Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Nye Pushes Plan to Tax Animal Exhaust

Bill Nye Pushes Plan to Tax Animal Exhaust

You can always count on climate alarmists for a giggle, and you can definitely count on self-proclaimed “science guy” Bill Nye for a belly laugh. In an interview with the Daily Beast, Nye called for a carbon tax on agriculture, which would burden farmers, raise food prices, and do next-to-nothing about so-called global warming. Nye then had the audacity to laud the scheme as a “free-market” solution.
    “Well, this is what you do and it’s a win-win: to have a fee on carbon. So, if you are raising livestock and producing a lot of carbon dioxide with your farm equipment and the exhaust from the animals, then you would pay a fee on that and it would be reflected in the price of meat, reflected in the price of fish, reflected in the price of peanuts,” Nye said.
    Nye and other environmentalists believe that a large portion of the world’s supposed climate problem is because of our insistence on having meat in our diet. In 2010, the United Nations Environment Programme even advocated a switch to a global vegan diet to address world hunger and climate change. Nye is a vegan himself and has been vocal in advocating such a diet.
    Nye also absurdly claims that his proposed carbon tax is a free-market solution — because a free-market depends on social engineering and government intrusion, apparently.
    “This would be a free-market way to reckon the real cost of a meat diet to the world,” Nye claimed. “But conservatives now are against such a thing because they’re against any regulation, any tax or any government involvement in anything. But again, it won’t last, and a carbon fee would be a fantastic thing for the world.”

Of course, what the “science guy” is advocating is ridiculous on many levels. Nye seems to be saying that his proposed carbon fee would raise the price of meat and encourage more vegetarianism and veganism. Ok, but what about the exhaust-producing animals? If we aren’t killing and eating some of them, won’t they continue to reproduce, growing their numbers even larger, and exacerbating the problem of their belching and flatulence? Or is Nye proposing to do away with the animals in some environmentally friendly way?
    And just what about any of this is free-market? In a free market, goods and services are determined by the market and what consumers are willing to pay for those things. A carbon tax would be completely antithetical to a free market since it would artificially raise prices. Bill Nye may or may not be a “science guy”; but he is certainly not an “economics guy.”
    While Nye’s proposal would probably cause mass starvation and food riots, especially in the third world where food options are much more limited, the fact is that it would do next to nothing to solve global warming.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/...animal-exhaust
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess his "science" doesn't realize that farm equipment is used to grow vegetables a LOT more than it's used for meat.
    I propose a 200% tax on vegetables with a deduction for meat consumption!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Bill Nye is full of hot air:

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You can always count on climate alarmists for a giggle, and you can definitely count on self-proclaimed “science guy” Bill Nye for a belly laugh. In an interview with the Daily Beast, Nye called for a carbon tax on agriculture, which would burden farmers, raise food prices, and do next-to-nothing about so-called global warming. Nye then had the audacity to laud the scheme as a “free-market” solution.
    “Well, this is what you do and it’s a win-win: to have a fee on carbon. So, if you are raising livestock and producing a lot of carbon dioxide with your farm equipment and the exhaust from the animals, then you would pay a fee on that and it would be reflected in the price of meat, reflected in the price of fish, reflected in the price of peanuts,” Nye said.
    Nye and other environmentalists believe that a large portion of the world’s supposed climate problem is because of our insistence on having meat in our diet. In 2010, the United Nations Environment Programme even advocated a switch to a global vegan diet to address world hunger and climate change. Nye is a vegan himself and has been vocal in advocating such a diet.
    Nye also absurdly claims that his proposed carbon tax is a free-market solution — because a free-market depends on social engineering and government intrusion, apparently.
    “This would be a free-market way to reckon the real cost of a meat diet to the world,” Nye claimed. “But conservatives now are against such a thing because they’re against any regulation, any tax or any government involvement in anything. But again, it won’t last, and a carbon fee would be a fantastic thing for the world.”

Of course, what the “science guy” is advocating is ridiculous on many levels. Nye seems to be saying that his proposed carbon fee would raise the price of meat and encourage more vegetarianism and veganism. Ok, but what about the exhaust-producing animals? If we aren’t killing and eating some of them, won’t they continue to reproduce, growing their numbers even larger, and exacerbating the problem of their belching and flatulence? Or is Nye proposing to do away with the animals in some environmentally friendly way?
    And just what about any of this is free-market? In a free market, goods and services are determined by the market and what consumers are willing to pay for those things. A carbon tax would be completely antithetical to a free market since it would artificially raise prices. Bill Nye may or may not be a “science guy”; but he is certainly not an “economics guy.”
    While Nye’s proposal would probably cause mass starvation and food riots, especially in the third world where food options are much more limited, the fact is that it would do next to nothing to solve global warming.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/...animal-exhaust
    I agree with the conclusion but I think it would help reduce global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Cocky Locky believes chicken little? You'd better watch out for foxy loxy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Cocky Locky believes chicken little? You'd better watch out for foxy loxy.
    You don't think a lot of people dying in the third world would reduce global warming?

You don't think a lot of people dying in the third world would reduce global warming?
    Global Warming is controlled by the sun and other similarly immense natural systems, the death of every human on the planet wouldn't affect it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Global Warming is controlled by the sun and other similarly immense natural systems, the death of every human on the planet wouldn't affect it.
    The human bean is a similarly immense natural system. There is a reason why people who have money have bomb shelters and they are so popular right now. World war 3 will cause long term climate change, man made.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The human bean is a similarly immense natural system. There is a reason why people who have money have bomb shelters and they are so popular right now. World war 3 will cause long term climate change, man made.
    Bomb shelter will not protect you.

I agree with his conclusions on Global Climate Change or even that Americans eat meat excessively, but I don't agree with his half assed solution and I'm not sure he's even being serious. Part of the problem is modern media doesn't have time to discuss nuance in issues and I've seen Nye cut short when trying to do so.

Other things could be looked into:

Can Cow feed / diet be altered to reduce these emissions? Is there a difference between Grass Fed Beef versus Grain versus uhhh.... Candy Fed Beef (yes I'm serious, $#@!ing leftover Candy) ?

Perhaps Mega-Farms need to be broken up? If your food is close to you, Cows or other animals don't have to ride miles down the highway in a semitruck trailer. Or in the case of Frozen Meat in a refrigerated trailer requiring more Diesel. I suppose the same applies to all Dairy products.

Why are Americans eating so much Beef in general?

Are other meat sources like Chicken less harmful for emissions?

Americans tend to eat out a lot or on the go so they're kind of at the mercy of what restaurants offer. I think there needs to be a creative approach to influences that are entrenched in American cuisine. In fact, many local restaurants' very appeal is built around Meat offerings such as Buffalo Wild Wings or Red Lobster. Would it in fact be worth enticing Americans to shift dining out preferences to these Non-Beef choices if Poultry or Seafood are less environmentally harmful?

Even aside from Meat, portions in Restaurants for entrees are often quite ridiculous even for something Nye might approve of like a Salad. A Dinner salad in a restaurant is often a big ass bowl with enough for 3 people.

Final thought, I think the American diet is a mess as a symptom of our economy influencing our society. Even for myself as a Truck Driver, I've often grabbed a burger to go out of shear convenience to eat while driving between job sites. If Americans have much more free time and money and less worry, they could probably have less of a tendency to go for quick convenience food.

To hell with all these people telling me what to eat. Eat what you like, or don't. Leave me out of it.

That sound like you have faith in pseudoscience.

not to mention that a bit of warming would be nice,, but the cycle is cooling now.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    I guess his "science" doesn't realize that farm equipment is used to grow vegetables a LOT more than it's used for meat.
    I propose a 200% tax on vegetables with a deduction for meat consumption!
    And what exactly is it that cows eat generally ? Grass-fed cows eat grass of course, so there you're mostly right. With cows that get fed soy and grains, I'm very sorry to tell but those may not be vegetables as such but they do require lots of fuel to be grown, and, several pounds of it, go into a lb of meat. So, unless your cow eats naturally grown grass from a field, it does cost more fuel to produce.

I am lucky btw, if I look outside of my window, I see some cows snacking on grass, they are milk cows however. The meat cows are on a different field. Like I said, I'm lucky... Fresh milk, yoghurt, cheese, beef and eggs, a 300ft walk, fresh from the farm. Many different vegetables directly from the farmer in a mile. Oh, and I live close enough to the sea to get fresh fish that came out of the sea a few hours earlier... No clue what this has to do with the topic, but I'm happy.
    "I am a bird"

Bill Nye grew up rich and this is the only way he knows how to control other people. He graduated from Sidwell Friends school and the only thing *science* about him is his Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from Cornell. He does not have an earned degree in science and i'm not aware that he did any graduate work at all.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Remember these things???

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I don't know whether Nye is an idiot or just a corrupt tool of the so-called "left", but his "science" isn't.

Why is it that the people in this world who need the most to be severely beaten with iron bars rarely, if ever, are?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    That sound like you have faith in pseudoscience.

not to mention that a bit of warming would be nice,, but the cycle is cooling now.
    It's not faith that people create heat. You don't have to go into a packed Ron Paul rally in a small building to learn that. I have sweat enough in those to tell the difference in temperature with and without people.

You also don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that not putting up a windshield Sun shade in your car to block the sun means your car is going to be 50% hotter then without it. Now maybe where you live getting hotter would be nice, but where I live bird and bat populations are disappearing entirely.
    Last edited by nikcers; 05-25-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Well, yeah. Kill a bunch of people and the end result will be less pollution. Evil, but logical.

It's not faith that people create heat. You don't have to go into a packed Ron Paul rally in a small building to learn that. I have sweat enough in those to tell the difference in temperature with and without people.

You also don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that not putting up a windshield Sun shade in your car to block the sun means your car is going to be 50% hotter then without it. Now maybe where you live getting hotter would be nice, but where I live birds and bat populations a disappearing entirely.
    And it is the SUN that heats the earth.. Man has no control of the SUN or it's cycles..

The earth periodically warms and cools.. It is the natural state of things and has been happening regardless of mans technology.

And a warm room full of people is not the Globe.. It is a closed space.

Seriously? Rooms of Ron Paul supporters are warming the planet????

take a deep breath and clear your head.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

And it is the SUN that heats the earth.. Man has no control of the SUN or it's cycles..

The earth periodically warms and cools.. It is the natural state of things and has been happening regardless of mans technology.

And a warm room full of people is not the Globe.. It is a closed space.

Seriously? Rooms of Ron Paul supporters are warming the planet????

take a deep breath and clear your head.
    Man has no control over the water cycle? We mastered control over water thousands of years ago. The reason why ice isn't blocking as much sun is because its not getting replaced because it doesn't rain in areas where ice would be created normally. I used the analogy because you are trying to argue that thermal dynamics is pseudo science, Ron Paul was a doctor, a man of science.

There are also geothermic factors and volcanic releases into the atmosphere...

I would argue that humans are capable of affecting the atmosphere and, in turn, the climate. But to what degree? These scientists have never been able to answer that question. Not even a rough estimate. Are humans responsible for 2% of the climate? 25%? Judging from most of these idiots, you'd think it was 100%!

But let's say they were able to come to a consensus on the percentage caused by humans - the next question would be how much are we willing to give up in order to affect a 25% change to our 2% impact??
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Man has no control over the water cycle?
    Nope..

It still works with or without him.

Rain falls.. evaporates,, and falls again.. ever since the Flood. It's a cycle that man can only deal with.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Nope..

It still works with or without him.

Rain falls.. evaporates,, and falls again.. ever since the Flood. It's a cycle that man can only deal with.
    Yeah but we can make it rain, and we can make it- not rain.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

But let's say they were able to come to a consensus on the percentage caused by humans - the next question would be how much are we willing to give up in order to affect a 25% change to our 2% impact??
    It is not relevant.
    The Pseudoscience behind this is bull$#@!,, and they re-phrase it when caught.

Man will come to the end in WAR.. not from climate.. as if we seriously could affect planet wide change (now that is some arrogance)

This whole issue is about Control.. about implementing the goals of a few elitists.

It ain't science.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are also geothermic factors and volcanic releases into the atmosphere...

I would argue that humans are capable of affecting the atmosphere and, in turn, the climate. But to what degree? These scientists have never been able to answer that question. Not even a rough estimate. Are humans responsible for 2% of the climate? 25%? Judging from most of these idiots, you'd think it was 100%!

A lot of it has to do with how much water we use, don't get me wrong there are natural causes of climate change. When we put millions of millions of people in places with no water and pump water into those places, and huge amount of water gets displaced and evaporated in different regions in the world it speeds up the water cycle and then it causes droughts

When there is a drought in places that usually create these giant shields of ice that block the sun it doesn't block as much sun so it has a lot more to do with the fact that the sun isn't getting blocked as much, and less to do with the heat getting trapped in the atmosphere because of gases that block the heat from escaping.

Yeah but we can make it rain, and we can make it- not rain.
    NO you Can't..

You can sometimes trigger precipitation IF there is water present..

If the air is simply too dry ,,, all the seeding won't work.

And you can't stop a Monsoon.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

DUDE.

They can not even reliably predict the weather tomorrow. They pretend to,, and are wrong often.. reliably wrong.

You want me to believe that they can predict weather in the future when they can not predict the week.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

A lot of it has to do with...
    How much is "a lot"??

Please answer that. It doesn't have to be an exact number - just an estimate - but please provide some scientific info to back up your estimate. Otherwise, you're just buying into the Bull$#@!.

NO you Can't..

You can sometimes trigger precipitation IF there is water present..

If the air is simply too dry ,,, all the seeding won't work.

And you can't stop a Monsoon.

How much is "a lot"??

Please answer that. It doesn't have to be an exact number - just an estimate - but please provide some scientific info to back up your estimate. Otherwise, you're just buying into the Bull$#@!.
    Not buying bull$#@!, we can't measure what the temperature is like on this planet without the ice sheets because they are still here. All we can do is look at climate records when there weren't giant ice sheets blocking the sun and look at average temperatures and see if they go up.

We could probably measure just how much heat the ice sheets/caps block but I don't know if that would change the climate everywhere, I am sure in some places the world would be more habitable, but I think that more habitable places will become inhabitable, it will be hell on earth in some places. We might be able to produce something similar to block the sun, something man man artificially kind of like GMO corn that doesn't have to be pollinated by bees,

I think man can find a solution for mother nature not being there to do everything for us. Just imagine all the resources under all the ice that the people in charge are going to be able to get after the ice melts too, thats the real conspiracy, and the people who are going to be making all the money are saying that global warming doesn't exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast