Thread: Smart Phones Are Making Us Dumb As Dirt - Vid

Smart Phones Are Making Us Dumb As Dirt - Vid

1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Scary. Permanent drain bamage.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Ex Facebook President Sean Parker explains how Facebook exploited human behaviour, making a “social validation” loop, Facebook even interferes with society, including changing children’s brains.

Another Facebook executive, Chamath Palihapitiya, also explains how this works. He tells that people that think they’re very smart, are even more probable to fall for these strategies.
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

I used to be an avid reader of books. 6 to 10 a year. I don't think I've finished one in the last 4 years. Now there are other factors such as I am much more busy and my life is not the same as it was then, but I'm certain my smart phone has made my ability to concentrate much worse.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Ok, so the first example is that 30% of people he had dinner with needed to pull out their phones to divide a check by 10.
    There are a bunch of problems with this, but two spring to mind.
    The primary problem is that his anecdote assumes that those people were even capable of doing that math prior to having phones.
    That is not a good assumption, and the "stupid man on the street" interviews that have been popular for decades confirm this.
    The second immediately noticeable problem is that he's assuming that we're all just going to believe everyone in the group ordered the exact same thing.
    When has that ever happened, seriously? It's entirely possible they pulled out their phones to calculate 15% tip on the $14.36 they knew they spent, and whereas they should be able to spitball that and be decent enough to just throw an extra buck at the problem, there are a lot of people who get $#@!ty about group bills and want to fork over exact change.

Second actual example that isn't just him soapboxing: children having devices.
    Well guess what, they said the same thing about Nintendos, guy. Like, the exact. same. thing.
    Civilization hasn't collapsed yet. I mean, unless you want to count the literal, actual collapse being caused by an inexplicable tsunami of mentally retarded children (newly labeled as "autistic") which is literally going to cripple us all... I mean, sure, let's bitch about cellphones some more.

Third actual example - mice and flashing lights, and permanent brain damage. First thing to note is that no actual study was referenced, so he could be simply making $#@! up. But, this one is particularly germane to me as I just watched a vid on the Calhoun mouse utopia experiments... and you know what I noticed? Those mouse experiments, which everyone interested in urban planning always refers to, were happening at the exact same time that Kowloon Walled City was becoming the single most densely populated patch of earth on Earth, ever. And none of the things that happened in Calhoun's experiments happened in KWC.
    Why?
    Probably because human beings are not mice, and I'm insulted I have to be the one to point that out every time someone brings up mouse experiments.

I suspected through the whole video that something was up here, and that Damian might have been trolling us, but I see now at the end the guy in the vid is selling counseling services, so yeah, no conflict of interest there at all....
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I used to be an avid reader of books. 6 to 10 a year. I don't think I've finished one in the last 4 years. Now there are other factors such as I am much more busy and my life is not the same as it was then, but I'm certain my smart phone has made my ability to concentrate much worse.
    I used to pay video games on the TV. Now I play them on the toilet.
    I used to have to call people and leave messages and hope that they would get it and get back to me. Now I simply text them, and arrange entire deals in an asynchronous and yet totally documented manner.
    I used to have to store facts in long-term memory for the rare occasion when I would need them. Now, there is literally no reason for me to remember how a SQL Server PIVOT statement works. The only possible case I would have to remember stuff like that is if the internet suddenly went away, and if that happened, there would be zero reason for me to need to know this stuff.

I was a late adopter of cellphones... and when I finally got one, the ability to make phone calls was pretty much at the bottom of my list of reasons.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

There are a lot of contributing factors for Intellectual Decline, so it isnt just limited to cell phones.

There are quite a few ways to cause harm to the mind. They can be broken into several major categories. First of which is a Polarized perspective with "Presence" and "Absence". The Presence means that the mind takes in information that is incorrect, and just means that the information is "present". The other big way, which is limited to just this perspective, is "Absence". Information which the mind needs is simply not available.

From just one point of view, the way that Cell Phones damage the mind is by Absence. I think we can all agree that Cell Phones are VERY distracting. What we arent considering quite as heavily is what would normally occupy the minds of people if the cell phone were not there, and what type of learning would occur without the distraction of a cell phone. Im too distracted to go out and play, or do laundry, or do work, or LEARN. But what kind of Learning? Learning about the intricacies of human communication? Learning how big of a role Body Language plays in how we communicate? That is a form of damage that Cell Phone distraction also causes to the mind, but is also very limited in its perspective as there are many ways that it can happen.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I think we can all agree that Cell Phones are VERY distracting. What we arent considering quite as heavily is what would normally occupy the minds of people if the cell phone were not there, and what type of learning would occur without the distraction of a cell phone. Im too distracted to go out and play, or do laundry, or do work, or LEARN. But what kind of Learning? Learning about the intricacies of human communication? Learning how big of a role Body Language plays in how we communicate? That is a form of damage that Cell Phone distraction also causes to the mind, but is also very limited in its perspective as there are many ways that it can happen.
    I'm gonna go watch some YouTube vids about this during my drive home.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's that fa g talk again...go away, 'batin!

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ounding-father

"Delete Your Account" Warns Virtual Reality Founding Father

by Tyler Durden

Tue, 06/19/2018 - 20:25

In a new explosive interview, Silicon Valley tech pioneer and creator of the virtual reality 'avatar' Jaron Lanier tells people to delete your social media accounts due to the strong correlation between persistent social media usage and a dramatic societal rise in depression, anger, and anxiety that he says is the result of internet-induced modified forms of behavior.

The warning comes in the wake of his new book which details how the creators of social media and the early engineers behind the internet "foolishly laid the foundations for global monopolies."

Virtual Reality pioneer Jaron Lanier with a prototype VR kit in 1990. Photograph: Rex Features

Jaron Lanier is best known as a founding father of the field of virtual reality and throughout his polymath career has written extensively on human-computer interaction, including most recently in his book Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now.

Lanier explained in a recent UK Channel 4 interview:

When you watch the television the television isn't watching you. When you see the billboard the billboard isn't seeing you... When you use these new designs — social media, search, YouTube — when you see these things, you're being observed constantly and algorithms are taking that information and changing what you see next.

According to Lanier's bio, he coined the term 'Virtual Reality' (VR) and in the early 1980s founded VPL Research, the first company to sell VR products. In the late 1980s he led the team that developed the first implementations of multi-person virtual worlds using head mounted displays, as well as the first "avatars," and developed the first widely used software platform architecture for immersive virtual reality applications.

As he defiantly asserts on his personal website, Lanier himself has "no social media accounts at all and all purported ones are fake."

He's elsewhere said that most internet and social media pioneers in Silicon Valley "have regrets right now" after perfecting what is essentially mass human behavioral engineering and that that internet addiction is not only ruining people's lives but the political process as well.

This is what I could call almost a stealthy addiction. It's a statistical addiction.
    What it says is we will get the broad population to use the services a lot, we'll get them hooked through a scheme of rewards and punishment, and the rewards are when you're retweeted and the punishment is when you're treated badly by others online, and then within that we'll very gradually start to leverage that, to change them.
    It's this very kind of stealthy manipulation of the population. -Jaron Lanier to Channel 4

Lanier described this process of manipulation more in-depth in his book, where he puts it like this: “The algorithm is trying to capture the perfect parameters for manipulating a brain, while the brain, in order to seek out deeper meaning, is changing in response to the algorithm’s experiments…Because the stimuli from the algorithm doesn’t mean anything, because they genuinely are random, the brain isn’t responding to anything real, but to a fiction. That process – of becoming hooked on an elusive mirage – is addiction.”

Of the nature of this addiction he described further to Channel 4:

So it's not as dramatic as a heroin addict or a gambling addict, but it is the same principle.
    ...It's made people jittery and cranky, it's made teens especially depressed, which can be quite severe.
    The scariest example is a correlation between rises in teen suicide and the rise in use of social media.

Concerning practical advice especially to young people who've grown up within a digital and device driven world:

If you're a young person and you've only lived with social media, your first duty is to yourself. You have to know yourself.
    You should experience travel, you should experience challenge to yourself... you can't know yourself without perspective,so at least give it six months without social media.

And among the more worrisome results of this process for society as a whole?

Though as Lanier explains in his book the internet was not established with built-in monetized functions, the potential of the architecture to be used wrongly for "global monopolies" whether political or economic has proven explosive: “Everyone knew these functions … would be needed. We figured it would be wiser to let entrepreneurs fill in the blanks than to leave that task to government … We foolishly laid the foundations for global monopolies.”

View the full interview below:

Jaron Lanier's Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now according to his book:
    1) You are losing your free will.
    2) Quitting social media is the most finely targeted way to resist the insanity of our times.
    3) Social media is making you an $#@!.
    4) Social media is underming truth.
    5) Social media is making what you say meaningless.
    6) Social media is destroying your capacity for empathy.
    7) Social media is making you unhappy.
    8) Social media doesn't want you to have economic dignity.
    9) Social media is making politics impossible.
    10) Social media hates your soul.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

This technology brings people together instantly with constant new updates on social or current events. People are social and kind of like this, yet this is so immediate and constant, it virtually encroaches on their space and I think a weird side effect of this is an emerging New Tribalism that pushes back. I think we see this play out online with quickly escalating arguments, vicious bickering, gossiping, or un-friending.

My thoughts on this are influenced by Marshall Mcluhan who wrote The Gutenberg Galaxy discussing evolving forms of Media; in particular the shift from Oral Tradition to the Literature that was made possible with the Printing Press. He made the case that Literature as a solitary pursuit allowed a person to absorb information at their own pace alone. This kind of learning contributed a lot to a much more Individualistic-Man seeking to learn about themselves and their place in the world or more time for contemplation.

I've heard a few commentatores jokingly say that if Mcluhan were alive today, he'd say we were now in the Zuckerberg Galaxy where information is so constant that people barely have time to for contemplation before encountering other news or opinions from their peers. I think another Tribal aspect is to flock to banners and group identities. Also, the information content received probably has less effect than the multiple forms of Media transmitting it or bombarding people's senses.

Just sharing. I think this guy was brilliant and watched from the side as Media was developed by idiots.

Last edited by VIDEODROME; 06-20-2018 at 09:56 AM.