Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump cancels meeting with Kim Jong Un

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Keep in mind NK was threatening to cancel anyway, so maybe he thinks canceling the summit before they do preserves his image, or he counts on NK having no other option but to beg for a new summit. So maybe that's his logic.

We're never leaving Asia though, including SK and Japan, so what difference does it really make either way?
    First there is matter of national insult, top White House officials travelled to Singapore for summit prep and NK did not show up and did not even bother to inform our team that they will be not showing up.

Then there is matter of this growing demand from peace loving base of our national leader's party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFNL_nfH6Vk

And to be fair, if their guy can win peace awards, why shouldn't ours?

Yes, Kim Jong Un is receiving an international peace prize

By Adam Taylor August 3, 2015

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un visits the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun, where the statues of President Kim Il Sung and leader Kim Jong Il are standing during the 62nd anniversary of the end of the Korean War in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang on July 27. (KCNA via Reuters)

Kim Jong Un is hardly a man short on accolades – the problem is, most are given out by the North Korean state. Later this year, however, the North Korean leader will finally gain some international recognition, joining the likes of Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi and India’s Mahatma Gandhi in receiving a statesmanship award from an Indonesian-based organization.
    The accolade, given out by the Bali-based Sukarno Education Foundation, honors Kim for his "peace, justice and humanity," Agence France Presse reports. The North Korean leader is due to receive the award in September.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...l-peace-prize/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Fake News Alert

Fake News Alert
    You are quantifiably wrong.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You are quantifiably wrong.
    Do go on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Do go on.
    Donald Trump has negotiated billions of dollars, very few people on earth have done this.

He started with 14 million, and is now up to at minimum $3 billion in assets according to Forbes, but possibly much higher. Plenty of lotto winners get more than 14 million and end up losing it all.

Also according to Forbes, his net worth went down by $400 million (almost a half a billion!!) just this year since he has been so busy being President.

That just shows you how important he thinks what he is doing is, being President will end up costing him billions of dollars.. he is doing it because he sincerely wants to see America do better and ungrateful $#@!s like you will still benefit heavily from being in office, even though you don't deserve a god damn thing. You deserve to live in Hillary's $#@!hole.

So again, you are quantifiably wrong and you have no credibility and you live in a leftist echo chamber that has zero basis in reality.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-25-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    and you have no credibility ...
    Ahem... why don't you just put credibility in the things that the Count says that you like and give him no credibility in the things you don't like? That seems to work out. In fact, that's how you build credibility on forums!

I put a lot of trust in the statements that he says that I like, and much less or zero trust in the statements that he says that I don't like.

That sounds kinda weird, but it actually ends up being pretty accurate in the longrun.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Ahem... why don't you just put credibility in the things that the Count says that you like and give him no credibility in the things you don't like? That seems to work out. In fact, that's how you build credibility on forums!
    Because he has, maybe, one good post out of 20 or 40, and I think the intention of those posts is for gaining credibility and I'm not convinced he believes what he says.

Donald Trump has negotiated billions of dollars, very few people on earth have done this.

He started with 14 million, and is now up to at minimum $3 billion in assets according to Forbes, but possibly much higher. Plenty of lotto winners get more than 14 million and end up losing it all.

Also according to Forbes, his net worth went down by $400 million (almost a half a billion!!) just this year since he has been so busy being President.

That just shows you how important he thinks what he is doing is, being President will end up costing him billions of dollars.. he is doing it because he sincerely wants to see America do better and ungrateful $#@!s like you will still benefit heavily from being in office, even though you don't deserve a god damn thing. You deserve to live in Hillary's $#@!hole.

So again, you are quantifiably wrong and you have no credibility and you live in a leftist echo chamber that has zero basis in reality.

Precisely zero examples of his bigly historical winnings due to his negotiating skills. So much for quantifiable.

But you did manage to find a bunch of room to fit in your typical hero worship and the mandatory BUT HILLARY reference.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

At one point I was under the impression that people joined here because they liked liberty and peace, and despised warlords.

Now I see posters all but directly expressing their desire for warlords with jingoistic propaganda. What is this?

Sad!
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    At one point I was under the impression that people joined here because they liked liberty and peace, and despised warlords.

Now I see posters all but directly expressing their desire for warlords with jingoistic propaganda. What is this?

Sad!
    One can love peace and still admire strength.
    Strength is required for peace.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I try to remain objective.

There are Trump and non Trump partisans here.

I thought that reaching out to Northern Korea, in an effort to avoid conflict, war and further aggression, in addition to maybe, someday, FFS, bring our forces home, was a bold move.

I remain hopeful that continuing negotiations will bring Kim back to the table and that ultimately, Trump is successful.

That's not blind partisanship nor TDS.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post

Sad!
    Agree.
    There is no spoon.

Precisely zero examples of his bigly historical winnings due to his negotiating skills. So much for quantifiable.

That is the most retarded thing I've ever read, you must work for the government.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That is the most retarded thing I've ever read, you must work for the government.
    Careful, dannno- people usually call others what they are themselves.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Careful, dannno- people usually call others what they are themselves.
    That only applies to leftists like TheCount.

People who work in the free market as opposed to government jobs or who are on welfare generally have a better understanding of how value is required to be provided in order to amass wealth. Trump's value to his companies was primarily his negotiating skills and he made a lot of money.

To argue that Trump has poor negotiating skills is like arguing that the best golfer in the world is bad at golf. It is, literally, retarded.

I have been saying all along that Korea will never give up their nukes. Trump is wasting his time. But he wants a photo op and so does Kim.

To argue that Trump has poor negotiating skills is like arguing that the best golfer in the world is bad at golf. It is, literally, retarded.
    First, no one argued that Trump has poor negotiating skills. Quite the opposite, you argued that Trump has excellent negotiating skills. So good, in fact, that anything that he does is, by definition, good negotiation.

Your golf analogy is a poor one. The world's best golfer is quantifiably good at golf. One could quote records, games, scores, etc. Although you state that Trump is quantifiably good at negotiating, you are unable to quantify his skill. Instead, all you have is a tautology.

"Trump's negotiations are good because Trump is a good negotiator."

Which, with the slightest bit of critical thought, is actually:

"Trump is a good negotiator because Trump says that he is a good negotiator."

People like you believing the things that he says, even when they are objectively false, is the actual value that he brought to his brand.

It's adorable that you believe that Trump's alleged positive qualities are so self-evident and obvious that you state them as objective, quantifiable fact... Then, when pressed to actually substantiate the thing that you stated, you are unable to do so. I wonder if you ever realize that your beliefs have no basis in fact, or if your reflexive defensiveness is really all that you know.
    Pinochet is the model

First, no one argued that Trump has poor negotiating skills.

A day after President Trump declared that the historic summit planned between the US and North Korea had been cancelled, Trump appeared to pull off another pivot on Friday when he kept hopes of a meeting alive, saying that the Singapore meeting may still happen as scheduled on June 12, just hours after North Korea said they are very eager to get back to the negotiating table, and that the only reason for Pyongyang's harsh language was because it was responding to similar language by the US.

"We'll see what happens," Trump told reporters at the White House on his way to Annapolis adding that "it could even be the 12th. We're talking to them now. They very much want to do it. We'd like to do it. We'll see what happens" and then explained his negotiating strategy: "everybody plays games."
    "We're going to see what happens, we're talking to them now."

President Trump says North Korea summit with Kim Jong-un could still be possible on 12 June https://t.co/eMeK1Oyldi pic.twitter.com/BRjgtAnmeT
    — BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) May 25, 2018
    Trump credited the North's "very nice statement" for prompting the US to reconsider its cancellation.
    Shortly after, Reuters reported that Mattis echoed Trump's optimismsaying that he had received "possibly good news" on the June 12 summit which "may be on if diplomats can pull it off."

• MATTIS SAYS RECEIVED POSSIBLY GOOD NEWS ON N.KOREA SUMMIT: RTRS
    • MATTIS SAYS SUMMIT MAY BE ON IF DIPLOMATS CAN PULL IT OFF: RTRS

Earlier in the day, Trump welcomed the conciliatory statement from North Korea saying it remained open to talks. Trump tweeted "Very good news to receive the warm and productive statement from North Korea. We will soon see where it will lead, hopefully to long and enduring prosperity and peace. Only time (and talent) will tell!"

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05-25/north-korea

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Your golf analogy is a poor one. The world's best golfer is quantifiably good at golf. One could quote records, games, scores, etc. Although you state that Trump is quantifiably good at negotiating, you are unable to quantify his skill. Instead, all you have is a tautology.

"Trump's negotiations are good because Trump is a good negotiator."

Which, with the slightest bit of critical thought, is actually:

"Trump is a good negotiator because Trump says that he is a good negotiator."
    Wrong.

You've got to be the lowest value poster in the world. Even zippy, occasionally, posts something with some factual basis, or at least it could have some factual basis - there is at least an appearance of a factual basis.

All you post is cancer slop.

You made the claim. I asked you for evidence of his his alleged skill. You gave none.
    Pinochet is the model

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You made the claim. I asked you for evidence of his his alleged skill. You gave none.
    Of course I gave evidence, but apparently you are a leftist or something and don't understand that making that much money in his position requires very good negotiation skills. Try working for somebody besides the government.

North Korea's president Kim Jong Un held a surprise two-hour second summit with South Korean President Moon Jae-in at the truce village of Panmunjom on Saturday afternoon to pave way for a summit between North Korea and the United States.
    The South Korean presidential office said the two leaders met at the DPRK side of the border village of Panmunjom from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm local time on Saturday, where they "candidly discussed the potential Trump-Kim summit", and exchanged their opinions on implementing the April 27 Panmunjom Declaration.

Moon will release the result of the summit at 10:00 a.m. local time on Sunday, South Korea's Blue House said, without elaborating further.
    The two leaders previously met on the South Korean side of Panmunjom on April 27, reaching a historic agreement on the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and the change of the current armistice agreement into a peace treaty.

Their second summit came after U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday that the United States will possibly reinstate the meeting with Kim. Late on Friday Trump said that "we are having very productive talks with North Korea about reinstating the Summit which, if it does happen, will likely remain in Singapore on the same date, June 12th., and, if necessary, will be extended beyond that date."

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...president-moon

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The White House said on Saturday its pre-advance team for the U.S.-North Korea summit will head to Singapore as scheduled, signaling that the high-stakes meeting President Donald Trump abruptly cancelled just days ago could be back on track.

More at: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/26/whit...scheduled.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If our visionary leader succeeded in getting NK to give up its nukes, that would be huge win, put Nobel Prize win back in the play and negate this narrative spreading in media:

MJ guest suggests President Trump has never succeeded at making a good deal

Donald Trump, deal-breaker in chief

The Editorial Board, USA Today Published 3:31 p.m. ET May 24, 2018

President Donald Trump calls the summit's cancellation a "tremendous setback" for North Korea and the world. USA TODAY

North Korea summit joins the art of the deal-breaking list of Paris climate accord, TPP, Iran nuclear deal, NAFTA, DACA: Our view

(Photo: Evan Vucci, AP)

Thursday's collapse of a highly anticipated nuclear summit between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is a stark and disturbing reminder of the chasm between what the president says he can do and reality.
    Trump sold himself to voters as the great negotiator, the ultimate problem-solver. "I alone can fix it," he said in his acceptance remarks at the Republican convention about rigged systems.
    The pitch worked. Supporters rightly fed up with years of congressional gridlock and a declining manufacturing base were certain that Trump would make great deals. Was he not, after all, the billionaire real estate wheeler-dealer whose name was synonymous with gold-plated success?

But after 16 months as president, Trump has shown himself less talented at making new deals than at breaking existing ones. The list of broken or endangered agreements keeps growing: The Paris climate accord. The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement. The Iran nuclear deal. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy.
    In other words, Trump's pretty good at deal-breaking.It's deal-making where he stumbles:

If it just ended with phot op and NK kept its nukes, it will be major win for NK's Peace Prize winning leader who wanted recognition and meetings with top US leaders without giving up nukes.

Nukes are the only reason Trump is paying them any attention. They aren't going to give them all up. Then they have nothing again. With them, they are somebody.

President Donald Trump said a plan for a June 12 summit in Singapore with Kim Jong Un "hasn't changed" and the North Korean leader reiterated his commitment to the historic meeting. South Korean President Moon Jae-in, after meeting Saturday with the regime leader, told reporters Sunday "that Chairman Kim and I have agreed that the June 12 summit should be held successfully, and that our quest for the Korean peninsula's denuclearisation and a perpetual peace regime should not be halted."

Trump said arrangements are "moving along very nicely," including sessions Sunday in North Korea. Trump made the comments Saturday night about the summit from the Oval Office as he welcomed Josh Holt, an American prisoner released by Venezuela.
    "A lot of people are working on it," Trump said. "It's moving along very nicely. We're looking at June 12 in Singapore. That hasn't changed. And it's moving along pretty well, so we'll see what happens."
    On Sunday, a U.S. advance team departed Japan and arrived at Tongilgak in North Korea -- north of the demilitarized zoned -- for planning meetings that are expected to continue Monday and Tuesday, Heather Nauert, a State Department spokesman, told The Washington Post.

Trump said preparation meetings are going on "as we speak in a certain location which I won't name, like the location, it's not very far from here."

More at: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...8891527427921/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Of course I gave evidence, but apparently you are a leftist or something and don't understand that making that much money in his position requires very good negotiation skills. Try working for somebody besides the government.
    The very definition of circular logic.
    Pinochet is the model

The very definition of leftist logic.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You should know.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

South Korean President Moon Jae-in could make a trip to Singapore for a three-way summit with his U.S. and North Korean counterparts next month, depending on the outcome of ongoing discussions between Washington and Pyongyang, a ranking government official here said Monday.
    The trip, if made, will likely be made around June 12 when U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un are scheduled to hold their bilateral summit, the official from Seoul’s presidential office Cheong Wa Dae said.
    “The discussions are just getting started, so we are still waiting to see how they come out, but depending on their outcome, the president could join President Trump and Chairman Kim in Singapore,” the official told Yonhap News Agency, while speaking on condition of anonymity.

More at: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news...003800315.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast