Thread: DB Cooper identified? Publisher says mystery hijacker was ex-paratrooper from Michigan

DB Cooper identified? Publisher says mystery hijacker was ex-paratrooper from Michigan

DB Cooper identified? Publisher says mystery hijacker was ex-paratrooper from Michigan
    Fox News Thu, May 17

More than 45 years after a mysterious plane hijacker made off with $200,000 in ransom money, disappearing into the night sky, a publishing company believes it has finally identified the man who eluded authorities for so long.

At a news conference on Thursday, Michigan publisher Principia Media said the hijacker, known as D.B. Cooper, was former military paratrooper and intelligence operative Walter R. Reca. The company said it worked with Reca's best friend, Carl Laurin, in compiling the evidence.

While the publisher did not disclose whether Reca was still alive, an obituary online lists a man with the identical name who lived in Oscada, Mich., as having died in 2014 at the age of 80.

An FBI sketch of D.B. Cooper and Walter Reca during a rare visit home in 1984 during his clandestine years working in the Middle East. (FBI/Photo courtesy of Principia Media)

"Evidence, including almost-daily discussions over a 14-year period and 3+ hours of audio recordings featuring the skyjacker, was compiled by Reca’s best friend. It was then analyzed by a Certified Fraud Examiner and forensic linguist," the publisher said in a news release. "The audio recordings, created in 2008, include Reca discussing skyjacking details that were not known to the public prior to the FBI’s information release in 2015."

The publishing company worked with Laurin for the memoir "D.B. Cooper & Me: A Criminal, A Spy, My Best Friend.”

Vern Jones, CEO of Principia, talked about recordings that Laurin claimed were actual recordings of Reca speaking about the heist. Jones, a self-proclaimed skeptic at the start of the investigation, said that the evidence was “overwhelming.”

"D.B. Cooper & Me: A Criminal, A Spy, My Best Friend", which claims Cooper was actually Walter "Walt" Reca from Michigan.

“We listened in Walter’s own words. We heard him talk about his motivations for the hijacking. (He) talked about the jump itself, what happened in the plane. Where he landed. How he got home -- and most importantly, why he wasn’t caught.”

Jones played one of the audio clips that described how Reca supposedly snuck the ransom note on the plane.

“Now where did you carry your note?” Laurin can be heard asking. “The inside pockets of the suit,” Reca replied. Laurin then asks what the note was about, to which Reca abruptly replies “I can’t remember right there, this is a hijack and I’ve got explosives.”

Water Reca as seen in Detroit in the mid-1970s. (Photo courtesy of Lisa Story.)

The rest of the audio clip describes the moments inside the plane when Reca was preparing to jump.

In addition to the tapes, Jones said they reviewed letters, official documents, photos and even a typed confession, all of which seem to corroborate Laurin’s theory that “Walter Reca is the real D.B. Cooper.”

Jones also seemed to hint that the discrepancies between Principia’s investigation and the FBI’s investigation might not have been accidental. “The hijacking,” he said “was just the beginning of the story.”

He detailed a supposed meeting between Reca and “two men in hard hats” two months after the heist where he was asked by these two unknown men if he was prepared to go to “prison.” Reca was reportedly hired by them, though it is unclear if the two men Jones talked about were FBI agents. Laurin himself spoke at the press conference and described Reca as a daredevil.

A flier for a Michigan Parachute Team event. The MPC was a group of young men who performed daredevil parachuting stunts. (Photo courtesy of Principia Media.)

Laurin said he always suspected Reca was D.B. Cooper.

A photo of the Michigan Parachute Team reunion in 2000. Bottom row (L to R): Carl Laurin, Walt Reca, Willard; Top row (L to R): Hank Lussier, Bill Parker, Mike Lussier and Art Lussier. (Photo courtesy of Principia Media)

In 1971, on the night before Thanksgiving, a man calling himself Dan Cooper, wearing a black tie and a suit, boarded a Seattle-bound Boeing 727 in Oregon and told a flight attendant he had a bomb in a briefcase. He gave her a note demanding money. After the plane landed, he released the 36 passengers in exchange for $200,000 in ransom and parachutes. The ransom was paid in $20 bills.

The hijacker then ordered the plane to fly to Mexico, but near the Washington-Oregon border he jumped and was never seen or heard from again.

DB COOPER SLEUTH CLAIMS HIJACKER WAS CIA OPERATIVE, FBI IS 'FLAT-OUT LYING' ABOUT CASE

After the skyjacking, Reca later became a high-level covert intelligence operative, according to the publishing company.

Reca possessed skills to survive jumping out of the plane because he was on the Michigan Parachute Team, according to the publisher. He attended the team reunion in 2000 and was pictured in a photo released by the publisher.

Despite the claims of the publishing company, the FBI has never ruled out the possibility that the hijacker was killed in the jump -- which took place during a rainstorm at night, over rough, wooded terrain. The hijacker's clothing and footwear were also unsuitable for a rough landing.

Over the years the most lasting image of Cooper, who became somewhat of a legend, may be the two sketches the FBI released of the suspect.

Many investigators have come forward with their theories for who the infamous hijacker may be. Earlier this year, the leader of the private investigative team who has spent years trying to crack the D.B. Cooper hijacking case claimed he believes the mysterious criminal was a CIA operative whose identity has been covered up by federal agents.

FBI RELEASES 1971 LETTER THAT D.B. COOPER SLEUTH SAYS COULD BE FROM NOTORIOUS HIJACKER

Thomas Colbert, a documentary filmmaker who helped put together the 40-member team, said in January his team made the connection from work a code breaker uncovered in each of five letters allegedly sent by Cooper.

Since last January, the FBI has released more than 3,000 documents to Colbert's team investigating the hijacking. The FBI said in court papers that it has more than 71,000 documents that may be responsive to Colbert’s lawsuit.

Fox News' Ryan Gaydos and Robert Gearty contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/17...-michigan.html
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good.

I am tired of trying to convince people that I'm not.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Good.

I am tired of trying to convince people that I'm not.
    That made me chuckle...honestly, I hope it was this guy and that he made and lived a long life afterwards.

That was a nice read. I've seen some documentaries on this case and it's still very interesting.

Just a nice story, how nobody really got hurt and the hijacker got away with a bunch of money, never to be seen again.

The hijacker's clothing and footwear were also unsuitable for a rough landing.
    A parachute definitely is the most important accessory to wear when jumping from an airplane, apart from that, maybe not suitable but it could still work fine.
    "I am a bird"

Yeah. I hope its never officially solved, and the guy lived a long, happy life in paradise.

Should we condone or be happy that thieves are successful?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Should we condone or be happy that thieves are successful?
    Be happy.

Or we can be eternally woeful a (dead) guy got away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Be happy.

Or we can be eternally woeful a (dead) guy got away with it.
    So if a guy breaks into your safe and steals a million dollars and gets away with it we should all celebrate?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So if a guy breaks into your safe and steals a million dollars and gets away with it we should all celebrate?
    Yes.

Or you can piss on the mood of this topic and just rail against thieves, as if we weren't all aware muh stealing is bad.

We can't watch Robin Hood movies anymore. Not only was he a *gasp* FOLK hero, he stole $#@!.
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 05-19-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Yes.
    Sounds very libertarian to me.

Sounds very libertarian to me.
    You got me. RED handed.

Yes.

Yeah. I hope its never officially solved, and the guy lived a long, happy life in paradise.

We can't watch Robin Hood movies anymore. Not only was he a *gasp* FOLK hero, he stole $#@!.
    Truthfully, I hope he broke his neck on the fall and was eaten by a bear. But I don't really care that much either way.

As far as Robinhood, it is kind of strange he is looked up to. Rob from the rich and give to the poor is an awful message to teach kids. I used to watch this popular Saturday morning cartoon called Captain Planet. Looking back, it was basically just anti-capitalist propaganda. All the villains were businessmen.

I see this was pointed out way back on Ron Paul Forums. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...aganda-cartoon
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 05-19-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    As far as Robinhood, it is kind of strange he is looked up to. Rob from the rich and give to the poor is an awful message to teach kids.

You both don't know anything about the real Robinhood... Back then, the "rich" were the kings who taxed (stole) from the people, and Robinhood stole the money back from the government and gave it back to the people to whom it rightfully belonged. Really he is like Ron Paul.

But ya, unfortunately the tale was twisted around by those who were in power because folk heroes who are anti-government are never popular with those who hold political power.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Truthfully, I hope he broke his neck on the fall and was eaten by a bear. But I don't really care that much either way.
    Kind of strange to hope the guy broke his neck over not caring either way.

Do we at RPFs condone breaking necks?

As far as Robinhood, it is kind of strange he is looked up to. Rob from the rich and give to the poor is an awful message to teach kids. I used to watch this popular Saturday morning cartoon called Captain Planet. Looking back, it was basically just anti-capitalist propaganda. All the villains were businessmen.

I see this was pointed out way back on Ron Paul Forums. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...aganda-cartoon
    Was Kelly's Heroes communist propaganda? Those who didn't earn it took what never belonged to them. Not only that, it was made in the communist era, so unlike Robin Hood it could possibly have been red propaganda. Therefore Kelly's Heroes was commie propaganda.

Reca was never on the fbi short list of viable suspects with the right credentials . Most people can be eliminated once you find out where they were on the night before Thanksgiving .

Robin Hood stole from the government and gave it back to the people.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Was Kelly's Heroes communist propaganda? Those who didn't earn it took what never belonged to them. Not only that, it was made in the communist era, so unlike Robin Hood it could possibly have been red propaganda. Therefore Kelly's Heroes was commie propaganda.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Kind of strange to hope the guy broke his neck over not caring either way.

Do we at RPFs condone breaking necks?
    My life won't change as a result of anything that happens related to this. That is what I meant by not caring too much.

I don't know if other people condone breaking necks on Ron Paul Forums, but I do. I wish bad things on bad people. The guy hijacked a plane and stole $200,000. I don't want to see someone get away with that. I hope someone like that falls to his death. I don't see a libertarian case for hijacking planes.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 05-19-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Why does a libertarian case need to be made?