Thread: The 700+ HP, 200MPH, 0-60 in 3 seconds, Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk

Exclamation The 700+ HP, 200MPH, 0-60 in 3 seconds, Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2018...kee-trackhawk/

By eric - May 19, 20180131

There is something wrong with the Dodge Challenger (and Charger) Hellcat. Not the 707 horsepower under their hoods.

There can be nothing wrong with that.

Ever.

The problem is that everyone knows they have 707 hp under their hoods. Your intentions couldn’t be more obvious. Might as well pull up right beside a cop and do a burnout. And even if you don’t, he knows you are planning to.

This makes it harder to act on those intentions without repercussions.

But almost no one knows there is a Jeep with the same 707 horsepower engine under its hood. Which makes it so much easier to have fun regularly – and without the repercussions.

The Hellcat Challenger and Charger also have another limitation – one which doesn’t afflict the Trackhawk.

Neither of them is a rainy day supercar. They are built for speed on dry, paved roads.

This Jeep, on the other hand… .

WHAT IT IS

A three-seconds-to-sixty Hellcat in didden do nuffins Grand Cherokee drag.

The same 6.2 liter supercharged V8, ultra-performance everything plus all-wheel-drive, eight inches of ground clearance and without the bear-baiting obviousness of what you’re up to.

It stickers for $86,995.

This is substantially more than the Hellcat ($64,295 for the Challenger version). You could even buy the new 840 hp Demon ($83,295) and still pay less. But what you’re paying for here, in addition to the obvious, is what’s not.

Stealth.

And if that doesn’t sway you, there’s something else which might.

Performance.

Superior perfomance.

The Trackhawk is quicker under certain conditions than the Hellcat and the Demon – and unlike either of them, its ultra-performance capabilities aren’t restricted to dry and paved roads only.

WHAT’S NEW

The Trackhawk is the newest home for the Hellcat’s supercharged 6.2 liter V8 . . . plus some other things.

It’s the first time the almost-Nextel-Cup V8 has been paired with the traction advantage of AWD and the off-paved-roads advantage of eight inches of ground clearance.

It’s fast and discreet – and it goes fast almost anywhere. You can launch with less smoke – and there’s less slip.

Which is why the Trackhawk is nearly as quick as the Hellcat (and Demon) on dry pavement, quicker when it’s wet and can tackle roads and conditions neither of them can.

WHAT’S GOOD

A Hellcat without the advertising.

With much more traction.

Can do other things a Hellcat can’t – including tow as much as 7,200 lbs.

Uses less gas than you might think.

WHAT’S NOT SO GOOD

Radius of action is limited by how much gas it can carry – which is the same amount of gas as a 295 hp V6 Cherokee carries.

Hard to drive with the herd.

Even though it’s a bargain given what you get, it’s still hard to get unless you can afford the almost six-figure sticker.

UNDER THE HOOD

Maybe you remember the garage scene in the original Mad Max. Over in the corner, the last of the V8 Interceptors – supercharger poking through its hood, making goosebumps-raising gear-whine noises as Max blips the throttle.

Similar situation here – including the blower whine, which they haven’t muted. Blip the Trackhawk’s throttle and you will hear it sing, too.

The main difference here is that the blower is discreetly tucked under the Trackhawk’s just vaguely suspicious-looking hood, with its pair of deeply inset hot-air bleeds dropping hints about what lies beneath.

The air scoop is mounted on the down low – where the fog lights would be if this were a standard-issue Grand Cherokee. It ducts colder, denser air from below and feeds it to a water main-sized 92 mm throttle body up top, which pipes the air to the twin-screw supercharger, where it is compressed (11.6 psi of boost) and then stuffed into the 6.2 V8’s cylinders.

The 6.2 V8’s high-flow heads are aluminum but the block is cast iron – which is heavier but also very hard to hurt. Ditto the forged steel crank, which touts “induction-hardened bearing surfaces so strong it can withstand firing pressures of nearly 1,600 PSI – the equivalent of five family sedans standing on each piston.”

