Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Egg a day tied to lower risk of heart disease

Exclamation Egg a day tied to lower risk of heart disease

Egg a day tied to lower risk of heart disease

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1IM2G9

(Reuters Health) - People who eat an egg just about every day may have a lower risk of heart attack and stroke than individuals who don’t eat eggs at all, a large Chinese study suggests.

Researchers examined survey data on egg consumption among 461,213 adults who were 51 years old on average. When they joined the study, none had a history of heart disease. Overall, they ate an average of half an egg daily; about 9 percent of them avoided eggs altogether while 13 percent ate roughly one egg every day.

At least half of the participants were followed for nine years or more. During that time, 83,977 people developed heart disease or had a heart attack or stroke, and 9,985 died from these conditions.

Compared to people who never ate eggs, individuals who ate an average of 0.76 eggs per day were 11 percent less likely to develop cardiovascular diseases and 18 percent less likely to die from these conditions, the study found.

“This is important to people, especially those in the part of the world where eggs are major sources of high-quality proteins and other important nutrients for the body,” said Dr. Luc Djousse, a researcher at Harvard Medical School in Boston who wasn’t involved in the study.

“The take-home message from this is that when consumed in moderation, there does not appear to be an elevated risk of developing heart disease or stroke,” Djousse said by email.

But that doesn’t mean people should be rushing to make a three-egg omelet every day for breakfast.

That’s because the study doesn’t offer any insight into the risk of heart disease or stroke associated with more than one egg a day, Djousse said.

“Eggs are not safe for anyone at risk of heart attacks or strokes, but particularly not for diabetics,” said Dr. J. David Spence of the Western University Stroke Prevention & Atherosclerosis Research Center in London, Ontario.

“Eggs increase the risk of vascular disease,” Spence, who wasn’t involved in the study, said by email. For example, egg yolks contain phosphatidylcholine, a chemical that can contribute to clogged arteries, he said.

Eggs are a primary source of dietary cholesterol, but they also contain high-quality lean protein and many vitamins, the study team notes in the journal Heart. Previous research on the link between eggs and heart disease have offered inconsistent results, with some pointing to a protective effect and others suggesting that eggs might make people more likely to have a heart attack or stroke.

Part of the issue revolves around cholesterol.

Eggs can contain around 200 milligrams of cholesterol, and scientists used to think that eating eggs would lead to higher levels of cholesterol in the blood, Djousse said.

Some more recent research, however, suggests that eggs might block the liver from making low-density lipoprotein (LDL), the bad kind of cholesterol that can build up in blood vessels and lead to clots and heart attacks, and boost production of high-density lipoprotein (HDL), the good kind needed for healthy blood flow.

The study wasn’t a controlled experiment designed to prove whether or how eggs might impact the risk of developing cardiovascular disease or dying from it. Senior study authors Canqing Yu and Liming Li of Peking University Health Science Center in Beijing didn’t respond to a request for comments.

Another limitation is that the results in China might not apply in other parts of the world. The study participants were typically a healthy weight, and most of them didn’t have high blood pressure or a family history of heart disease.

In the U.S. - where most adults are overweight or obese and eat a Western diet heavy on meat and potatoes and light on fruits and vegetables - the connection between eggs and heart disease might look quite different.

For optimal heart health, the AHA recommends the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet or a Mediterranean-style diet. Both diets emphasize unsaturated vegetable oils, nuts, fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, whole grains, fish and poultry, and both limit red meat, as well as foods and drinks high in added sugars and salt.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Egg-zactly!

Why Are Eggs Good for You? An Egg-Ceptional Superfood
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...s-good-for-you
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

LOL, did you guys even read the study?!

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    LOL, did you guys even read the study?!
    Go on..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Thanks to the anti food zealot screeching in, I will now add half a pack of bacon to my morning eggs.

Flashback:

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Thanks to the anti food zealot screeching in
    Don't call dannno that. Just because he basically preaches against eating carbs doesn't mean he's a zealot.

I will now add half a pack of bacon to my morning eggs.
    Do it! Do it! Do it! Some people need to be culled from the gene pool.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Flashback:
    Mercola, the "Dr" who's so confident in his low-carb diet recommendations that he still feels the need to sell hundreds of unproven dietary supplements on his website?! lol

Funny that no low-fat diet doctors sell supplements on their sites, huh?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't call dannno that. Just because he basically preaches against eating carbs doesn't mean he's a zealot.
    lol what are you, in the third grade?

Mercola, the "Dr" who's so confident in his low-carb diet recommendations that he still feels the need to sell hundreds of unproven dietary supplements on his website?! lol

Funny that no low-fat diet doctors sell supplements on their sites, huh
    ?
    Bob Martin does and always has, AFAIK. Pretty much SOP in the medical industry, it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Funny that no low-fat diet doctors sell supplements on their sites, huh?
    It tells me that Dr. Mercola cares about the health of his customers and the low-fat doctors don't.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    lol what are you,
    Oh, so I'm a "zealot" for advocating for a low-fat diet, but everyone here who advocates for a low-carb diet isn't?! #hypocrisy

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Bob Martin does and always has, AFAIK. Pretty much SOP in the medical industry, it seems.
    Who the heck is Bob Martin?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It tells me that Dr. Mercola cares about the health of his customers and the low-fat doctors don't.
    Since when is selling snake oil caring about your customers? It usually means caring about their bank account. Mercola is a quack. You're welcome for giving you the head's up about him.

A few notes from the article:

But that doesn’t mean people should be rushing to make a three-egg omelet every day for breakfast.

That’s because the study doesn’t offer any insight into the risk of heart disease or stroke associated with more than one egg a day, Djousse said.

The study wasn’t a controlled experiment designed to prove whether or how eggs might impact the risk of developing cardiovascular disease or dying from it. Senior study authors Canqing Yu and Liming Li of Peking University Health Science Center in Beijing didn’t respond to a request for comments.

Another limitation is that the results in China might not apply in other parts of the world. The study participants were typically a healthy weight, and most of them didn’t have high blood pressure or a family history of heart disease.

In the U.S. - where most adults are overweight or obese and eat a Western diet heavy on meat and potatoes and light on fruits and vegetables - the connection between eggs and heart disease might look quite different.

Just finished eating a huuuuuge chef salad with all the fixings and two soft boiled eggs. I also made a Caesar dressing with raw eggs. YUM!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Just finished eating a huuuuuge chef salad with all the fixings and two soft boiled eggs. I also made a Caesar dressing with raw eggs. YUM!
    Have you ever had zucchini hash browns? SO GOOD! There are different ways to make them out there, but fundamentally they're just eggs, zucchini, onions, and some spices browned in a skillet. (that's the way I learned, at least)
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Have you ever had zucchini hash browns? SO GOOD! There are different ways to make them out there, but fundamentally they're just eggs, zucchini, onions, and some spices browned in a skillet. (that's the way I learned, at least)
    The ones I make are called Zucchini fritters which is on the same premise you described.

I have altered this recipe I got on https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/zucchini-fritters-2

Fritters
    1 1/2 pounds zucchini (about 3 medium), grated
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour Coconut flour
    3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives or onion (sweet)
    1 tablespoon cornstarch organic Tapioca Flour
    Freshly ground black pepper

I pan fry them in ghee.

I make a horseradish dip that I got here: http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...ish-dip-480481

INGREDIENTS Nutrition
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 cup sour cream
    2 Tbsp. organic dehydrated onions
    1⁄4 cup prepared chili sauce I add Korean chili flakes
    1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons prepared horseradish sauce

Mmm, my mouth is watering for these.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    / thread.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    / thread.
    Not really. There's nothing in eggs that triggers the kind of response that causes heart disease (inflammation). Eggs just offer us a useful and important macronutrient(fat) and litany of micronutrients(vitamins). I know this to be fact because I have a great interest in sport nutrition. Eggs are a dietary staple for all manner of athletes for a reason.

Oh, so I'm a "zealot" for advocating for a low-fat diet, but everyone here who advocates for a low-carb diet isn't?! #hypocrisy
    LMAO! There is a pretty significant difference between,

"Hey! I tried this low-carb diet and it's great! Y'all outta try this! I'm goin Paleo!"

and

"IF YOU EAT ANYTHING THAT COMES FROM AN ANIMAL, THE HUMAN RACE DESERVES TO DIE!!"

ROFL!

Since when is selling snake oil caring about your customers? It usually means caring about their bank account. Mercola is a quack. You're welcome for giving you the head's up about him.
    Just because some vegan-religious dingbat in the interwebs says someone is a quack doesn't make it so.

Personally I prefer Dr. Group, Global Healing Center, and Dr. John Bergman.... but because they are neither vegans nor establishmentarian pharmacological practitioners, you will call them quacks too.

Not really. There's nothing in eggs that triggers the kind of response that causes heart disease (inflammation). Eggs just offer us a useful and important macronutrient(fat) and litany of micronutrients(vitamins). I know this to be fact because I have a great interest in sport nutrition. Eggs are a dietary staple for all manner of athletes for a reason.
    That actually wasn't my point. I didn't say anything about eggs.

I was merely highlighting the statement "most Americans are overweight or obese" and eat a Western diet heavy on meat, etc.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

I was merely highlighting the statement "most Americans are overweight or obese" and eat a Western diet heavy on meat, etc.
    oic. But the Western diet is also LOADED with sugar and preservatives, which we know without a doubt makes people (and animals) fat. It's in everything. Gotta take that into consideration too when you make any sweeping comment on the SAD diet.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Meat doesn't make you fat.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

oic. But the Western diet is also LOADED with sugar and preservatives, which we know without a doubt makes people (and animals) fat. It's in everything. Gotta take that into consideration too when you make any sweeping comment on the SAD diet.
    I think that with the trendiness of Paleo and other meat–heavy diets, there has been an overemphasis on sugar as the culprit... Why, because no one wants to come anywhere close to acknowledging that meat and dairy are linked to cancer, obesity, heart disease, etc. So let's blame it all on sugar. Absolutely no one wants to give up their cherished bacon, steak, hamburgers, etc.

In fact, it seems that some people would rather die than even remotely consider their animal products might be bad for a number of reasons. Believe me, I get it. I went for many years avoiding looking into these things, because I loved eating all that stuff. I get it.

― Henry David Thoreau

People are not overweight because they eat a diet heavy in meat, it is because they eat a diet high in carbs (particularly refined ones).

A high fat, low carb diet is conducive to weight loss.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    People are not overweight because they eat a diet heavy in meat, it is because they eat a diet high in carbs (particularly refined ones).

A high fat, low carb diet is conducive to weight loss.
    ^ Case in point.

Carbs are only bad if you're eating things like cookies, Doritos, soda, etc. Eating a healthy, whole foods plant-based diet (which is a high carb diet, of the good variety) is a completely different story.

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Meat doesn't make you fat.
    I didn't actually make that claim. But it is true that meat eaters have a much higher obesity rate than vegans and vegetarians. It's just common sense that eating things like McDonald's, Kentucky fried chicken, and other greasy "food" (look at the people who eat that stuff… most of them are obese) is far more likely to lead to obesity and other health problems than eating a healthy plant-based diet. Plus, people who eat the SAD are probably on average less concerned with health in general, and exercise.

― Henry David Thoreau

I didn't actually make that claim. But it is true that meat eaters have a much higher obesity rate than vegans and vegetarians. It's just common sense that eating things like McDonald's, Kentucky fried chicken, and other greasy "food" (look at the people who eat that stuff… most of them are obese) is far more likely to lead to obesity and other health problems than eating a healthy plant-based diet. Plus, people who eat the SAD are probably on average less concerned with health in general, and exercise.
    A balanced diet is the healthiest, meat is good for you:

A new study, published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, has found that certain food groups could affect the age at which the menopause starts.
    Researchers from the University of Leeds used data about the health and reproductive history of more than 14,150 women living in the UK. They were asked to complete a questionnaire about their diet, then the researchers followed up with them four years later.

Out of the whole group, about 900 women between the ages of 40 and 65 had experienced the start of their menopause by the time of the follow up.
    When analysing their diets, the researchers found women who had a diet rich in oily fish and fresh legumes like chickpeas and lentils were more likely to have a delayed start to the menopause by an average of nearly three years.
    A higher intake of vitamin B6 and zinc were also linked with later menopause, and eating meat was associated with menopause arriving almost a year later than a vegetarian diet.
    In particular, childless women who ate more grapes and poultry reached menopause significantly later as well.
    Women who ate a lot of refined (white) pasta and rice were more likely to start the menopause one and a half years earlier, on average.

More at: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-d...edium=referral

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast