Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 73 Percent of Americans Are ‘Scared’ to Use Driverless Cars

Just days after we posted about celebrity jeweler Ben Baller being stuck inside of his Tesla with no way out, another "activist" planet-saving celebrity is also publicly bitching about their Tesla on social media. Musician Sheryl Crow took to Twitter today to inform the world that her Tesla was "stuck in a parking lot" and that its screen had "gone black". She said the "reset" feature wasn't working and speculated as to whether or not she could return her vehicle and get her money back.
    Help! Who knows what to do when your @Tesla screen goes black and the reset doesn’t work? Return it and get your money back?? #Tesla #stuckinaparkinglot
    — Sheryl Crow (@SherylCrow) April 3, 2019

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ck-parking-lot
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Concerns about the safety of Tesla's "Autopilot" continue to swirl after a new video of a Model 3 crash surfaced this weekend on Twitter. The video, posted to Twitter on Saturday, shows a Model 3 with its autopilot engaged going up a relatively routine exit ramp at a speed that appears to just be about 25mph.
    The ramp is congested and traffic is moving relatively normally, until the turn creates such an angle that the only thing visible in front of the Tesla is a black Subuaru Forester, which may or may not have blended into the color of the road ahead of the Tesla. That's when Tesla's Autopilot makes the bold, if inexplicable, decision to accelerate directly into the back of the Forester:
    1/ Here is a video of a Model 3 crashing into the back of a Subaru Forester while on Autopilot. The impact occurs about 20 seconds into the video. Not only does the Model 3 appear to accelerate into the crash, but the airbag didn't even deploy. $TSLA pic.twitter.com/XdpM7b0SFw
    — NetflixAndLamp (@NetflixAndLamp) April 6, 2019
    "Not only does the Model 3 appear to accelerate into the crash, but the airbag didn't even deploy."

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...hile-autopilot

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

.................................................. .................................robots. yes...........................

Tesla bulls are quick to argue that many other types of cars also catch fire and accelerate into inanimate objects on their own, so why is everyone always picking on Tesla?
    Perhaps it is due to the totally normal, everyday accidents that keep occurring in Teslas: for instance, Republic Times' recent report that a Tesla "missed a curve" in a residential neighborhood and instead drove through the front of someone's home.

The male driver was reported to have been airlifted by a medical helicopter from the scene, to Saint Louis University Hospital for a head injury that he sustained during the accident. Two additional occupants of the car were also both transported to the same hospital, via ambulance. All three of the car's occupants were 21 years old.
    The crash took place at about 12:30am at 16 Eagle Lake Drive, which is located off Steppig Road south of Saint Louis in Columbia, on the Illinois side of the border.

The driver, Alexander Grier, had to be extracted from the vehicle using the Jaws of Life. Initial reports say that the Tesla (notably not "the driver") missed a curve in the roadway and struck the house.
    It has not been confirmed whether or not the car was on Autopilot, but we will continue to follow the story closely for updates.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-house-instead

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am guessing excessive speed and Youthful inexperienced driver..
    That is something a Autopilot would prevent,, had it been installed and in use..

But the very next day..

http://www.republictimes.net/moving-...columbia-home/

I am honestly more curious as to how these phuckup kids got a Tesla.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

A San Jose woman claims that her brand new Tesla Model 3 auto-accelerated on its own at a "high rate of speed" last month, crashing through her garage and colliding with her husband’s car before being stopped by a wall, according to CBS. "It seems like it was not in my control. It would’ve cost a life," said driver Supriya Gupta.
    Her husband said: “It sounded like a bomb exploded or something.” The accident also caused damage to her kitchen, where her mother was cooking at the time.

The family caught the incident on their home surveillance system and later shared the video with Tesla. Gupta claims that her foot was on the brake pedal as she was slowing down to park in her driveway, but that the car then "shot forward uncontrollably at a high rate of speed."
    Tesla has another story. They told CBS: “We investigate the vehicle diagnostic logs when a driver claims their car ‘suddenly’ and ‘unexpectedly’ accelerated, and in every case the vehicle’s diagnostic logs confirm the vehicle operated as designed.”
    Of course, if you are to take the company's word for it, it hasn't been at fault for a single one of these accidents - ever.
    A San Jose woman says her brand new Tesla Model 3 accelerated on its own, crashing into her home and causing nearly $100,000 in damage.

The crash caught on camera — watch it in a few minutes on @KPIXtv. pic.twitter.com/za8ItihQvA
    — Maria Medina KPIX5 (@MariaKPIX) June 11, 2019
    Gupta has reportedly asked Tesla for a copy of the diagnostic log but – surprise - she didn’t get a response and hasn’t heard from Tesla at all. Her husband said: “We just want a fair investigation.” Gupta commented further: "Luckily, my kids were not there. It’s like a nightmare to think about that. I couldn’t sleep for three days."
    She insists that the accident was not her fault and said that in the 12 years she’s been in the United States, she’s never been in an accident. She also says she "doesn’t feel safe" driving a Tesla again.
    “I think something is fishy and they are hiding from us. It could happen on the road also, so I don’t feel safe for my family, as well as for me,” she said.
    The damage is estimated to have come in at about $100,000.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...100000-damages

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Asian woman "driver" or Tesla...who to believe?
    Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer

Ⅎ˥ƎSWIH ˥˥I⋊ ⊥,NᗡIᗡ NƎI⊥SԀƎ

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Asian woman "driver" or Tesla...who to believe?
    It's a hard choice but I'm going to have to go with the Asian woman.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Just days after we reported that Tesla could be on the verge of a formal investigation by the NHTSA, a father and his two kids in Moscow both suffered serious injuries after their Tesla Model S on Autopilot slammed into a tow truck before bursting into flames, according to RT.
    Shocking video footage from a vehicle passing the accident in the opposing lane captures the moment that the Tesla explodes, going up in flames and "shocking oncoming drivers".

The accident took place on Moscow's Ring Road on Saturday evening and initial reports are blaming the car's Autopilot system for failing to recognize a stopped tow truck that was attending to a vehicle on the road.
    Both the driver and his children were rushed to the hospital before the Tesla caught fire. The driver suffered a concussion and a leg fracture and the children suffered cervical spine and chest injuries.
    Video of the initial incident shows the Tesla, in the left hand lane, failing to move over for a stopped tow truck and driving directly into the stopped vehicle.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...xplodes-flames

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Shocking new video out of Mayagüez, Puerto Rico shows a Tesla Model X going bezerk while attempting to park.
    The incident reportedly occurred last Saturday in front of a bakery on Calle de la Candelaria street.
    The Model X was attempting to park next to a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck, when it suddenly sped up, smashing into the front of the truck. From there, the Model X narrowly avoids a woman that was getting out of the truck on the passenger side before the vehicle shoots across two lanes of traffic, destroying a street sign and narrowly missing another pedestrian.

Then the car starts driving wildly, in circles and out of control, before finally coming to a halt in the middle of the street.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ly-missing-two

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I know where this is headed. The media will begin regularly reporting cars hitting pedestrians and that someone must do something. After outrage after outrage some cities, like NYC will begin ban driving your car into the city in favor of driverless cars. The media will continue to hype every incident for this end result to make it a political issue at the federal level and of course Presidential politics.
    Assault vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_Liberty90 View Post
    Assault vehicles
    and the mental health aspect. Background checks and red flag laws to self drive a car.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They are mainly programmed by Asians and East Indians and neither of those groups can drive very well so this shouldn't surprise anyone.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Organizations are already forming to protect the act of driving and defend against the more nefarious practices buried in autonomy. While these groups seem to be fueled by passion, many lack the "from our cold dead hands" stridency integral to other resistance movements. The Human Driving Association was founded in 2018 to advocate for making cars safer while protecting the freedom to own and drive them. Introduced via a 12-point "manifesto" published by The Drive, the organization now has nearly 10,000 members. Hagerty, one of the largest insurers of vintage and collectible cars, has launched a similar initiative. Called "Save Driving," it's dedicated to preserving the right of humans to drive and celebrating the joy that driving can bring, all while embracing lifesaving automotive technologies.
    These groups worry about threats to personal freedom and privacy if the right to drive is denied to humans. They are concerned with the degrading effect that data-driven, data-deriving self-driving cars may have on society. They worry that the deployment of automated vehicles may further enhance national divisions: for example, those between urbanites—whose densely populated, meticulously mapped cities will be great candidates for autonomy—and outlying rural areas that likely won't have access to the technology. Given that the eventual goal for AV integration is to have all driverless cars connected and speaking the same language, these organizations also fear that the technology will end up being owned entirely by one entity—Google, Amazon, Uber, GM—that capitalizes on our reliance to mine our data and market its products.

Douglas Rushkoff, a media-theory professor at the City University of New York and progenitor of the terms "digital native," "viral media," and "social currency," was prescient in imagining public backlash to a robotized world populated by signs and signals that are readable only by machines. "When they were first talking about autonomous vehicles 10 years ago," Rushkoff says, "I imagined posses of skateboard kids going out at night with spray cans and redrawing street lines to get [AVs] to drive off cliffs or go in circles."
    Hackers are already exploiting these new languages. White-hat researchers at Tencent Keen Security Lab in China recently found a simple way to trick the driver-assistance systems in a Tesla. Since these vehicles see and interpret differently than humans do, the introduction of seemingly innocuous signals—in this case, small stickers placed in a roadway—were enough to convince the car to change lanes right into oncoming traffic.
    This leads us to one of the most fearsome features of AVs: their capacity to be compromised by rogue actors. Cars could be taken over remotely and manipulated, militarized, or held hostage for ransom. According to David Barzilai, co-founder of automotive cybersecurity firm Karamba Security, "There's a consistent pattern. When systems become connected, they get hacked."
    This vulnerability to hacking increases with the quantity of code contained in the product's software. A commercial jet has 15 million lines of code. A contemporary luxury car has 100 million. An autonomous car is estimated to have more than 300 million.
    "Hacking today is business," says Barzilai. "It's driven more by money, less by fear. In order to gain the profit of the hacking attempt, you need to make the threat, demonstrate the threat, but not do irreversible damage. And it's more to frighten the OEMs, not the consumers. The idea is to tell the OEMs, 'I have the capability to shut down your fleet. If you don't believe me, watch me shut down a few cars in a random suburb.' "
    "So, are we doomed?" we ask Barzilai.
    He pauses for a moment. "I would say yes."

When we recently drove a Cadillac CT6 equipped with the brand's sophisticated Super Cruise hands-free driver-assistance tech, we ran into a bit of trouble. No matter how many times we tried to engage the system, in whatever appropriately geo-mapped highway location we were in, it would not take. When we confronted a Cadillac employee about this, he suggested that the problem might be that it was "too sunny."
    Weather and visibility play key roles in the functionality of the suite of cameras and sensors required for driverless cars to "see." "Lidar is extremely sensitive to particles in the air," says Price. "Rain or sand or fog refracts the laser beam as it's traveling out, meaning the signals either get lost or return distorted and unusable. Cameras, on the other hand, are quite resilient to weather, to snow and rain, until it gets extremely heavy" and their lenses get blocked.
    Suppliers are developing workarounds. Wipers, heated shields, and specially treated surfaces are used to prevent precipitation buildup. Artificial-intelligence systems are trained to interpret and identify objects distorted by weather. Vehicle-control algorithms are designed to enhance on-road stability. And remote operators maintain oversight, monitoring environmental conditions and rerouting vehicles before they enter areas that are beyond their operational design domain.
    Autonomous cars are also being trained to monitor themselves and respond accordingly. "So if visibility drops below a certain point, they go into a degraded mode where the vehicle automatically pulls over to the side of the road," says Price. "Or, depending on the severity, it may just decelerate and find a safe location along the mission route."
    Lines of idling, unmanned, unguarded trucks hemmed in by weather and filled with valuable goods. Does anyone else see the plot to a heist movie?

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/enemies-auton...130000987.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And remote operators maintain oversight, monitoring environmental conditions and rerouting vehicles before they enter areas that are beyond their operational design domain.
    Of course they do.

If this was any other technology, and any other car company, there would be shrieking from the usual suspects from sea to shining sea, bans would be enacted all over, CEOs would be perp-walked before Congress to be publicly humiliated, people would be going to jail.

Uncle Sucker almost bankrupted VW, and threw people in prison for daring to to install a "work around" that harmed no one, increased performance and overall lowered emissions by fudging 4 tenths of one percent off their diesel NoX emissions.

That indicates just how dedicated the system is to taking your ability to drive yourself where and when you want, and instead, shuttle you around in meatpods totally under their control and authority.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These vehicles cost way more than we would ever spend on a car.
    “When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it”~~ Frederic Bastiat

An Uber vehicle that struck and killed a pedestrian in March 2018 had what are being called "serious software flaws" that led to the tragic incident.
    The vehicle reportedly didn't have the ability to recognize jaywalkers, according to a new report from engadget, who cited a report prepared by the NTSB. The safety agency blamed Uber's software for not being able to recognize the victim of the accident as a pedestrian crossing the street. The vehicle didn't calculate that it could potentially collide with the woman until just 1.2 seconds before impact, at which point it was too late to brake.
    The NTSB said that Uber's system "did not include a consideration for jaywalking pedestrians."

In fact, the report says that the system detected her about 6 seconds before impact, but didn't classify her as a pedestrian:
    Although the [system] detected the pedestrian nearly six seconds before impact ... it never classified her as a pedestrian, because she was crossing at a location without a crosswalk [and] the system design did not include a consideration for jaywalking pedestrians.
    After recognizing the pedestrian (too late) the vehicle then wasted a second trying to calculate an alternative path or allowing the driver to take control. Uber has since eliminated this function in a software update.
    Uber vehicles have failed to identify roadway hazards in at least two other cases, the report notes. In one, a vehicle struck a bicycle lane post that had bent into a roadway. In another, a driver was forced to take control of the vehicle to avoid an oncoming vehicle. The driver still wound up striking a parked car.
    In the 7 months leading up to the pedestrian accident, Uber vehicles had been involved in 37 accidents, 33 of which involved other vehicles striking Uber test cars.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...kers-ntsb-says

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

That indicates just how dedicated the system is to taking your ability to drive yourself where and when you want, and instead, shuttle you around in meatpods totally under their control and authority.
    That is the direction they have been going for years.

I like the efficiency and performance of the electrics,, but hate the AI. and they are all tying it in..

Except Bikes.. and Homebrew EV..

I am looking forward to salvage batteries in an affordable range soon.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A Tesla on autopilot rear-ended a Connecticut trooper’s vehicle early Saturday as the driver was checking on his dog in the back seat, state police said.
    Police said they had responded to a disabled vehicle that was stopped in the middle of Interstate 95. While waiting for a tow, the self-driving Tesla came down the road.
    After striking the trooper's vehicle, the driver in the Tesla then rear-ended the disabled vehicle before stopping.

“The operator of the Tesla continued to slowly travel northbound before being stopped several hundred feet ahead by the second trooper on scene,” police said.

“The operator of the Tesla stated that he had his vehicle on ‘Auto-pilot’ and explained that he was checking on his dog which was in the back seat prior to hitting the collision,” police said.

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-a...cticut-cop-car

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

In what has now become "everyday news" that people - especially those at the NHTSA - are becoming immune to, a Tesla slammed through the front of a bakery on Tuesday in Burlington, Ontario, injuring 2 people.
    There has been no word yet on whether or not Autopilot played a role in the accident.

The incident happened at the British Pride Bakery at Roseland Plaza at about 10:30AM on Tuesday, according to Inside Halton. Regional police said that the woman who was driving the vehicle and an employee from inside the shop were both taken to the hospital with injuries.

The incident remains "under investigation", according to local authorities and has forced the bakery to close at what would be its busiest time of the year.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...uring-2-people

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The emergence of smart cars has opened the door to limitless possibilities for technology and innovation – but also to threats beyond the car itself. New research from Michigan State University is the first to apply criminal justice theory to smart vehicles, revealing cracks in the current system leading to potential cyber risks.
    “Automotive cybersecurity is an area we don’t understand well in the social sciences. While there are groups of computer scientists and engineers digging into some of the issues, the social aspects are extremely relevant and under-examined,” said Thomas Holt, professor of criminal justice at MSU. “As the technology gets greater market share, it’s critical to get ahead of the curve before there are issues we can’t rein in.”
    As vehicles become smarter and more connected to WiFi networks, hackers will have more opportunities to breach vehicle systems. Connecting your smartphone through a USB port can give a hacker backdoor access to data from both your phone and your car. Additionally, Google Android users who can download apps from unverified sites are even more at-risk.
    The research, published in the Journal of Crime and Justice applied Routine Activities Theory, used a popular criminal justice framework, to current forms of vehicle security and provided recommendations for manufacturers and owners to improve safety.
    “The risk with vehicles isn’t just personal data – though that is still a real concern,” Holt said. “Say the car is compromised and a hacker alters certain alert systems that tell a driver when tire pressure is low or so the emergency brake sensory systems don’t kick in. That could lead to loss of life.”
    The theory Holt applied says that in order for a criminal to act three things need to come together: a motivated offender, a suitable target and a lack of guardian. In the context of vehicle security, he said that motivators and targets are clear, but the presence of a guardian was where vehicles fell short.
    “Where we found holes was surprising: there’s no one technically responsible for these vehicles’ central computer systems,” Holt said.

More at: https://www.infowars.com/study-raise...-cyberattacks/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Anti-electricity cartoon from 1889.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Even if I was born with some sort of condition that resulted in being have short arms and I wouldn't be able to reach the steering wheel, I still wouldn't get a self driving car.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Two vehicle occupants have been seriously injured after a Tesla slammed into the back of a Cloverdale Township Volunteer Fire Department Truck early Sunday morning. According to the Greencastle Banner-Graphic, the accident took place in Cloverdale, IN.
    The fire truck was in the eastbound lands of the interstate, responding to an earlier wreck, when a Tesla ran into the rear of the truck, causing "heavy damage" to both.

Reports from the scene indicated that both the driver and the passenger were unconscious and trapped. There is no word yet on whether or not Autopilot played a role in the accident.

Both occupants were extricated from the vehicle and the Indiana State Police said that the accident involved “serious personal injury.”
    Recall, this is not the first time a Tesla has slammed into the back of an inanimate fire truck. In 2018, an accident occurred when a driver smashed into the back of a fire truck in Southern California. That driver was found to have been "looking down" at "what appeared to be a mobile phone" while the car's Autopilot was engaged, according to Bloomberg.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...iretruck-again

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast