Thread: Trump floats scrapping all tariffs, barriers at G-7 summit

Trump floats scrapping all tariffs, barriers at G-7 summit

President Trump reportedly asked world leaders at the Group of Seven Summit on Friday to consider "no tariffs" at all amid growing tensions over the administration's trade moves.
    Politico, citing officials who listened and took notes of the discussions, reported that Trump told assembled world leaders that “we should at least consider no tariffs, no barriers — scrapping all of it."

More at: http://thehill.com/policy/internatio...ng-all-tariffs
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Folding again?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Folding again?
    LOL
    @dannno told you this was the goal all along.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    LOL
    @dannno told you this was the goal all along.
    How dumb Zippy really is?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How dumb Zippy really is?
    We will never know for sure, being forced to follow the playbook hides his real intelligence.

Of course it is possible he really is this dumb on his own.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The newspaper reported that the idea was challenged Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who is hosting the summit in Quebec.
    "What about subsidies?” the Canadian leader reportedly asked.

Politico reported that leaders present for the meeting took Trump's suggestion as largely rhetorical.

“We’ll take it as a starting point," German Chancellor Angela Merkel, another top opponent of Trump's tariffs and trade rhetoric, reportedly responded.
    Hahahaha, wow, $#@! these people...

So Angela Merkel is an opponent of Trump's tariffs, but considering not having tariffs or lowering them she considers "rhetorical" ??

This is classic leftist drivel.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Are those G7 countries charging higher tariffs than the US does on their products? Are they "taking advantage of us"?

Average tariff- all imported goods:

USA: 1.6%
    EU: 1.6%
    UK: 1.6%
    Italy: 1.6%
    Germany: 1.6%
    France: 1.6%
    Japan: 1.4%
    Canada: 0.8%
    https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...=2016&view=bar

"We're the piggy bank that everybody is robbing" -Donald Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/09/polit...ade/index.html

Globally, tariffs are close to their lowest levels ever — averaging around 2.9% — according to the latest data from the World Bank. Tariffs have been falling for decades due to free trade agreements.

Before departing the summit, Trump doubled-down on his assertions that the US has been subjected to unfair trade duties for many years. "It's going to change. Tariffs will come way down. We're like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing and that ends."
    Trump has been trying to scrap free trade agreements.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-09-2018 at 11:55 AM.

The newspaper reported that the idea was challenged Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who is hosting the summit in Quebec.

"What about subsidies?” the Canadian leader reportedly asked.
    "Challenged". LOL. I hope Trump responded with "let's get rid of them too!"
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All money stolen from the people and stuffed in the pockets of politicians, murderers, rapists, and theives...but I repeated myself

Heck that was a straight stutter
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Average tariff

Lovely statistical wizardry. Hmm how could the average hide who is disadvantaged in trade barriers?
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Lovely statistical wizardry. Hmm how could the average hide who is disadvantaged in trade barriers?
    The figure was the average for all imports. You could of course have high tariffs on some sectors and no tariffs on others depending on what industries the governments want to protect/ subsidize.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Hahahaha, wow, $#@! these people...

So Angela Merkel is an opponent of Trump's tariffs, but considering not having tariffs or lowering them she considers "rhetorical" ??

This is classic leftist drivel.
    On foreign policy I think Europe is going to lose, the US, Russia, and a Unified Korea will be the winners. Never thought I'd say that in a sentence.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    It helps to ignore non-tariff barriers as well.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Wow, just had a thought, what if Trump decides to close bases in Germany just to scare the $#@! out of the G7 (they pay for their own defenses) and give Merkel the finger, this also helps angle himself with Russia.

Ok, I'm going on record. HEADLINE: "Trump threatens to close bases in Germany".

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

The figure was the average for all imports. You could of course have high tariffs on some sectors and no tariffs on others depending on what industries cronies the governments want to protect/ subsidize.
    FTFY.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Wow, just had a thought, what if Trump decides to close bases in Germany just to scare the $#@! out of the G7 (they pay for their own defenses) and give Merkel the finger, this also helps angle himself with Russia.

Ok, I'm going on record. HEADLINE: "Trump threatens to close bases in Germany".
    The Empire likes it's foreign bases.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It helps to ignore non-tariff barriers as well.
    And conveniently exclude some tariffs that are deemed to be unnecessary for the statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The Empire likes it's foreign bases.
    HEADLINE: "Trump builds base in Iran as part of strategic alliance in era of new relations, brings stability to Middle East"

Trump said he was delivering this message to a wide range of countries, not just those at the meeting. He specifically cited India as being a country that he could impose new penalties against as well.
    “We are talking to many countries,” he said. “We’re talking to all countries. And it’s going to stop. Or we’ll stop trading with them.”

More at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.700a35b881fb

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

"Challenged". LOL. I hope Trump responded with "let's get rid of them too!"
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ybodys-robbing

During his talk, Trump alternated between stream-of-conscious rambling about trade, Russia and North Korea and taking questions from reporters.

On trade:

"We had productive discussion on having fair and reciprocal" trade and market access.

"We're linked in the great effort to create a more just and prosperous world. And from the standpoint of trade and creating more prosperous countries, I think they are starting to be committed to more fair trade. We as a nation lost $870 billion on trade...I blame our leaders and I congratulate leaders of other countries for taking advantage of our leaders."

"If they retaliate they're making a tremendous mistake because you see we have a tremendous trade imbalance...the numbers are so much against them, we win that war 1000 times out of a 1000."

"We're negotiating very hard, tariffs and barriers...the European Union is brutal to the United States....the gig is up...there's nothing they can say."

"We're like the piggy bank that everybody's robbing."

"I would say the level of relationship is a ten - Angela, Emmanuel and Justin - we have a very good relationship. I won't blame these people, unless they don't smarten up and make the trades fair."

On eliminating trade barriers:

"That's the way it should be. No tariffs, no barriers - no subsidies."

"You go tariff free you go barrier-free you go subsidy-free - that's the way we learned it at the Wharton School of Finance. We can't have an example where the US is paying fees of 270%."

Then "Worst, Fake News" CNN asked President Trump how disastrous his trade policies are and how his actions are hurting relationships... to which he replied very informatively, ending "so you can tell that to your fake friends at CNN..."

President Trump lays it all out on trade to CNN reporter �� pic.twitter.com/PbboaQBhAI
    — Jack Posobiec���� (@JackPosobiec) June 9, 2018

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Good on him. Great starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    MAGA!

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Art of the Deal, folks. Trump did this so he would have something to negotiate. Obama was giving away the store. Trump had nothing to bargain with.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

FTFY.

If it hasn't been obvious by now, Trump has a typical playbook that has been deployed over and over again.

This g7 twist is not a surprise in the least.

Zippyjuan reminds me of the fake MSM. Confirmation bias wins every time. You only see what you're telling yourself in standing in front of you.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll