Thread: Trump: Too Many Jobs Being Lost In China

Trump: Too Many Jobs Being Lost In China

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/13/tech...rce/index.html

Offers to help restore jobs in China. Trump had previously sanctioned the company.

President Trump says he's working with China to save ZTE

President Donald Trump said in a tweet Sunday that he's working to give China's ZTE "a way to get back into business, fast."
    Jobs in China are at risk, he said.

ZTE, a smartphone and telecom equipment maker that does business around the world, announced last week that it has halted its main operations after the Trump administration banned American companies from selling it vital components.

Now, Trump says he's working with President Xi Jinping of China to get the company back on its feet.

"Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!" Trump wrote in a tweet Sunday. The US Commerce Department did not immediately respond to multiple requests for comment Sunday.

The White House later issued a statement indicating that President Trump "expects" Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross "to exercise his independent judgment, consistent with applicable laws and regulations, to resolve the regulatory action involving ZTE based on its facts."

ZTE's current struggles have made it the most visible consequence thus far of a brewing trade war between the United States and China.

The Chinese company employs about 75,000 people. It's also the fourth largest provider of smartphones in the United States.

Last month, the Trump administration blocked American firms from selling parts or providing services to ZTE until 2025. The ban was put in place after Washington said ZTE violated a deal struck last year in which ZTE agreed to pay a $1.2 billion fine for violating US sanctions on Iran and North Korea.

ZTE denies it violated the deal and is appealing the export ban. The company warned in April, when the ban was first implemented, that it would "severely impact the survival and development" of ZTE.

Experts say the company could be circling the drain, but some have predicted a deal will be reached with the US government enabling it to survive.

The US crackdown on ZTE has been interpreted by some as part of a broader push by the United States to stifle China's tech ambition.

But ZTE has also long been the target of scrutiny for regulators and officials in the United States, which is wary of its ties to the Chinese government. The company's controlling shareholder is Shenzhen Zhongxingxin Telecommunications Equipment, a Chinese state-owned corporation.

One 2012 congressional report about ZTE and Huawei, another huge Chinese tech company, said the companies "cannot be trusted to be free of foreign state influence and thus pose a security threat to the United States and to our systems." Both companies strongly disputed the report's findings.
    Trump didn't mention it, but the Commerce Department's ban on ZTE is also affecting American companies. The Chinese firm's suppliers of smartphone chips include Qualcomm (QCOM) and Intel (INTC). It also buys parts for telecoms equipment from smaller American companies like Acacia (ABGLF) and Oclaro (OCLR), which have been hit particularly hard by the ban.

Trump has repeatedly blasted China for what he calls unfair trade practices. And a looming trade war between the United States and China has been punctuated by both nations threatening billions of dollars worth of tariffs against the other.
    More at link.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It's called negotiation, DJTvsg tooketh away and now he offereth to giveth back if the Chinese giveth him something he wanteth.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It's called negotiation, DJTvsg tooketh away and now he offereth to giveth back if the Chinese giveth him something he wanteth.
    Can we give him Zippy?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Can we give him Zippy?
    I'd rather give him to China.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'd rather give him to China.
    Don't be cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Don't be cruel.
    I'd rather be cruel to China than Trump.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'd rather be cruel to China than Trump.
    You actually have a point.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    President Donald Trump has suggested that the U.S. and China’s trade relationship is bouncing back from years of unfair deals, telling Americans to “be cool, it will all work out.”
    Trump made the comment in a tweet sent on Sunday, following an earlier message that informed his followers he was helping Chinese President Xi Jinping to improve the fortunes of phone company ZTE.
    “China and the United States are working well together on trade, but past negotiations have been so one sided in favor of China, for so many years, that it is hard for them to make a deal that benefits both countries. But be cool, it will all work out!” he said.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tel...204752949.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Just be cool, it will all work out!

Last edited by EBounding; 05-15-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Make ASIA Great Again! MAGA!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Make ASIA Great Again! MAGA!
    As long as we make America great again I don't see any reason not to.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Negotiating tactic or business? Mix of both? cui bono

I thought this was interesting.

https://thinkprogress.org/white-hous...-76456a21225a/

“The Trump Organization is involved in a project in Indonesia building hotels, golf courses, residences — it is getting up to $500 million in backing from the Chinese government,” Noah Bierman of the Los Angeles Times said during Monday’s press briefing. “Can you explain the administration’s position on A, how this doesn’t violate the emoluments clause; and B, how this wouldn’t violate the president’s own promise that his private organization would not be getting involved in new foreign deals while he was president?”

Shah didn’t even attempt to answer Bierman’s question. “I’ll have to refer you to the Trump Organization,” he said.

Bierman pushed back, pointing out to Shah that “the Trump Organization can’t speak on behalf of the president as the president — the head of the federal government, the one who is responsible, who needs to assure the American people, and they don’t have that responsibility.”

But Shah wouldn’t budge.

“You’re asking about a private organization’s dealings that may have to do with a foreign government. It’s not something I can speak to,” he said, before calling on another reporter.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

It's called negotiation...
    Then he might turn out to be even better flip-flopper negotiator than John Kerry.

Could it be due to wanting too badly to "win" Nobel Peace prize because they gave it to the last POTUS who had insuted current leader at WHCD?

Did North Korea just yank the football — and Trump's Nobel Prize — away?

Opinion Los Angeles Times 52m ago

Developing...
    Badly wanted Trump Nobel Peace Prize in the hands of China?