Thread: John McCain reportedly defends giving Trump dossier to James Comey in new book

John McCain reportedly defends giving Trump dossier to James Comey in new book

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mccain...anded-i-do-it/

May 9, 2018

Sen. John McCain’s upcoming book details how he handed to the FBI the infamous “dossier” of unproven allegations about President Trump, and defends the act as patriotic “duty.”

According to a report Wednesday in the Daily Beast, Mr. McCain acknowledges in his upcoming book “The Restless Wave,” that he met personally with then-FBI director James P. Comey to give him the salacious material.

“I agreed to receive a copy of what is now referred to as ‘the dossier,’” the Arizona Republican wrote. “I reviewed its contents. The allegations were disturbing, but I had no idea which if any were true. I could not independently verify any of it, and so I did what any American who cares about our nation’s security should have done.”

He said he went to see Mr. Comey “at his earliest convenience, handed him the dossier, explained how it had come into my possession.”

“I said I didn’t know what to make of it, and I trusted the FBI would examine it carefully and investigate its claims. With that, I thanked the director and left. The entire meeting had probably not lasted longer than ten minutes. I did what duty demanded I do,” Mr. McCain wrote, according to the Daily Beast, which received advance copies of the book, due out May 22.

The dossier, compiled by a former British spy in the pay of Democratic opposition researchers, was published raw by Buzzfeed in January 2017 and reported on by other news outlets.

At the time, Mr. McCain was identified as the man who put it in the FBI’s hands in December 2016. He acknowledged involvement in a statement at the time.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I thought he was The Maverick? Why is he trying to re brand himself as the restless wave? Is that the brain tumor talking?

He also keeps taking jabs at the Paul family in his book...

John McCain: It 'Wasn’t Incorrect' to Say Rand Paul Was 'Working for Vladimir Putin'

n March 2017, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) successfully delayed for 11 days Senate ratification of Montenegro's entry into the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). America's leading advocate for NATO expansion, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) responded by accusing Paul of "achieving the objectives of Vladimir Putin...of trying to dismember this small country."

"I repeat again," McCain said then, remarkably. "The senator from Kentucky is now working for Vladimir Putin."

Perhaps even more remarkably, though not very surprisingly, McCain is unapologetic about that accusation in his valedictory new memoir, The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights, and Other Appreciations. "Senator Paul didn't appreciate that, and I'll grant that it was an intemperate thing to say," McCain writes, with co-author Mark Salter. "But it wasn't incorrect. He might not have worked wittingly for Putin, but he was doing exactly what the Russian wanted done."

McCain and Paul have a long history of mutual antagonism on foreign policy, including NATO expansion. Paul single-handedly blocked a 2011 unanimous consent resolution to hurry the ex-Soviet Republic of Georgia into the alliance, a McCain goal for the past decade. The Arizonan has been fond of calling his fellow Senate Foreign Relations Committee member a "wacko bird"; the Kentuckian has returned the favor with the phrase "stale and moss-covered." (Both have periodically walked the adjectives back.)

The Restless Wave is filled with good-spirited, cross-ideological appreciations for Teddy Kennedy, Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Chris Murphy, and so on. Not so for the Paul family:

* Early in the book, McCain recounts with some bemusement the end of the 2008 GOP presidential primary season after chief rival Mitt Romney had dropped out: "[Mike] Huckabee remained in the race, as did libertarian Ron Paul [Rand Paul's father]. Huckabee won a few more southern contests but formally withdrew in March after I had accumulated enough delegates to secure the nomination. Paul stayed in until June, when he suspended his campaign having never won a single primary or caucus, but having made a point of some kind to his passionate followers."

* In one of many passages bemoaning the rise of conspiracy theories in political discourse, McCain writes: "Rand Paul believed the unsubstantiated charge that I had met with representatives of ISIS during my brief visit to Syria, and he said so publicly."

This is indeed true: Paul expressed that belief in a September 2014 Daily Beast interview, after which the claim was serially debunked. McCain leaves out that Paul soon apologized to him on the Senate floor.

* Near the end of the book, McCain recounts how following his dramatic no-vote on Obamacare repeal last July, he had hoped to get his defense authorization bill done the next day, before flying off for a round of chemotherapy. "But Rand Paul decided we wouldn't start debate on the defense bill that morning or any other morning before I went back to Arizona for treatment and the Senate recessed for the summer. We needed unanimous consent to bring up the bill, and he objected. I'm not sure why. Maybe he resented my vote the night before. Maybe he had another reason. It's hard to tell."

Paul's spokesman Sergio Gor actually explained the reasoning that same day: "Sen. Rand Paul requested two bipartisan amendments, one on ending indefinite detention and one on AUMFs....He looks forward to working with leadership and the committee to get this done soon."

https://reason.com/blog/2018/05/16/j...rect-to-say-ra
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

lol..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Jan2017

LOL - John McCain of USS Forrestal disaster infamy, and of course, the permanent sealing of Vietnam-era MIA records,
    and the pilot of a Corpus Christi, Texas training-flight crash short of the runway and into the Gulf of Mexico -
    ALL after never having read how to eject in the United States Navy Flight Manual . . . graduating last in his class,

now, scores big as the agent of the dossier introduction into the USA top state of government.