Thread: Scientists Find Physically Demanding Jobs Are Linked To Greater Risk of Early Death

Scientists Find Physically Demanding Jobs Are Linked To Greater Risk of Early Death

https://science.slashdot.org/story/1...of-early-death

Researchers in the Netherlands claim that a "physical activity paradox" exists, where exercise may only be good for you if it's done outside of your job. Manual laborers may be physically active all day but that doesn't actually help them. In fact, the research claims that it might actually increase their risk of dying early. "While we know leisure-time physical activity is good for you, we found that occupational physical activity has an 18% increased risk of early mortality for men," says Pieter Coenen, public health researcher at UV University medical centre in Amsterdam. "These men are dying earlier than those who are not physically active in their occupation."

He says that it's all down to the type of exercise you do in your spare time, versus occupational physical activity. When you choose to exercise, you can take rest periods when you want -- something that often may not be available to you if you're working on a building site (for example). The research combined results from 17 studies, dated between 1960 and 2010 -- looking at data on almost 200,000 people.

The study has been published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.
    This week its bad for you. Next week it will be good for you, according to the employers who demand physically stressful jobs. Then you have to look at other numbers, why the life expectancy of people in the US continues to decline...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    exercise may only be good for you if it's done outside of your job.

That is literally the most retarded thing I've ever heard.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I've had this discussion with Doctors. The latest thing is that physical labor doesn't count for some reason.

Dig a ditch? Doesn't count.
    Pull on a cable at the gym to imitate using a tool? It counts.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I've had this discussion with Doctors. The latest thing is that physical labor doesn't count for some reason.

Dig a ditch? Doesn't count.
    Pull on a cable at the gym to imitate using a tool? It counts.
    Agreed. Its always biased to make someone else money.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Probably more repetitive motion and chance for injury. Mess up your back or a knee with heavy lifting then you're less mobile or motivated to do recreational exercise. Also at the gym I choose the weight I'm comfortable with. In a job that is not up to the worker in many cases.

Physical labor might also be more dangerous than a desk job. I'm thinking of coal miners, commercial fishermen, and construction workers.

I might be at risk for a disgruntled employee going postal, but I doubt a rogue wave will overtake the building in which I work.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Agreed. Its always biased to make someone else money.
    Then how about us males? I mean, with all this talk of every individual demanded reparations or concessions for this, that, or the other, it's time males sue the Social Security Administrations. Take it straight to the Nine Clowns in Gowns! Woemens live longer than men by 5 years. It's a proven, un-condemnable, factoid.

Therefore I think men and, most probably, those that identify as men, should get a higher retirement compensation.

The study did note:

Another explanation for the association of occupational PA with mortality (in men) may be the possibility of residual confounding, as high intensity occupational PA is typically prevalent among blue collar workers from lower socioeconomic positions77 and low socioeconomic status is associated with higher mortality.60 However, instead of being a confounder, occupational PA may actually be one pathway for the known mortality risks associated with low socioeconomic status, and adjustment for socioeconomic position would thus constitute an over-adjustment, introducing a conservative bias. Socioeconomic position may also exert its effects through other pathways. Compared with high socioeconomic position groups, those with a lower socioeconomic position are known to live for shorter times and in poorer health.60 This may be related to lifestyle (eg, smoking, diet and leisure time PA) and other factors. Certain lifestyle factors may or may not have been sufficiently adjusted for in the currently presented data, despite the fact that we only included studies that adjusted for a minimum number of relevant factors. Moreover, some of these factors might actually be effect modifiers or pathway variables, for which interaction or mediation analyses would be more appropriate. These types of analyses have recently been performed with regard to leisure time PA71 and should be one focus of future occupational PA research.
    http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/20...ts-2017-098540

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hmm...

I was thinking how in my town we have a few manufacturers with people working long hours for really good pay, but we also have an extensive bar scene.

Maybe a lot of people working hard not surprisingly party hard which impacts longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Hmm...

I was thinking how in my town we have a few manufacturers with people working long hours for really good pay, but we also have an extensive bar scene.

Maybe a lot of people working hard not surprisingly party hard which impacts longevity.
    Yeah, but it balances out as you age. For most of us. Partying hard really doesn't go with working hard after your mid-thirties. Then it really drops off in 5 yr. increments.

Exercise - yup that must be it...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Then how about us males? I mean, with all this talk of every individual demanded reparations or concessions for this, that, or the other, it's time males sue the Social Security Administrations. Take it straight to the Nine Clowns in Gowns! Woemens live longer than men by 5 years. It's a proven, un-condemnable, factoid.

Therefore I think men and, most probably, those that identify as men, should get a higher retirement compensation.
    That gets skewed as soon as Zippy steps in and tells us the value of money is exactly constant, which we know is not. Also contributing to that is men not even having enough time off from work to see a doctor for major issues, even if they have insurance. For those without, its a whole new world of hurt for the educated poor.
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Exercise - yup that must be it...

I have a low tolerance for newbies, these days. More often than not, they create more work, than actually help.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    I have a low tolerance for newbies, these days. More often than not, they create more work, than actually help.
    Self starters and motivated people are becoming very hard to find.

I think the public school system is creating a lot of teat suckers - looking for someone to hold their hand on everything.

As far as patience goes, if I have to do the person's work for them, in addition to mine, I'll just get rid of the guy/gal. However, if someone comes to me with a qualified question/issue that they have spent some time on, I'm more than happy to assist.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"