Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb and dumber: why we’re getting less intelligent

Exclamation Dumb and dumber: why we’re getting less intelligent

The enstupidation continues, unabated.

Dumb and dumber: why we’re getting less intelligent

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...gent-80k3bl83v

Oliver Moody, Science Correspondent

June 12 2018, 12:01am, The Times

The IQ scores of young people have begun to fall after rising steadily since the Second World War, according to the first authoritative study of the phenomenon.

The decline, which is equivalent to at least seven points per generation, is thought to have started with the cohort born in 1975, who reached adulthood in the early Nineties.

Scientists say that the deterioration could be down to changes in the way maths and languages are taught, or to a shift from reading books to spending time on television and computers.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The enstupidation continues, unabated.

Dumb and dumber: why we’re getting less intelligent

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...gent-80k3bl83v

Oliver Moody, Science Correspondent

June 12 2018, 12:01am, The Times

The IQ scores of young people have begun to fall after rising steadily since the Second World War, according to the first authoritative study of the phenomenon.

The decline, which is equivalent to at least seven points per generation, is thought to have started with the cohort born in 1975, who reached adulthood in the early Nineties.

Scientists say that the deterioration could be down to changes in the way maths and languages are taught, or to a shift from reading books to spending time on television and computers.
    The Great Plan continues unabated.

These are the results you get when you flood high-IQ countries with low-IQ foreign populations.

With technology the need to learn and retain knowledge is less important. Complex issues can be resolved with a keystroke or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    With technology the need to learn and retain knowledge is less important. Complex issues can be resolved with a keystroke or two.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

From the movie "Repo Man":

Extended clip:

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So I am to understand when canada conquers minnesota they will get a higher IQ ?

Silly question but how many people not here not named Dannno have measured their IQs?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    People have been saying this sort of thing since written language was invented. It's been disproven many times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Silly question but how many people not here not named Dannno have measured their IQs?
    The govt school system measured mine and my wife's. My boy has an appointment with the district psychologist to have it measured this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The govt school system measured mine and my wife's. My boy has been referred to have it measured this summer.
    Ok, I got mine measured when I started nursing school and I scored inside the top 95 percentile and then I took it again on my way out of nursing school and then I scored in the top 75 percentile. And the weird thing is that it was the same test, word for word, question for question, same time allotment etc etc.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2011/...really-measure

What Does IQ Really Measure?

Kids who score higher on IQ tests will, on average, go on to do better in conventional measures of success in life: academic achievement, economic success, even greater health, and longevity. Is that because they are more intelligent? Not necessarily. New research concludes that IQ scores are partly a measure of how motivated a child is to do well on the test. And harnessing that motivation might be as important to later success as so-called native intelligence.

Researchers have long debated what IQ tests actually measure, and whether average differences in IQ scores--such as those between different ethnic groups--reflect differences in intelligence, social and economic factors, or both. The debate moved heavily into the public arena with the 1994 publication of The Bell Curve by Richard Herrnstein and Charles Murray, which suggested that the lower average IQ scores of some ethnic groups, such as African-Americans and Hispanics, were due in large part to genetic differences between them and Caucasian groups. That view has been challenged by many scientists. For example, in his 2009 book "Intelligence and How to Get It," Richard Nisbett, a psychologist at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, argued that differences in IQ scores largely disappear when researchers control for social and economic factors.

New work, led by Angela Lee Duckworth, a psychologist at the University of Pennsylvania, and reported online today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences explores the effect of motivation on how well people perform on IQ tests. While subjects taking such tests are usually instructed to try as hard as they can, previous research has shown that not everyone makes the maximum effort. A number of studies have found that subjects who are promised monetary rewards for doing well on IQ and other cognitive tests score significantly higher.
    More at link including details of the study.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-m...-at-all-2012-4

The Man With The Highest IQ In The World Doesn't Think He's Very Smart At All

Scoring in the upper 190s, Rick Rosner may have the highest IQ in the world. But he attributes his score in part to his obsessive personality and says it isn't particularly meaningful intelligence.
    From an interview with The Daily's Madeleine Scinto:

To think you can accurately measure super high iqs is also not reasonable in that a lot of my IQ is that I'm super persistent. I know what it takes to do well on those tests in terms of time commitment. I've taken a bunch of these tests and I'm willing to spend 120 hours on them. But a really smart person like a Bill Gates would say why would I spend 120 hours on this test when I can develop a new product and make 100s of millions of dollars. It's almost as if I'm less smart for taking these tests. You have to take points off for me wasting my time.
    Rosner is also a pretty weird guy.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-12-2018 at 12:00 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ok, I got mine measured when I started nursing school and I scored inside the top 95 percentile and then I took it again on my way out of nursing school and then I scored in the top 75 percentile. And the weird thing is that it was the same test, word for word, question for question, same time allotment etc etc.
    DW, had a surprise impromptu IQ test in the midst of filling out a nursing job application online recently.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    DW, had a surprise impromptu IQ test in the midst of filling out a nursing job application online recently.
    That would scare the hell out of me, to tell you the truth, I am completely petrified of taking any IQ or general intelligence tests. I really like to know the material I am about to be tested on, as opposed to just going in blind for a test. When I took my nursing boards, I wasn't scared at all and I was able to pass it with 75 questions on first try mainly because I knew what the material was going to be and I was well prepared it.

Usually, nursing managers would just look at your CV, strikes on your license and your experience and you get a job. IQ testing must be new to the industry. Btw, how did she do in it?

That would scare the hell out of me, to tell you the truth, I am completely petrified of taking any IQ or general intelligence tests. I really like to know the material I am about to be tested on, as opposed to just going in blind for a test. When I took my nursing boards, I wasn't scared at all and I was able to pass it with 75 questions on first try mainly because I knew what the material was going to be and I was well prepared it.

Usually, nursing managers would just look at your CV, strikes on your license and your experience and you get a job. IQ testing must be new to the industry. Btw, how did she do in it?
    Yeah, it was timed too, a sudden prompt for a 10 minute test. She must have done well --they didn't give a score-- since they called the next day to setup an interview. My remark was, "they must not be unionized". and I was correct.

Govt school gave these numbers to our parents . This was helpful to me because when my Mother saw how high it was she lowered her expectations for me and by the time I was in late teens was just happy I was not a serial killer .
    Do something Danke

Any IQ test that is coming at an age when you're starting nursing school is coming way too late to produce an accurate score.

As far as the score differential is concerned, keep in mind that age is the denominator in an IQ. The older you are, the lower IQ any given performance corresponds to. So if you answered every single question exactly the same both times, your score would be guaranteed to be lower the second time, since you were older.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Any IQ test that is coming at an age when you're starting nursing school is coming way too late to produce an accurate score.

As far as the score differential is concerned, keep in mind that age is the denominator in an IQ. The older you are, the lower IQ any given performance corresponds to. So if you answered every single question exactly the same both times, your score would be guaranteed to be lower the second time, since you were older.
    That particular IQ test is given to determine how successful the student would be in the nursing program. And no, I missed more questions second time around than my first take. First time around, I missed I think 3-4 questions out of 40 and the second go, I missed about 8 questions. This was only 2 yrs apart.

Also to be fair, one was taken during our orientation before any school work had started(relaxed with no pressure) and the second was taken while we were busy trying to finish up our finals. Also I knew the 2nd time around what the test was and I was trying really hard to ace it and all that pressure might have tripped me off.

Don't get me wrong, I and just about anyone who has a problem with the IQ test would rather score in the top 95 percentile of any IQ test than in the 75. Just saying

Does it make a difference if the IQ gap is caused by genetics or environmental influences?

Regardless of what causes it, what good comes from importing millions of semi literate, high functioning mental defectives into the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Researchers have long debated what IQ tests actually measure, and whether average differences in IQ scores--such as those between different ethnic groups--reflect differences in intelligence, social and economic factors, or both. The debate moved heavily into the public arena with the 1994 publication of The Bell Curve by Richard Herrnstein and Charles Murray, which suggested that the lower average IQ scores of some ethnic groups, such as African-Americans and Hispanics, were due in large part to genetic differences between them and Caucasian groups. That view has been challenged by many scientists. For example, in his 2009 book "Intelligence and How to Get It," Richard Nisbett, a psychologist at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, argued that differences in IQ scores largely disappear when researchers control for social and economic factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Does it make a difference if the IQ gap is caused by genetics or environmental influences?

Regardless of what causes it, what good comes from importing millions of semi literate, high functioning mental defectives into the country?
    Like our ancestors? (Unless you are Native American)

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Like our ancestors? (Unless you are Native American)
    You are making our case zip, we shouldn't copy the Injuns' mistake or we may get the same kind of results they did.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You are making our case zip, we shouldn't copy the Injuns' mistake or we may get the same kind of results they did.
    So you are saying you don't belong here?

I belong here, I and generations of my ancestors were born here.
    If the Injuns had kept my ancestors out I wouldn't belong here without their permission.
    We shouldn't replicate the errors of those our ancestors defeated.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Self deportation is a thing and it's something one should explore if they truly believe the white European migration to the Americas was a mistake. He is essentially saying it was a failed experiment.

Self deportation is a thing and it's something one should explore if they truly believe the white European migration to the Americas was a mistake. He is essentially saying it was a failed experiment.
    It was quite successful for my ancestors and a definite failure for the natives, I don't intend to follow the example of the failure.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 06-12-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Whether we "belong" here or not I suppose is a moral question, for pondering by philosophers.

We are here, now.

The fact of the matter is that if a flood of immigrants, hostile and foreign to the native population, is allowed to continue, the native population will find themselves reduced to second class citizens, living a life of squalor on poorly run government plantations.

Not a life I want for my children.

I no longer trouble myself with the "morality" of the situation, especially as I listen to the drumbeat of hatred and outright calls for genocide of the native population that emanates from these same foreign aliens.

$#@! the huddled masses. They can damn well piss off right back to wherever the $#@! they came from.

And if that means some hardship and separation, well, too $#@!ing bad.

I no longer care, due to the harsh and hostile rhetoric that has been heaped on me and mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast