Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Historic: American Trump and Korean Kim Jong Un to meet on June 12 in Singapore

Russian President Vladimir Putin has pledged that his country will make sure that President Donald Trump’s upcoming meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is a success.

Trump and Kim are slated to meet on June 12 in Singapore to discuss the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, and Putin says that all major regional players, including Russia, should offer North Korea guarantees in order to have a fruitful meeting.

"We will be waiting for the outcome of the meeting between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and will contribute to the success of this meeting in every possible way," Putin told Chinese reporters Wednesday in the lead-up to a security meeting in China next week. Putin also said that the international community should help North Korea with its economic development and guarantee Kim's safety in exchange for the abandonment of Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons program.

"There are numerous prospects for joint work both in the three-and four-party format; it is just necessary to move in this direction," Putin said.
    The comments echo those already made by Trump and members of his administration. Speaking last month in the oval office, Trump said that North Korea can be “very rich” under Kim if the isolated country agrees to give up its nuclear weapons. A week later, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that Trump should provide Kim with “comfort and security” in order for the meeting to be successful.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/vladimir-...142851357.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    President Trump said on Thursday that he would "certainly" invite North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to the United States if their upcoming summit in Singapore on June 12 goes well.

While taking questions from the press during a joint press conference with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Trump replied to the Daily Caller's Saagar Enjeti: "Maybe we'll start with the White House. What do you think?"
    Trump also said he hopes to be able to normalize relations with North Korea, and that a formal agreement to end the Korean war is "absolutely" possible. The war has technically been active since a 1953 armistice.
    "Normalizing relations is something that I would expect to do...There are a lot of good factors lined up for North Korea. ... It has tremendous potential because the people are great, and we would certainly like to see normalization," Trump said.
    To that end...
    Sec Pompeo "NK has confirmed to us its willingness to denuclearize" after saying direct talks between the two nations have been underway at lower level.
    — Kelly O'Donnell (@KellyO) June 7, 2018
    "A secure North Korea" Sec Pompeo says the US would protect the stability of NK leadership if they denuclearize
    — Kelly O'Donnell (@KellyO) June 7, 2018

.@Esaagar: "If the summit does go well, will you be inviting North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to the United States?"

President Trump: "Well the answer is yes…certainly if it goes well. I think it would be well-received. I think he would look at it very favorably." pic.twitter.com/Prq1FqX3Cp
    — CSPAN (@cspan) June 7, 2018
    Well that was interesting! @POTUS tells me if the meeting in Singapore goes well that he will inviting Kim Jong Un to the White House!
    — Saagar Enjeti (@esaagar) June 7, 2018
    Trump and Kim are set to meet at the Capella Hotel in Singapore on June 12. While many details remain shrouded in mystery, the White House has sought to downplay the summit - describing it as the first step in a "process" towards full denuclearization.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...rt-white-house

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    While President Donald Trump seems intent to make a deal with North Korea seemingly at any cost, the CIA has apparently deployed one of its most hawkish North Korea hands to be at the president's side during the summit, allowing the intelligence community to rein in any of the president's excesses as it angles for a historic diplomatic achievement.
    In a piece published late Wednesday, Bloomberg profiles Andrew Kim, a CIA officer who first came to prominence when he was photographed sitting alongside Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during Pompeo's first meeting with Kim Jong Un in Pyongyang.

Kim has become an integral part of the White House's North Korea team - a role that is unusual for an intelligence official.
    "It does seem unusual," said Bruce Klingner, the former CIA deputy division chief for Korea and now a fellow at the Heritage Foundation.
    "Just as the policy community isn’t supposed to infect the intelligence community, the intel community provides information to enable policy makers to make the best informed decisions possible but are not supposed to provide advice."
    Born and raised in South Korea, Kim is distantly related through his mother's side of the family to Chung Eui-yong, South Korea's national security adviser. He also briefly attended the same prestigious Seoul high school as Suh Hoo, the leader of Korea's national intelligence service. Somehow, he ended up leading the CIA station in Seoul, and has since become known as the "Grim Reaper" for his extremely hawkish views on North Korea.

Pompeo, who led the CIA before becoming Secretary of State, is said to trust Kim so absolutely that he now includes him in in nearly every meeting on North Korea. Kim has directly briefed President Trump, and is set to attend the Singapore summit on June 12. During Pompeo's meeting with Kim Jong Un, Kim monitored the North Korean translators to make sure they were feeding accurate translations to the North Korean leader.
    Fellow North Korea hawks will probably welcome Kim's presence, given Kim's proven skepticism.
    "The North Korean side regards diplomacy as war by other means," said Nicholas Eberstadt of the American Enterprise Institute. "The North Korean government doesn’t do 'win-win,' it doesn’t do 'getting to yes.'"
    Notably, Kim has the approval of both Republicans and Democrats - a rare feat in modern times.
    James Clapper, the former director of national intelligence in the Obama administration, waved off questions about Kim during an interview in Washington earlier this week, then relented just a bit.
    "He’s excellent, he’s really excellent," Clapper said. "He’s very realistic about North Korea."
    But Kim has done far more than serve as translator. He's used his knowledge of North Korean politics to help the White House discern Kim Jong Un's intentions heading into the Singapore Summit. His elevation has "pushed seasoned diplomats and policy-makers to the sidelines" as he's become involved in "almost all levels of the government strategy toward North Korea."
    "He is in effect the connective tissue right now across the dialogues with the North Koreans," said Rexon Ryu, a partner at the Asia Group and former White House official and Pentagon chief of staff. "I wouldn't be surprised if the reality is Andy is perhaps the most influential player right now."
    The question is: Will having a CIA-trained hawk in the negotiating room be an obstacle to peace? Or will he help Trump strike a better deal?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ead-kim-summit

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    While President Donald Trump seems intent to make a deal with North Korea seemingly at any cost, the CIA has apparently deployed one of its most hawkish North Korea hands to be at the president's side during the summit, allowing the intelligence community to rein in any of the president's excesses as it angles for a historic diplomatic achievement.
    If this is true, doesn't POTUS have authority to replace hawkish guy with some dovish guy (or gal) from same agency if they have to have a seat on the table?

I'm still not convinced that's a mere puppet without power to make final decider decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    If this is true, doesn't POTUS have authority to replace hawkish guy with some dovish guy (or gal) from same agency if they have to have a seat on the table?

I'm still not convinced that's a mere puppet without power to make final decider decisions.
    There are so many reasons he might or might not do that that we can't possibly draw any conclusions.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Coming from despising Trump during the primaries and seeing his presidency develop, I've been overall impressed.

The guy is just the target of every attack and comes out seemingly on top most of the time. Despite that, he's moving the ball forward in a lot of ways.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

I'm going to agree here. One of the first leaders President Trump brought to Mir a Lago was Prime Minister Abe.

I think the President has assembled a team that will convince Kim Jong Un it is in his best interests, and in the best interests of North Korea to change the way things are done there. I think they are prepared to offer some incentives for North Korea to beat its swords into plowshares.
    Last edited by euphemia; 06-09-2018 at 07:35 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Two guys with huge egos who love the photo- op and who have solid records of not abiding by agreements will try to upstage each other starting tomorrow.

Korea has been planning for this for decades. Trump is just going to try to "wing it".

"The first minute I'll know -- just my touch, my feel, that's what I do," Trump told reporters at the G7 summit in Canada.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-10-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Two guys with huge egos who love the photo- op and who have solid records of not abiding by agreements will try to upstage each other starting tomorrow.
    Did you come up with this on your own?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Did you come up with this on your own?
    Thank you for your always informative addition to the discussion.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thank you for your always informative addition to the discussion.
    I take that as a NO.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Supreme Leader is meeting the President.
    Hopefully the NK summit will go better than the G7 Summit that just ended.

North Korea 5 hours ago

There's a 'special place in hell' for Trudeau after his G7 'stunt,' top WH Trade Adviser Peter Navarro says

By Gregg Re | Fox News
    There is a "special place in hell" for Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau because of his decision to slam the U.S. in a post-G7 press conference, White House Director of Trade Policy Peter Navarro said on "Fox News Sunday."
    "There's a special place in hell for any foreign leader that engages in bad faith diplomacy with President Donald J. Trump and then tries to stab him in the back on the way out the door," Navarro said. "And that's what bad faith Justin Trudeau did with that stunt press conference. That's what weak, dishonest Justin Trudeau did. And that comes right from Air Force One."
    Later Sunday, top European Union official Donald Tusk tweeted an apparent rebuke of Navarro. Trump has imposed steel and aluminum tariffs on both the EU and Canada because of what he has called their unfair trade practices.
    “There is a special place in heaven for @JustinTrudeau,” Tusk, the president of the EU's European Council, wrote. "Canada, thank you for the perfect organisation of G7

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...arro-says.html

Of course it will, NK is only an enemy not one of our bloodsucking "allies".

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Of course it will, NK is only an enemy not one of our bloodsucking "allies".
    Which begs the question, do we have any genuine allies in the world these days (other than our closest allies Islamic dictatorship of Saudi Arabia and Jewish State of Israel)?

Heavens forbid if need arises to liberate another country abroad, who will stand with us in our hour of need?
    At least Bush was able to get UK, Australia, Canada to stand with us after Iraqi Freedom war.

Which begs the question, do we have any genuine allies in the world these days (other than our closest allies Islamic dictatorship of Saudi Arabia and Jewish State of Israel)?

Heavens forbid if need arises to liberate another country abroad, who will stand with us in our hour of need?
    At least Bush was able to get UK, Australia, Canada to stand with us after Iraqi Freedom war.
    Putin.

Israel and the Saudis are no better than our other "allies".

The behavior of other countries in the event of future wars has more to do with how much control Israel has over them than their relationship with us, if Israel wasn't concerned and the US was attacked not a single "ally" would lift a finger to help.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It is already a circus. Dennis Rodman has shown up. Why are we not surprised? He was wearing a t-shirt promoting a pot crypto-currency.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/06...im-summit.html

Dennis Rodman arrives in Singapore ahead of Trump-Kim summit

Dennis Rodman arrived in Singapore’s airport early Tuesday morning to a flurry of cameras and reporters ahead of the historic summit between President Trump and Kim Jong Un. “The Worm” is a mutual friend of both world leaders and previously boasted to have “great” friendships with them.

The former basketball player was bombarded with questions upon his arrival at Changi Airport around midnight Tuesday, hours after Kim was spotted posing for a selfie during a night ahead of his meeting with Trump.

“I’m just happy to be a part of [the historic summit…I think I brought a lot of awareness to people around the world,” Rodman told reporters when asked if the meeting wouldn’t have happened without the former NBA star.

Rodman also tweeted: "Just arrived to Singapore for the Historical Summit! Looking forward to @POTUS having incredible success that the whole world will benefit by. Thank you @PotCoin for supporting my mission! #Peace #Love #HistoricalSummit #Singapore #PresidentTrump #MarshallKimJongUn"

More at link.

Marijuana is illegal in North Korea and Singapore where the meeting is taking place. Possession could lead to the death penalty in both countries. They paid for his previous visits to North Korea.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-11-2018 at 03:20 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Live stream from CGTN

The Chinese feed is better. They are crazy about him over there.

Did they hit it off?

They need an hour for what? They could just tweet each other. Motion Pictures. Ahhhhhhhhh........

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Coming from despising Trump during the primaries and seeing his presidency develop, I've been overall impressed.

The guy is just the target of every attack and comes out seemingly on top most of the time. Despite that, he's moving the ball forward in a lot of ways.
    This has pretty much been my take as well.

It is already a circus. Dennis Rodman has shown up. Why are we not surprised? He was wearing a t-shirt promoting a pot crypto-currency.

Da $#@!?

ChumLee is his wingman???

North Korea 5 hours ago

There's a 'special place in hell' for Trudeau after his G7 'stunt,' top WH Trade Adviser Peter Navarro says

By Gregg Re | Fox News
    There is a "special place in hell" for Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau because of his decision to slam the U.S. in a post-G7 press conference, White House Director of Trade Policy Peter Navarro said on "Fox News Sunday."
    "There's a special place in hell for any foreign leader that engages in bad faith diplomacy with President Donald J. Trump and then tries to stab him in the back on the way out the door," Navarro said. "And that's what bad faith Justin Trudeau did with that stunt press conference. That's what weak, dishonest Justin Trudeau did. And that comes right from Air Force One."
    Later Sunday, top European Union official Donald Tusk tweeted an apparent rebuke of Navarro. Trump has imposed steel and aluminum tariffs on both the EU and Canada because of what he has called their unfair trade practices.
    “There is a special place in heaven for @JustinTrudeau,” Tusk, the president of the EU's European Council, wrote. "Canada, thank you for the perfect organisation of G7

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...arro-says.html
    Never have cared a bit for these global government confabs.

Quite pleased he told them all to piss off.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Da $#@!?

ChumLee is his wingman???
    Kinda looks like him in that photo.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $#@!ing LMAO. Decided to watch MSNBC. What a deep state mouth organ. NOTHING Trump did was right. When Trump said "It was an honor" to be there, they said "Trump doesn't understand their culture and Kim Jun will use it in his newspapers against him tomorrow. Of course if it had been Obama and he would have bowed then Chris Matthews probably would have felt a thrill up his leg.
    That $#@! is ALMOST like a comedy/parody show. Excepting it ain't.

Drudge is reportig a handshake and a heart attack:

Trump, Kim hold historic summit...
    Hope to narrow differences...
    The Handshake...
    'It's my honor, we will have terrific relationship'...

KUDLOW HEART ATTACK

White House economic advisor Larry Kudlow suffers heart attack, Trump tweets

• Larry Kudlow suffered a heart attack and has been hospitalized, and is reportedly in good condition.
    • Trump tweeted the news on Monday evening ET, only minutes before a historic meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
    • Kudlow, a former CNBC contributor and Wall Street economist, has played a leading role in ongoing talks between the United States and its major trade partners, including China.

Ted Kemp | @TedKempCNBC

Published 1 Hour Ago Updated Moments Ago

Larry Kudlow, Director of the National Economic Council, speaks to reporters outside the White House April 4, 2018 in Washington, DC.

White House economic advisor Larry Kudlow suffered a heart attack and is at Walter Reed Medical Center, according to a tweet from U.S. President Donald Trump.
    Trump tweeted the news on Monday evening ET, literally only minutes before a historic meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/11/whit...mp-tweets.html

This is going to be explosive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast