Thread: The Founder Of Mother's Day Died Boycotting It, Anna Jarvis' Story

The Founder Of Mother's Day Died Boycotting It, Anna Jarvis' Story

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/the-...-story-1851220

Mother's Day 2018 will be celebrated across the world on May 13. It's a day to honour the mothers and express one's love and gratitude towards them. Many, however, started to feel that this day became commercialized, including the Mother's Day founder Anna Jarvis.

Mother's Day was first celebrated in 1908, when Anna Jarvis, a US national, held a memorial for her mother at St Andrew's Methodist Church in Grafton in West Virginia. She campaigned to make Mother's Day a recognized holiday in the United States after her mother Ann Reeves Jarvis, a peace activist, died in 1905. Ann Jarvis cared for wounded soldiers on both sides of the American Civil War, and created Mother's Day Work Clubs to address people's health issues.

To honor her mother by continuing the work she started, she campaigned to set aside a day to honor all the mothers as she believed a mother is "the person who has done more for you than anyone in the world".

Former US President Woodrow Wilson in 1914 signed a proclamation and designated Mother's Day, held on the second Sunday in May, as a national holiday to honour mothers.

By the early 1920s, however, card companies started selling Mother's Day cards. Anna Jarvis believed that this exploited the idea of Mother's Day.

"A printed card means nothing except that you are too lazy to write to the woman who has done more for you than anyone in the world. And candy! You take a box to Mother-and then eat most of it yourself. A pretty sentiment," she had said.

After the commercialization of the day, Anna Jarvis organised boycotts of Mother's Day, and threatened to issue lawsuits against the companies involved. She also protested against this at various public meetings.
    While others profited from the day, Anna's efforts to hold on to the original meaning of the day led to her own economic hardship. Her committee supported her and helped to continue her movement during her declining health. She died on November 24, 1948.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Gee, I wonder why people think Libertarians are miserable about absolutely everything?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Gee, I wonder why people think Libertarians are miserable about absolutely everything?
    Wallowing in misery is fun?

I plan on celebrating Sunday and Tuesday. No cards. We don't give cards. We write a sentiment on a dollar bill and give that as a card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I plan on celebrating Sunday and Tuesday. No cards. We don't give cards. We write a sentiment on a dollar bill and give that as a card.
    We're celebrating - kids have a card, flowers, and candy - as well as a neat lithography of the woman and her children (my idea, but the kids will get credit - little idea thieves). Then, we eat fried chicken...

Should be a good time, as it is every year.

Gulag Chief:

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    We're celebrating - kids have a card, flowers, and candy - as well as a neat lithography of the woman and her children (my idea, but the kids will get credit - little idea thieves). Then, we eat fried chicken...

Should be a good time, as it is every year.
    That sounds nice. My mama forgot Sunday was Mother's Day and planned a gambling trip so I'm taking her to Jimmy Buffett's new restaurant at Lake Lanier on Tuesday. I got her a t-shirt, a purse she wanted, and I'm surprising them with Willie Nelson tickets. My stepfather knows about the tickets but she'll be surprised.

I'll probably get a pine cone from my youngest son. He's been getting me pine cones for mother's day since he was a toddler and I think they chipped in together and bought me a book. Whatever it is, they bought it at Books-a-Million because I was with them there last week and they asked me to wait outside.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

That sounds nice. My mama forgot Sunday was Mother's Day and planned a gambling trip so I'm taking her to Jimmy Buffett's new restaurant at Lake Lanier on Tuesday. I got her a t-shirt, a purse she wanted, and I'm surprising them with Willie Nelson tickets. My stepfather knows about the tickets but she'll be surprised.

I'll probably get a pine cone from my youngest son. He's been getting me pine cones for mother's day since he was a toddler and I think they chipped in together and bought me a book. Whatever it is, they bought it at Books-a-Million because I was with them there last week and they asked me to wait outside.
    Aren't you a blabbermouth? Mr. A is probably scratching his head while reading this. I knew letting her back on RPF wasn't a good idea.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Aren't you a blabbermouth? Mr. A is probably scratching his head while reading this. I knew letting her back on RPF wasn't a good idea.
    Yes and so is brushfire.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

Anna Jarvis is a Libertarian?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post

We (besides you, missed her).

But sometimes the best response to her posts is this:

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Please do not wait until the last minute to at least call or send your mom/wife/mother of your children a card. It's not always an easy journey and knowing you appreciate who raised you or who raised your kids will make life go a little more smoothly.

And you don't have to wait until Mother's Day. Every now and then will be fine.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Please do not wait until the last minute to at least call or send your mom/wife/mother of your children a card. It's not always an easy journey and knowing you appreciate who raised you or who raised your kids will make life go a little more smoothly.

And you don't have to wait until Mother's Day. Every now and then will be fine.
    Yep. Just finished wiping my mom's bum and putting her to sleep.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Yes and so is brushfire.
    Hey now, I know I can trust you guys not to say anything.

Man, be careful not to set the bar too high! that sounds like a helluva day!

BTW - Willie Nelson has still got it! I've seen him a whole bunch of times over the years, and about the only thing that's really changed is the fact that he no longer does encores. Other than that, he still sounds excellent, but he's in and out - all business. Oh, and he doesnt pass bottles of whiskey anymore - hasnt done that for a very long time.

Gulag Chief: