Thread: Should business owners be subject to different laws?

Default Should business owners be subject to different laws?

I was reading thru a thread on the validity of discrimination laws on a more mainstream forum and it was pretty much in agreement that if you own a business you forfeit many of your individual rights. Many said that "open to the public" is in effect a contract and that by only allowing "white people" you'd be violating that contract. My thought was just put up a sign that says "whites only" to avoid any contract violation. Another common justification is that businesses have the benefit of government infrastructure so they should have to follow special rules. My response would be that everyone uses infrastructure and therefore everyone should be subject to the same laws. On top of that businesses pay almost all of the taxes, especially if you include the taxes that employees pay. So it's seems pretty unfair that business owners have to pay for the government AND get the most punishing laws directed only at them.

I think the main reason we have discrimination laws is because those laws are ONLY directed at business owners. If everyone had to follow those laws "Excuse me Mr. Smith. We noticed that you've only been dating Asian women - that'll be a $1,000 fine", those laws would end in a second because there are a lot more non-business owners that vote.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Great analogy. If a woman says she only dates tall men, she is clearly discriminating. She is not judging on the content of someone's character. If she puts an ad on a dating site, how is her discrimination any different than a business owner's? It isn't. This seems like it should be obvious to everyone.

Any manifestation of preference is hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Great analogy. If a woman says she only dates tall men, she is clearly discriminating. She is not judging on the content of someone's character. If she puts an ad on a dating site, how is her discrimination any different than a business owner's? It isn't. This seems like it should be obvious to everyone.
    I stole that analogy from Walter Williams:

"Should people have the right to discriminate by race, sex, religion and other attributes? In a free society, I say yes. Let's look at it. When I was selecting a marriage partner, I systematically discriminated against white women, Asian women and women of other ethnicities that I found less preferable. The Nation of Islam discriminates against white members. The Aryan Brotherhood discriminates against having black members. The Ku Klux Klan discriminates against having Catholic and Jewish members. The NFL discriminates against hiring female quarterbacks. The NAACP National Board of Directors, at least according to the photo on their Web page, has no white members."

https://www.creators.com/read/walter...o-discriminate

Don't regulate you, don't regulate me, regulate that guy behind the tree.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment