-size is anything over size 14. Depending on height, that's not all that big.
    #NashvilleStrong

That's not what I would call a very healthy attitude. It is harsh and unkind. People have always been different sizes.
    Beauty is the ideal, fat is not ideal.

Back in the day pregnancy was treated like a disease. Black or navy with big bows at the neck. Look at any old episode of I Love Lucy.
    Pregnancy is not the same as fat.

Back in the day people with mental challenges were locked up in institutions. The other day I sat in an automotive waiting room with a mom and her two teenage autistic kids. I was glad to see the rest of the people waiting just acted like it was normal. We are a better society when we don't judge the differences in people.
    Accepting the disabled is not the same as pretending fat is beautiful.

No, what we have done is normalize the vulgarity of Peter Fonda, Samantha Bee, and Kathy Griffin. We treat Paris Hilton, Nicole Ritchie and the Kardashians like uselessness is normal. The only thing protecting them from being homeless is their parents' money.
    So you don't like it when a non-ideal is promoted?

Plus-size is anything over size 14. Depending on height, that's not all that big.
    I'm not overly familiar with clothing sizes but I don't care about specifics, the current PC trend is to glorify people drowning in fat and pretend that they are beautiful and that they shouldn't feel a need to lose weight for aesthetic or health reasons.

There is a normal range of body fat that is a matter of genetics and taste, then there is a slightly overweight range that isn't really bad but is less desirable, then there is FAT through WHALE, the first is to be celebrated and aspired to, the second is acceptable and the third should be discouraged.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I know many fat people who are beautiful. I would rather see an overweight person well dressed than a skinny guy with his meth-rotten teeth.

Great artists over time thought women were more beautiful with some meat on the bones.
    #NashvilleStrong

I know many fat people who are beautiful.
    Unless you are using a different definition of fat than I am you are wrong, some fat people can be pleasant looking but they can't be beautiful.

I would rather see an overweight person well dressed than a skinny guy with his meth-rotten teeth.
    There are many different ways to be ugly and some are worse than others.

Great artists over time thought women were more beautiful with some meat on the bones.
    Many people throughout history have had bad taste.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Fat people are addicted to eating no different than a heroin addict is addicted.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are definitely beautiful fat people out there.
    First of all, fat has been seen as the very paragon of attractiveness at various times in history, so saying that it's objectively not beautiful flies in the face of evidence.
    But I do recognize that today it's not seen as attractive, but it is entirely possible for fat people to be attractive.
    I don't think it's common, though... and for me personally, if I am to find a large woman physically beautiful, a lot of factors need to be present that aren't normally in fat people.
    I will say that all of the photos that are going to follow in this thread are as manufactured as any other model shoots.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Unless you are using a different definition of fat than I am you are wrong, some fat people can be pleasant looking but they can't be beautiful.
    hrm
    beau·ti·ful
    pleasing the senses or mind aesthetically.
    Seems like it would be a fiercely independent ideal.

I know many fat people who are beautiful. I would rather see an overweight person well dressed than a skinny guy with his meth-rotten teeth.

You related to AF? Do you shop at Walmart too?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Well dressed is just as subjective as beauty.

New research warns that the normalization of ‘plus-size’ body shapes may be leading to an increasing number of people underestimating their weight – undermining efforts to tackle England’s ever-growing obesity problem.
    While attempts to reduce stigmatization of larger body sizes – for example with the launch of plus-size clothing ranges – help promote body positivity, the study highlights an unintentional negative consequence that may prevent recognition of the health risks of being overweight.
    The study by Dr. Raya Muttarak, from the University of East Anglia (UEA) and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), in Austria, examined the demographic and socioeconomic characteristics associated with underestimation of weight status to reveal social inequalities in patterns of weight misperception.

Analysis of data from almost 23,460 people who are overweight or obese revealed that weight misperception has increased in England. Men and individuals with lower levels of education and income are more likely to underestimate their weight status and consequently less likely to try to lose weight.
    Members of minority ethnic groups are also more likely to underestimate their weight than the white population, however they are more likely to try to lose weight. Overall, those underestimating their weight are 85% less likely to try to lose weight compared with people who accurately identified their weight status.
    The results, published today in the journal Obesity, show that the number of overweight individuals who are misperceiving their weight has increased over time, from 48.4% to 57.9% in men and 24.5% to 30.6% in women between 1997 and 2015. Similarly, among individuals classified as obese, the proportion of men misperceiving their weight in 2015 was almost double that of 1997 (12% vs 6.6%).
    The study comes amid growing global concern about rising obesity rates and follows a 2017 report by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) that showed 63% of adults in the UK are overweight or obese.
    If the majority of adults are overweight then isn't it is normal to be obese?

There are many different ways to be ugly and some are worse than others.

Many people throughout history have had bad taste.
    ANd here why the internet sucks.

If some guy started talking like this in real life, he'd be asked to leave. There's nothing positive or constuctive in you. You're merely insulting people simply because you don't like the way they look. Which makes you far uglier than they will ever be.

It is the movement to portray fat as normal or even "beautiful" that is the problem, I don't see anything wrong with making clothes in any size the public needs.

The skinny-minny look started in the 60s with Twiggy. Before the 20th Century, it was considered pleasing to be plump and a sign of wealth. Most of today's "fatness" comes from the great American diet, which is bunk and not at all healthy.

And Marilyn Monroe would be considered "fat" today.
    There is no spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Fat people are addicted to eating no different than a heroin addict is addicted.
    There may well be a bit too much eating and sugar going on but also we have a current culture where many do not get enough activity in the work they do for the 6 in ten who actually work .
    Do something Danke

I think in the old days when fat was considered beautiful it was because fat people were upper society and admired for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I think in the old days when fat was considered beautiful it was because fat people were upper society and admired for that.
    They were the only ones getting fat because everyone else who even had an opportunity to over eat was working that ass off .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    If the majority of adults are overweight then isn't it is normal to be obese?
    No, we are living in abnormal times.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    ANd here why the internet sucks.

If some guy started talking like this in real life, he'd be asked to leave. There's nothing positive or constuctive in you. You're merely insulting people simply because you don't like the way they look. Which makes you far uglier than they will ever be.
    This just shows how far the left has succeeded, objective standards are considered offensive and people on this site are calling for those who disagree with them to be silenced.

"Fat" is not beautiful, some fat people can be pleasant looking and there is a level of extra weight that isn't "fat" where people can still be beautiful.

If you don't like it you can disagree with me or you can retreat to your safe space and howl at the sky.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    The skinny-minny look started in the 60s with Twiggy. Before the 20th Century, it was considered pleasing to be plump and a sign of wealth. Most of today's "fatness" comes from the great American diet, which is bunk and not at all healthy.

And Marilyn Monroe would be considered "fat" today.
    If you consider Marilyn Monroe "fat" then we are not talking with the same definitions, it isn't the Marilyn Monroes of the world that are being promoted as a false ideal of beauty, it is the obviously over weight who are visibly on the way to being spherical.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Artist Peter Paul Rubens is noted for his paintings of beautiful voluptuous women.
    #NashvilleStrong

I want to add one more thing. In places where food was scarce and disease was rampant, well fed bodies symbolize health and prosperity.
    #NashvilleStrong

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Artist Peter Paul Rubens is noted for his paintings of beautiful voluptuous fat women.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I want to add one more thing. In places where food was scarce and disease was rampant, well fed bodies symbolize health and prosperity.
    Adverse conditions can cause all sorts of mental derangements.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So you are sticking to the ignorance? Do some homework. Look at historical artwork.

You are nitpicking first world stuff, pal. Wear what you want and leave people alone. You are throwing gutter balls here.
    #NashvilleStrong

Artist Peter Paul Rubens is noted for his paintings of beautiful voluptuous women.
    Mentioned in #15 already.

So you are sticking to the ignorance? Do some homework. Look at historical artwork.

You are nitpicking first world stuff, pal. Wear what you want and leave people alone. You are throwing gutter balls here.
    I am defending the ideal against those who seek to make themselves or others feel good by denying reality.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I am defending the ideal against those who seek to make themselves or others feel good by denying reality.
    Didn't you get enough participation trophies in school.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast