Thread: Jury Awards $4 to Family of Man Fatally Shot by Sheriff's Deputy in His Own Garage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jury Awards $4 to Family of Man Fatally Shot by Sheriff's Deputy in His Own Garage

While his 9 yr. old daughter watched from across the street. $#@!-twit picking up her child at a school called police and reported loud music from his home across from the school. Cops show up. He closes garage door and cop fires through the door putting a bullet in his brain pan. Then cops call SWAT who proceed to wreck the dead mans house with tear gas fired through windows. A jury of one black and six white award $4 dollars. Oh, he had an unloaded gun in his back pocket and was a drug user who's probation ended 11 days before the cops showed up. But, this was pertinent for the jury to know. Oh, and he was INTOXICATED at the time, too!!!!!
    SMDH. Whoulda been better if his gun were loaded and he, at least, taken out one of the cops and so severely injured the other that he would have had to poop into a bag the rest of his life.

A federal court jury has awarded the family of a man who was fatally shot by a Sheriff's Deputy in the garage of his own home $4 in a wrongful death suit.

Gregory Hill Jr, a 30-year-old black man, was fatally shot by Christopher Newman, a white deputy with the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office, at his home in Fort Pierce, Florida ,in January 2014 after Newman responded to a noise complaint about loud music,

Newman and his partner, Deputy Edward Lopez, had reportedly knocked on Hill's garage door to investigate the noise complaint. When the garage door eventually opened, Hill was standing by it with his left hand on the door and his right hand by his side.

It is still unclear what exactly happened in the seconds that unfolded, as Newman drew his gun and fired four times toward Hill as the garage door started to go down.

However, when a SWAT team arrived, they found Hill dead. He had been shot three times, including once in the head.

Toxicology reports had shown Hill had been intoxicated at the time of the incident and the SWAT team found a gun in the 30-year-old's back pocket, but it was not loaded, TCPalm reported.
    Moar....https://www.yahoo.com/news/jury-awar...122406421.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are no words strong enough to describe the stupidity of that jury.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4 cents now... apparently the jury thought he had it coming because he had been drinking and owned a weapon of Defense

We b fkd
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    4 cents now... apparently the jury thought he had it coming because he had been drinking and owned a weapon of Defense

We b fkd
    Not me. I'll die shooting. The Blue is nothing more than enforcers working an extortion racket for the State. I know I'll "lose." But, I won't consider myself to be $#@!ed.

As a result, the jury awarded $4 in damages to Hill's family, with $1 going towards funeral expenses and $1 going towards each of Hill's three children for their loss.
    I can't put into words how disgusted I am.... to award one single dollar, is just insulting.

The brave Officer does not deserve to be dishonored like this.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I can't put into words how disgusted I am.... to award one single dollar, is just insulting.

The brave Officer does not deserve to be dishonored like this.
    And to add insult to injury that $4 is coming out of good taxpayers money!!!
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    And to add insult to injury that $4 is coming out of good taxpayers money!!!
    I'm just relieved it's not coming out of The Officer's pension.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    He was drinking and also had a gun in his back pocket. Clearly, he did this to himself.
    Last edited by TheTexan; 06-01-2018 at 07:47 PM.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    He was drinking and also had a gun in his back pocket. Clearly, he did this to himself.
    OF COURSE HE DID ! why did they need to burden the T DonKEYS WITH FOUR MORE "CENTS" oh irony you cruel retarded beeyatch
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    While his 9 yr. old daughter watched from across the street. $#@!-twit picking up her child at a school called police and reported loud music from his home across from the school. Cops show up. He closes garage door and cop fires through the door putting a bullet in his brain pan. Then cops call SWAT who proceed to wreck the dead mans house with tear gas fired through windows. A jury of one black and six white award $4 dollars. Oh, he had an unloaded gun in his back pocket and was a drug user who's probation ended 11 days before the cops showed up. But, this was pertinent for the jury to know. Oh, and he was INTOXICATED at the time, too!!!!!
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

On the plus side by the times those children are ready for college that $4 will be worth all of about $1.25! ...Oh wait that is not such good news either.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Last week, the jurors delivered their verdict. Deputy Newman had not used excessive force, they concluded, but the St. Lucie County sheriff, Ken Mascara, had been ever so slightly negligent given Deputy Newman’s actions. The jury awarded $4 in damages: $1 for funeral expenses and $1 for each child’s loss.

Because jurors also found that the sheriff’s office was only 1 percent at fault in the death, that award was reduced to four cents. And furthermore, because jurors found that Mr. Hill was intoxicated and mostly to blame for the shooting, a lawyer for his family said Tuesday that a judge would reduce the four-cent award to nothing.
    also...

According to a verdict form, the jury found that Mr. Hill was responsible for 99 percent of the negligence in the case.

Mr. Phillips said he would have preferred for the jury to have found that there was no negligence than to have found that there was and awarded such paltry damages.

“I think they were trying to insult the case,” Mr. Phillips said of the jury. “Why go there with the $1? That was the hurtful part.”

Eight hours into a 10-hour deliberation the jury indicated that it was unable to reach a verdict. Mr. Phillips said some appeared visibly “incensed” and red in the face.

Still, they were sent back to continue deliberating; eventually, the jury said they had a verdict.

“There was a tug of war somewhere in there,” Ms. Davis, 35, said. “And then everybody’s mind changed to one? Something went on.”

Mr. Phillips added, “It seems like jurors gave up.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/u...t-florida.html
    Last edited by Bern; 06-04-2018 at 10:59 AM.