Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White House defends "moral" border policy that leads to separation of families

White House defends "moral" border policy that leads to separation of families

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/live-wh...tream-updates/

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Thursday it's "moral policy" to enforce the law, falsely claiming that federal law mandates the separation of families at the U.S.-Mexico border. In heated exchanges at Thursday's press briefing, Sanders was pressed about remarks by Attorney General Jeff Sessions' at an event in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on Thursday in which he cited the Bible to defend the administration's immigration policy.

"These laws are the same that have been on the books for over a decade and the president is simply enforcing them," Sanders claimed. She added that it's "moral policy to follow and enforce the law." CBS News' Paula Reid noted to Sanders that in fact there is no such law that requires the separation of families at the border.

In April, Sessions announced that the Justice Department would prosecute anyone attempting to cross the border illegally, a "zero tolerance" policy that has resulted in the children being separated from parents. He defended the policy shift in his remarks on Thursday.

"First, illegal entry into the United States is a crime -- as it should be. Persons who violate the law of our nation are subject to prosecution," Sessions said at the event. "I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order. Orderly and lawful processes are good in themselves and protect the weak and lawful."

Sanders said she was "not aware" of Sessions' comments but said it was "very biblical to enforce the law."
    More at link.

Link to Romans 13: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...13&version=NIV

Submission to Governing Authorities

13 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
    I guess God is not Libertarian.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-15-2018 at 12:33 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Related: They're too busy doing INTERNAL roadblocks.

There was a government report a few years ago that concluded that internal border patrol roadblocks are ineffective. They concluded that roadblocks at the actual border always work better. I summarized and commented on that report. My comment is below.

“The federal role is to detect and apprehend 30% of major illegal activity [at the border].”

--Richard Stana, General Accountability Office

A recent government report entitled Border Patrol http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09824.pdf) seems to suggest that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is not as intent on securing our borders because of other priorities. The Government Accountability Office (GAO) states that the goal of DHS is to apprehend just 30% of illegal aliens at the border. The report states, “…the DHS Annual Performance Report for fiscal years 2008-2010 sets a goal for detecting and apprehending about 30 percent of major illegal activity at ports of entry in 2009, indicating that 70 percent of criminals and contraband may pass through the ports and continue on interstates and major roads to the interior of the United States.” GAO spokesman Richard Stana states that this is necessary so as not to interfere with commerce and traffic. He states in a GAO presentation, “The federal role is to detect and apprehend 30% of major illegal activity [at the border].”

This 30% DHS goal is announced in the context of an increasing number of Border Patrol agents: “As of June 2009, the Border Patrol had 19,354 agents nationwide, an increase of 57 percent since September 2006. Of these agents, about 88 percent (17,011) were located in the nine Border Patrol sectors along the southwest border. About 4 percent of the Border Patrol’s agents in these sectors were assigned to [internal non-border] traffic checkpoints, according to the Border Patrol.”

The GAO report discusses the plans of DHS to create a permanent, internal non-border checkpoint in the Tucson Arizona sector, but the Border Patrol’s own statistics show that internal non-border checkpoints are ineffective compared to actual border checkpoints. There were 704,000 interdictions at actual border crossings in 2008; however, there were only 17,000 interdictions at internal non-border checkpoints. This 17,000 figure represents 2.4% of interdictions, but it took 4% of agents to accomplish this goal.

The figures for the Tucson Arizona sector are more dismal than national figures. Actual border interdictions numbered 320,000, but internal non-border checkpoint interdictions numbered 1,800. This means the number of interdictions per agent at the actual border was 116, but the number of interdictions per agent at internal non-border checkpoints was only 8.

The problem is further compounded because Border Patrol statistics are glaringly inaccurate: “Our analysis showed that the actual checkpoint performance results were incorrectly reported for two of the three measures in fiscal year 2007 and for one measure in fiscal year 2008. As a result, the Border Patrol incorrectly reported that it met its checkpoint performance targets for these two measures.”

The DHS proposal for a permanent, internal non-border checkpoint would seem to defy common sense. Illegal aliens and smugglers simply circumvent permanent checkpoints by taking another route. No criminal is going to “check-in” at a post that is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. Citizens have expressed concern regarding this illegal alien circumvention because “…checkpoint operations cause illegal aliens and smugglers to attempt to circumvent the checkpoint—resulting in adverse impacts to nearby residents and communities, such as private property damage, theft, and littering. These concerns were cited most often by ranchers and residents in areas around checkpoints.”

Border Patrol agents at the actual border also have much more authority than Border Patrol agents at internal nonborder checkpoints: “Border Patrol agents at [actual border] checkpoints have legal authority that agents do not have when patrolling areas away from the border.”

The permanent, internal non-border checkpoint proposed for the Tucson Arizona sector has an estimated price tag of 25-40 million dollars. This is hardly money well spent, considering Border Patrol’s own statistics suggesting internal
    checkpoints do not work.

This all leads back to the statement made by government spokesman Richard Stana, which is “The federal role is to detect and apprehend 30% of major illegal activity [at the border].” This statement alone attests to the glaring inefficiency, waste, and intrusion that is the United States federal government.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Care about separated families Zippy???

Juan Pina was permanently separated from his daughter after she was strangled, raped, and murdered by an illegal alien.
    Laura Wilkerson was permanently separated from her son, who was brutally murdered by an illegal alien classmate.
    Jamiel Shaw, Sr. was permanently separated from his son, who was tragically murdered by an illegal alien gang member.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Care about separated families Zippy???
    Zippy just tosses the red meat de jour hoping it will ignite doubts in the minds of the undecided.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I can but wonder what might be the payoff for you to post these nonsense articles.

What's in it for you?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Adult criminals are not housed with juveniles. It's really not that hard to understand...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I can but wonder what might be the payoff for you to post these nonsense articles.

For over 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

What's in it for you?

I'd say about 15-20 bucks per hour. Here's a different group doing the same thing*:

[Article title]: Israel to pay students to defend it online

[Excerpts]:

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel is looking to hire university students to post pro-Israel messages on social media networks — without needing to identify themselves as government-linked, officials said Wednesday.

The Israeli prime minister's office said in a statement that students on Israeli university campuses would receive full or partial scholarships to combat anti-Semitism and calls to boycott Israel online. It said students' messages would parallel statements by government officials.

"Everyone who believes in the cause, and wants to join, can join," he told The Associated Press. He said the office was looking to budget $778,000 for the project, and that the national Israeli student association would select participants from a pool of applicants.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...media/2651715/

*There actually was a Zionist on here either working for this project or a similar one. He pretended to do 2007 Florida meet-ups at Paulapalooza, but he was bogus as all get out. The current group is, of course, hardly Zionist, which makes me think it's an Open Society Foundation project.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 06-15-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I'd say about 15-20 bucks per hour.

That's what you get paid? How do I sign up?

That's what you get paid? How do I sign up?

No, I don't get paid at all. How do I sign up with your outfit? You don't seem to be getting the job done. You know, those red bars and all.

American parents can't leave their children alone for a single second without being accused of abuse. Mexican parents can drag their kids across a hot desert, knowing what they are doing is illegal, and that's not abuse? There are specific border crossing areas where this does not happen. It happens at places where people enter illegally. Parents are detained. Kids are fed and taken care of, then the whole family is sent back home.

It seems to me a person with common sense would get the message they shouldn't do that to their own kids. Stay home.

People can ask for asylum at any port of call. There are specific places where this happens. There is a specific process to it. Again, this is a do your homework kind of situation where people who wish to seek asylum can't be in the process of illegal entry to get it. They have to go to specific places and ask.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    American parents can't leave their children alone for a single second without being accused of abuse. Mexican parents can drag their kids across a hot desert, knowing what they are doing is illegal, and that's not abuse? There are specific border crossing areas where this does not happen. It happens at places where people enter illegally. Parents are detained. Kids are fed and taken care of, then the whole family is sent back home.

It seems to me a person with common sense would get the message they shouldn't do that to their own kids. Stay home.

People can ask for asylum at any port of call. There are specific places where this happens. There is a specific process to it. Again, this is a do your homework kind of situation where people who wish to seek asylum can't be in the process of illegal entry to get it. They have to go to specific places and ask.
    Actually a lot of them are parents bring kids and seeking asylum- turning themselves in at a border check point- not sneaking across. They used to either send the kids to family in the country (if they had somebody) or let the parent out on "parole" awaiting their asylum hearing rather than putting both in separate jails where US taxpayers have to cover their incarceration and expenses.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...parents-border

The Trump administration needs to find space to temporarily house migrant children — including the hundreds of children a week being separated from their parents at the border. It’s reportedly considering building a “tent city” on a Texas military base to do it.

The Department of Health and Human Services, which is responsible for taking care of “unaccompanied alien children” — a label that’s also applied to children separated from their parents under the Trump administration’s current “zero tolerance” policy — already has 11,000 immigrants under the age of 18 in its custody who haven’t yet been placed with relatives or other sponsors. Most of those are immigrants, usually teenagers, who came without their parents to the US. But a substantial fraction is children, often very young ones, who were taken from their parents at the border. HHS doesn’t have much more room to take immigrant kids — it’s at 95 percent capacity.
    It’s more expensive to keep parents in detention while children are under HHS care (or placed with sponsors or fosters) than to keep both in one detention facility.
    Which is more humane? To take a child from her parent, keep her in a temporary “tent” for a few days or weeks, and then place her with a relative? Or to keep child and parent together, in detention, for months or years?

Most of the administration’s critics would probably answer that the only humane option is to release the whole family together and find another way to monitor their cases to make sure they show up for their court dates.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-how-many-kids

The AP acquired internal Department of Homeland Security data on the program, covering the period of April 19 to May 31. Over that time span, 1,995 children were taken from their migrant parents at the border. That’s an average of roughly 48 kids separated from their families per day, often sent into foster homes or held in detention centers.
    One Honduran man, Marco Antonio Muñoz, killed himself in his detention cell after Border Patrol agents took his 3-year-old son. According to CNN, Border Patrol agents ripped a woman’s infant daughter from her arms literally while she was breastfeeding. The New York Times reported a heartbreaking story of how one child, referred to only as José, dealt with being separated from his parents and placed in foster care.

“For two days, he didn’t shower, he didn’t change his clothes. I literally had to peel the socks off his feet. They were so old and smelly,” Janice, the name the Times uses refers to José’s foster mother, said. “I realized that he didn’t want anyone to take anything away from him.”
    Then there is the psychological impact on the kids. Some may turn into gang members like Trump's feared MS13.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-15-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Why don't they ask for "asylum" in Mexico? We all know why, $$$$
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Actually a lot of them are parents bring kids and seeking asylum- turning themselves in at a border check point- not sneaking across. They used to either send the kids to family in the country (if they had somebody) or let the parent out on "parole" awaiting their asylum hearing rather than putting both in separate jails where US taxpayers have to cover their incarceration and expenses.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...parents-border

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-how-many-kids

Then there is the psychological impact on the kids. Some may turn into gang members like Trump's feared MS13.
    In 2010, Joshua Wilkerson was beaten, strangled, tortured until he died, tied up, thrown in a field and set on fire. His killer was brought here illegally by his illegal parents when he was 10 years old, a "dreamer". In his own words "his killing skills took over".
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

They could be allowed in, like millions before, who then march in the streets, demand compensations of all sorts, call me a devil, and demand my "disenfranchisement" or outright extermination.

$#@! off back to wherever you came from, country's full.

I do not care anymore.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump is literally ripping babies from incubators and throwing them on the ground. Bernie told me so...

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/statu...29962529406976
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Trump is literally ripping babies from incubators and throwing them on the ground. Bernie told me so...
    This clown should be arrested.

American parents can't leave their children alone for a single second without being accused of abuse. Mexican parents can drag their kids across a hot desert, knowing what they are doing is illegal, and that's not abuse?
    Zippy represents the faction of people who cheer loudly every time CPS rips a family apart.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Related: They're too busy doing INTERNAL roadblocks.

There was a government report a few years ago that concluded that internal border patrol roadblocks are ineffective. They concluded that roadblocks at the actual border always work better. I summarized and commented on that report. My comment is below.
    Internal roadblocks are a waste of money and destructive of citizen's rights.

Checking job sites where worker eligibility fraud has been reported is far more effective, and less costly.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    They could be allowed in, like millions before, who then march in the streets, demand compensations of all sorts, call me a devil, and demand my "disenfranchisement" or outright extermination.

$#@! off back to wherever you came from, country's full.

I do not care anymore.
    Yes. The immigrants don't actually care, or else they would stay the hell home. Why would they ask for asylum from a place who treats them so disrespectfully?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Internal roadblocks are a waste of money and destructive of citizen's rights.

Checking job sites where worker eligibility fraud has been reported is far more effective, and less costly.
    Local governments are obviously unaware of any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Zippy represents the faction of people who cheer loudly every time CPS rips a family apart.
    Zippy represents the faction of people who think the requirement to become a US citizen should be being able to fog a mirror.

88% of all Missing Children had at one point been in the U.S. Foster Care System

<span style="caret-color: rgb(17, 17, 17); color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: Roboto, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; white-space: pre-wrap;">
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So Zippy wants all the children to be detained along with their parents? Way to go, Zippy. You want all the little children to go to jail.
    #NashvilleStrong

So Zippy wants all the children to be detained along with their parents? Way to go, Zippy. You want all the little children to go to jail.
    That's where Zippy works.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

The immorality is on the part of the Mexican government. They have been corrupt my whole lifetime. Their people are the ones who death march their kids across the hot desert without food or water. It's obscene.
    #NashvilleStrong

The immorality is on the part of the Mexican government. They have been corrupt my whole lifetime. Their people are the ones who death march their kids across the hot desert without food or water. It's obscene.
    Trump should talk to Nieto to end this $#@!. Might be cheaper than paying for the wall.

I can't believe people put their children through such abuse. Nobody ever thinks of that. American kids aren't even allowed to be exposed to feelings they don't like, but it's perfectly fine to make Mexican toddlers walk across deserts with no water or food.

Where are you now, Zippy? Did this ever occur to you? Do you sleep well at night? Why are you not down there handing out water?
    #NashvilleStrong

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast