Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 46 of 46

Thread: 73 Percent of Americans Are ‘Scared’ to Use Driverless Cars

  1. #31
    In the latest incident to take place while a Tesla car was on Autopilot, at least the authorities were on the scene quickly. That, of course, is because the Tesla Model S in question, located on Freeway 3 in Hsinchu County, Taiwan, reportedly plowed directly into the back of a police car.
    Two officers that were directing traffic at the time narrowly escaped death or serious injury, reportedly jumping out of the way "just in time" before the accident occurred.
    The accident took place despite reports that there were "100 meters of traffic cones and flashing warning lights" placed behind the police car. After the first patrol car was hit, it subsequently wound up hitting a second patrol car. The damage was estimated to be around NT$3 million (~USD $97,300).

    The driver, who after feeling "drowsy", engaged his Autopilot on the highway was subsequently tested for alcohol. The test was found to be non-reactive. The driver told police he had finished a long shift at work that started at 6AM that morning, about 16 hours earlier than the accident occurred.

    Tesla's website, as a reminder, states: “Autopilot is intended for use only with a fully attentive driver who has their hands on the wheel and is prepared to take over at any time.”
    So, naturally, when Elon Musk demonstrated Autopilot for his recent controversial 60 Minutes interview, he did just the opposite, taking his hands off the wheel before his vehicle appeared to cut off another driver in traffic during a lane change.




    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-and-warning-0
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32
    What could go wrong?




    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst



  4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  5. #33
    While I solidly consider myself on the side of "automate everything we can", I think the concerns here are fairly well founded.

    We're actively imagining neural networks to be more powerful than they actually are and we're ascribing more intentionality and intelligence to them than they actually possess. While neural networks (and broader machine learning) are powerful tools, they're nothing remotely like AGI, nor are they really making "decisions" in the same way a human does. At their core, they're an advanced form of statistical analysis that has options hooked up to those decisions.

    While this leads to some genuinely impressive feats (OpenAI beating the world's top DotA 2 players was a genuine sight to behold), the real world is very messy and difficult to simplify. We're also starting to find out that how a machine identifies an image can be very flawed; in one sample, a machine correctly identified "wolves" in various pictures with precision accuracy (or so it seemed), but once it was found out why it as labeling the wolf as a wolf, researchers were more than a bit mortified. It was labeling the wolves as "wolves" because of the background and not the wolf itself. It's not enough for a machine to be right, but it has to be right for the right reasons, otherwise, if the scenario changes, it can start making really poor decisions (ie: wolves in non-typical backgrounds).

    These problems are being actively worked on and they are improving, but it's all still mostly statistical correlation. There's no "understanding" the machine has, it doesn't "think", it can't generate new "ideas", and it works in a very narrow range.

    I'm sure it'll get significantly better over the next 10-20 years (though, I do suspect an AI winter is just around the corner, which is likely to set us back for an other 20 years or so), but I don't think driverless cars are within our grasp any time soon.

    In short, we don't want driverless cars running over people because, at its core, a machine still has no idea what a human "is" or ...well, anything at all.

  6. #34
    The article mentions millennials as the largest change.. did they ask those afraid - if they are also afraid to drive a regular car? Many are.. watch them try to merge onto a highway... smh
    ~climbs in the never ever boat~
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

    The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

  7. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I wasn't planning on using one anyway.
    Self driving cars will not be able to handle road conditions/situations when more and more driverless cars are on the roads.

  8. #36
    After what happened to Michael Hastings I can understand why people would be scared of driverless cars.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge

  9. #37
    It has been years since Teslas debuted its Autopilot and, despite numerous software updates and fixes in response to a litany of accidents involving Autopilot, it doesn’t look as though drivers are getting the message that the software may not be as innovative, safe or autonomous as Elon Musk has led them to believe.
    Yet another example came to light on Monday when a driver in North Brunswick, New Jersey wrecked his Tesla on a highway while the vehicle was in Autopilot mode. According to a report published by News 12 New Jersey, the driver said that the vehicle "got confused due to the lane markings" at a point where the driver could have stayed on the highway or taken an exit. The driver claims that Autopilot split the difference and went down "the middle", between the exit and staying on the highway.
    The car then drove off the road and collided with several objects before coming to a stop. The driver claims that he tried to regain control of the vehicle but that "it would not let him".
    Some of the driver's claims and Tesla's full response were later edited out of the News 12 New Jersey report without explanation.

    This is the latest of numerous similar Autopilot accidents that have taken place as a result of Autopilot being "confused" and acting indecisively when passing exits on the highway. As the details of these accidents have emerged, it has become evident that Autopilot may have serious issues with determining where to go when given the opportunity to exit a highway.


    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...regain-control
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment

  10. #38
    https://electrek.co/2018/10/19/tesla...age-confusion/

    Tesla removes ‘Full Self-Driving Capability’ package from its options due to ‘confusion’

    I like the electric car.. but self drive is Not Ready for Prime Time.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  11. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It has been years since Teslas debuted its Autopilot and, despite numerous software updates and fixes in response to a litany of accidents involving Autopilot, it doesn’t look as though drivers are getting the message that the software may not be as innovative, safe or autonomous as Elon Musk has led them to believe.

    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...regain-control
    You know what's so frustrating about all this?

    If this was any other company selling cars with such a bad track record; crashes, fires, delays in delivery and so on, the government media organs would be screeching 24/7 for congressional hearings, there would legislation being written to ban them, Musk would getting grilled and perp-walked in front of Congress, breathless bubble headed bleached blonde reporterettes would be doing "human interest" stories of the injured and killed by the thousands, tugging at the heart and fogging the minds of millions.

    IF...this was any other company with any other car.

  12. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You know what's so frustrating about all this?

    If this was any other company selling cars with such a bad track record; crashes, fires, delays in delivery and so on, the government media organs would be screeching 24/7 for congressional hearings, there would legislation being written to ban them, Musk would getting grilled and perp-walked in front of Congress, breathless bubble headed bleached blonde reporterettes would be doing "human interest" stories of the injured and killed by the thousands, tugging at the heart and fogging the minds of millions.

    IF...this was any other company with any other car.
    If THEY didn't want to force all of us into these nightmares.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  14. #41
    They WANT these computerized nightmares because it is CONTROL THRU DEPENDENCY. Those who can not drive for themselves become dependent on machines to do it, or other people, and the people are being phased out.

    Another thing that takes a huge $#@! in my cheerios is Keyless Entry. Its fine as long as you can use an actual key to get into the car when the battery dies due to cold weather. But these $#@!ing idiots cant get it thru their thick skulls to leave the $#@!ing key as a goddamn backup in case the battery dies. Just went thru this.

    THERE IS NO $#@!ING MECHANICAL KEY WHEN THE BATTERY DIES.
    1776 > 1984

    The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

    The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

    Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

  15. #42
    They have driverless exercise machines at the gym.

  16. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    They WANT these computerized nightmares because it is CONTROL THRU DEPENDENCY. Those who can not drive for themselves become dependent on machines to do it, or other people, and the people are being phased out.

    Another thing that takes a huge $#@! in my cheerios is Keyless Entry. Its fine as long as you can use an actual key to get into the car when the battery dies due to cold weather. But these $#@!ing idiots cant get it thru their thick skulls to leave the $#@!ing key as a goddamn backup in case the battery dies. Just went thru this.

    THERE IS NO $#@!ING MECHANICAL KEY WHEN THE BATTERY DIES.
    ha ha, I know, I opted out of everything 'smart' I could in my Cherokee Latitude.
    I have a key slot if needed in the driver side door.

    Driverless vehicles are like where they are taking Drone Tech, responsibility is no longer in
    the hands of the operator, in fact injury and death hold no one responsible, there is
    not incentive for safety , no one is to blame.
    They can use this and will to execute whomever they chose, ooooops, that pesky software.

    They will also be able to shut down entire towns from using their vehicles or entire states from same.
    Say something in social media, get shut down.
    No guilt of any crime, just get on a 'list' .
    Social Scoring will be part of the tyranny.

  17. #44
    I wasn't polled, make that 73.0000010174 %

  18. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    ha ha, I know, I opted out of everything 'smart' I could in my Cherokee Latitude.
    I have a key slot if needed in the driver side door.

    Driverless vehicles are like where they are taking Drone Tech, responsibility is no longer in
    the hands of the operator, in fact injury and death hold no one responsible, there is
    not incentive for safety , no one is to blame.
    They can use this and will to execute whomever they chose, ooooops, that pesky software.

    They will also be able to shut down entire towns from using their vehicles or entire states from same.
    Say something in social media, get shut down.
    No guilt of any crime, just get on a 'list' .
    Social Scoring will be part of the tyranny.
    You mentioned the Back Door to dismantle Freedom, the deprival of Self Responsibility, which means no person has ANY accountability to themselves. Driving to work and killed someone? Soon it will be "nobody's fault", and we place less and less value on human life. If death has no consequences, then life has no value.
    1776 > 1984

    The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

    The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

    Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

  19. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    You mentioned the Back Door to dismantle Freedom, the deprival of Self Responsibility, which means no person has ANY accountability to themselves. Driving to work and killed someone? Soon it will be "nobody's fault", and we place less and less value on human life. If death has no consequences, then life has no value.
    That's right its the software's fault or in the case of the drones; ''We are holding A I software responsible, they are
    going to pay hell'' .......right ha ha.......

    Those who can not drive for themselves become dependent on machines to do it...
    ,
    Not only this /\ but we will breed a whole new crop of people that will have never had any
    experience driving, they won't even know what that would really mean , 'in time' .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads

  1. California Greenlights Fully Driverless Cars April 2nd
    By DamianTV in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2018, 02:55 PM
  2. G.M. Unveils Its Driverless Cars, Aiming to Lead the Pack
    By Anti Federalist in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2017, 11:56 PM
  3. The next frontier in Formula racing: Driverless cars
    By Anti Federalist in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2015, 05:42 PM
  4. Govt trying to figure out how to ticket driverless cars
    By Matt Collins in forum Individual Rights Violations: Case Studies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 11:08 PM
  5. California Legalizes Driverless Cars
    By NickOdell in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 01:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •