Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best candidates for Libertarian Party 2020

Cool Best candidates for Libertarian Party 2020

Give us your thoughts on who would be the best for libertarians to run for president in 2020 and why.
    If I was a statist, this would rock me back: YouTube - Michael Badnarik on liberty

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unfortunately it may be that Donald Trump would be best for libertarians in the long-run, even though he isn't much of a libertarian. By cleaning out the deep state and crushing the credibility of the MSM and establishment, we may find a much more clear path to political power in the future.

But I'm certainly open to other options.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Petersen/Bundy 2020

Austin Petersen & Ammon Bundy.

No close ties to the D&R crime syndicate. A bonus is that Ammon has been found Not Guilty by a jury of his peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Unfortunately it may be that Donald Trump would be best for libertarians in the long-run, even though he isn't much of a libertarian. By cleaning out the deep state and crushing the credibility of the MSM and establishment, we may find a much more clear path to political power in the future.
    I tend to agree here. Trump is quietly doing some things that are very libertarian. He may well be there by 2020.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I would first need a list of people willing to run before I could give an opinion.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

If they're any good they should run as Republicans.

John Boehner is pro-marijuana. He is a shoe-in for Libertarian POTUS candidate.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    John Boehner is pro-marijuana. He is a shoe-in for Libertarian POTUS candidate.
    It's William Weld's turn. He's waited paitiently. And he's the "Original Libertarian" ...

Boehner can be VP. (Or maybe Paul Ryan, since he's free now.)
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ron Paul if he was 20 years younger.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Larry Sharpe should have been the VP candidate last time. He's one of the few competent people involved with "the party".

https://www.larrysharpe.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Dr No certainly has lost a step but would put the party over the 5% mark needed for consistent ballot access and maybe even 15% to be in the debates. But I don't think he ran in 2016 partly because he didn't want to hurt Rand's chances.
    If I was a statist, this would rock me back: YouTube - Michael Badnarik on liberty

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Adam Kokesh 2020
    Very well spoken and has military service so his cutting military stance has umpf. Not a household name but would do well in media interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFCapt View Post
    Very well spoken and has military service so his cutting military stance has umpf. Not a household name but would do well in media interviews.
    Not sure if serious.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFCapt View Post
    I don't think he ran in 2016 partly because he didn't want to hurt Rand's chances.
    I think Ron Paul was on his knees praying every night thanking the Lord that Rand ran in 2016 taking the pressure off him to put himself through that $#@! again.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Adam Kokesh 2020
    yep, Kokesh for the LP ticket in 2020 has my vote - because the LP needs a firebrand rather than the milquetoast they've been nominating... if a miracle of miracles happens and the LP candidate debates Trump in 2020, only a firebrand like Kokesh will be able to articulate a coherent libertarian message when faced with a barrage of nonsense.
    America deserves better presidential debates in 2024, and we're making it happen ourselves at Free and Equal Elections Foundation!

https://freeandequal.org/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Austin Petersen & Ammon Bundy.

No close ties to the D&R crime syndicate.
    I take it you aren't aware that Petersen is running for the Senate as a Republican as I type this sentence. Not only is he connected, he joined the syndicate itself!

http://www.businessinsider.com/austi...-ar-15-2017-10

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Nobody is not only electable, but he/she/whateveryourpreferedpronoun actually won the last election.

I wouldn't mind seeing that naked guy from the LP convention run. I'm curious about the face tattooed on his thigh. It kinds looks like Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice but I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I like Ron Paul at any age. If Ron would be will to run, he'd be a slam dunk nominee.

As far as Trump, I see issues with NAP and National Debt that would ever allow him to be the LP candidate. You can't be a LP candidate and promise a $1 trillion per year defense budget.

Oh, and "Take the guns first."
    Last edited by dean.engelhardt; 05-21-2018 at 11:04 AM.

I take it you aren't aware that Petersen is running for the Senate as a Republican as I type this sentence. Not only is he connected, he joined the syndicate itself!

Which is exactly what Ron Paul said we needed to do if we want to win.

RINO's Ron Paul & Austin Petersen - Too pro-American to be REAL Republicans

I'm aware that Austin is running for US Senate as a Republican, but he's more of a RINO like Ron Paul was. They're too good to be real Republicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    I'm aware that Austin is running for US Senate as a Republican, but he's more of a RINO like Ron Paul was. They're too good to be real Republicans.
    I don't buy it. Petersen doesn't believe in teh NAP. He is a minarchist, which makes him a statist. He actively believes the government should have the ability to force you to obey it against your will when you arenm't violating the rights of anyone else. The list of things he thinks it should be able to do that to you for may be small, but it exists. Ron was the opposite. He really does believe in an endorse the NAP, even to the point to where he thinks the Golden Rule should guide foreign policy and warfare. If anything, Ron was the RINO. Which is not something I see as a problem.

Which is exactly what Ron Paul said we needed to do if we want to win.
    Still waiting for that Libertarian wave. Ron did well at using his role as a podium from which to espouse libertarian values from. But that neither he nor anyone even close to his positions has won is telling I think. Amash is probably the closest, but he is far from as public or famous a figure as Ron.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Setting aside being good on the issues, I feel like a minimum standard should be having a job or profession unrelated to getting donations for being a libertarian.

Larry Sharpe- makes the cut

Daryl Perry - Missed cut

Austin Petersen- Missed Cut

Adam Kokesh- ummmmmm

By the way, if Kokesh gets out of jail in time to run for president in 2020 and proceeds to win, he says he’ll abolish the federal government. That could be problematic for him, though, since he said in a Fox 5 interview that he’s 70 percent disabled from his service in Iraq (he was a Marine) and now lives on government assistance.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2013/...etsy-woodruff/

Still waiting for that Libertarian wave. Ron did well at using his role as a podium from which to espouse libertarian values from. But that neither he nor anyone even close to his positions has won is telling I think. Amash is probably the closest, but he is far from as public or famous a figure as Ron.
    Not saying you're wrong, but the Tea Party had a lot in common with the Libertarians. The PTB effectively quashed them both, and a lot of people quit the party when they met the internal resistance. Our philosophy is sound, but without warriors we can't win.

I don't buy it. Petersen doesn't believe in teh NAP. He is a minarchist, which makes him a statist. He actively believes the government should have the ability to force you to obey it against your will when you arenm't violating the rights of anyone else. The list of things he thinks it should be able to do that to you for may be small, but it exists. Ron was the opposite. He really does believe in an endorse the NAP, even to the point to where he thinks the Golden Rule should guide foreign policy and warfare. If anything, Ron was the RINO. Which is not something I see as a problem.
    Still trying to keep those who want smaller government divided are we?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    I like Ron Paul at any age. If Ron would be will to run, he'd be a slam dunk nominee.

As far as Trump, I see issues with NAP and National Debt that would ever allow him to be the LP candidate. You can't be a LP candidate and promise a $1 trillion per year defense budget.

Oh, and "Take the guns first."
    I like Ron at any age too but he'll be in his mid 80s by the time the next election comes around. I much prefer a Ron where I don't have to worry about him dying in office.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I like Ron at any age too but he'll be in his mid 80s by the time the next election comes around. I much prefer a Ron where I don't have to worry about him dying in office.
    How about Ron/Rand ticket. Rand is no Ron, but there is a good chance Ron could be very productive into his 90s. Heck, Jimmie Carter is still kicking it around these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast