Thread: AA flight from Phoenix to San Antonio suffers extensive damage in hailstorm

Exclamation AA flight from Phoenix to San Antonio suffers extensive damage in hailstorm

Photos show damage to American Airlines plane from hail storm following emergency landing

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/0...y-landing.html

An American Airlines flight en route to Phoenix from San Antonio on Sunday made an emergency landing in El Paso due to “damage sustained by weather” during the flight, Fox 4 News reported.

Flight 1897 left San Antonio International Airport at 6:57 p.m. and landed safely at 8:03 p.m. MT, the airline confirmed.The Airbus A319 had 130 passengers and five crew members.

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, I can imagine that was quite a tense landing with no forward view... But for a second, imagine this is your first solo flight in an engineless aircraft, a sailplane. You only have one shot at landing and right before final you fly through some rain, which completely fogs up the canopy... No passengers and no damage but a blind landing. It was exactly what happened on my first solo flight.

There are two options, either you become scared and do nothing or you don't even notice that you take all the necessary/appropriate actions...
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 06-05-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Is that dirt on the nose?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

That must be some killer hail.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Well, I can imagine that was quite a tense landing with no forward view... But for a second, imagine this is your first solo flight in an engineless aircraft, a sailplane. You only have one shot at landing and right before final you fly through some rain, which completely fogs up the canopy... No passengers and no damage but a blind landing. It was exactly what happened on my first solo flight.

There are two options, either you become scared and do nothing or you don't even notice that you take all the necessary/appropriate actions...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Jan2017

Watch in Real Time as American Airlines 1897 Tries to Escape a Hail Storm From Hell

Combining weather map with flight tracking reveals the rambling path an American Airlines plane flew as it tried to escape a horrible hail storm.

The incredible pictures of the plane's destroyed nose captured the world's attention. Meanwhile, though, observers on the ground captured another wild visual: the flight's meandering real-time path as pilots tried to navigate around the worst of the monster storm.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/fli...m-flight-path/
    Last edited by Jan2017; 06-06-2018 at 10:10 AM.

@Danke , do something!

Why didn't they route south, around the bulk of it, into clear air to the south?

Distance and fuel?

Or are there issues crossing into Mexican airspace?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    @Danke , do something!

Why didn't they route south, around the bulk of it, into clear air to the south?

Distance and fuel?

Or are there issues crossing into Mexican airspace?
    Hard to say from the little information I have. Maybe his mistress was waiting for him in Phoenix.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Hard to say from the little information I have. Maybe his mistress was waiting for him in Phoenix.
    His?

Check your privilege.

Might have been LGTBQ2PXYZ

On the pro airline pilot forum the current speculation is that there was radar attenuation going on... basically the radar reading in the cockpit was inaccurate because the storm was soooo bad
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    On the pro airline pilot forum the current speculation is that there was radar attenuation going on... basically the radar reading in the cockpit was inaccurate because the storm was soooo bad
    My flight experience is almost all VFR GA, so I have not fussed with any instruments to any great degree other than the standard six pack.

This is possible on "S" band marine radars, but I figured onboard aviation radar would be much higher frequency, less prone to attenuation and "clutter".

What is that brown stuff on the nose of the plane?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Part of the thunderstorm that got stuck.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Good thing this Airbus has a side window that opens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dc-Cover-du630fscii3si2gap5of4jpsd6-20170906192222.Medi.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	6009
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

O.K. in all seriously. If I was flying that route and saw that weather on my radar, I'd fly way north to avoid it. If I didn't have the fuel to continue, I'd divert to another airport to refuel. I would never get close to a thunderstorm like that, once a Captain I was with choose to pick his way between some cells that made me uncomfortable, he was ultimately right and nothing came of it.

However, I am very conservative and as an old $#@!, I tell a not so conservative stick mate, no, we are going to go well around it. Just the other day, we had already seated the passengers. I said lets seat the fight attendants too as it looked as it was going to get bumpy. The captain looked surprised, but later thanked me as it ended up being pretty bad for anyone not seated with seatbelts on.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Yeah, I'd have to surmise from the shape of the damage to the cone and the dirt residue, that cone damage was not caused by hail or ice.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah, I'd have to surmise from the shape of the damage to the cone and the dirt residue, that cone damage was not caused by hail or ice.
    Could be a tumbleweed.

O.K. in all seriously. If I was flying that route and saw that weather on my radar, I'd fly way north to avoid it. If I didn't have the fuel to continue, I'd divert to another airport to refuel. I would never get close to a thunderstorm like that, once a Captain I was with choose to pick his way between some cells that made me uncomfortable, he was ultimately right and nothing came of it.

However, I am very conservative and as an old $#@!, I tell a not so conservative stick mate, no, we are going to go well around it. Just the other day, we had already seated the passengers. I said lets seat the fight attendants too as it looked as it was going to get bumpy.
    Where did you seat them?

The captain looked surprised, but later thanked me as it ended up being pretty bad for anyone not seated with seatbelts on.
    I bet he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

O.K. in all seriously. If I was flying that route and saw that weather on my radar, I'd fly way north to avoid it. If I didn't have the fuel to continue, I'd divert to another airport to refuel. I would never get close to a thunderstorm like that,
    Good ADM
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

This is why one should always fly 757 and 767s through storm-cells, they are invincible enough to slice through the worlds tallest buildings and completely bury themselves under solid earth.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber