Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanford Loses SC Seat In Primary

Maybe Sanford's hipster son, Lamont, will run. I love them classic shows!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    That is complete and utter garbage. You are either a liar or an idiot. Well, you are an idiot, but this statement either comes from your obvious stupidity or dishonesty. You are incapable of salient commentary of any sort, I just wonder if you're a liar in addition to that fact. I have been exceedingly even-handed with Trump and I've posted about him far less than the vast majority of people who post here. You cannot find a single post from me "kissing his ass" or anything of the kind.
    Sorry to break your heart but this is my honest to God perception of you. The reverence you have for Trump and the movement that has arisen to follow him gives me that impression that you are a Trump ass kisser. So, I am being completely honest with myself here cos this is how I see you, it is the implicit vibe you exude that bring me to this conclusion. Also, your original post on this thread also didn't help with the matter. Correct me if I am wrong but I have yet to see any post of yours that is any thing but extremely favorable to Trump. Putting all of that together, it is how I came to my conclusion about u as a Trump asskisser.

What are you babbling about, fool? Who mentioned the Libertarian Part at all? I haven't said word one about them in this thread. The Republicans can't seem to get elected by going anti-Trump or anti-populist, but the LP can't get elected no matter what they do. They have nothing to do with this.
    The post was a reply to No_body's replying to your post where I mistakenly conflated the posts from you two. He mentioned libertarian party and you were talking about libertarian leaning republicans those are 2 different animals. My apologies for doing that, I should have reread your post before making that post.

Jeb Bush (supposedly) supported cutting taxes. That is not what this populist movement is about. This is across the Western world. It's about culture, immigration and identity. Going to people who clamor for these issues with tax cuts is doing it wrong, especially the way they sell it.
    Yes, tax cuts and spending increases are also populist policies. Yes its not a populist policy with an ethnic leaning but regardless, it is populist. Well, i should have known that your particular form of populism(anything for that matter) would be related to culture, identity etc. You might not think I know you, but I know quite a bit about you.

Funny thing is, I'm not even a populist. Populism is demotic in nature. I have no value for "the people" and their political will in principle. All I am doing is analyzing strategy and evaluating what works and what doesn't.
    Why are you telling me this? how does it relate to what I posted in that last paragraph?

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    His was a big one. It was a public one. There were a series of unexplained absences. He told his family he would be hiking the Appalachian Trail. Maybe that's what they call it in Argentina. He was charged with misuse of state funds to carry on his licentious behavior, because it turns out the woman in Argentina was not the first.

A congressman needs to be ethical and focused. We need people there who dial down the crazy.
    +rep

Everyone was attacking Trump for his "conservative cred", you idiot! Jeb Bush was trying to woo voters by talking about how Trump would raise taxes. It was a losing strategy because Trump tapped into something visceral, on the gut level of voters, something a libertarian candidate could do, but won't because they're incapable of internalizing effective strategy.
    Gonna say this, just because a strategy did not work doesn't mean the strategy is wrong. Maybe given the time, his personal, his personal experience, the mood of the country, the help from the media, he was the unbeatable candidate in the race? still doesn't dismiss the idea that attacking his credibility was a good strategy. I think Trump tapped in something emotional in people to the point they were more invested in him as a person than any thing he said about his policies. This is one place where I think libertarians can learn a thing or two from Trump. They need to stop being policy wonks and realize that the masses need more than anything a father figure, a leader, someone to inspire and give them hope. Trump did this better than anyone in the race and he was rewarded with the victory.

This is just incoherent nonsense. "The strategy was great! Trump was martyred by the people attacking him because of the media!" It's stupid and so are you. A strategy that loses is bad strategy and no one voted for Trump because other candidates were attacking him and he was thus a "martyr".
    It is not nonsense, wikileak showed the strategy of the elite was to push and promote Trump over all the other republican candidates and they did this via a non conventional, reverse psychology sort of way. Think, addition by subtraction and it worked. The people in large masses fell for him. Wrong again, a strategy that loses is not automatically a bad strategy, strategies are relative and the best strategy is the one that gives you the best chance to win regardless of whether it nets you the win.

I think your problem is that you underestimate your enemy, you see them as one dimensional idiots like the people who vote. They are not, they are experienced world conquerors who have different methods to trick the average voter into voting for one of their own whilst they believed they are voting against the establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Why are you telling me this? how does it relate to what I posted in that last paragraph?
    How does your psychoanalysis relate to anything?

I mean, I know libertarian are allergic to effective political strategy,
    You mean dishonesty..
    You are right.. most libertarians tend to be too Honest. Truth is rarely politically correct.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    You mean dishonesty..
    You are right.. most libertarians tend to be too Honest. Truth is rarely politically correct.
    The thng is this republicans lie in campaign all the time to win election, they pledge support for very populist policies only to renege on them once they get into office, why can't the libertarians do something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Sorry to break your heart but this is my honest to God perception of you. The reverence you have for Trump and the movement that has arisen to follow him gives me that impression that you are a Trump ass kisser. So, I am being completely honest with myself here cos this is how I see you, it is the implicit vibe you exude that bring me to this conclusion. Also, your original post on this thread also didn't help with the matter. Correct me if I am wrong but I have yet to see any post of yours that is any thing but extremely favorable to Trump. Putting all of that together, it is how I came to my conclusion about u as a Trump asskisser.
    Ah, so you're just a moron. Understood. I won't accuse an honest idiot like you of being a liar again! You sure set me to rights. By the way, you barely seem to be able to type in English. Just thought I'd make you aware.

Ah, it's an "implicit vibe". Gotcha. Such incredible deduction. Do you read tea leaves or do a voodoo dance? Again, name one post I have made that is overly laudatory or unrealistically pro-Trump. You won't. You can't. The truth is I've posted about the man far less than most, both on RPF and all other social media. After Rand dropped out, the banalities of the political system didn't interest me enough to comment. I'm interested in the metapolitical and statecraft, not gutter politics.

The post was a reply to No_body's replying to your post where I mistakenly conflated the posts from you two. He mentioned libertarian party and you were talking about libertarian leaning republicans those are 2 different animals. My apologies for doing that, I should have reread your post before making that post.
    Unsurprising.

Yes, tax cuts and spending increases are also populist policies.
    They can be, yes, but they are not necessarily. Populism isn't just something that is popular, it's a particular way of appealing to the "common man". The way tax cuts are sold to the public is usually decidedly non-populist, including Rand.

Yes its not a populist policy with an ethnic leaning but regardless, it is populist.
    No one is talking about ethnic cleansing, you buffoon.

Well, i should have known that your particular form of populism(anything for that matter) would be related to culture, identity etc.
    It's not my form of populism. It's a manifest populist movement sweeping the Western world. The meta-movement that elected Trump, voted for Brexit, made Marine le Pen come in second, made right-wing parties in Germany and Sweden among their most popular and is currently revolutionizing modern Italy. It has nothing to do with me. It's a huge wave that libertarians will either learn to ride or be swept aside. I know which one it looks like so far.

You might not think I know you, but I know quite a bit about you.
    No you don't. I doubt you could articulate anything I believe about statecraft with any cogency.

You were talking about people who compromise their principles for populism. I was stating that I am not even a populist.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin;6640129 Its one thing if Sanford criticized him not signing the TPP. So I wouldn't really consider this going against his populist trade policies..

Immigration and spending bill on the wall are one issue here and this is what Sanford has said about it.

[URL
    http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/community/beaufort-news/article136327343.html[/URL]
    1. Here you go. Here he is criticizing withdrawal from TPP. First answer. Second paragraph https://www.weeklystandard.com/haley...with-stupidity

2. He was one of five Republicans to vote against funding for the wall regardless of what he said. Sanford has sensible immigration views similar to Ron Paul's. There is nothing that will please left wing immigration groups. They only want Democratic voters.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 06-13-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Ah, so you're just a moron. Understood. I won't accuse an honest idiot like you of being a liar again! You sure set me to rights. By the way, you barely seem to be able to type in English. Just thought I'd make you aware.
    Moron? I understand how what I said hurts your feelings but if it makes you feel any better, my criticism came from the heart. Also, I don't hold it against you that you support Trump. Loads of good, intelligent people fell for his con. And yes, I know my writing skills aren't the best, my sentence structure/syntax, grammar, spelling could all use some improvement and it is something I have always struggled with. Also, I can't proofread to save my life. You really don't have to tell me about it, I am well aware of it and I work on it every single day of my life. And no, I won't make the excuse that it's because English is my second language, I know loads of people who did not speak English at all before they arriving to the states who have better command of the English language than me.

Ah, it's an "implicit vibe". Gotcha. Such incredible deduction. Do you read tea leaves or do a voodoo dance? Again, name one post I have made that is overly laudatory or unrealistically pro-Trump. You won't. You can't. The truth is I've posted about the man far less than most, both on RPF and all other social media. After Rand dropped out, the banalities of the political system didn't interest me enough to comment. I'm interested in the metapolitical and statecraft, not gutter politics.
    Its the vibe I get from reading your many posts of RPF, deal with it.

They can be, yes, but they are not necessarily. Populism isn't just something that is popular, it's a particular way of appealing to the "common man". The way tax cuts are sold to the public is usually decidedly non-populist, including Rand.
    Lets just agree to disagree here cos I think tax cuts, spending increase etc appeal to the common man too. I think what you are trying to say here is that Trump introduced new populist policies to the campaign like immigration and border wall security. That I can agree with you on.

No one is talking about ethnic cleansing, you buffoon.
    Calm down man, I wasn't talking about ethnic cleansing either. Why would you think that is what I was thinking in my post? That wasn't a typo, I actually meant to say ethnic leaning not ethnic cleansing.

It's not my form of populism. It's a manifest populist movement sweeping the Western world. The meta-movement that elected Trump, voted for Brexit, made Marine le Pen come in second, made right-wing parties in Germany and Sweden among their most popular and is currently revolutionizing modern Italy. It has nothing to do with me. It's a huge wave that libertarians will either learn to ride or be swept aside. I know which one it looks like so far.
    I don't disagree with u here, my point is that those aren't the only form of populism in our politics.

No you don't. I doubt you could articulate anything I believe about statecraft with any cogency.
    I know enough about you in the area that matter to me. Your opinion on statecraft is one area I don't particularly care about. Also, I qualified my statement with the word "quite" which must mean something different to me than it means to you

You were talking about people who compromise their principles for populism. I was stating that I am not even a populist.
    I was talking about libertarian leaning republicans and you are a paleo libertarian, so at least even you can understand why I was perplexed by your reply to that paragraph. I don't care if you as a person is populist or not, you are not a politician.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can somebody enlighten me what the purpose of juleswin posting here is?

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    1. Here you go. Here he is criticizing withdrawal from TPP. First answer. Second paragraph https://www.weeklystandard.com/haley...with-stupidity

2. He was one of five Republicans to vote against funding for the wall regardless of what he said. Sanford has sensible immigration views similar to Ron Paul's. There is nothing that will please left wing immigration groups. They only want Democratic voters.
    Thanks for pointing that out, I must have missed the one. I did a google search of Sanford + some of populist Trump policies got nothing for the policies I used. Also on the immigration bit, I think he still supports Trump's policies with opposition coming from ways to pay for it.

Could this have harmed him with his base? yes. I guess you were right all along

His was a big one. It was a public one. There were a series of unexplained absences. He told his family he would be hiking the Appalachian Trail. Maybe that's what they call it in Argentina. He was charged with misuse of state funds to carry on his licentious behavior, because it turns out the woman in Argentina was not the first.

A congressman needs to be ethical and focused. We need people there who dial down the crazy.
    You don't see the irony of Trump calling Sanford out over his infidelities though? Honestly I was always somewhat relieved that I didn't need to hold my nose and vote for Sanford, but I would have.

We were better off with him than we will be without him.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You don't see the irony of Trump calling Sanford out over his infidelities though? Honestly I was always somewhat relieved that I didn't need to hold my nose and vote for Sanford, but I would have.

We were better off with him than we will be without him.
    Sanford did it while in office and lied to his constituents about it. I remember when it happened, his behavior was absolutely indefensible.

Trump's infidelities were in his capacity as a private citizen, and no one alleges that they continue while in office.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Can somebody enlighten me what the purpose of juleswin posting here is?
    One of the owners is on record as saying that the trolls are good for their bottom line. Sadly that seemed to come at the expense of being a political activism forum.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Sanford did it while in office and lied to his constituents about it. I remember when it happened, his behavior was absolutely indefensible.

I agree. If you are bored, dig back through the old threads and you'll see that I was pretty unforgiving about the betrayal.

This will get lost in the Trump noise, but Sanford predicted he was going to lose before Trump tweeted.

For libertarian-leaning candidates, running against Trump is NOT a winning strategy. It didn't work for Rand during the primaries, it didn't work for this guy and it won't work for anyone else. A far better strategy is to try to sell libertarian ideas under a populist banner to try and ride the wave. Populism is big, left and right, throughout the Western world. Libertarians with political ambitions either need to use this fact to their advantage or realize they'll be neutered politically.
    This is absolutely correct. And I am not a huge Trump fan. But it is a political reality.

Rand and Massie's current strategy are gaining some results.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    You mean dishonesty..
    Here is some honesty; Sanford should have worked with a speech therapist years ago to eliminate that lisp of his. I could never stand listening to him for more than a minute just because it was grating.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, just what we need--more sexual shenanigans in the Senate. Sanford is a philanderer. Dude neglected the affairs of the state of South Carolina to be with some Argentine broadcaster. Sanford is why you now have Nikki Haley taking down the Confederate flag and moving on to UN Ambassador. Who actually did a lot of the negotiating in the run up to the US/DPRK summit.
    Sanford is in theHouse, not the Senate. And I don't know that you can blame him for Haley...

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    I just saw that woman's picture... holy $#@!ing $#@! on a pogo stick, that woman is ugly. Sanford must have screwed this up royally to get beat by that. Hell, you could win an election just by printing her name on a picture of her face and distributing it everywhere. DAYUM THAT UGLY ugly. I know they say politics is acting for ugly people, but they didn't mean THAT ugly. That's break the lens ugly. You really gotta $#@! up to lose to ugly on that level.
    I've seen worse at Danke's Home for Wayward Women.

I miswrote. I had it right in another post.

Haley was the one who took over as governor when Sanford left office. Haley was hand picked by Sanford for the office. It makes it all the more important that Sanford not be in the House where his main job is spending money. He spent state money on himself in SC.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Kind of a sad thing, I guess, but don't poke the bear is the lesson here.

Sanford did it to himself. No one probably remembers the following thread:

Sanford: ‘I’m a Dead Man Walking’

My comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I saw that when it came out. I am not sure if this article is a good thing. Seems like a way to undermine. Sanford is the point man in the House on Obamacare repeal and replace (Rand's version). Is this the right time for a public "FU" to Trump? Opposing ideas and nominations is one thing, but this will not win Trump's support for legislation.

Other than that, it also portrays Sanford as a disheveled, broken and desperate man, still publically obsessing about his affair.

Yeah, I'd have to say this one isn't positive.
    The intro to the article:

None of this feels normal. The congressman greets me inside his Washington office wearing a wrinkly collared shirt with its top two buttons undone, faded denim jeans and grungy, navy blue Crocs that expose his leather-textured feet. Nearing the end of our 30-minute interview, he cancels other appointments and extends our conversation by an hour. He repeatedly brings up his extramarital affair, unsolicited, pointing to the lessons learned and relationships lost. He acknowledges and embraces his own vulnerability—political, emotional and otherwise. He veers on and off the record, asking himself rhetorical questions, occasionally growing teary-eyed, and twice referring to our session as “my Catholic confessional.”

And then he does the strangest thing of all: He lays waste to the president of his own party.

Most Republicans in Washington are biting their tongues when it comes to Donald Trump, fearful that any candid criticisms of the new president could invite a backlash from their constituents or, potentially worse, provoke retribution from the commander in chief himself.

Mark Sanford is not like most Republicans in Washington.
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...profile-214791
    And who remembers Sanford's NY Times Op-Ed attacking Trump?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/o...x-returns.html
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

It makes it all the more important that Sanford not be in the House where his main job is spending money. He spent state money on himself in SC.

All of that stuff was brought up when he ran against Stephen Colbert's sister. He spent less on travel than any of his predecessors.

His being frugal personally and in office is the one thing he is most known for. He even turned down stimulus money. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...e24528985.html

Instead of making minimum wage or whatever a governor makes, they should have paid him $5-$10 million a year and made him governor for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Sanford did it to himself. No one probably remembers the following thread:

Sanford: ‘I’m a Dead Man Walking’

My comments:

The intro to the article:

And who remembers Sanford's NY Times Op-Ed attacking Trump?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/o...x-returns.html
    This is about this nicest thing a conservative could say, and the only reason a conservative could give for voting for Trump. He probably helped bring about Trumps victory by pushing this narrative and giving conservatives a reason to vote for a moderate like Trump.
    I am a conservative Republican who, though I have no stomach for his personal style and his penchant for regularly demeaning others, intends to support my party’s nominee because of the importance of filling the existing vacancy on the Supreme Court, and others that might open in the next four years.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    All of that stuff was brought up when he ran against Stephen Colbert's sister. He spent less on travel than any of his predecessors.

His being frugal personally and in office is the one thing he is most known for. He even turned down stimulus money. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...e24528985.html

Instead of making minimum wage or whatever a governor makes, they should have paid him $5-$10 million a year and made him governor for life.
    He was using state money to visit his mistress in Argentina. He was charged with like 37 separate violation. If he had controlled his hormones, he would still be married and would have finished out his term.

This is why I think people should hold office based on what they're good at. Sanford, hormones aside, was good as governor, but has not been so great in the House. Likewise, liberal Phil Bredesen (founder of HCA/former Nashville mayor and TN gov) has excellent executive abilities, but should not be running for Senate.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand shot himself in the foot by opening the first debate attacking Trump for not being a party-line Republican. His father's credibility came from not being party line. He blew all that.

It isn't that he attacked him, it's how and when. Whatever you think of him, Trump tapped into a very real and fruitful vein of support, mostly from people discontent with immigration and modern American culture. A whole host of Conservatism Inc. types started piling on and Rand looked like just another one of those. If you read my posts from that period, you'll see that I was fine with him attacking Trump, provided it was an effective strategy that helped the campaign. It wasn't. Rand's campaign was dysfunctional and ineffective

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    This is about this nicest thing a conservative could say, and the only reason a conservative could give for voting for Trump. He probably helped bring about Trumps victory by pushing this narrative and giving conservatives a reason to vote for a moderate like Trump.
    That statement would have been fine if he had left it at that. He didn't leave it at that though.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    Rand shot himself in the foot by opening the first debate attacking Trump for not being a party-line Republican. His father's credibility came from not being party line. He blew all that.
    Rand's strategy possibly has endeared him with some of the Trump supporters for giving him a chance. I think his strategy was good in hindsight. I don't think anyone would of been able to defeat million dollar attack ads against them the first day they announced, a crowded field that eats up any sort of campaign funding you can get to campaign to non traditional voters, and an opponent that gets billions of dollars in free advertising. I don't think a Rand Paul rally would of ever got played on CNN at primetime.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    Yeah, perhaps Rand's single biggest mistake. But it wouldn't had mattered anyway, Trump became inevitable very quickly. As a matter of fact, Rand has played it quite well since then.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast