Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 73 Percent of Americans Are ‘Scared’ to Use Driverless Cars

73 Percent of Americans Are ‘Scared’ to Use Driverless Cars

73 percent of American drivers, up 10 percent from last year, are “scared” to use driverless vehicles, according to a survey from the American Automobile Association.

“The millennial demographic has been the most affected, according to the survey of more than 1,000 drivers. From that age group, 64 percent said they’re too afraid to ride in an autonomous vehicle, up from 49 percent — making it the biggest increase of any age group surveyed,” Mashable reported, adding, “This data follows similar trends showing increased fear about self-driving vehicles following the deadly March crashes in the Bay Area and Arizona.”

More at: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/0...iverless-cars/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They'll come around after some friendly coercion from Big Bro and the automakers.

I am not scared and have zero intention of using one .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am not scared and have zero intention of using one .
    Ever.

I wasn't planning on using one anyway.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I know where this is headed. The media will begin regularly reporting cars hitting pedestrians and that someone must do something. After outrage after outrage some cities, like NYC will begin ban driving your car into the city in favor of driverless cars. The media will continue to hype every incident for this end result to make it a political issue at the federal level and of course Presidential politics.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Ever.
    Correct .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I know where this is headed. The media will begin regularly reporting cars hitting pedestrians and that someone must do something. After outrage after outrage some cities, like NYC will begin ban driving your car into the city in favor of driverless cars. The media will continue to hype every incident for this end result to make it a political issue at the federal level and of course Presidential politics.
    History repeats. Once upon a time citizens and media decried the evil automobile and it's carnage that it caused to pedestrians and horse carriages. Some towns even banning them. Then enough money passed hands and.....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    History repeats. Once upon a time citizens and media decried the evil automobile and it's carnage that it caused to pedestrians and horse carriages. Some towns even banning them. Then enough money passed hands and.....
    The difference being it will be the other way around. The cars hitting pedestrians I was speaking of are self driving cars. The driverless innovation will be welcomed and mandated, while self driving your car will be banned.

Things have gone from bad to worse for Tesla and its autopilot feature, after the police results from a recent Salt Lake City crash were released, indicating that not only was the car was in Autopilot mode when it crashed into a stopped firetruck, but also that it sped up seconds before the moment of impact.

The police report was detailed as follows:
    A Tesla Model S that crashed into a parked firetruck on a Utah highway this month while in its Autopilot mode sped up prior to the accident, a police report says.
    Data retrieved from the sedan shows that it picked up speed for 3.5 seconds shortly before the collision in South Jordan, according to the Associated Press. The acceleration from 55 mph to 60 mph suggests that the Tesla had been following a slower car that then moved out of the way, allowing the Tesla to resume the higher speed that the Autopilot system had been set at.
    Furthermore, the car did not warn the driver ahead of the collision, even as the driver may have been taking a cue from Elon's Model 3 reveal, where he told people they could "sleep" in their car: to wit, the driver had her hands off the wheel for 80 seconds and was admittedly looking at her cell phone at the moment of the crash:
    The driver, Heather Lommatzsch, told police that she had been looking at her phone and claimed the Tesla did not provide any warnings that it was about to crash. The car’s log said that her hands had been off of the steering wheel for 80 seconds leading up to the impact, and that she applied the brakes less than a second before hitting the firetruck, which was blocking the lane to protect the scene of a previous accident.
    Lommatzsch said she had owned the car for two years and used the semi-autonomous Autopilot feature on all sorts of roadways, including on the Utah highway where she crashed, according to the report. She said the car did not provide any audio or visual warnings before the crash. A witness told police she did not see signs the car illuminated its brake lights or swerved to avoid the truck ahead of it. Meanwhile, the NTSB said it is investigating the May 11 crash.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...rked-firetruck

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm waiting for the new "driverless" motorcycle. It's going to be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I'm waiting for the new "driverless" motorcycle. It's going to be awesome.
    No doubt with a properly dressed dummy to boot and controlled by ones smartphone. Instead of online video games there will be packs of these all controlled from the comfort of ones home while the players communicate through teamspeak.

Flashback:

https://timeline.com/forget-self-dri...r-55a770262c10

Forget self-driving car anxiety: In the early days human drivers were the fear

With all the anxiety around driverless cars lately, it’s worth remembering there was a time people worried about cars exactly because they had human drivers. In fact, it was the removal of the horses—the horseless carriage—that gave some people fits.

In the 1890s, the prospect of a person driving without the aid of a second intelligence was a real concern. A horse, or team of horses, acted as a crude form of cruise control and collision aversion.

In 1896 Alfred Sennett warned, “We should not overlook the fact that the driving of a horseless carriage calls for a larger amount of attention for he has not the advantage of the intelligence of the horse in shaping his path, and it is consequently incumbent upon him to be ever watchful of the course his vehicle is taking.”

Distracted driving is the number one cause of accidents today, so maybe it wasn’t a bad point. Although he was forgetting automobiles actually had brakes, unlike a horse and cart—and they didn’t scare.

But speed was the biggest concern. A horse-drawn cart traveled between 10 and 15 miles per hour. With the advent of automobiles, people could suddenly move much faster. Such speeds meant more danger, but early limits were more prohibitive than preventative.

In England an old law dubbed the Red Flag Act required self-propelled vehicles to be led at walking pace by someone waving a red flag. In 1895, The New York Times very aptly pointed out that it served to “destroy the usefulness of a horseless carriage.” The law was written before automobiles, specifically for steam-powered locomotives (below left), but it was so broad it applied to horseless carriages when they emerged .

You didn’t need a horse anymore, but now you not only needed someone to wave a flag, but also two mechanics to boot, or you would be violating the law. The act also limited automobiles to 2MPH in the city and 4MPH in the countryside, meaning you could travel faster by bicycle.

It was an old law applied to a new technology in a way that removed the benefits it offered. In England, it served to kill the market for horseless carriages for a time. A chairman of a UK meeting on the subject was quoted in The New York Times saying, “So long as the present state of the law existed no man would invest his capital in the manufacture of horseless carriages or run the risk of being brought before a police court.”

There was a concerted effort to repeal the Red Flag Act. A man named John Henry Knight fought the law, in some cases through civil disobedience. In 1895 he built a vehicle specifically to garner police attention and in turn raise public awareness of the old law. A year later, in 1896, it was repealed and replaced with the Locomotives on Highways Act 1896, which allowed vehicles to travel between 12 and 14 miles per hour, depending on what local governments allowed. There was an “emancipation rally,” where crowds gathered and a well-known politician tore up a red flag. It is still celebrated today.
    More at link.

you will have to pay triple liability insurance if you don't drive a driverless car just watch
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Yet another Tesla on Autopilot has slammed into an inanimate object.
    One of the biggest controversies surrounding Tesla right now is the company's Autopilot feature that it is included with vehicles and sold to the public as a feature that provides autonomous driving. Critics of the company have been quick to point out that at the Model 3 handover event, Elon Musk basically said that people could "sleep" while in their cars with Autopilot engaged - and as the toll of accidents involving Autopilot continues to accelerate, it is becoming more and more obvious that this isn’t even close to being the case.

The latest incident was this morning, where it was reported on Twitter by Laguna Beach police that a Model S sedan traveling with the Autopilot function on slammed into a parked Laguna Beach police car. The Laguna Beach police department tweeted the news along with photographs:
    This morning a Tesla sedan driving outbound Laguna Canyon Road in “autopilot” collides with a parked @LagunaBeachPD unit. Officer was not in the unit at the time of the crash and minor injuries were sustained to the Tesla driver. #lagunabeach #police #tesla pic.twitter.com/7sAs8VgVQ3
    — Laguna Beach PD PIO (@LBPD_PIO_45) May 29, 2018
    As The LA Times reported, Laguna police Sgt. Jim Cota said, "thankfully there was not an officer at the time in the police car," adding that "the police car is totaled."
    However, Cota said that a year ago in the same area there was another collision involving a Tesla running into a semi-truck.
    "Why do these vehicles keep doing that?" Cota said.
    "We're just lucky that people aren't getting injured."
    Critics continue to point to Elon Musk's statements during the Model 3 handover event, where he basically told a crowd that Tesla vehicles are capable of driving themselves, allowing operators to "watch movies, talk to friends [and] go to sleep" while at the wheel.
    "In the future, really - the future being now - the cars will be increasingly autonomous. So, you won't really need to look at an instrument panel all that often, you'll be able to do whatever you want. You'll be able to watch movies, talk to friends, go to sleep. Every Tesla being produced now, the Model 3, the Model S, the Model X, has all the hardware necessary for full autonomy."
    How could this keep happening? Yesterday, video was posted showing what is allegedly a Tesla in Autopilot mode having a bout of "confusion" when the road being traveled changes from a straight road past a section on a highway that offers an exit by the road dividing. The video appears to show the car unable to determine which lane to stay in and nearly hitting the center median that divides the roadway from the exit.
    The Tesla autopilot crashing bug (literally). In lane split, gets confused and dives at the divider. pic.twitter.com/oMw3teGnL4
    — Manish Vij (@manish_vij) May 27, 2018
    Today's incident comes after a report we put out just yesterday noting that a driver's Model 3 European tour had been cut short because the driver claimed that the vehicle veered into the median while driving in Greece.
    The accident involves driver You You Xue, who in early 2018 famously toured his Model 3 across North America after he bought it in order to show other reservation holders what it looked like. That road trip was documented in all of its glory on electrek and was presented as a feel-good story. You You felt so good that he decided to repeat the trip across Europe to continue to garner free publicity for the Model 3. This trip was less of a resounding success, and ended with the car driving itself into a median in Greece.

On You You's Facebook page, he tells the story of the crash:
    The road trip is over. I'm sorry.
    Vehicle was engaged on Autopilot at 120 km/h. Car suddenly veered right without warning and crashed into the centre median (edit: divider at the exit fork). Both wheels (edit: one wheel) completely shattered, my door wouldn't even open correctly. I'm unharmed.
    The driver also posted photos of the fork in the road where the accident took place.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-beach-cop-car

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Another day, another mysterious Tesla vehicle crash...

Bloomberg reports that a Tesla vehicle crashed into five parked cars in the Brussels borough of Saint-Gilles Tuesday, with the driver reportedly having said he was outside the car, with the engine running, as it drove away.
    Police said it received a call for an incident involving a Tesla and other cars in the early evening of May 29, but did not intervene as the owners decided to handle the case through their insurance companies, Kathleen Calie, a spokeswoman for Brussels South police, said by phone.
    As Le Soir reports, according to the police, the owner of the vehicle was outside the car, busy closing the gate of his agency while the engine was running. The Tesla then set off on its own, crashing into other cars parked nearby before finishing off at a Dacia Logan across the street.
    Tesla has denied the driver's version of events...
    “We have investigated the facts of the incident and we can confirm that the customer was driving and operating his car himself, without using Autopilot, which is a level 2 driving assistance system that doesn’t make a Tesla a self-driving car,” a Tesla spokesperson said in an emailed response to questions.
    But still, Tesla stock is sliding - not helped by the Softbank snub...

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...arting-its-own

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The NTSB has released its report analyzing the March 23 Tesla Model X crash in Mountain View, which ended in the tragic death of a 38 year old Apple engineer and took place while Autopilot was engaged - and while the driver had their hands off of the steering wheel. While many of the details were known previously, the most surprising revelation was that the vehicle actually sped up seconds before the crash.
    As Bloomberg reports, the Model X that crashed in California while being guided by its semi-autonomous driving system, accelerated to 71 miles an hour in the seconds before the vehicle slammed into a highway barrier, according to the NTSB investigators. In the preliminary report on the March 23 crash, investigators report that the driver’s hands were detected on the steering wheel only 34 seconds during the last minute before impact.
    The investigation is the latest to shine a spotlight into potential flaws in emerging autonomous driving technology.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ng-driver-ntsb

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

James Corbett – Welcome to your driverless future
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Two thoughts.

First, we've had the ability to remove the human element from train operation for at least 70 years, which is a much, much smaller engineering problem, and it has never happened. If we are ever coerced to give up control of our cars, I'd seriously consider organizing a lawsuit to get at least subways to remove drivers.

Second, I've always known the hyperloop is complete bull$#@!, but now we know exactly how safe it's going to be... considering it's an engineering problem which is much, much more complicated than autonomous cars.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Not scared,, DO NOT TRUST..

It is not trustworthy.. Not ready for real world..
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Is the car driving you or is it the government driving you?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

A Tesla driver in Utah whose vehicle slammed itself into a stopped fire truck at a red light earlier this year is now suing the company, claiming that when she bought the car she was told that it would stop on its own if the Autopilot was on and something was in the vehicle's path.
    The driver, Heather Lommatzsch, reportedly wrote in her lawsuit that she was told in 2016, when she purchased her Tesla Model S, that she only had to "touch the steering wheel occasionally while using Autopilot mode". She also claims that she tried to engage the brakes when she saw the vehicle stopped ahead of her, but that the car's brakes simply "did not work".

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...s-did-not-work

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The collectivist will love autonomous cars... They see the breaking of a few eggs as necessary for the whole omelette.
    The sacrifice of a few people today, in order to improve the code base, is worth the promise of a safer tomorrow.

"I would rather be a poor master than a rich servant" - Michael Caine

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

In the city of Hinckley, near the city of Leicester, there is a Japanese company that wants to build
    a test track for driverless cars on the southwestern section of Bosworth Field. Richard III Society
    members have been notorious for getting into online quarrels with members of THE HENRY TUDOR
    SOCIETY, which came into being in 2013. The RIII Society has been around since the ROARING
    TWENTIES. Before BREXiT tore the U.K apart, these spats amoung mediaevalists were infamous.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The company acquiring the legal deed to an 83 acre family farm near or on swampy marshland now has
    RIII Society people and Henry VII's diligent supporters cautiously joining together in a common cause.
    Both groups of roughly 20,000 members each are signing petitions. Politics makes strange bedfellows.

If we are not going to be buying the driverless cars the Leicester car rink will be testing out, and we
    might not do so for three decades or more, this makes 'em impractical save for programming or CPU.

The realms of FORZA online gaming are well past the "auld" gamer franchise
    that is the NEED FOR SPEED. This opens up Virtual Reality into the matrix as
    well as ANONYMOUS & all hacker people. Cars are to be controlled via a CPU?
    Last edited by Aratus; 09-06-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: ASPHALT 9 has also had its jolly good rollout...

The link up above is active. Be warned. It's Ricardian!

Again...

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    A Tesla driver in Utah whose vehicle slammed itself into a stopped fire truck at a red light earlier this year is now suing the company, claiming that when she bought the car she was told that it would stop on its own if the Autopilot was on and something was in the vehicle's path.
    The driver, Heather Lommatzsch, reportedly wrote in her lawsuit that she was told in 2016, when she purchased her Tesla Model S, that she only had to "touch the steering wheel occasionally while using Autopilot mode". She also claims that she tried to engage the brakes when she saw the vehicle stopped ahead of her, but that the car's brakes simply "did not work".

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...s-did-not-work
    Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    In the city of Hinckley, near the city of Leicester, there is a Japanese company that wants to build
    a test track for driverless cars on the southwestern section of Bosworth Field. Richard III Society
    members have been notorious for getting into online quarrels with members of THE HENRY TUDOR
    SOCIETY, which came into being in 2013. The RIII Society has been around since the ROARING
    TWENTIES. Before BREXiT tore the U.K apart, these spats amoung mediaevalists were infamous.
    The company acquiring the legal deed to an 83 acre family farm near or on swampy marshland now has
    RIII Society people and Henry VII's diligent supporters cautiously joining together in a common cause.
    Both groups of roughly 20,000 members each are signing petitions. Politics makes strange bedfellows.
    If we are not going to be buying the driverless cars the Leicester car rink will be testing out, and we
    might not do so for three decades or more, this makes 'em impractical save for programming or CPU.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast