Thread: For you people who work with networks a lot

For you people who work with networks a lot

I'm trying to set up an account with Cambly so I can $#@!ing work, but apparently I need moar connection speed. (see below) Any suggestions? thnx. ~hugs~

Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    move your mom's router into your basement.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    move your mom's router into your basement.
    That's it. Just for that I'm PoWing you. @Danke

what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I have no clue, Im not familiar with Cambly.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Did you try turning it off and on again?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Did you try turning it off and on again?

He identifies as a Russian, what do you think?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Good point. He's probably hacked his ISP by now for faster speeds
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Смеяюсь

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I mean, 30 megs is pretty good. Based on how little red they've filled in on their video bar, they're looking for a couple hundred or something? Wow. Come on. Seems kind of unreasonable.

But to answer your question, to get that kind of speed, only way I know how is: to get it.

Call up an ISP and order the gigabit plan or something. That's a lot of bandwidth for video chat, though.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    I mean, 30 megs is pretty good. Based on how little red they've filled in on their video bar, they're looking for a couple hundred or something? Wow. Come on. Seems kind of unreasonable.

But to answer your question, to get that kind of speed, only way I know how is: to get it.

Call up an ISP and order the gigabit plan or something. That's a lot of bandwidth for video chat, though.
    Ya that doesn't sound right at all, they are just bringing language tutors together with language students..

Maybe try the test again, then do a speedtest.net test and submit both results in a help request on their form.

Here is the FAQ on it

https://camblyenglish.zendesk.com/hc...our-connection
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Also, are you going over wifi or a wired connection? You might get better results over a wired connection.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post

They want more bandwidth than streaming video providers for sending 4k video. Wonder why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    They want more bandwidth than streaming video providers for sending 4k video. Wonder why that is.
    Mining Ethereum over IP.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Also, are you going over wifi or a wired connection? You might get better results over a wired connection.
    wifi. I'll see about wired if I can, thnx.

Yeah, so a couple of things are at play here:
    1) what are the technical requirements of Cambly? I checked their website but couldn't see it outlined, maybe it's discussed during account setup?
    2) what is your ISP providing you? (this is the max speed you'll be able to achieve. getting higher than this means paying for a better plan)
    **Important: Cambly was connecting to your Camera and testing speeds .. so this is an upload speed test (your camera -> internet), not download which almost everyone always talks about (because downloading TV)

If your internet plan is good enough for Cambly's requirements, then I'd go to speedtest.net and benchmark your result, make sure that your computer is utilizing what your ISP can provide you. As others have mentioned, wifi is slower than wired ethernet .
    -Without going into too much detail, WiFi isn't a dedicated link (because it's just blasting out WiFi signals, as opposed to a dedicated cable link), and it works just like walkie talkie radio (half-duplex), it only sends (talks) or receives (listens) at any one time (but obviously, computers work very quickly).
    **If the speedtest shows you're getting the required specs, then I'd talk to Cambly to see what the hold up is.

If your computer isn't getting the minimum specification, make sure to get the wired connection and re-test.
    -Also, don't be connected to VPN or be doing any other weird stuff (like running bit-torrent uploads, etc). I'm only getting 16 down/30 up on my PIA VPN right now (which is good .. I can download a couple gigabytes in 20 minutes, plenty for my use).

If your wired connection isn't getting what your ISP provides, make sure there aren't any data hogs on your network, and make sure your computer isn't really old and/or crappy (maybe try a 2nd device). If there's still issues, you'll probably have to talk to your ISP to get things ironed out.