Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump to start US Space Force

I think someone let Trump watch Iron Sky and didn't realize the consequences.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Just because the government does it, doesn’t automagically make it Constitutional. In order to have a US Air Force that is not the Army Air Corps, requires a Constitutional Amendment. If you seriously got an Air Force out of Article 1 Section 8, then I don’t think I’ve got anything to help you.
    The Air Farce is an army and A1S8 gives Congress the power to raise and support armies (note the plural), just because they use different weapons than were available to the founders doesn't make them not an army.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The Air Farce is an army and A1S8 gives Congress the power to raise and support armies (note the plural), just because they use different weapons than were available to the founders doesn't make them not an army.
    Then why mention the Navy?

If the air force is an air army and the space force is a space army, then the navy is a sea army.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Then why mention the Navy?

If the air force is an air army and the space force is a space army, then the navy is a sea army.
    Because the navy was specifically being given something that other armies weren't: permission for unlimited appropriations.
    The reasons for and wisdom of that decision are a different topic.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That sounds like justification for anything you can dream of. After all, the drug war is just a function of interstate commerce, right?

Sorry, words have meaning. You don’t get to run around changing the meaning of words in order to shoe-horn whatever the hell you want I to the Constitution. That’s how the left is trying to neuter the Second Amendment. “Regulated” and all that.

Article 1 Section 8 authorizes ONE Army and ONE Navy, so even if we took your absurdity as an “Air Army” it still doesn’t work.

The provision is organizational, not connotative. When it was the Army Air Corps it was under the Department of the Army and therefore Constitutional. In order to become it’s own organizational branch it requires a Constitutional Amendment.

This should be blatant on it’s face. Don’t get carried away by wishful thinking.

That sounds like justification for anything you can dream of. After all, the drug war is just a function of interstate commerce, right?

Sorry, words have meaning. You don’t get to run around changing the meaning of words in order to shoe-horn whatever the hell you want I to the Constitution. That’s how the left is trying to neuter the Second Amendment. “Regulated” and all that.

Article 1 Section 8 authorizes ONE Army and ONE Navy, so even if we took your absurdity as an “Air Army” it still doesn’t work.

The provision is organizational, not connotative. When it was the Army Air Corps it was under the Department of the Army and therefore Constitutional. In order to become it’s own organizational branch it requires a Constitutional Amendment.

This should be blatant on it’s face. Don’t get carried away by wishful thinking.
    It says armies (plural):

A1S8:
    1: The Congress shall have Power.......

12: To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
    13: To provide and maintain a Navy;
    14: To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

All it takes is an act of Congress.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Because the navy was specifically being given something that other armies weren't: permission for unlimited appropriations.
    Why not have 80 Departments of the Army?

You are doing the the exact same bizarre interpretation dance that gave us the FDA, Department of Education, the Drug War, Wickard v Filburn and more.

That’s not the way the Constitution is supposed to work. You can’t just retcon whatever you want into the Constitution. That’s how the Swamp operates.

Why not have 80 Departments of the Army?

You are doing the the exact same bizarre interpretation dance that gave us the FDA, Department of Education, the Drug War, Wickard v Filburn and more.

That’s not the way the Constitution is supposed to work. You can’t just retcon whatever you want into the Constitution. That’s how the Swamp operates.
    I don't think the Air Farce ever should have been made independent and I don't think space command should be either but the Constitution says "armies" not "army".
    Congress has the power to raise and support as many as it likes, this isn't expanding what they can do it is simply a matter of how many times they can do it and the Constitution puts no limit on how many times they may.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I don't think we can send lefties to mars on the government dime fast enough to bring about any real political change unless we start with the politicians first, or they have some secret antimatter/fusion energy technology they want to scare the rest of the world with. I wouldn't want to go into space without a $#@! ton of water and a way to block radiation, you could probably accomplish both of those things but it would be huge, it would need a space elevator to get it into space at a reasonable cost. So lets start with the space elevator, we can call it the tower of babel, for $#@!s and giggles.
    Space Babel is good.

To hell with shipping and handling.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

If the Air Farce isn't an army then it would have been unconstitutional when it was the Army Air Corps, that would have been a case of using the army to do something the Constitution didn't allow.

However there is no validity to such an argument because using a different weapons set doesn't make them something different.

What might be unconstitutional is the USMC, the Navy is operating an army that has a major presence on land and it has an appropriation longer than 2 years.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Marine Corps was raised up by an Act of the Continental Congress on 10 November 1775, and then again in the Constitutional era on 27 March 1794. The Marines were used extensively as an “Army Afloat” for amphibious raids and land marches like the assault on Derna right from the start. Their role did not actually depend on the Navy from the origins of the organization.

If what you were claiming was correct, then Congress would have formed the Marines as a “Water Army” branch instead of putting them under the Department of the Navy in order to retain full Constitutionality.

The proper method of Constitutional interpretation is Original Intent. The same people who wrote the Constitution had already dealt with the formation of another kind of military branch, and we can see that original intent in that act.

Only two military departments are authorized in the Constitution. If you want more than two, amend it.

I happen to agree that that we need an Air Force. Until we amend the Constitution, it needs to remain under the Department of the Army.

As as far as the plural of “Armies,” you may not recall that Armies were state based at the time. Army of New York. Army of North Carolina. Army of Pennsylvania. You have to look at the Constitution in CONTEXT.

Edited to fix a stupidphone autocorrect. Derna, not Debra.
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 06-19-2018 at 12:01 AM.

If the Air Farce isn't an army then it would have been unconstitutional when it was the Army Air Corps, that would have been a case of using the army to do something the Constitution didn't allow.

However there is no validity to such an argument because using a different weapons set doesn't make them something different.

What might be unconstitutional is the USMC, the Navy is operating an army that has a major presence on land and it has an appropriation longer than 2 years.
    No, the Army and Navy provisions are organizational. The Army Air Corps was organized under the Department of the Army. The same people who wrote the Constitution also created the Marine Corps and put them under the Department of the Navy. Are you claiming that the same people who wrote the Constitution did not know how to understand the words that they, themselves wrote?

No, the Army and Navy provisions are organizational. The Army Air Corps was organized under the Department of the Army. The same people who wrote the Constitution also created the Marine Corps and put them under the Department of the Navy. Are you claiming that the same people who wrote the Constitution did not know how to understand the words that they, themselves wrote?
    I'm claiming that the original Marine Corps had no significant presence on land and that the founders chipped, bent and broke the Constitution that they wrote, the Alien and Sedition acts were in flagrant violation of the Constitution.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Marine Corps was raised up by an Act of the Continental Congress on 10 November 1775, and then again in the Constitutional era on 27 March 1794. The Marines were used extensively as an “Army Afloat” for amphibious raids and land marches like the assault on Debra right from the start. Their role did not actually depend on the Navy from the origins of the organization.

If what you were claiming was correct, then Congress would have formed the Marines as a “Water Army” branch instead of putting them under the Department of the Navy in order to retain full Constitutionality.

The proper method of Constitutional interpretation is Original Intent. The same people who wrote the Constitution had already dealt with the formation of another kind of military branch, and we can see that original intent in that act.

Only two military departments are authorized in the Constitution. If you want more than two, amend it.

I happen to agree that that we need an Air Force. Until we amend the Constitution, it needs to remain under the Department of the Army.

As as far as the plural of “Armies,” you may not recall that Armies were state based at the time. Army of New York. Army of North Carolina. Army of Pennsylvania. You have to look at the Constitution in CONTEXT.
    They put the Marine Corps under the Navy to evade the 2 year limit on appropriations for armies.

You can divide your armies by area or by focus, the difference is all but nonexistent.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LMAO! James Madison wrote the Constitution, but Swordsmyth here understands it better than the guy who...you know...actually wrote it...

John Adams signed the Act into law to form the Marines in 1798. James Madison served 1809-1817 and continued to utilize the Marines in 1811.

Clearly the guy who wrote the Constitution thought they were Constitutional....

Because they were organized under the Constitutional Department of the Navy.

smdh.

I'm claiming that the original Marine Corps had no significant presence on land and that the founders chipped, bent and broke the Constitution that they wrote, the Alien and Sedition acts were in flagrant violation of the Constitution.
    You should demand a refund from your history professor. That base in Georgia that James Madison established in 1811 for Marines to operate out of? Yeah, you didn't know anything about that at all, did you?

All of this was during James Madison's Presidency. Again, the guy who actually....wrote....the Constitution:

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...n_Marine_Corps

In May 1811, 2 officers and 47 Marines established an advanced base on Cumberland Island, Georgia to be used for actions against pirates in Spanish Florida, and captured Fernandina on 18 March 1812 for occupation until May 1813. This was the first peacetime overseas base of the United States.

U.S. Marines in June 1814 aboard the USS Wasp fire from the rigging at the HMS Reindeer during the famous naval battle

U.S. Marines manning their guns August 1814 at Bladensburg, attached to the Chesapeake Bay Flotilla under the command of U.S. Navy Commodore Joshua Barney in defense of Washington D.C.

The Marine Corps' first land action of the War of 1812 was the establishment of an advanced base at Sackets Harbor, New York by 63 Marines. This gave the Navy a base on the shores of Lake Ontario, and later, headquartered their operations in the Great Lakes; Marines helped to repel two British attacks (the First and Second Battle of Sacket's Harbor).[79] The Marines also established another base at Erie, Pennsylvania. Marine ship detachments took part in the great frigate duels of the war, the first U.S. victories of the war. By the end of the war Marines acquired a reputation as marksmen, especially in ship-to-ship actions. On 27 April 1813, Marines participated in United States Army Colonel Winfield Scott's landing at York (now Toronto).[79] Under Commodore Joshua Barney and Captain Samuel Miller, they acted to delay the British forces marching toward Washington at the Battle of Bladensburg.[79] During the battle, they held the line after the Army and militia retreated, though were eventually overrun. Tradition holds that the British respected their fighting enough to spare the Marine Barracks and Commandant's house when they burned Washington,[80] though they may have intended to use it as a headquarters; a related legend cites that two NCOs buried treasure at the site (to prevent its capture) that is yet unfound.[80] At the Battle of New Orleans, the Marines held the center of Gen Andrew Jackson's defensive line. A total of 46 Marines would die and 66 were wounded in the war.[67]

Together with sailors and Army troops, they again captured Amelia Island and Fernandina in Spanish Florida on 23 December 1817.

I'm claiming ... that the founders chipped, bent and broke the Constitution that they wrote,
    So yeah, you are claiming to understand the Constitution better than the guy who wrote it.

the Alien and Sedition acts were in flagrant violation of the Constitution.
    James Madison wrote in The Virginia Report, 1800, by the Virginia House of Delegates, that the Sedition Act was unconstitutional.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why not just put the space force under the postal system?

All space ships send and receive messages, which is your standard for making them post offices. That seems like the easiest constitutional justification.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

LMAO! James Madison wrote the Constitution, but Swordsmyth here understands it better than the guy who...you know...actually wrote it...

John Adams signed the Act into law to form the Marines in 1798. James Madison served 1809-1817 and continued to utilize the Marines in 1811.

Clearly the guy who wrote the Constitution thought they were Constitutional....

Because they were organized under the Constitutional Department of the Navy.

smdh.
    You should demand a refund from your history professor. That base in Georgia that James Madison established in 1811 for Marines to operate out of? Yeah, you didn't know anything about that at all, did you?
    I know they had bases, they didn't live on ships all of the time, but they were a tiny force compared to the army.
    Also I said "MAY" be unconstitutional.
    Madison establishing them does not make it constitutional any more than a national bank is constitutional because Hamilton (who was also at the constitutional convention) wanted one.
    The Founders began violating the Constitution almost as soon as the ink was dry.
    In any case if the USMC is constitutional in spite of the violation of the 2 year appropriation limit on armies (which was intended as a check on any armed force that might be used to subjugate the people [the USMC fits that description]) then the Air Farce and now a space army certainly are.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So yeah, you are claiming to understand the Constitution better than the guy who wrote it.
    He does this a lot.
    Pinochet is the model

I know they had bases, they didn't live on ships all of the time, but they were a tiny force compared to the army.
    Also I said "MAY" be unconstitutional.
    Madison establishing them does not make it constitutional any more than a national bank is constitutional because Hamilton (who was also at the constitutional convention) wanted one.
    The Founders began violating the Constitution almost as soon as the ink was dry.
    In any case if the USMC is constitutional in spite of the violation of the 2 year appropriation limit on armies (which was intended as a check on any armed force that might be used to subjugate the people [the USMC fits that description]) then the Air Farce and now a space army certainly are.
    You don't get to wish whatever you want into the Constitution.

The Constitution authorized two branches. An Army branch and a Navy branch. Any military force must either reside under one of the two Constitutionally authorized branches, or a Constitutional Amendment must be made to amend the Constitution to authorize a third branch.

This isn't rocket science, and I know you are smarter than this. Is this deliberate, or is this just an example of Trumgasming?

All space ships send and receive messages, which is your standard for making them post offices. That seems like the easiest constitutional justification.
    They do not provide the public with communications services so they are not a postal service.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

lol! out of ammo...

They do not provide the public with communications services so they are not a postal service.
    .... until there is a 'public' on Mars, which seems to be in the works as we speak, so his point remains.

You don't get to wish whatever you want into the Constitution.

The Constitution authorized two branches. An Army branch and a Navy branch. Any military force must either reside under one of the two Constitutionally authorized branches, or a Constitutional Amendment must be made to amend the Constitution to authorize a third branch.

This isn't rocket science, and I know you are smarter than this. Is this deliberate, or is this just an example of Trumgasming?
    I don't agree with Trump doing this and he is acting unconstitutionally because he doesn't have an act of Congress.
    The Constitution doesn't "authorize two branches" it authorizes Congress to raise and support Armies and a Navy, that is an important difference, nowhere does it specify how any armies raised are to be organized, it gives that power to Congress to do with as it chooses:

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Global Positioning System, originally Navstar GPS, is a satellite-based radionavigation system owned by the United States government and operated by the United States Air Force.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glob...tioning_System

GPS satellites are functionally radio towers, sending messages.
    Pinochet is the model

.... until there is a 'public' on Mars, which seems to be in the works as we speak, so his point remains.
    The space force wouldn't be Constitutional as a postal service until then........So my point still stands.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glob...tioning_System

GPS satellites are functionally radio towers, sending messages.
    Just because something may or may not be able to be considered a postal service doesn't mean it has to be one, GPS satellites are primarily a military project and that is how they are justified, therefore they don't need to be justified as a postal service.
    Also they don't send linguistic messages in any human language.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I don't agree with Trump doing this and he is acting unconstitutionally because he doesn't have an act of Congress.
    The Constitution doesn't "authorize two branches" it authorizes Congress to raise and support Armies and a Navy, that is an important difference, nowhere does it specify how any armies raised are to be organized, it gives that power to Congress to do with as it chooses:

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces
    The Constituion clearly authorizes two Departments. Army, and Navy. This covers land and sea. If they want a force for the Air, they need to amend the Constitution. If they want a force for Space, they need to amend the Constitution.

Original Intent. The Framers did not originally intend aircraft and spaceships.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast