Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Stamp Households Drop Below 20 Million for First Time Since 2010

Food Stamp Households Drop Below 20 Million for First Time Since 2010

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...me-since-2010/

11 Jun 2018

The number of households on food stamps has dipped below 20 million for the first time in eight years, according to the latest data released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
    The latest data from the USDA reveals that the number of households on food stamps in February 2018 dropped to 19,992,124—the first time it fell below 20 million since September 2010, when 19,979,385 households were enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

The USDA notes that not only is the number of households receiving food stamps at a record low level, but the number of people enrolled in food stamps has also gone down. From January to February of this year alone, overall food stamp enrollment dropped from 40,640,170 to 40,032,131.

The downward trend in enrollment has only continued over President Trump’s first year in office, keeping on pace with the stable decline in SNAP participation since 2013.

Under Trump, 2.2 million fewer people have discontinued their participation in SNAP, mainly due to the Trump administration’s attempts to reform the food stamp program by keeping the program’s cost down at the state and federal levels.

The USDA announced in March that it hired an “integrity officer” to bolster the administration’s efforts to prevent fraud in the country’s SNAP program and announced in February the rollout of its “Harvest Box” program to give food stamp recipients a box of food as part of their monthly benefits package.

Although the Trump administration is making it a priority to require food stamp recipients to work to receive benefits, the Senate version of the 2018 Farm Bill released Friday does not include the work requirements sought out by the Trump administration and the House Agriculture Committee.

The House’s version of the bill includes a provision that would require most adults ages 18 to 59 who enroll in food stamps to work, receive job training, or look for work under a case manager’s supervision.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fakertarian Trump haters please form a line beyond this post.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Fakertarian Trump haters please form a line beyond this post.
    Noting that this is continuation of a trend which started five years ago.

loveshiscountry

Still 50 percent higher than before the crash while population has grown 8-9 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Its usually at this point in the discussion where u post a graph illustrating the trend.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Its usually at this point in the discussion where u post a graph illustrating the trend.
    Sorry about that. Interesting that rural food stamp usage is as high as in the cities.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-12-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Sorry about that.

Given that the report is not in "percent of households", why don't you try coming up with a relevant graph.

2.2 million off the rolls in 18 months. How many millions came off the rolls from 2012-2016?

Sorry about that.

It seems like they have been trending down since their height in 2013. My graph shows number of individuals instead of households but still the same info. All started trending down at around 2013.

Does he deserve credit for it? Kinda, it happened under his watch plus he could have reversed whatever the last admin started like he did with the Iran deal. So yea, he gets credit for staying out of the way and allowing the inevitable to happen

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Given that the report is not in "percent of households", why don't you try coming up with a relevant graph.

2.2 million off the rolls in 18 months. How many millions came off the rolls from 2012-2016?

Data being from Feb means another 2.2 mil came off in a single year, significantly better than the trend.

MAGA does not happen overnight. One must nurture it, keep it well-hydrated and pruned. Talk to it... play soft music for it, and rewarded you will be.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

We are not in the office. Oooops!

Data being from Feb means another 2.2 mil came off in a single year, significantly better than the trend.
    With trump we had 2.2 m in 18 months, now look at Zippy's chart and trace up the rate from Jan 2015 to Jan 2016 and see that the rate was faster than the 18 months under Trump. My calculation shows 2.8 million households between Jan 2015 to Jan 2016.

Unless the graph is wrong, but if anything, the rate seems to have slowed down a bit with Trump in power which should be expected as the number closes in on pre recession numbers.

What is the variable for the x axis? if it is individuals, then ignore everything I said above

Data is from January 2017 through March 2018 for the figure Breitbart is reporting. A year and three months. https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...NAPmonthly.pdf

Update: Actually Breitbart left off March since it rose for that month and was no longer below 20 million households. (chart is from link at Breitbart article). 58,000 MORE people went on SNAP.

There were more households on SNAP in October, 2017 than in January 2017 when Trump took office- 22,040,331 versus 21,111,302.

From January, 2017 through March 2018, the number of households went down to 20,056,950- a decline of 1.05 million in 15 months.

Looking at one year's change, from March 2017 through March 2018 the number of families on SNAP went down by 770 thousand in a year.

March 2016- March 2017 : 1,098,000
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-12-2018 at 08:14 PM.

With trump we had 2.2 m in 18 months
    12 months not 18.

Data is from Feb 2018.
    Trump sworn in Jan 2017, meaning Feb 2017 was his first full month in office.

The Jan 2015-16 interval might be as good, but the trend (the point Zippy is trying to make) is nowhere near that. 5 million in 4 years is just over half the Trump rate.

Here's better data straight from the Ag Dept for anyone who cares: https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...NAPmonthly.pdf

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You are also an example of evolution. They started hiring them as government employees. TSA!

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    You are also an example of evolution. They started hiring them as government employees. TSA!
    Thank you for your informative contribution to the discussion.

Here's better data straight from the Ag Dept for anyone who cares: https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...NAPmonthly.pdf
    Still 2015 to 2016 showed 744k households drop out of the program and 2017 to 2018 showed 123k households dropping out. No matter which data set u use, the rate is slowing down under Trump. Which is something I would have expected 10 yrs ish after the big recession.

I still give the man credit for the drop happening under his watch.

Wait a minute, the cost to govt went from $63 b to $26 b from 2017 to 2018. Forget number of household participants, this is the number they should be showcasing. OMG!!!

Just realized the cost per person increased while the number of participants barely decreased. I think the number for 2018 is not for the full year. I had assumed it was reporting Jan 2017 to Jan 2018 as fiscal year 2018. But I am afraid its not.
    Last edited by juleswin; 06-12-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Wait a minute, the cost to govt went from $63 b to $26 b from 2017 to 2018. Forget number of household participants, this is the number they should be showcasing. OMG!!!
    Now imagine how many mouths you were feeding.

Thank you for your informative contribution to the discussion.
    Another lie by Zippy. Instead of acknowledgement it is giving me this. Is Zippy broken?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Now imagine how many mouths you were feeding.
    I don't get it?

Quote Originally Posted by loveshiscountry View Post
    Still 50 percent higher than before the crash while population has grown 8-9 percent.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FY 2018 isn't a full year yet- it runs through October. That only counts five months. Costs haven't dropped by more than half. Average benefit per household has dropped by $10 a month though (to $245.42) .

Still 2015 to 2016 showed 744k households drop out of the program and 2017 to 2018 showed 123k households dropping out. No matter which data set u use, the rate is slowing down under Trump. Which is something I would have expected 10 yrs ish after the big recession.

I still give the man credit for the drop happening under his watch.
    Not sure if you're using fiscal year or calendar year there, but I don't see the numbers you are seeing.

Also keep in mind that Aug/Sept/Oct 2017 there was a massive temporary increase as a result of hurricanes Irma and Harvey, so if that's where you're making the cut for analysis that's the wrong place.

FY 2018 isn't a full year yet- it runs through October. That only counts five months. Costs haven't dropped by more than half. Average benefit per household has dropped by $10 a month though (to $245.42) .
    I quickly figure something was off with the data. Cos that would have been a miracle had he been able to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    Long time no see. What brings you here dear?

I quickly figure something was off with the data. Cos that would have been a miracle had he been able to pull it off.
    Why don't they show projected data? I am sure Excel has a function.

With trump we had 2.2 m in 18 months, now look at Zippy's chart and trace up the rate from Jan 2015 to Jan 2016 and see that the rate was faster than the 18 months under Trump. My calculation shows 2.8 million households between Jan 2015 to Jan 2016.

Unless the graph is wrong, but if anything, the rate seems to have slowed down a bit with Trump in power which should be expected as the number closes in on pre recession numbers.

What is the variable for the x axis? if it is individuals, then ignore everything I said above
    I am sure everybody is impressed with this pablum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast