Thread: ‘Reparations Happy Hour’ Invites White People to Pay for Drinks (and stay away also)

Exclamation ‘Reparations Happy Hour’ Invites White People to Pay for Drinks (and stay away also)

Oh, and make sure you stay out, white devil.

‘Reparations Happy Hour’ Invites White People to Pay for Drinks

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/26/u...-portland.html

[img]https://static01.********/images/2018/05/26/us/26xp-reparations/merlin_138652449_f8774ffe-7d15-494e-b188-412aefa5efe4-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp[/img]

Adia Gibbs, left, and Tina Valeria at “Reparations Happy Hour,” which was held in Portland, Ore., this week.CreditCameron Whitten

By Daniel Victor
    May 26, 2018

In Portland, Ore., organizers of the “Reparations Happy Hour” invited black, brown and indigenous people to a bar and handed them $10 bills as they arrived, a small but symbolic gift mostly funded by white people who were asked not to attend.

Brown Hope, a local activist organization, wanted the event, which was held on Monday, to be a space for people of color in a mostly white city to meet one another, discuss policy issues and plan potential action.

While it was far from the full-scale reparations sought by some as penance for the horrors of slavery and continuing racial injustice, Cameron Whitten, the 27-year-old activist who organized the event, said there was one similarity: It made attendees feel as if their pain were valued and understood.

“It was only $10, but when I saw them I saw their eyes light up,” he said. “What I saw there was that people felt like they were finally seen.”

People of Color are POWERFUL. Amazing turnout at Brown Hope’s inaugural Reparations Happy Hour event! pic.twitter.com/3wlqLpb3lr

— Cameron Whitten (@CameronWhitten) May 22, 2018
    Mr. Whitten said he hoped the event, in addition to building community, would call attention to reparations, the concept that black people should be financially compensated for the generations of trauma that preceded them.

The subject has been the source of spirited debate but has not attracted widespread support. In 2016, an Exclusive Point Taken-Marist Poll found 68 percent of Americans were opposed to reparations, including 81 percent of white people. Among black people, 58 percent supported it and 35 percent were opposed.

In 2014, the writer Ta-Nehisi Coates made a case for reparations in The Atlantic, and The New York Times has published a variety of viewpoints on the topic.

Activists are pinning hopes on H.R. 40, a bill introduced in Congress in January 2017 that would study reparations proposals. It was introduced by Representative John Conyers Jr., a Democrat from Michigan who left Congress in December amid harassment allegations.

Ron Daniels, the president of the Institute of the Black World 21st Century, a group that supports reparations, said they would be necessary for America to “fully heal itself.” Any efforts to bring attention to the idea, including a happy hour bearing that name in Portland, could help people organize around the issue, he said.

“Hopefully out of that experience there’s some education that takes place,” Mr. Daniels said.

There was enough interest in the concept to fund occasional happy hours for the rest of the year, though they will be renamed to “Reparations Power Hour” out of concern that the “happy hour” label was unwelcoming to people who do not drink, Mr. Whitten said.

Anticipating some criticism, he noted that it was not meant to diminish the seriousness of reparations. Should anyone question why white people were not invited, he said, “They show up by donating to make sure the event happens.” More than 100 people, not all of them white, donated, he said.

“White people, we have love for you, and we’re going to see you. We can’t not see you,” he said. “Once a month we’re going to have these two special hours that we cannot get anywhere else.”
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-26-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I seem to recall a hella lot of White dying to free your sorry asses. When is the black community going to at least express gratitude for it?

Only in a Marxist dystopia can such blatant hypocrisy be praised.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

1. Every person on earth is a descendent of slaves and slave owners, murderers and murder victims, rapists and rape victims. The “black means slave” mentality is what’s to blame for much of this nonsense. It’s about as accurate as “Polish means plumber”.

2. The only victims of slavery are actual slaves. Descendants of slaves are beneficiaries of slavery. Without slavery, they simply would never have been born. That’s basic biology, your parents had to have sex at the exact moment they did for you to be conceived, and the same is true for every one of your pairs of ancestors. If my ancestor X hadn’t been enslaved at time Y, he wouldn’t have slept with the person he did and created my next generation ancestor. Your “right of grievance” begins at conception. Anything that happened before that may be unfortunate, evil or whatever, but it was also necessary for you to ever exist.

So the only way to “repair slavery” is to kill every single person on earth. We all owe our lives to slavery, and murder, and rape, and all kinds of nasty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I seem to recall a hella lot of White dying to free your sorry asses. When is the black community going to at least express gratitude for it?
    $#@! gratude, money will be fine...

Give back some of those EEO dollars.........

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    $#@! gratude, money will be fine...

Give back some of those EEO dollars.........
    Reparations for the families of the hundreds of thousands that died for their freedom. Seems only fair, since they were too lazy or non-caring to bring themselves out of servitude when they numbered in the millions.

Meh what do you expect from a class of people brought up being taught the reason everyone is poor is because of a certain race of people.
    Didn't Hitler say that about the Jews? o Right.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

I would gladly pay "reparations" to send any of them back to Africa that want "reparations", as kilrain points out they are beneficiaries of their ancestors slavery, it isn't just their existence that they owe to their ancestors slavery though, if we assume that they would have been born without it then we must remember that they would have been born in Africa to a much lower standard of living.

No Reparations Without Relocation.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I would gladly pay "reparations" to send any of them back to Africa that want "reparations", as kilrain points out they are beneficiaries of their ancestors slavery, it isn't just their existence that they owe to their ancestors slavery though, if we assume that they would have been born without it then we must remember that they would have been born in Africa to a much lower standard of living.

No Reparations Without Relocation.
    I'd gladly donate to send the actual racists who keep cooking up this stupid $#@! to butt$#@! Africa.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Oh, and make sure you stay out, white devil.

‘Reparations Happy Hour’ Invites White People to Pay for Drinks

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/26/u...-portland.html

By Daniel Victor
    May 26, 2018

I dunno, could be slippery slope and open door to other more recent reparations claims that could potentially cause liabilities for millions of Americans (upto 70% of population that supported the decision) tens of thousands of dollars each for Iraqi freedom war non-racist revenge bloodbath victim childrens families. Economy has started to recover but with $21 debt such claims pursuit in curts of justice could be a big problem.

Monday, March 19, 2018

15 Years After Invasion, Demands for Iraq War Reparations

The war "provided the platform for mass civilian casualties, war crimes, and a vast boon to corporations seeking to profit from war-making—with almost complete impunity to this day."

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

A sign seen at a 2007 anti-war protest. The renewed call for war reparations for Iraq on Monday comes a day after a network of progressive organizations hosted a video conference because "the threat of war affects us all, and the call for peace must come from everywhere." (Photo: Thiago Santos/cc/flickr)

Marking the 15th anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq, a human and civil rights organization issued a renewed demand for reparations for survivors of the war and said a "new, global anti-war movement is needed more than ever."
    In its statement released Monday, the New York-based Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) calls attention to the ongoing human costs of the war as well as the lack of punishment government officials and corporate entities have faced for atrocities they committed in Iraq.
    The "illegal war" that began in 2003, the group says, "provided the platform for mass civilian casualties, war crimes, and a vast boon to corporations seeking to profit from war-making—with almost complete impunity to this day."
    "A new, global anti-war movement is needed more than ever, and central in it must be the leadership of Iraqis in devising a reparations process.""Groups like ISIS emerged from U.S.-fomented sectarianism and came together in U.S.-run prisons in Iraq. Less visible but no less damaging are the ongoing trauma and health issues experienced by those exposed to the fighting, as well as a growing refugee crisis, even as the Muslim Ban impedes many U.S.-created refugees from seeking asylum in the U.S."
    Though President Barack Obama purportedly ended the war in 2011, it did not, in fact, end.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...peace-movement

" In 2016, an Exclusive Point Taken-Marist Poll found 68 percent of Americans were opposed to reparations, including 81 percent of white people."

Who are these 19%'ers?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    " In 2016, an Exclusive Point Taken-Marist Poll found 68 percent of Americans were opposed to reparations, including 81 percent of white people."

Who are these 19%'ers?
    The Media.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I'm kinda in favor of reparations if, after reparations, the laws are changed to allow discrimination. Get rid of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and give money to blacks and native americans. Blacks have not had a good run of the last 50 years or so. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 - which was meant to help blacks, mostly - was quickly used to help women, gays, transgendered, etc.

Fact is that blacks in the US, dragged here involuntarily, have always been behind. The parents of the average white baby born in the US have a lot more money in their bank account than the parents of the average black baby born in the US, and the blacks didn't come here voluntarily. It's an issue. 50 years of the Civil Rights Act didn't help, arguably made it worse because now white women are competing with black men, and getting jobs that, theoretically, black men could have been doing. If the Civil Rights Act could go, replaced by reparations only to those who were actually hurt, their relatives, that'd be a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by parocks View Post
    I'm kinda in favor of reparations if, after reparations, the laws are changed to allow discrimination. Get rid of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and give money to blacks and native americans. Blacks have not had a good run of the last 50 years or so. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 - which was meant to help blacks, mostly - was quickly used to help women, gays, transgendered, etc.

Fact is that blacks in the US, dragged here involuntarily, have always been behind. The parents of the average white baby born in the US have a lot more money in their bank account than the parents of the average black baby born in the US, and the blacks didn't come here voluntarily. It's an issue. 50 years of the Civil Rights Act didn't help, arguably made it worse because now white women are competing with black men, and getting jobs that, theoretically, black men could have been doing. If the Civil Rights Act could go, replaced by reparations only to those who were actually hurt, their relatives, that'd be a good deal.
    Who would be enslaved to pay these reparations?

All whites, whites whose familial ties are linked to slave holders, everyone in America, or would you offer up wholesaling land to make things more equal?

In my humble opinion, injustices have happened to many. Prosecute those alive who perpetrated the crimes or the down the line victims need to get over it (return stolen property and artifacts to the rightful heirs, if possible).

Printing or stealing money or selling stolen land is not going to solve the issues at hand.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 05-26-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Who would be enslaved to pay these reparations?

All whites, whites whose familial ties are linked to slave holders, everyone in America, or would you offer up wholesaling land to make things more equal?

In my humble opinion, injustices have happened to many. Prosecute those alive who perpetrated the crimes or the down the line victims need to get over it (return stolen property and artifacts to the rightful heirs, if possible).

Printing or stealing money or selling stolen land is not going to solve the issues at hand.
    I'm "white".

I'm Irish, Italian & German by heritage. My Italian and German families arrived here in the late 19th Century. My Irish ancestor came to America in 1729. He and his descendants lived in Pennsylvania up through my generation, and were almost without exception poor, and mainly coal miners through the ages.

None of my families owned a slave in this country - I can't speak for what happened before they came here. All three of my lines experienced discrimination at several points in history - the Irish, obviously; the Italian line, from the moment they stepped off the boat at Ellis Island to probably at least my Dad's generation. Obviously my German grandfather experienced discrimination in the '40's. Honestly, until my generation, I would say my entire family has experienced discrimination at one point or another. Hell, I remember in high school, some stupid POS redneck used to call me a "spic" in the hallways... ignorant ass that he was.

I won't deny that I've experienced some marginal benefit from being "white" - perhaps I got a second interview over someone else, or store security didn't follow me around as I shopped... Really, the biggest benefit I've gained from being white is that the political establishment hasn't done everything it can to destroy the social fabric of my community ("welfare"), and it didn't create a giant mousetrap to incarcerate me and people of my community... tho' maybe I should pump the brakes on that one - I did grow up in Appalachia, which is in the throes of an opiod epidemic on the level of the cocaine epidemic in inner cities.

Also, no one ever told me that I was owed anything at any point in my life. In fact, I was told repeatedly as a child that anything I want in life I better be determined to work for it.

So, I don't particularly feel responsible for anyone else's situation in this world, and I'll be DAMNED if I'm gonna fork over a DIME to someone because I'm white and they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    I'm "white".

I'm Irish, Italian & German by heritage. My Italian and German families arrived here in the late 19th Century. My Irish ancestor came to America in 1729. He and his descendants lived in Pennsylvania up through my generation, and were almost without exception poor, and mainly coal miners through the ages.

None of my families owned a slave in this country - I can't speak for what happened before they came here. All three of my lines experienced discrimination at several points in history - the Irish, obviously; the Italian line, from the moment they stepped off the boat at Ellis Island to probably at least my Dad's generation. Obviously my German grandfather experienced discrimination in the '40's. Honestly, until my generation, I would say my entire family has experienced discrimination at one point or another. Hell, I remember in high school, some stupid POS redneck used to call me a "spic" in the hallways... ignorant ass that he was.

I won't deny that I've experienced some marginal benefit from being "white" - perhaps I got a second interview over someone else, or store security didn't follow me around as I shopped... Really, the biggest benefit I've gained from being white is that the political establishment hasn't done everything it can to destroy the social fabric of my community ("welfare"), and it didn't create a giant mousetrap to incarcerate me and people of my community... tho' maybe I should pump the brakes on that one - I did grow up in Appalachia, which is in the throes of an opiod epidemic on the level of the cocaine epidemic in inner cities.

Also, no one ever told me that I was owed anything at any point in my life. In fact, I was told repeatedly as a child that anything I want in life I better be determined to work for it.

So, I don't particularly feel responsible for anyone else's situation in this world, and I'll be DAMNED if I'm gonna fork over a DIME to someone because I'm white and they're not.
    Someone needs Diversity and Inclusion training.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm a Heinz 57. Should my white part buy my brown part a drink?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

What if I'm of mixed race? Do I have to pay 50% off?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'm a Heinz 57. Should my white part buy my brown part a drink?
    Negatory good-buddy!

Your white part should get lit and insist that your brown part perform lewd and lascivious acts.