Thread: Theresa May left speechless after being asked if Trump should negotiate Brexit on her behalf

Theresa May left speechless after being asked if Trump should negotiate Brexit on her behalf

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump hasn't negotiated a single treaty with anybody yet. I don't know why she would want his help on anything.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-15-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Trump hasn't negotiated a single treaty with anybody yet. I don't know why she would want his help on anything.
    He hasn't completed one yet (but he is making good progress) and he is still doing a better job than May, she ought to ask for his help.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He hasn't completed one yet (but he is making good progress) and he is still doing a better job than May, she ought to ask for his help.
    And they say Brits have no sense of humour.

The Dream Team

We should help our UK ally out, by sending John Bolton and his presidential grade aides over there.

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

With what? Tariffs aren't treaties. From just two weeks ago:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/b...483529651.html

NAFTA Talks Stalled, Trump Launches Probe Into Auto Imports, Possible Tariffs

The Trump administration on Wednesday launched an investigation into whether tariffs are needed on the imports of automobiles into the United States, moving swiftly as talks over the North American Free Trade Agreement have stalled. President Donald Trump predicted earlier that U.S. automakers and auto workers would be "very happy" with the outcome of the NAFTA talks.

The White House said in a statement that the president had asked Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to consider whether the imports of automobiles, including trucks, and automotive parts threaten U.S. national security. The president said in the statement that "core industries such as automobiles and automotive parts are critical to our strength as a Nation."

The U.S. remains far apart on the talks over rewriting the trade pact with Canada and Mexico, with the discussions at an impasse over rules for car production. The initiation of the trade investigation could be seen as an attempt to gain leverage in the talks with the two U.S. neighbors. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has said that efforts to renegotiate the trade agreement could spill into next year.
    More at link.

With what? Tariffs aren't treaties. From just two weeks ago:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/b...483529651.html

More at link.
    N. Korea

P.S. standing up to our "allies" on trade is the first step to making a good deal with them, NAFTA may fall apart (and that is a good thing) but he will make a better deal with each of them in the end.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

N. Korea

P.S. standing up to our "allies" on trade is the first step to making a good deal with them, NAFTA may fall apart (and that is a good thing) but he will make a better deal with each of them in the end.
    North Korea piece of paper was an acknowledgement that they met. It is extremely far from being a treaty. Both insist the other should make the first move. Korea still says the US must reduce sanctions before they do anything- Trump says Korea must completely disarm before any sanctions are eased. There is not even any agreement on what "denuclearize" means.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-15-2018 at 08:08 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    North Korea piece of paper was an acknowledgement that they met. It is extremely far from being a treaty. Korea still says the US must reduce sanctions before they do anything- Trump says Korea must completely disarm before any sanctions are eased. There is not even any agreement on what "denuclearize" means.
    Why don't you analyze the IG report at this level?

North Korea piece of paper was an acknowledgement that they met. It is extremely far from being a treaty. Both insist the other should make the first move. Korea still says the US must reduce sanctions before they do anything- Trump says Korea must completely disarm before any sanctions are eased. There is not even any agreement on what "denuclearize" means.
    I said he was making good progress not that it was a done deal.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I said he was making good progress not that it was a done deal.
    Baby steps. Trump's Secretary of State said it could take until the end of Trump's term or longer. He hopes. The two sides haven't even set any date for further negotiations. http://thehill.com/policy/internatio...nuclearization
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-15-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Baby steps. Trump's Secretary of State said it could take until the end of Trump's term or longer.
    He needs to milk this cow for a while. The Dems still fight for equal rights.

Baby steps. Trump's Secretary of State said it could take until the end of Trump's term or longer. He hopes. The two sides haven't even set any date for further negotiations. http://thehill.com/policy/internatio...nuclearization
    U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday he had given Kim Jong Un a direct phone number and suggested he might call the North Korean leader on Sunday, following their summit in Singapore this week.

More at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...Politics+News)

We went from Starting a war to making progress towards a deal, that's more than baby steps.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday he had given Kim Jong Un a direct phone number and suggested he might call the North Korean leader on Sunday, following their summit in Singapore this week.

More at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...Politics+News)

We went from Starting a war to making progress towards a deal, that's more than baby steps.
    Not enough for a result oriented person like Zippy. You might not remember but he was always holding Obama's feet to the fire on most of the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Not enough for a result oriented person like Zippy. You might not remember but he was always holding Obama's feet to the fire on most of the issues.
    Trump told us he was the Great Negotiator. Wrote a whole book on the subject. Why can't he close the deal on anything?

Maybe he was sarcastic about that when he said it.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-17-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Trump told us he was the Great Negotiator. Wrote a whole book on the subject. Why can't he close the deal on anything?

Maybe he was sarcastic about that when he said it.
    Good deals can take time, anyone can make a bad deal in a hurry.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Treaties that are written by the deep state and handed down to leaders controlled by the deep state are a lot easier to negotiate.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Treaties that are written by the deep state and handed down to leaders controlled by the deep state are a lot easier to negotiate.
    Like NAFTA which is stalled? Negotiations tend to go better when you show you are willing to work with the other side to solve problems given and take. Threats make them more defensive and less likely to be flexible and work with you. "My way or the highway!"
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Like NAFTA which is stalled? Negotiations tend to go better when you show you are willing to work with the other side to solve problems given and take. Threats make them more defensive and less likely to be flexible and work with you. "My way or the highway!"
    What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?
    NAFTA. Trump. Treaties. Tariff wars. Stuff from the news. What would you like to talk about?

NAFTA. Trump. Treaties. Tariff wars. Stuff from the news. What would you like to talk about?
    You are all over the place. Did we get somebody from the B team today?

You are all over the place. Did we get somebody from the B team today?
    Maybe a bit simpler for you. NAFTA is going nowhere due to Trump actions- his tariff threats. "Give me what I want or else". So they said, OK, if that is how you want to play it fine. We were willing to work things out but you aren't giving us anything but grief. Stop talking and add our own tariffs in response to yours. His "skills at negotiating" are hurting the negotiations.

Maybe a bit simpler for you. NAFTA is going nowhere due to Trump actions- his tariff threats. "Give me what I want or else". So they said, OK, if that is how you want to play it fine. Stop talking and add our own tariffs in response to yours. His "skills at negotiating" are hurting the negotiations.
    So how did the NAFTA negotiations go the last time around during slick willie years? Did we just roll over to make you happy?

Maybe a bit simpler for you. NAFTA is going nowhere due to Trump actions- his tariff threats. "Give me what I want or else". So they said, OK, if that is how you want to play it fine. We were willing to work things out but you aren't giving us anything but grief. Stop talking and add our own tariffs in response to yours. His "skills at negotiating" are hurting the negotiations.
    Nope, they are getting us a better deal, even if that better deal ends up being no deal we will be better off than with the old bad deal.
    They will come to terms eventually after they accept that America isn't a patsy anymore, right now they think they can bluff us into staying their patsy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So how did the NAFTA negotiations go the last time around during slick willie years? Did we just roll over to make you happy?
    Negotiations were under Republican leadership. Clinton's role was to sign it after HW Bush finalized it and Congress approved it. He was not part of the negotiations. They were done by that time.

Some history:

https://www.thebalance.com/history-of-nafta-3306272

The impetus for NAFTA began with President Ronald Reagan, who proposed a North American common market in his campaign.

In 1984, Congress passed the Trade and Tariff Act. That gave the president "fast-track" authority to negotiate free trade agreements. It removes Congressional authority to change negotiating points. Instead, it allows Congress only the ability to approve or disapprove the entire agreement. That makes negotiation much easier for the administration. Trade partners don't have to worry that Congress will nitpick specific elements.

Canadian Prime Minister Mulroney agreed with Reagan to begin negotiations for the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement. It was signed 1988 and went into effect 1989. NAFTA has now replaced it. (Source: "NAFTA Timeline," NaFina.)

Regan’s successor, President H.W. Bush, began negotiations with Mexican President Salinas for a liberalized trade agreement between the two countries. Before NAFTA, Mexican tariffs on U.S. imports were 250 percent higher than U.S. tariffs on Mexican imports.

In 1991, Canada requested a trilateral agreement, which then led to NAFTA. In 1993, concerns about the liberalization of labor and environmental regulations led to the adoption of two addendums.

In 1992, NAFTA was signed by President George H.W. Bush, Mexican President Salinas and Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney.

It was ratified by the legislatures of the three countries in 1993. The U.S. House of Representatives approved it by 234 to 200 on November 17, 1993. The U.S. Senate approved it by 60 to 38 on November 20, three days later.

President Bill Clinton signed it into law December 8, 1993.
    It entered force January 1, 1994. It was a priority of President Clinton's, and its passage is considered one of his first successes. (Source: "NAFTA Signed Into Law," History.com, December 8, 1993.)

What Is Its Purpose?

Article 102 of the NAFTA agreement outlines its purpose. There are seven specific goals.

Grant the signatories most favored nation status.
    Eliminate barriers to trade and facilitate the cross-border movement of goods and services.
    Promote conditions of fair competition.
    Increase investment opportunities.
    Provide protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights.
    Create procedures for the resolution of trade disputes.
    Establish a framework for further trilateral, regional, and multilateral cooperation to expand the trade agreement's benefits. (Source: "FAQ," NAFTA Secretariat.)

Has It Fulfilled Its Purpose?

NAFTA fulfilled all seven of its goals. That's made it the world’s largest free trade area in terms of gross domestic product.

Most important, it increased the competitiveness of the three countries in the global marketplace. This has become critical since the launch of the European Union. It's helped overcome the economic growth of China and the rise of other emerging market countries. In 2007, the EU replaced the United States as the world's largest economy. In 2015, China replaced both and took the top spot.

The 2016 Presidential Campaign
    Donald Trump promised to renegotiate NAFTA to get a better deal for U.S. workers. He wants Mexico to eliminate the VAT tax on U.S. exports to Mexico. He also wants Mexico to end its maquiladora program. If Mexico and Canada don't agree, he would withdraw from NAFTA. He also threatened to impose a 35 percent tariff on Mexican imports. Here's What Happens If Trump Dumps NAFTA.

The 2008 Presidential Campaign
    NAFTA was attacked from all sides during the 2008 presidential campaign.

Barack Obama blamed it for growing unemployment. He said it helped businesses at the expense of workers in the United States. It also did not provide enough protection against exploitation of workers and the environment along the border in Mexico.

Hillary Clinton included the trade agreement in her pledge to strictly enforce all existing trade agreements, as well as halt any new ones. Both candidates promised to either amend or back out of the agreement altogether. Obama didn't do anything about these campaign promises when he was president.

In 2008, Republican candidate Ron Paul said he would abolish the trade agreement. He said it was responsible for a "superhighway" and compared it to the European Union. But unlike the EU, NAFTA does not enforce a single currency among its signatories. Paul maintained this position in his 2012 campaign.

Republican nominee John McCain supported NAFTA, as he did all free trade agreements. In fact, he wanted to enforce an existing section within it that promised to open up the United States to the Mexican trucking industry.

Ross Perot
    Despite NAFTA's benefits, it has remained highly controversial. Its disadvantages are usually pointed out during presidential campaigns. In 1992, before the trade agreement was even ratified, Independent presidential candidate Ross Perot famously warned, "You're going to hear a giant sucking sound of jobs being pulled out of this country." Ross predicted that the United States would lose 5 million jobs to lower-cost Mexican workers. That would be a whopping 4 percent of total U.S. employment.

Perot’s prediction never happened. Mexico entered a recession and the United States entered a period of prosperity. True, American workers were displaced by low-cost Mexican imports. But research showed it was more like 2,000 per month. Find out more about NAFTA Pros and Cons. (Source: "Jobs and NAFTA," Brad DeLong.)
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-17-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Negotiations were under Republican leadership. Clinton's role was to sign it after HW Bush finalized it and Congress approved it. He was not part of the negotiations. They were done by that time.

Some history:

https://www.thebalance.com/history-of-nafta-3306272
    Shrub and Klinton are good buddies and part of the same gang.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment