Thread: Russia refuses to allow Nigerian fans to bring live chickens into stadium

Russia refuses to allow Nigerian fans to bring live chickens into stadium

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...16-p4zlwb.html

16 June 2018

Nigerian fans cheering on their national team in Saturday's World Cup match against Croatia will be missing an important item in their supporter's toolkit: chickens.

Live chickens are sometimes seen at soccer matches in Nigeria where fans paint them in the green and white colours of their national flag before holding them aloft and leading crowd chanting.

But officials in the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad, where Nigeria will take on Croatia on Saturday in their first outing at the World Cup, have said animals will not be allowed in the stadium.

Andrei Yermak, Kaliningrad's minister for culture and tourism, said that whilst there had been no official requests to do so, some Nigerian fans had asked if it would be possible to bring chickens to the match.

"It was explained to the fans that according to safety regulations, it is not permitted to enter the stadium with live animals," he said in written comments to Reuters on Friday.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Jules will be disappointed.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Good.

They were trying to prevent another incident like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Jules will be disappointed.
    Nigerian fans aren't actually know for chickens, they are known for bringing talking drums to the stadium. But then again it is soccer and they will do just about anything if they believe it would help em win. I was licking a pet snake yesterday hoping that would tilt the odds against Croatia. That bloody snake failed me again

Listen closely and you will hear a drum playing in the background. That is the hallmark of Nigerian soccer fans, this chicken guy is definitely an outlier. Also, the songs they are singing are praise music because Nigerians are fanatically religious.

He is a miracle working God, he is the alpha and Omega, he is a miracle working God .......

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Nigerian fans aren't actually know for chickens, they are known for bringing talking drums to the stadium. But then again it is soccer and they will do just about anything if they believe it would help em win. I was licking a pet snake yesterday hoping that would tilt the odds against Croatia. That bloody snake failed me again
    Who am I to judge? Maybe you would have better luck next time with the injun and his spirits.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Maybe they are service animals. Emotional support chickens.

The Nashville hockey fans like to take dead fish to games. Detroit prefers octopus. https://www.sbnation.com/2017/5/29/1...7-nhl-playoffs

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    UPDATE to the ridiculous chicken story

Nigeria supporters deny 'ridiculous' chicken reports

Nigerian football supporters have been left bemused by reports of a request to Russian officials to have live chickens taken into the World Cup venues as good luck charms.

It was reported last week, on various platforms, that Nigerian fans had been denied their requests to take chickens into the stadiums, but it's a request the supporters say did not come from them.

According to reports, Andrei Yermak, Kaliningrad's minister for culture and tourism, said: "It was explained to the fans that according to safety regulations, it is not permitted to enter the stadium with live animals."

While many African countries do have intriguing rituals and superstitions, taking live chickens to games is not a tradition Nigerians tend to follow, according to the supporters groups.

Both the Nigerian Football Supporters Club and the Nigerian Eagles Supporters Club told KweséESPN they have no idea where the request, supposedly made ahead of Nigeria's opening game against Croatia, originated from.

"That is ridiculous," Rafiu Ladipo, president of the NFSC, said. "I have been leading this group for decades, and we have never carried a live chicken into any stadium.

"The only things we carry are our musical instruments and we pray. Prayer is the only charm we have. Why should we need a chicken? Maybe someone just wants to deceive them [the Russians]."

Vincent Okumagba, who heads the rival NESC, was equally amused by the reports, though he did concede that it was possible a fan went rogue, so to speak, and asked officials for permission on his own.

"We read it just like everybody else, and we were a bit surprised. We would never make such a request, and we never did," Okumagba told KweséESPN.

"Perhaps somebody on his own decided that he wanted to take a chicken into the stadium for his own purposes, or maybe he is just having fun. But we do not take chickens into the stadium.

"Maybe somebody somewhere did not understand each other properly, I don't know."

Nigeria lost their opening game of the World Cup against Croatia on Saturday and now need a win against Iceland to keep their tournament dreams alive.
    Click on the link for video of the report. So like I said, Nigerians don't bring live chicken for good luck, their favorite form of superstition is to pray to god and sing praises to him. I personally think waving a life chicken around is just as successful as praying to god.