Thread: A Move to Vermont Could Net You $10K, but There's a Catch

A Move to Vermont Could Net You $10K, but There's a Catch

(NEWSER) – Vermont wants to pay you up to $10,000 to move there, and, yes, there's a catch. To qualify for the funds, you need to be a full-time employee of an out-of-state business who works from home. The unusual proposal, which comes with a new law signed by Gov. Phil Scott on Wednesday, aims to add to Vermont's small and aging population of 625,000 at a time when a thriving US labor market is making it difficult to retain workers, reports CNN. "We recognize the need to recruit people to the state, and this is one of those efforts," Joan Goldstein, the state's commissioner of economic development, says of the Remote Worker Grant Program, which will provide up to $10,000 over two years to full-time workers who relocate to the state but work remotely for an out-of-state employer.

The funds are meant to cover the cost of moving, computers, internet, and other work-related expenses. Interested workers will want to act fast. The state has only budgeted for 100 grants to be given out over the next three years, on a first-come, first-serve basis beginning on Jan. 1, 2019, and Goldstein says her office is already receiving inquiries. That should please Scott, who notes the state has "about 16,000 fewer workers than we did in 2009," per CNBC. He hopes a separate state program will also help. The Stay to Stay Weekends program aims to convince Vermont's 13 million annual tourists to settle in Vermont for good by offering networking events with employers, entrepreneurs, and realtors, across four weekends this year, reports Quartz.
    http://www.newser.com/story/260036/a...s-a-catch.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Makes me wish I knew enough computer programming to work from home and do that.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Makes me wish I knew enough computer programming to work from home and do that.
    That 10,000.00 probably wouldn't even cover the extra tax burden you'd have in that state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.