Thread: Feminist Group Demands Spotify's New 'Hate Content' Policy Be Applied to Red Hot Chili Peppers

Exclamation Feminist Group Demands Spotify's New 'Hate Content' Policy Be Applied to Red Hot Chili Peppers

Feminist Group Demands Spotify's New 'Hate Content' Policy Be Applied to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eminem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzvP5_G2Uwc

The company's new policy is already giving it problems.

Christian Britschgi|May. 15, 2018 2:25 pm

When Spotify introduced its new "hate content and hateful conduct" policy—which promises to suppress songs for violent or hateful lyrics or offstage behavior—I predicted that the streaming service would soon be caught between users wanting easy access to popular music and activists demanding that artists be scrubbed from the platform.

Sure enough, the feminist group Ultraviolet has now sent a letter to Spotify thanking it for the initial steps of removing R. Kelly and XXXTentacion from official playlists— and asking that the company go further.

"These two men are not the only abusers on your platform," writes Ultraviolet's Shaunna Thomas. "We implore you to take a deeper look at the artists you promote." She goes on to call for the company to exile Eminem, Nelly, Don Henley of the Eagles, Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, Chris Brown, rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine, Ted Nugent, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

"Every time a famous individual continues to be glorified despite allegations of abuse, we wrongly perpetuate silence by showing survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence that there will be no consequences for abuse," says Thomas. "That has a cultural effect far beyond one individual artist."

Let's be clear: All these performers have done, or at least been accused of doing, awful things.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers' lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, admits to having sex with a girl he knew to be 14 years old in his autobiography Scar Tissue. (He was 23 at the time, and the incident later became the inspiration for the song "Catholic School Girls Rule.") Brown was convicted of battering his then-girlfriend Rhianna in 2009. Eminem pled guilty to a weapons charge in 2001. 6ix9ine received three years' probation for charges stemming from a film he made of himself performing sexual acts with a 13-year-old. Don Henley, Steven Tyler, and Ted Nugent have all either admitted or been accused of sleeping with underage girls.

Let's be clear about this too: Whether or not Ultraviolet is right that these musicians are "glorified" by virtue of appearing on Spotify-generated playlists and promotions, Thomas has a point when she argues that it's inconsistent to refuse to promote R. Kelly's music but not Brown's or Kiedis's. If the company is actually serious about this new policy, it'll have to go a lot further than R. Kelly and XXXTentacion.

And I mean a lot further. Ultraviolet's list just scratches the surface. Whether it's Jerry Lee Lewis marrying his 13-year-old cousin or David Bowie taking the virginity of a 14-year-old, a lot of pop stars' escapades don't conform to modern norms of affirmative consent and gender equity. There's no shortage of articles (start with this listicle from the Phoenix New Times) retelling tales of statutory rape and sexual assault by beloved rockers and rappers.

It doesn't stop there. A fair number of rappers have been convicted of murder, manslaughter, or some other violent crime. Dig into the history of Norwegian black metal and you'll learn that members of such foundational bands as Burzum, Gorgoroth, and Mayhem have been found guilty of church burnings, torture, and murdering bandmates.

And at least two out of four Beatles—John Lennon and Ringo Starr—were domestic abusers.

Needless to say, just because this kind of behavior is common in the music scene doesn't make it OK. But it does raise the question of what a music streaming service can really be expected to do about it. Indeed, blacklisting these bands may make many of Spotify's features functionally useless. What classic rock playlist would exclude the Beatles?

How to treat the work of artists who have done terrible things is a difficult question. It's made no easier by the fact that fans often cheer on musicians' worst behavior, even reveling in the idea that the violence and hedonistic excesses found in their lyrics is at least partially authentic.

It's also a question that companies like Spotify are ill-equipped to answer. Acting as the moral arbiter, as its new policy requires, will only erode the value of its service while leaving individual listeners less able to make moral judgements for themselves.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You will listen to this:

I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you. Who could have seen this coming?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I have only one question: what is Spotify?

"Everyone in the biz is a piece of $#@!. News at 11." poundmetoo

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    I have only one question: what is Spotify?

Familiar with Pandora?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Familiar with Pandora?
    It involves a box of some kind, and also tubes?

It involves a box of some kind, and also tubes?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Paper version?

Paper version?

Yes.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Yes.
    Thanks!

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7u160I5qtBYZTQMLEIJmyz

(Ill take her to the glory hole. Glory glory hole
    Take her to the glory hole, glory glory hole
    Take her to the glory hole, glory hole) x2

Lick it, kiss it, love it, don’t spit it
    Lick it, kiss it, love, it, don’t spit it
    You know you love the glory girl) x2

Oh my god its a whale, wait that’s your sister
    Just take her to the glory hole you wouldn’t have to kiss her
    Na sea mammals are not on my $#@! list
    Man, it’s a glory hole, $#@! if she’s obese
    See I’m not sure about that (hole in the wall)
    I’ve seen her on Ripley’s (hole in the wall)
    I’ve seen her getting DP’s (hole in the wall)
    DP's from hippies (hole in the wall)
    Right, I’m horny, end of story
    I’ll put this bitch to shame before ill let her taste my glory

Lick it, kiss it, love it, don’t, spit it
    ( You know you love the glory girl ) x2

God was on a break (hole in the wall)
    Facial hair (hole in the wall)
    Barney is a (hole in the wall)
    Has no tits (wall with a hole)

Declined on your facebook (hole in the wall)
    Still using myspace (hole in the wall)
    Siamese twins (two holes in the wall)
    No its just two heads (oh, hole in the wall)

Big pussy lips (hole in the wall)
    Needs two seats (hole in the wall)
    Luke I am your (father)
    If you wanna $#@! your best friend’s mother

(Hey what you’re doing) wrong hole in the wall
    Where are you darling (no, come back)
    Britney’s tryina find her glory days by looking through my…

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

"You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7u160I5qtBYZTQMLEIJmyz

(Ill take her to the glory hole. Glory glory hole
    Take her to the glory hole, glory hole) x2

You know you love the glory girl) x2

Oh my god its a whale, wait that’s your sister
    Just take her to the glory hole you wouldn’t have to kiss her
    Na sea mammals are not on my $#@! list
    Man, it’s a glory hole, $#@! if she’s obese
    See I’m not sure about that (hole in the wall)
    I’ve seen her on Ripley’s (hole in the wall)
    I’ve seen her getting DP’s (hole in the wall)
    DP's from hippies (hole in the wall)
    Right, I’m horny, end of story
    I’ll put this bitch to shame before ill let her taste my glory

God was on a break (hole in the wall)
    Facial hair (hole in the wall)
    Barney is a (hole in the wall)
    Has no tits (wall with a hole)

Declined on your facebook (hole in the wall)
    Still using myspace (hole in the wall)
    Siamese twins (two holes in the wall)
    No its just two heads (oh, hole in the wall)

Big pussy lips (hole in the wall)
    Needs two seats (hole in the wall)
    Luke I am your (father)
    If you wanna $#@! your best friend’s mother

(Hey what you’re doing) wrong hole in the wall
    Where are you darling (no, come back)
    Britney’s tryina find her glory days by looking through my…

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I'm unsure what to think of this request. It does seem like a hopeless request which at the same time sheds light on what can be seen as an uneven policy, sort of like "if weed is banned for [insert reason], why not alcohol?" The problem here is obviously the "hate content policy", just like the weed ban is the problem. If we're really going to censor content for being "hateful", then why should we also be legitimizing and enriching those who have performed actual acts that we don't like?

Should actions be taken more seriously then speech in a context like this? In a lot of cases I would think the answer should be "yes", so this effectively can function more as a spotlight on absurdity than on some sort of slippery slope.

Anyway, it's up to us the consumers to boycott services like Spotify which try to sell these "hate content policies". They aren't going to get a dime from me and hopefully better services can flourish. Sadly I have little faith in the market here because Spotify has such a powerful marketshare of established users that they are unlikely to feel the pain. I guess at least it isn't a state-enforced monopoly and after all this is one private company's decision.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Feminist Group Demands Spotify's New 'Hate Content' Policy Be Applied to Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eminem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzvP5_G2Uwc

The company's new policy is already giving it problems.

Christian Britschgi|May. 15, 2018 2:25 pm

When Spotify introduced its new "hate content and hateful conduct" policy—which promises to suppress songs for violent or hateful lyrics or offstage behavior—I predicted that the streaming service would soon be caught between users wanting easy access to popular music and activists demanding that artists be scrubbed from the platform.

Sure enough, the feminist group Ultraviolet has now sent a letter to Spotify thanking it for the initial steps of removing R. Kelly and XXXTentacion from official playlists— and asking that the company go further.

"These two men are not the only abusers on your platform," writes Ultraviolet's Shaunna Thomas. "We implore you to take a deeper look at the artists you promote." She goes on to call for the company to exile Eminem, Nelly, Don Henley of the Eagles, Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, Chris Brown, rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine, Ted Nugent, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

"Every time a famous individual continues to be glorified despite allegations of abuse, we wrongly perpetuate silence by showing survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence that there will be no consequences for abuse," says Thomas. "That has a cultural effect far beyond one individual artist."

Let's be clear: All these performers have done, or at least been accused of doing, awful things.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers' lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, admits to having sex with a girl he knew to be 14 years old in his autobiography Scar Tissue. (He was 23 at the time, and the incident later became the inspiration for the song "Catholic School Girls Rule.") Brown was convicted of battering his then-girlfriend Rhianna in 2009. Eminem pled guilty to a weapons charge in 2001. 6ix9ine received three years' probation for charges stemming from a film he made of himself performing sexual acts with a 13-year-old. Don Henley, Steven Tyler, and Ted Nugent have all either admitted or been accused of sleeping with underage girls.

Let's be clear about this too: Whether or not Ultraviolet is right that these musicians are "glorified" by virtue of appearing on Spotify-generated playlists and promotions, Thomas has a point when she argues that it's inconsistent to refuse to promote R. Kelly's music but not Brown's or Kiedis's. If the company is actually serious about this new policy, it'll have to go a lot further than R. Kelly and XXXTentacion.

And I mean a lot further. Ultraviolet's list just scratches the surface. Whether it's Jerry Lee Lewis marrying his 13-year-old cousin or David Bowie taking the virginity of a 14-year-old, a lot of pop stars' escapades don't conform to modern norms of affirmative consent and gender equity. There's no shortage of articles (start with this listicle from the Phoenix New Times) retelling tales of statutory rape and sexual assault by beloved rockers and rappers.

It doesn't stop there. A fair number of rappers have been convicted of murder, manslaughter, or some other violent crime. Dig into the history of Norwegian black metal and you'll learn that members of such foundational bands as Burzum, Gorgoroth, and Mayhem have been found guilty of church burnings, torture, and murdering bandmates.

And at least two out of four Beatles—John Lennon and Ringo Starr—were domestic abusers.

Needless to say, just because this kind of behavior is common in the music scene doesn't make it OK. But it does raise the question of what a music streaming service can really be expected to do about it. Indeed, blacklisting these bands may make many of Spotify's features functionally useless. What classic rock playlist would exclude the Beatles?

How to treat the work of artists who have done terrible things is a difficult question. It's made no easier by the fact that fans often cheer on musicians' worst behavior, even reveling in the idea that the violence and hedonistic excesses found in their lyrics is at least partially authentic.

It's also a question that companies like Spotify are ill-equipped to answer. Acting as the moral arbiter, as its new policy requires, will only erode the value of its service while leaving individual listeners less able to make moral judgements for themselves.
    There are several aspects to this situation worthy of note.

For one thing, methinks it demonstrates the virtue of not "fixing" that which ain't broken. Had Spofity kept it's idiot-hole shut about "hate", the Squat NAZIs would almost certainly not have made their similarly stooge-like shrieking noises. It reminds me of when Bernie Goetz started yapping to his neighbor about how he shot them boyz on the subway. Learn to zip thy lip.

For another, it is a private site. If they want to institute stupid policies, they are free to do so and while people do not have to like it, if they claim to be lovers of freedom and respecters of property rights, they should show respect for owner's prerogatives. If the market happens to send Spotify the way of Napster, well them's the breaks. Freedom can be a real bitch sometimes, its sharp edges cutting in all directions.

As for consistency, this Thomas wench does not in fact have a valid point. A business is not morally obliged to be consistent, so that bit is right out.

It seems clear that Spotify pooched on this in a significant way. I cannot say what prompted them to make so fully stupid a move, stirring feces best left on the bottom of the pot, lest the soup become befouled of flavor. But it's their right to run their business as well or as poorly as they might.

While the "underage girl" thing is perhaps mostly problematic, why is it that the guy is always the villain? Where are the parents of these 14 year old girls who are out on school nights, behaving like prostitutes? Come now, what's good for the gander...
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Oh, and shouldn't Gordon Lightfoot be booted? To wit:

Sundown, you'd better take care if I find you've been creeping 'round my back stair
    Sounds like a threat to me. Oh... oh... OH... I'm triggered... quickly someone... my safe space... Oy! the microaggressions!

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

When Spotify introduced its new "hate content and hateful conduct" policy—which promises to suppress songs for violent or hateful lyrics or offstage behavior
    Not gonna be much left to listen to.

I partied with Flea once, back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    the Squat NAZIs
    Squat NAZIs?

Squat Nazis...

SQUAT NAZIS!

Feminist Group Demands Spotify's New 'Hate Content' Policy Be Applied to...
    $#@! that!

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Pokemon BANNED.... hate content......

FJB

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Not gonna be much left to listen to.

I partied with Flea once, back in the day.
    Guess it's a fond adios to this:

It's all about violence... not to mention pimping one's own sister to save bacon.

The Squat NAZIs must be having fits over it all... or the will once someone here forwards this to HQ.

Lead Belly's spinning in his grave like a lathe.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows