Thread: One in three Americans take meds with depressive side effects

One in three Americans take meds with depressive side effects

One third of Americans are taking prescription and over-the-counter drugs, such as birth control pills, antacids and common heart medications, that may raise the risk of depression, researchers warned on Tuesday.Since the drugs are so common, people may be unaware of their potential depressive effects, said the report in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).
    "Many may be surprised to learn that their medications, despite having nothing to do with mood or anxiety or any other condition normally associated with depression, can increase their risk of experiencing depressive symptoms, and may lead to a depression diagnosis," said lead author Dima Qato, assistant professor of pharmacy systems, outcomes and policy at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
    The report was released one week after US health authorities said suicides have risen 30 percent in the past two decades, with about half of suicides among people who were not known to suffer from mental illness.
    For the current study, researchers found that the risk of depression was highest among people who were taking more than one drug with depression as a possible side effect.
    "Approximately 15 percent of adults who simultaneously used three or more of these medications experienced depression while taking the drugs, compared with just five percent for those not using any of the drugs, (and) seven percent for those using one medication," said the study.
    Anti-depressants are the only drug class that carries an explicit warning -- called a black box warning -- of suicide risk.
    For other common medications -- like blood pressure lowering pills, antacids known as proton pump inhibitors, painkillers and hormonal contraceptives -- the warnings are harder to find or simply don't exist in the packaging.
    "Product labeling for over-the-counter medications does not include comprehensive information on adverse effects including depression," said the report.
    "Many patients may therefore not be aware of the greater likelihood of concurrent depression associated with these commonly used medications."

Researchers found that more than 200 commonly used prescription drugs have depression or suicidal symptoms listed as potential side effects.
    Use of prescription drugs with suicidal thoughts listed as a potential adverse effect increased from 17 percent in 2005 to 24 percent a decade later, the study said.
    For drugs with depression as a possible side effect, use increased from 35 percent in 2005 to 38 percent in the 2013 to 2014 period.
    "Use of antacids with potential depression adverse effects, like proton pump inhibitors and H2 antagonists, increased from five percent to 10 percent in the same period," said the study.
    "Use of three or more drugs concurrently increased from seven percent to 10 percent."

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/one-three...163936830.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Approximately 15 percent of adults who simultaneously used three or more of these medications experienced depression while taking the drugs,
    Of course, if you are taking multiple medications your health may not be the greatest and that may make you a bit more depressed than healthy people.

From the article:

Researchers cautioned that the survey approach meant conclusions could not be drawn about cause-and-effect, and that questionnaires did not account for a history of depression.
    So let's look at some numbers. Abstract of the study: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2684607

So 37.2% of the survey population is taking at least one. The problem seems to be in those taking three or more. The abstract reports 6.9% were using this amount and of that group, 15% reportedly were depressed.

26 192 in the study so 6.9% leaves 1,807 taking three or more. 15% of them had some form of depression. 271 or about one percent of the study.

4.7% of those not taking any of the medications looked at also reported depression. It does not say in the abstract what the rate of depression was in people just using one or even two of the medications.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-13-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Of course, if you are taking multiple medications your health may not be the greatest and that may make you a bit more depressed than healthy people.
    People without restless leg syndrome?

If Ben & Jerry (yes, ice cream) had their greatest dream, everyone would buy Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. Thats business. If the people of Big Pharma had their dream, they would have everyone on as many medications as possible. Again, thats business.

Depression is often talked about as if it were the disease itself and not as a symptom of other conditions. What many articles fail to ever discuss is the other contributing factors that lead to a result of depression. Instead, they blame Depression itself. Why are these people becoming so depressed? Sounds similar to another recent thread asking why suicide rates have gone up 30%, and in that thread, the medications are never evaluated as a contributing factor in that threads original article. Topic is still the same. Meds are a contributing factor, but so is every other tiny detail in the lives of the depressed. Even the loss of a beloved family pet can trigger a bout of depression, to which, Big Pharma will claim to have the panacea cure with its magic pills. As a society, we blame the victims of depression for causing their own symptoms instead of looking at ANY of the contributing factors. Socio Political and Economics, oppressive govt, MSM constant threat of everything from everywhere, etc. We also dont examine our selves in how we contribute.

Do we spend any time reaching out to the people that are depressed, or do we do like most other people have already done and convince ourselves that depression is caused solely by the depressed, as if they deserve it? If you are depressed, you need to reach out. What depression does is mutes the ability of the depressed to reach out. So telling them to "try harder" is one way of telling the depressed that they are not handling their depression right, when really it is us that needs to be the ones to reach out to them, stop blaming the victims, stop relying on MSM and Big Pharma to fix everything for us, stop treating depression as the cause and view it as the effect of other things, stop ignoring our own involvement in their situation, and maybe, just maybe START helping people by going after the causes of their depression.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    If Ben & Jerry (yes, ice cream) had their greatest dream, everyone would buy Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. Thats business. If the people of Big Pharma had their dream, they would have everyone on as many medications as possible. Again, thats business.

Depression is often talked about as if it were the disease itself and not as a symptom of other conditions. What many articles fail to ever discuss is the other contributing factors that lead to a result of depression. Instead, they blame Depression itself. Why are these people becoming so depressed? Sounds similar to another recent thread asking why suicide rates have gone up 30%, and in that thread, the medications are never evaluated as a contributing factor in that threads original article. Topic is still the same. Meds are a contributing factor, but so is every other tiny detail in the lives of the depressed. Even the loss of a beloved family pet can trigger a bout of depression, to which, Big Pharma will claim to have the panacea cure with its magic pills. As a society, we blame the victims of depression for causing their own symptoms instead of looking at ANY of the contributing factors. Socio Political and Economics, oppressive govt, MSM constant threat of everything from everywhere, etc. We also dont examine our selves in how we contribute.

Do we spend any time reaching out to the people that are depressed, or do we do like most other people have already done and convince ourselves that depression is caused solely by the depressed, as if they deserve it? If you are depressed, you need to reach out. What depression does is mutes the ability of the depressed to reach out. So telling them to "try harder" is one way of telling the depressed that they are not handling their depression right, when really it is us that needs to be the ones to reach out to them, stop blaming the victims, stop relying on MSM and Big Pharma to fix everything for us, stop treating depression as the cause and view it as the effect of other things, stop ignoring our own involvement in their situation, and maybe, just maybe START helping people by going after the causes of their depression.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DamianTV again.

I've been to the animal before, and I surfaced again. Drugs took me there. And not just Big-Pharma ones. Lack of, brought me out. I think everything is a little bit different for everyone when it comes to drugs. Drugs affect everyone differently. However,

pur·pose
    ˈpərpəs/Submit
    noun
    the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.

is the factor which affects every single individual. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DamianTV again.

I've been to the animal before, and I surfaced again. Drugs took me there. And not just Big-Pharma ones. Lack of, brought me out. I think everything is a little bit different for everyone when it comes to drugs. Drugs affect everyone differently. However,

pur·pose
    ˈpərpəs/Submit
    noun
    the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.

is the factor which affects every single individual. IMHO.
    It has hit me at times too, hard. The important thing is that there are times it hits like a ton of bricks and should be considered as Normal. Asking Big Pharma tho, they immediately want to put people on their drugs as the solution. There is Normal Depression and there is Abnormal Depression. Everyone gets Normal Depression. Such as occurs with Grief. And Grief is Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance. If the theory of Stages of Grief is correct, then these things occur normally and have triggers we will all experience. Family member dies, major life changes, etc. What I do not trust about Big Pharma is to take anyone when they experience Normal Depression and put them on drugs intended for Abnormal Depression because it makes them money.

But looking at other factors, simply look at the way our food is put together. No conspiracy as we do it to ourselves. We eat food, we get mood elevation spikes. When we combine certain types of foods with others, those spikes become high enough that they can trigger addictive behaviors. Salt, Sugar, and Fat typically trigger low spikes so we like those types of foods. But when we start mixing those three things together, we cause our own spikes in mood elevation. We put salad dressing on our salads, mix broccoli and cheese, put naturally occurring sugars on our meats with teriyaki sauce or ketchup on hamburgers, etc. We create our own combinations in our meals of Salt Sugar and Fat. In our society today, this is considered a normal behavior because we do need a balanced diet. But take a step back, we didnt have ready-made access to these types of foods two hundred years ago. Like our biology has not had time to catch up with the changes to our society. And Im not talking about chemically, GMO, or synthetic foods at all. This is normal real food, and what it also does to us. But we look at California who wants to now say coffee causes cancer, why dont they attack financial insecurity as causing depression with the same voracity as they do cancer? Warning: This product may cause mood elevation spikes which can contribute to depression.

When we start looking at the unintended consequences of our chemically foods, it gets even worse. High Fructose Corn Syrup for example is very high on the Glycemic Index. But its perfectly safe because of a set of criteria we evaluate the definition of "safe" by. Doesnt cause cancer and doesnt immediately kill you so it must be "safe" by those criteria. And food is just one of many many possible triggers out of thousands of depression.

Other factors that are often not mentioned are Cell Phone Addiction, where the triggers of mood elevation, which can lead later to states of depression after coming back down off the elevation high. Social Media, is another example, where things are literally designed to cause spikes in mood elevation. Instead of showing you that you have one Like on a post, that one like is delayed so you see 15 Likes at the same time, which increases the addictive properties in the way that Social Media is designed, literally to be addictive.

Other contributing problems are Normalizing Behaviors that also play a factor. Like drinking. The next time you watch a TV show, from online, over the air, DVR, where ever, try to COUNT the number of times you see people drinking. That is what I mean by Normalizing Behaviors that contribute.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Absolutely, every bit of what you have written. And I see it in myself. I'll go 14-20 days of working and finish it off with a full day off with Chinese, General Zo's take out, some pot and PBR's, and 12 hrs of a binge watching some criminal injustice series.
    That down time is not good for me, although it is "comforting." In the scheme of things it's not really all that bad. But, still. Time spent not doing something around the house. Just like the time I'm spending right now. So I'm gonna sign off and go outside until the sun goes down. At least.

I agree and understand. I think a big trick with dealing with it is a Healthy Balance. We experience high and low energy levels daily as normal cycles, so even sleep patterns are a way to "ride the waves" during those cycles. We all need some healthy down time as long as we dont cause that down time to be a severe crash from getting too much of a high.

As a metaphor, its like driving and accidents. What causes the most accidents is not speed, but the difference in average speed of traffic. One person is going 64 mph and everyone else is going 66, not likely to cause an accident, or a crash. But a person going 15 when everyone else is going 80 is very likely to cause a severe accident. So there is a normalization factor where our highs are high but not too high and our lows are low so we can rest and relax, but not too low.

Balance.
    1776 > 1984

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The bizarre thing is that antidepressants cause depression!

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    The following literature review concludes that most patients stop taking antidepressants (because it doesn’t help). For Prozac the dropout rate was 40 to 54%. Andrews et al - Blue again: perturbational effects of antidepressants... (2011): http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/...tOlJ16rddQY%3D

Prozac causes: suicidal and homicidal behaviour, impotence, anxiety, insomnia, akathisia, birth defects and withdrawal effects. The next study shows that long term antidepressants usage results in: Depression, Tardive Dyskinesia and Tardive Dysphoria. Any idea what psychopaths prescribe drugs that induce depression for depression? Mallakh et al – Tardive dysphoria: The role of long term antidepressant use... (2011): http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/...dqYCLNbqJQc%3D

The following literature review shows that even on short term antidepressants are not better than placebo (these studies were even manipulated by the pharmaceutical industry). Kirsch - Initial Severity and Antidepressant Benefits... (2008): http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicin...ed.0050045.PDF
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...lation-control
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

... Meds are a contributing factor, but so is every other tiny detail in the lives of the depressed. ...
    It's difficult sometimes to evaluate an issue beyond the confines of one's personal experience. I have never had any issue or problem with depression, so I used to not have a very good understanding of the issue.

But, thanks to my wife, over the last 20+ years, I have developed some 2nd and 3rd person experience with this issue, at least with respect to anti-seizure medications. These meds mess with brain function/chemistry. Some of them are stronger than others with respect to the side effects exacerbating depression or suicidal ideation. Some of them act as force multipliers - making mountains out of molehills if you will. But some of them, oh man, they can create mountains out of thin air. I've witnessed it.

Question: If depressants can trigger bouts of depression, what about Stimulants?

The higher you rise, the farther you fall. In the case of the depressive side effects of medications, they cause mood elevation to go down. What about the other side of it, and also avoiding conspiracy stuff. What about Caffeine? Coffee wears off and you get a crash. Take meth? Ugh. What happens after the high? You crash! Is it possible that the other side, the effects of stimulants, also contributes to depressive behavior?
    1776 > 1984

Question: If depressants can trigger bouts of depression, what about Stimulants?
    Do you mean hallucinatory drugs like amphetamines?
    The amphetamine-like Ritalin is highly addictive and has a range of (side) effects, including depression.
    It is well known that using amphetamines leads to extreme and aggressive (hyperactive) behaviour; because of Ritalin more people will suffer from attention disorders and hyperactivity. A list of (side) effects of Ritalin – aggression, psychosis, depression, bad results at school, stomach ache, headache, seizures, coma and insomnia: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/...ethsummary.pdf
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...lation-control

The real trick is that drugs cause mental diseases, for which (other) drugs are described that cause (more) mental disease.
    Before you know it psychiatric victims/patients are on a cocktail of drugs.
    That these drugs cause mental disease, is used to “prove” that the original diagnosis of a mental disorder was correct.

That these drugs have severe withdrawal effects is also used for an argument for psychiatric drugs (just see what happens without them!).
    The withdrawal effects are also used to manipulate medical trials, by using psychiatric victims/patients that were previously on (another) drug…
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

The bizarre thing is that antidepressants cause depression!

Not "Bizarre" at all,, if you think about it.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    It's difficult sometimes to evaluate an issue beyond the confines of one's personal experience. I have never had any issue or problem with depression, so I used to not have a very good understanding of the issue.

But, thanks to my wife, over the last 20+ years, I have developed some 2nd and 3rd person experience with this issue, at least with respect to anti-seizure medications. These meds mess with brain function/chemistry. Some of them are stronger than others with respect to the side effects exacerbating depression or suicidal ideation. Some of them act as force multipliers - making mountains out of molehills if you will. But some of them, oh man, they can create mountains out of thin air. I've witnessed it.
    I have had personal experience.. I have dealt with depression my whole life..
    I have dealt with it badly at times.

I used alcohol to drowned it. Fastest way to the bottom so I could bounce back up. A very dangerous form of therapy.

And I tried SSRIs once. And that goes into the category of worst drug experiences, from someone with drug experimentation history.

Current (and successful) medication is Cannabis. and with a side effect of chronic pain relief.

It keeps my chaotic mind calm,, and my damaged body mobile. Good Stuff.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Here's the full (?) list of Drugs that can cause suicidal symptoms or depression.
    https://www.theorganicprepper.com/20...g-one-of-them/