Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The free market solution to school shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The school in Florida where the latest shooting took place had armed guards liberal government cowards on campus.
    Fixed it
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The school in Florida where the latest shooting took place had armed guards on campus.
    Well yeah, but they didn't do anything. As with anything, one has to be sure that who you hire is both competent and ready to act. They were neither.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I didn't see any on the first link but I finally found one from Ender of all people on about page 6.

Anyway my point is that eliminating government schools should be THE solution in my opinion. These shootings should be a rallying point to privatize the schools. 99% of the posts I've read are about the best way for the government to fix the problem in their crappy schools, not to privatize them. It sort of legitimizes government schools.
    I've never mentioned it here, but I have mentioned it to my Wife every time one of these school shootings occur. Unfortunately I have about as much influence with her as I do here. Kudos for starting a thread on this and bringing it to people's attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

We could just ban schools. That would end school shootings. School shootings are still too rare to be able to find any real cause to all of them. Some shooters have even been home schooled so we would have to end that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    Education is important, but many will leave school as underachievers, myself an example, a private education system won't solve that. Private schools serve for the privileged few. Like stating that everybody should attend Oxfordshire county's university, Oxford.

State education is the only solution to give a broad education, the alternatives aren't going to compete.
    What shallow thinking...

"Private schools serve the privileged few" because that is the market that is left to them. "Public" schools (state schools, more correctly), are funded through coercion and thus enjoy a practical monopoly on general "education". Eliminate state schools and you open the general education market to private education, which will result in innovation and competition. There will ALWAYS be schools catering to the wealthy, as there are now within the "public school" paradigm. In a free market, at least the lower end of the economic scale will at least enjoy those benefits of innovation and competition.

Just take a look at inner city school districts, with their abysmal graduation rates, literacy rates, etc. Private companies don't survive that kind of performance.

Advocating for that system is unjustifiable.

What are you stating, that a local school near where I live shouldn't be funded by the government? There are at least may be three in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    What are you stating, that a local school near where I live shouldn't be funded by the government? There are at least may be three in my area.
    I thought it was pretty clear what I was stating.

You see private schools within the state-school paradigm and think that private schools only cater to the wealthy. That is vaguely accurate, but only because the lower end of the economic scale is monopolized by the state schools. Remove the coercive state schools, and the vacuum left will be filled by private education services; and most importantly, innovation will flourish because there will be competition in the market - companies will compete to gain market share, finding ways to deliver education more efficiently and cost-effectively.

Those on the lower end of the economic scale should benefit from lower property taxes or lower rents (which admittedly is a bit of a hope, because there's no reason to assume that the state will willfully lower tax rates). Yet as technology advances, education becomes more and more accessible, even within the current paradigm. Just IMAGINE how innovative the market would become absent the coercive state-school!

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I didn't see any on the first link but I finally found one from Ender of all people on about page 6.

Anyway my point is that eliminating government schools should be THE solution in my opinion. These shootings should be a rallying point to privatize the schools. 99% of the posts I've read are about the best way for the government to fix the problem in their crappy schools, not to privatize them. It sort of legitimizes government schools.
    Ender of all people?

My life has been spent helping people through real education and arts.

And I absolutely believe that Public "Education" should be done away with. Even most private schools sign up with the gov for certain benefits & then have to abide by gov rules such as Common Core- or whatever the official indoctrination method is at the moment.

Any "public" schools should only be done on a local community level & most private schools would become financially reasonable.

And, of course, homeschooling- especially for grammar school age, is THE best option, IMHPOV.
    There is no spoon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12