There is also a high-performance intake cooling system designed to keep the temperature of the incoming air charge below 140 degrees – critical to the production of maximum power in a supercharged engine, which generates a lot of heat (picture the twin screws inside the blower rotating at close to 15,000 RPM).

Cast iron headers (too bad you can’t seem them) and Hemi orange paint for the block (which you can see) round out the package.

It all adds up to the mightiest street-legal/production engine V8 on the road – except for the 840 hp version of this V8 that’s available in the Demon, a raise-you-three version of the Challenger that Dodge figured would keep the people who’ve gotten used to the Hellcat entertained.

Uniquely, the Trackhawk combines the 6.2 V8’s might with a high-performance all-wheel-drive system which (in Track mode) sends 70 percent of the engine’s power to the rear wheels and 30 percent to the front wheels. This enables spectacularly hard launches on wet pavement, which is where the Trackhawk has an acceleration advantage over the rear-drive-only Hellcat and Demon.

Even the Demon – its stupendous 840 hp notwithstanding – isn’t much quicker on dry pavement. It takes 2.8 seconds to achieve 60 vs. just over 3 for the Trackhawk. That is enough to lift the Demon’s front wheels off the ground coming off the starting line. But it’s not enough to shake the Trackhawk, which will only be about a car length off the Demon’s bumper at the end of the quarter-mile.

ON THE ROAD

Wetness doesn’t put the kibosh on the fun – and that’s key to understanding the appeal of this thing – and why it’s well worth the extra $20k vs. the Hellcat..

No need to dial things back when it starts to rain. Even if it is pouring rain, you can let loose the full fury of the supercharged V8.

That’s not a good idea in the RWD Hellcat.

Launch control, stability control and traction control can only control so much. Physics controls the rest. It can be fun to go sideways down the road, contrails of tire smoke in your wake.

But a wet road is Kryptonite for the Hellcat – as far as going fast goes. You can still drive it, but not all out. It won’t run to 60 in three seconds in the pouring rain. You had better dial it back until the road dries off.

If you want to be a weather-independent Road Warrior, then the Trackhawk is the perfect Interceptor for you.

That goes for gravel roads, too.

Muddy, rutted, washed-out gravel roads aren’t meant for cars generally – and forget cars like the Hellcat, which have vulnerable chin spoilers, low-hanging mufflers and no all-wheel-drive to claw you up an unpaved 13 percent grade in a downpour.

Easy meat for the Trackhawk – which is after all a Grand Cherokee and so one of the ablest SUVs on the road – or off.

You can also run fast on gravel/rutted/muddy roads.

This is an expansion of fun as well as a different kind of fun.

There is a practical element to it as well – and it’s not merely that you can take the off-the-beaten-path.

It is that The Man can’t.

Not if The Man is in a car, at any rate. And if he is in another SUV he won’t be able to keep up with the tracks you’re making. All you need to do is put some distance between you and him – and that’s not hard thing in this thing. Once you’ve done that, the Trackhawk’s other virtue comes to the fore:

It looks like just another Cherokee.

Fade away into the crowd.

AT THE CURB

Mopar muscle cars were not just known for their speed but also for their look-at-me looks. A Panther Pink ’70 AAR ‘Cuda isn’t going to pass by unnoticed – even if it’s doing less than the posted speed limit.

It’s smarter to be stealthier. That way, you can exceed the speed limit and stand a better chance of passing by unnoticed.

There are a few tells, but – like in Vegas, at the high-roller’s table – it takes an expert to spot them. There is that somewhat un-Cherokee hood, for instance. With its meshed-grille air vents off to either side.

Hmmmm…

Those really big brake calipers. These come powder-coated bright yellow; Jeep ought to offer a “black out” option.

How come there are no fog lights?

There are four exhaust tips. How many is a Cherokee supposed to have?

But so many SUVs – and so many cars – have big wheels, powder-coated brake calipers and multiple-tip exhaust.

But none have 707 horses under their hoods.

The Jeep does,but doesn’t make too much of an issue out of it.

The Hellcat, meanwhile . . .

Also, it can’t take your crew on a hell ride. The Jeep can. Five of you. Plus pull a heavy trailer. Anywhere you want to go – as fast as you dare and regardless of the weather.

The obvious tells – other than under the hood – are on the inside. Real carbon fiber on the door panels and dash; not the cheap imitation stuff you find in pretenders. A 200 MPH speedometer – which the Trackhawk can just about peg. The dragstrip Christmas tree button for the Launch Control adjacent to the rotary knob controller for the other modes. Including Sport, Track, Tow and Snow modes, which you can further custom-configure to your liking via the 8.4 inch LCD UConnect touchscreen.

There are also the Hellcat/Trackhawk-specific Performance Pages apps, which include a real-time horsepower and torque dynamometer, lap time/acceleration/G force recorders and LCD gauges for almost any engine/operating parameter you might want to keep an eye on. For the back seaters, dual DVD monitors.

A fantastic 825 watt/19 speaker Harman Kardon audio rig is available, too – but the supercharger sounds so good you’ll probably never listen to it.

You’v also got almost 70 cubic feet of total cargo capacity with the second row seats folded flat – and that’s another thing the Hellcat and the Demon haven’t got.

THE REST

The Trackhawk rates 11 city, 17 highway – which is actually not bad mileage, given what you’ve got. In the ’70s, V8 powered cars got about the same mileage – but had about five times less power.

Now you’ve got power – almost unbelievable power – and the appetite isn’t much worse. Hell, a current Toyota Sienna minivan with a 3.5 liter V6 only rates 18 city, 24 highway – and it does not have 707 hp and doesn’t get to 60 in just over three seconds, either.

The Trackhawk’s not-bad mileage only seems bad because of its relatively small tank. If it had a 30 gallon tank instead of 24.6 gallons (the same as a base V6 Grand Cherokee) it’d have a city range of 330-something miles instead of just over 260.

The fuel fill, incidentally, is capless. Just pop the door and insert the nozzle. FiatChrysler (which includes Dodge and Jeep) is making that change across the lineup, chiefly to eliminate the problem of people not properly tightening the gas cap and because of that, triggering the “check engine” emissions control light to come on.

Is there anything not to like about this thing? Yeah, one thing.

Not many of us can afford to buy it. That goes for the Hellcat, too.

Sigh.

THE BOTTOM LINE

That old saying about speed being just a question of money is still true, but with an asterisk.

Speed is also a question of stealth.

How much speed do you want to get away with?
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

There oughtta be a law
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That's a hefty sticker price. And were it not a Jeep I might be inclined to love it a little more. But, a Jeep is supposed to be iconic. I hate that new styling. And would much rather have 4WD vs. AWD.

Thats about what I pd for muh last house . Maybe Danke will let me drive the one he buys .
    Last edited by oyarde; 05-20-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    Do something Danke

Let's throw on a lift and some 44's and go offroading!

It looks like just another Cherokee.
    No, it doesn't.

Of course what THEY think a Cherokee looks like:

Last edited by fedupinmo; 05-20-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

If only I could squish all of that under the hood of my XJ.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "It stickers for $86,995" That is so unfathomable to me.

I drive an 07 Impala with 88000 miles on it. I had a service that cost over 2k a couple of years ago and just had to take it to the dealer because the engine light was on. I was thinking this weekend about getting a different vehicle. Then I started looking at prices on cargurus and thought better of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    "It stickers for $86,995" That is so unfathomable to me.

I drive an 07 Impala with 88000 miles on it. I had a service that cost over 2k a couple of years ago and just had to take it to the dealer because the engine light was on. I was thinking this weekend about getting a different vehicle. Then I started looking at prices on cargurus and thought better of it.
    I actually really liked my 06 Impala . I bought it in 07 . I traded it in in 09 but just because it was pd for and I needed to replace a truck and I wanted what they were willing to give me for it to put towards the truck. Great car , good mileage and power for the money . It is unreal what the sticker price is now on some of this stuff .
    Do something Danke

Nice! I hope they come out with a fuel-efficient electric version.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Nice! I hope they come out with a fuel-efficient electric version.
    Figured you'd be promoting these for the Texas kops......

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Figured you'd be promoting these for the Texas kops......
    They would look good in Police Blue, or even better, leave them unmarked for stealth
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Thats about what I pd for muh last house . Maybe Danke will let me drive the one he buys .

I already got one.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

This is where we part ways. People who drive Jeeps are always $#@!s, therefore I don't like Jeeps.

Yah yah yah...so yeah, I know it's expensive, and yeah, I know, it's computerized...I didn't know I was a dick for driving a Jeep...(good thing I'm not a female Subaru driver)

But ya'll are lying dogs if you can honestly say you would not want to mash the throttle on that and wring it the $#@! out, or haul ass through the twisties or do a 1/4 mile in 11 seconds with the family truckster.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    C'mon, this thing is the epitome of over the top, go fast and not give a $#@!, real life 'Murica and freedom.

It's the full auto AR15, with 100 round drum mags, of the automotive world.

The ultimate $#@!-you to the green creep statists, eco-twinks, global warming alarmists, sandal wearing Agenda 21 busybodies and polar bear fornicators.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-21-2018 at 12:53 AM.

I'd drive it.

The $#@!s around here usually drive those small pick up trucks with giant tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Straight line monstrous acceleration is awesome, but handling is nice, too. I notice there's no mention of handling in the OP.

If I can afford 87K, I can afford 121K for something like this.

I can't afford any of that, so I'll slum with my '14 Z-car.

Quote Originally Posted by buck000 View Post
    Straight line monstrous acceleration is awesome, but handling is nice, too. I notice there's no mention of handling in the OP.

$1500 cars here. A 2002 Blazer and a 1998 F150. If I buy anything nice my husband ruins it so I just don't buy anything nice.

Quote Originally Posted by buck000 View Post

I drive a standard Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Now, I'll be the first to admit, it doesn't handle like the 'Vette you mentioned, or the "nothing out of the ordinary" VW I used to have.

But I do have to hand it to Jeep/Dodge (the Cherokee is a Durango and vice versa)/Fiat on the design of the suspension on this ride.

The AWD system performs nicely, the body roll and sway has been reduced to almost nothing, very little oversteer or understeer.

It really does handle nice, for what it is...kind of like driving a birdcage Maserati while standing up (I nicked that bit from PJ O'Rourke, when he described the Ford F-150 Lightning from 25 years ago).

And my standard 220 cid (3L) V6 makes 90 more HP than the Tipo 61 did.

Now, from what I have read, there have been numerous tweaks, upgrades and refinements made to the TrackHawk version, which improves that handling even more.

I'll report back, because I am making an appointment to test drive one.

And it bears repeating:

You can't haul ass from the cops across a field or mud or sand in a 'Vette.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'd drive it.

The $#@!s around here usually drive those small pick up trucks with giant tires.
    Well good for you, glad somebody likes it.

Bunch of old fahts and fuddy duddies around here...youth is wasted on the young.

Bunch of old fahts and fuddy duddies around here...youth is wasted on the young.
    Yeah, they'll be sorry one day when we outrun the cops and they all get caught and end up doing hard labor in a FEMA camp.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I can borrow Dankes while he is out of town and drive it like it is stolen .
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I like the idea,, just not the styling. or uncontrollable computers.

I like the IDEA.. have had the same for a while,,
    I would just do it a bit different..

Now if they stuffed the same in that JEEP looking Jeep pick-up truck,,,

"Rally Fighter" is still my pick.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

A glorified soccar practice van.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I can borrow pick up Dankes while he is out of town and drive it like it is stolen .
    FIFY