Thread: No amount of alcohol, sausage or bacon is safe according to cancer experts

Exclamation No amount of alcohol, sausage or bacon is safe according to cancer experts

LOL - The food evangelists launch yet another salvo.

They told us banning smoking would beat cancer.

They told us eating the government approved foods would lower obesity and help us live longer.

For fifty years we've been listening to and hanging on every word these $#@!s have to say, and we, as a people, are fatter, stupider, sicker and dying sooner than before.

No amount of alcohol, sausage or bacon is safe according to a new global blueprint on how to beat cancer.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/h...booze-12585028

Even small amounts of processed meats and booze increase the risk of a host of cancers outlined in World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) guidelines updated every decade.

The respected global authority has unveiled a 10-point plan to cut your risk of getting cancer by up to 40%.

Brits have been told to banish favourites such as ham, burgers and hot dogs from their diets by experts who say they are a direct cause of bowel cancer.

Processed meats also cause people to be overweight which can trigger many more cancers.

But UK experts have disagreed with the draconian advice insisting the odd bacon sandwich “isn’t anything to worry about”.

The WCRF found boozing is directly linked to increased risk of six cancers and for the first time recommended sticking to water or unsweetened drinks.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-25-2018 at 03:43 AM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    First come warnings, then come bans.

Because these people are zealots, and will never, ever stop.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.” - C.S. Lewis

Is it time for junk food to carry graphic warnings like cigarette packets?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-...e-packets.html

May 24, 2018 by Kathryn Powley, University of Melbourne

Is it time for junk food to carry graphic warnings like cigarette packets?
    An example of a warning message used in the study. Credit: University of Melbourne
    New research suggests graphic warnings on junk food packaging would prove an effective deterrent to consumers when deciding what to eat – and it appears the more graphic and negative the message the better.

The finding by researchers at the University of Melbourne and Cancer Council Victoria reinforces arguments for mandatory health warnings on unhealthy food as an effective tool in improving diets and combatting rising rates of obesity-related chronic diseases.

In the study, 95 hungry participants were shown colour pictures of 50 different snack foods ranging from chips, chocolate bars and biscuits to nuts, fruits and vegetables.

They were asked to rate on a scale how much they would like to eat each food at the end of the experiment. Participants were then shown a number of different health warnings and asked to rate a similar set of 50 snack foods.

The research, published in the journals NeuroImage: Clinical and Appetite, found negative text combined with images was twice as effective at changing people's choices than messages that had negative text-only content or those with images combined with positive text.

In addition, participants' brain activity was monitored with electrodes attached to their heads. The study found warning labels prompted participants to exercise more self-control rather than act on impulse.

University of Melbourne researcher and study co-author Stefan Bode said: "The study shows that if you want to stop people choosing fatty and sugary packaged foods, health warnings actually work.

"It sheds light on the mechanisms in the brain that underlie the effects of health warning messages on food processing," Dr. Bode said.

Cancer Council Victoria behavioural researcher and study co-author Helen Dixon said the project has helped identify which types of health messages are most effective at prompting healthier food choices.

"Strong cues, like anticipated taste, tend to work on us in a more unconscious way, and therefore health messages need to disrupt these more impulsive, hedonistic responses to foods and make people consciously consider the health implications of their choices," Dr. Dixon said.

She called for the government to improve and make mandatory the Health Star Rating system on foods, which was launched in 2014 and aims to encourage consumers to make better food choices.

No amount of alcohol, sausage or bacon is safe, from me
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

If bacon causes cancer, just think what it does to the pigs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Reminds me of a quote I once read, but can't find these days for the attribution... The problem with science is that it perpetually discovers an ever diminishing level of risk in everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Lol - here's my response.

Come and get me, cancer. I'm living; not just surviving.

(man, are those idiots gonna feel stupid when they die of nothing)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Alcohol literally is straight poison. But everything else?

This goes here...

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CaptUSA again.

Someone cover me please

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CaptUSA again.

Someone cover me please
    Covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Covered.
    All it needs is some grits and a food processor
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I suspect the real cause of so much cancer is the radio active stuff that comes from all of those nuclear bomb tests they did.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    All it needs is some grits and a food processor
    That's what I'm talkin' about! We could call it Cancer Slop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I suspect the real cause of so much cancer is the radio active stuff that comes from all of those nuclear bomb tests they did.
    I read an article the other day about how third hand smoke causes the cancer. It's very dangerous. If someone smokes near your house, just tear it down and start over.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Why am I not surprised that this is the attitude the ancaps take?!

They told us banning smoking would beat cancer.
    Smoking has never been banned in the USA and people still smoke and get the types of cancers associated with smoking.

They told us eating the government approved foods would lower obesity and help us live longer.
    How many Americans actually followed the food pyramid?!

and we, as a people, are fatter, stupider, sicker and dying sooner than before.
    And aren't you alarmed by this?!!

If you ancaps don't care about yourselves, fine, but don't mock people who do. Some of us actually have self-respect and take personal responsibility.

Everything "causes cancer", the answer is to properly supply the body with what it needs to defend and repair itself.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    Why am I not surprised that this is the attitude the ancaps take?!

Smoking has never been banned in the USA and people still smoke and get the types of cancers associated with smoking.

How many Americans actually followed the food pyramid?!

If you ancaps don't care about yourselves, fine, but don't mock people who do. Some of us actually have self-respect and take personal responsibility.
    Who tipped over your rock?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Daily Mirror likes click bait. But all things in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Who tipped over your rock?
    Why aren't you happy to see me posting here again?

I wasn't happy the first go-round...

Have you learned any manners?

You were gone for almost two years, then you come back to post under a thread about how healthy eggs are, 4 hours after it was posted.. and the thread you started almost two years ago - Why Eggs Are NOT Healthy

It's all just a little curious.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Have you learned any manners?
    LOL, funny that's said about me. What bad manners was I doing?

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You were gone for almost two years, then you come back to post under a thread about how healthy eggs are, 4 hours after it was posted.. and the thread you started almost two years ago - Why Eggs Are NOT Healthy

It's all just a little curious.
    It's a conspiracy! Check your math, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Daily Mirror likes click bait.
    I think they knew it would stir people up and get the exact reaction we see on this thread.... that "nobody is taking my bacon and cigarettes!!!!11" reaction. That mindset reminds me a lot of my dad, who died a couple years ago of cancer/diabetes/congestive heart failure.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

I'm alarmed by people taking bad advice from zealots.

I'm alarmed by these same zealots, driven by evangelical self-righteousness, pushing and agitating and proselytizing for more government controls, restrictions and outright bans on different foods.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm alarmed by people taking bad advice from zealots.
    Aren't you alarmed about people taking bad advice from the RPF Health section?

I'm alarmed by these same zealots, driven by evangelical self-righteousness, pushing and agitating and proselytizing for more government controls, restrictions and outright bans on different foods.
    I'll fight for your right to eat unhealthy foods.

No level of Cancer Experts is healthy or safe for the population.

Yes, you read that right. Or maybe, read it again. Cancer Experts are becoming exactly the same as Govt, where the solutions proposed are far worse than the problem itself. Oh youre in debt? Solution is to take on more debt. Eyelash Cancer? Solution: Amputate your head. Corrupt politicians are causing war? Solution: MORE War! The message is always the same if you read between the lines. "You need us to regulate your lives, into oblivion".
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Lol - here's my response.

Come and get me, cancer. I'm living; not just surviving.

(man, are those idiots gonna feel stupid when they die of nothing)
    Amen, brother!
    "I am a bird"

New Cancer Report Tries To Scare You Out of Eating Sausage and Bacon
    Nevertheless, U.S. cancer rates are stable for women and declining for men.

"No amount of alcohol, sausage or bacon is safe," declares the Daily Mirror. The article is about the latest cancer prevention dietary guidelines from the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF), which isn't actually as alarmist as that sentence sounds. The WCRF report estimates that eating the equivalent of two strips of bacon a day would boost your risk of colorectal cancer by 16 percent. Translation: Eating about 38 pounds of bacon a year—or the equivalent weight in sausages and hot dogs—will raise your lifetime risk of colorectal cancer from about 4.5 percent to 5.2 percent for men and from 4.15 percent to 4.8 percent for women.

As far as alcohol goes, the WCRF estimates that drinking 20 grams of ethanol a day (a standard drink contains 14 grams) will increase your risk of colorectal cancer by 7 percent. Three drinks a day raises your risk of liver cancer by 6 percent. A mere 10 grams of alcohol per day increases your risk of esophageal cancer by 41 percent. And for women, drinking as little as 10 grams per day boosts their risk of breast cancer by 9 percent. So these relatively modest rates of tippling (absent other confounding factors) would increase your absolute lifetime risk colorectal cancer from 4.5 to 4.8 percent; liver cancer from 1 to 1.06 percent; esophageal cancer from 0.75 to 1 percent (if you're a man) or from 0.22 to 0.3 percent (if you're a woman); and breast cancer from 12.4 to 13.5 percent.

Meanwhile, a huge 2017 meta-analysis in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology finds significant health benefits from light to moderate drinking. For the purposes of the study, light drinking is defined as fewer than 3 drinks a week, moderate drinking is more than 3 and less than 14 drinks a week for men and less than 7 for women, and heavy drinking is more than 14 a week for men and more than 7 for women. To some extent, there is a trade-off between reduced cardiovascular risks and higher cancer risks. Some drinking may even help people avoid some cancers: Medscape reports of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology study that "light and moderate alcohol intake predicted reduced all-cause, cardiovascular, and cancer mortalities in both men and women."

For comparison, consider that the risk that persistent cigarette smokers will develop lung during their lifetimes is 1,100 percent greater than the risk that a nonsmoker will.

The WCRF also reports that being tall is a cancer risk. For every extra 2 and half inches over 5 feet and 2 inches in height, the WCRF finds that the risk of prostate cancer increases by 7 percent. My adult height is 6 feet 5 inches, suggesting that my risk of prostate cancer is up 40 percent. This boosts my lifetime risk for prostate cancer from 11 to a bit over 15 percent.

To mitigate these risks, the WCRF recommends: "Eat little, if any, processed meats" and "For cancer prevention, it's best not to drink alcohol." Noting the "people cannot necessarily influence" how tall they grow, the WCRF makes "no global recommendations" regarding cancer risks associated with stature.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/05/25/b...isk-of#comment

So if we are supposed to eat more fruits and vegetables, why are animals made out of meat?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    So if we are supposed to eat more fruits and vegetables, why are animals made out of meat?
    I eat plenty of fruits-n-vegetables along with the main course.