Thread: June 8, Remember America's Forgotten Heroes, Men Killed in Israel's attack on The USS Liberty

June 8, Remember America's Forgotten Heroes, Men Killed in Israel's attack on The USS Liberty

An anniversary NEVER commemorated in the media, sailors killed while showing breathtaking heroism in Israel's deliberate attempt to sink an American ship, into order to draw the US into war with Egypt. Sailors fought fires wounded, treated wounded while wounded themselves, while taking hundreds of rounds of strafing fire, rockets, and torpedoes, saving the ship which by all accounts should have gone down. They had names, they had faces, but it is forbidden to mention them, because Americans would learn about the vicious betrayal of one of our closest allies, as well as their own government.

Chicago Tribune 2007: New revelations in attack on American spy ship

Official survivor website: http://www.gtr5.com/

Note: only 10 images allowed on RPF, more images at http://ifamericaknew.org/us_ints/lib...asualties.html
    http://ifamericaknew.org/us_ints/lib...asualties.html
    The men killed in Israel's attack on The USS Liberty

This information was compiled by USS Liberty survivors Jim Ennes and Joe Meadors at USSLiberty.org.
    If you are not yet familiar with the deliberate Israeli attack on the USS Liberty, please read the findings of the Independent Commission of Inquiry, composed of three Admirals and Generals of the US armed forces and one ambassador, including former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Thomas H. Moorer and Medal of Honor recipient General Raymond G. Davis.

Lieutenant James Pierce

LT James Cecil Pierce, USN, 649805/6462
    Born 11 July 1924, Clinton, North Carolina
    Active duty since 6 August 1941
    Wife: Pauline M. Pierce, Virginia Beach (died later)
    Parents: deceased
    Died in Naval Security Group (intelligence) Department spaces
    while destroying registered publications
    Wife: died soon after.
    Buried: Arlington National Cemetery, grave 8576R, Section 13

Read more...

Jerry Leroy Converse

Jerry was born and raised in Puyallup, Washington, and completed almost three years at Ames State College before leaving to join the Navy.

Read more...

Thomas Ray Thornton

Thomas Ray, affectionately known as Tommy, was born in Springfield, Ohio on February 1, 1944, to William R. and Anna (Fay) Thornton. Tommy has a sister, Joann Nuss, who grew up with Tommy when they lived on North Race Street. After completing grade school, he attended North High School. Tommy was a member of the track team and distinguished himself during the period 1960 through 1962 when he was awarded trophies for his accomplishments.

Read more...

Francis Brown

QM3 Francis Brown, USN, 778 76 70
    Born 6 May 1947, Albany, New York
    Active duty since 6 August 1964
    Parents: Mr. & Mrs. Wade Brown, Troy, NY
    Died on bridge while operating the helm

Read more...

James Lee Lenau

Everyone has heard of Washington, D.C., and some know about the space needle in Seattle, in the state of Washington. Not many people know about Washington, Missouri.

This community was the birthplace of James Lee Lenau.

Read more...

Curtis A. Graves

CT1 Curtis Alan Graves, USN, 519 58 24
    Born 10 February 1943, Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
    Active duty since 22 August 1961
    Mother: Florence McCullum Graves, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Father: deceased
    Buried: Arlington National Cemetery, Grave #3773, Section 67
    Remembrance: Memorial display planned for Military and Space Museum,
    Frankenmuth, Michigan (dedication summer 1990).
    Remembrance: Graves Hall (barracks) in Pensacola, Florida.

Read more...

John Spicher

There was a very happy day in Brackenridge, Pennsylvania. The date...February 15, 1937. The day began normally for John and Marion Spicher but a special event would forever etch this date in history. Their son, John, was born and he fulfilled their dreams.
    John attended St. Joseph's school in Natrona, PA, and was given the nickname Butch. This was a fond acknowledgment of a gentle giant who liked to fish. He was a great cook to boot and baking was his specialty. He also enjoyed auto mechanics and was known to take his car apart and put it back together, just for fun. His reputation was known throughout the community and the name, John Spicher, was recognized by all.

Read more...

Philippe Charles Tiedtke

CT3 Philippe Charles Tiedtke, USN, 914 32 84
    Born 17 October 1944, Santa Cruz, California
    Active duty since 2 September 1964
    Parents: Mr. & Mrs. Arthur L. Tiedtke, Modesto, CA
    Buried: Lakewood Memorial Park, Hughson, CA

Read more...

Robert Burton Eisenberg

Bob Eisenberg and his best friend, Ted Plante, enlisted in the Navy together in February, 1964, about 18 months after graduation from high school. After boot camp together, Bob went to CT school and Ted went to ET school.
    The two stayed in frequent touch and coordinated leave together just before Bob's assignment to USS Liberty. During that leave, Bob bought his dream car, a 1967 Pontiac Grand Prix convertible and the two double-dated until they returned to their respective duty stations. Bob promised to return one day for his best friend's wedding. Liberty sailed from Norfolk on her last deployment May 2, 1967.

Read more...

Duane Marggraf

Duane was born in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin and lived most of his life there. His parents were Carlton and Esther Marggraf. He was their third child and only son. His two older sisters are Virginia (Ginny) Hoffman and Lorna Stopper.
    During his elementary days, he enjoyed biking, Little League Baseball, Cub Scouts, Indian Guides, soccer, fishing and just about anything that boys get into. He liked to have fun.

Read more...

John Caleb Smith

Wednesday, August 8, 2001
    Memories of a lost sailor
    Ithaca family touched by 1967 Israeli attack on USS Liberty
    By STEPHEN LANDESMAN
    Ithica Journal Staff
    Jerry Smith recalls clearly the day his brother John was killed aboard the USS Liberty in the eastern Mediterranean.
    He says he'll never forget June 8, 1967.
    "I still get upset and choked up about it," Smith said Tuesday by telephone from Rochester.
    Smith's brother, 24-year-old John C. Smith Jr., a graduate of Ithaca High School, was killed along with 33 other U.S. seamen on the Liberty when Israeli jets and torpedo boats attacked the Navy surveillance vessel at the height of the Six-Day War between Israel and the Arab states.

Read more...

Sergeant Jack Lewis Raper

US Marine Corps Sergeant Jack Lewis Raper was a 1962 graduate of Cedartown High School, Cedartown, Georgia, and lived most of his life in Polk County where he was a member of the First Baptist Church of Cedartown. He is survived by his wife, the former Miss Sue Carter of Fitzgerald; by his daughter Trishia; two brothers, Don and Jimmy Raper of Cedartown; a sister, Judy, of Cedartown; and grandparents.

Read more...

Lieutenant Commander Philip McCutcheon Armstrong

Philip McCutcheon Armstrong was a 1953 graduate of the United States Military Academy at Annapolis, Maryland.
    His service included tours in USS Betelgeuse AKA-260 and USS Liberty AGTR-5 as the ship's executive officer. He was killed in the Israeli attack on USS Liberty when he was hit with aircraft fire while attempting to jettison flaming drums of gasoline. He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for this heroic act.

Read more...

Lawrence P. Hayden

Lawrence Hayden, as remembered by his sister, Kathryn:
    We called him Larry. My brother was adopted at birth by my parents while they were living in Houston, Texas. June 16, 1947 was an odd day for my parents. My mother was a patient in the hospital where a baby was born and thirty minutes after delivery, Mom was holding the baby in her arms. The baby was named Larry, and that's how it all started.

Read more...

David Skolak

The dog days of summer were in full swing in Indiana during the middle of August, 1946 when David Skolak was born. August 12th promised to be another hot day and most people were trying to stay cool, but not David. He was ready for bursting onto the scene and did just that. That was the coolest thing that happened in Gary during the month.

Read more...

Richard W. Keene

Chances are, on that fall day in 1945, when Richard Keene, Jr. was born in Batavia, in Genessee County, New York, Interstate 90, that connects Rochester and Buffalo, was not even a consideration. The trip then had to be made on a two lane road and it took hours to get from one place to another. Not so today.
    Richard Keene, Sr. remembers the day his son was born because the war had just ended in 1945. He was stationed aboard a cruiser in the Pacific, somewhere off the coast of Japan, and believed, in some small way, he and others that served during the war, helped make the world a safer place to raise children. His sacrifice was to help insure the safety of his child, and the children of others throughout the world.

Read more...

Carl Christian Nygren

CTSN Carl Christian Nygren, USN, 788 37 16
    Born 17 May 1945, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
    Active duty since 19 August 1965
    Parents: Mr. & Mrs. Arvid C. Nygren, North Babylon, LI, NY
    Buried: Arlington National Cemetery, Mass Grave #1817, Section 34

Read more...

Frederick James Walton

CT1 Frederick James Walton, USN, 236 31 86
    Born 28 November 1935, Niagara Falls, New York
    Active duty since 8 December 1952
    Wife: Audry Jane Walton, #3 Deuro Drive, Niagara Falls, NY
    Parents: Mr. & Mrs. Horace F. Walton, Niagara Falls, NY
    - body recovered later

Read more...

Edward Emory Rehmeyer III

Eddie, as known to his family and friends, graduated from Susquehannock High School in Glen Rock, PA in 1964. He joined the Marines in October of that same year. He was smart, funny, kind and a wonderful son, brother and friend. His teachers often commented on how bright he was and how quickly he could comprehend any subject. He was a talented pool and chess player and enjoyed sports.
    Eddie is survived and lovingly remembered, especially by his parents, brother and sister.

Read more...

Ronnie J. Campbell

Eulogy by his daughter Deborah:
    Who was Ronnie Campbell? That is what my Uncle Mike told me to find out. "Just the basic information", he said. His date of birth, where he grew up, his parents names, etc. Sounds like an easy enough task, doesn't it? After all, this was the man that brought me life. But, that question, "Who was Ronnie Campbell?", has always been a mystery to me. I never had the opportunity to know this man, never gazed up into his kind loving eyes, never heard the gentleness of his voice as he told me he loved me, and never felt the warmth of his arms as he held me. Sometimes we are dealt a hand of cards that we will never understand. I was born 5 1/2 months after my father was killed on the USS Liberty. I am now 36 years old and just beginning to find out what happened on that day in June of 1967. I am very saddened and disturbed by what I've read so far. Instead of bringing answers for me, my search has only brought more questions.

Read more...

Alan Higgins

Alan Higgins was born in Weymouth, Massachusetts, on January 27, 1948, and enlisted in the Navy on September 16, 1965. His parents are Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur C. Higgins of Dover, Delaware. Alan is buried at Arlington National Cemetery, Grave #1773, Section 12.

Read more...

Alexander Neil Thompson

GMG3 Alexander Neil Thompson, Jr., USN, 770 47 21
    Born 5 April 1943, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Active duty since 5 September 1963
    Wife: Gail E. Thompson, 4 Crystal Drive, Warwick, Rhode Island
    Parents: Mr. & Mrs. Alexander A. Thompson, Greely, Pennsylvania
    Died in forward gun mount
    Remembrance: Navy gunnery training building for the Aegis system
    named in his memory in 1990.

Read more...

Jerry Lee Goss

NORTH VERNON PLAIN DEALER
    NORTH VERNON, INDIANA
    THURSDAY JUNE 15, 1967
    JERRY LEE GOSS IS DECLARED DEAD FOLLOWING ATTACK ON USS LIBERTY
    Last Friday, when the United States navy informed Mr. And Mrs. Harry Goss of North Vernon that their son, CT3 Jerry Goss was missing following a bombing and torpedoing of the USS LIBERTY by the Israeli armed forces, there yet remained hope that he would be found safe.
    Then, on Sunday, June 11, a Naval Lt. Commander came to the Goss home to bring the saddest of news; The Navy has information that Communication Technician Third Class Jerry Lee Goss has lost his life by drowning in a flooded compartment of the USS LIBERTY.

Read more...

James Mahlon Lupton

"Little did she know she kissed a hero".
    By his wife: Barbara Lupton
    That line is from a song recently published for a hero of the 9-11 disaster, but I think it stands for all heroes, and certainly the courageous men serving aboard the USS Liberty on June 8, 1967.
    How do I describe James Lupton, my own hero? I've been searching for the words ever since he was killed, and still I haven't been able to find them.

Read more...

William Bernard Allenbaugh

William Bernard Allenbaugh was born to William Francis and Elizabeth M. Allenbaugh on January 23, 1944 at St. Joseph's Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.Bill's early years were spent in Gardenville, Md. His two sisters, Mary and Eleanor and brother Michael watched this mischievous kid grow into a gentle man who was admired by many. His primary education was at St. Anthony's School and from there he graduated to Calvert Hall College High School. His interests paralleled those of many boys with football and bowling topping his list. His friends piqued his interest in auto mechanics and together, they were known to dismantle and rebuild an automobile until it was road worthy.

Read more...

Warren Edward Hersey

CT1 Warren Edward Hersey, USN, 903 67 11
    Born 14 October 1943, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Active duty since 4 April 1961
    Parents: Mr. & Mrs. Warren O. Hersey, Stoneham, Mass.

Read more...

Raymond Eugene Linn

The date, 30 June 1946. A full year had nearly passed since World War II ended and global peace prevailed once again. The Linn family was celebrating a birthday, Ray Linn's 18th, to be exact. A few short months after that birthday party, Ray joined the navy.

Read more...

Gary Ray Blanchard

SN Gary Ray Blanchard, USN, 771 77 22
    Born 16 September 1946, Wichita, Kansas
    Active duty since 11 February 1964
    Parents: Mr. & Mrs. Earl T. Blanchard, Wichita, Kansas
    Died on operating table 0315 June 9, 1967
    Buried: Lakeview Cemetery and Mausoleum, Wichita, Kansas

Read more...

Anthony Peter Mendle

Anthony Peter Mendle was born in Waterbury, Connecticut, and joined the Navy in 1964 at age 18.
    CT2 Anthony Peter Mendle, USN, 777 62 87
    Born 4 December 1945, Waterbury, Connecticut
    Active duty since 11 August 1964 or 1965 (dates conflict)
    Parents: Mr. & Mrs. John J. Mendle, Glendale, Arizona
    Buried: Resthaven Park Cemetary (West), Glendale AZ

Read more...

David W. Marlborough

Our late son, David W. Marlborough, was born in Waterville, Maine on September 28, 1948. He was the middle son of a family of three sons. An older brother, John and a younger brother, Allan.
    The family moved to Massachusetts in 1953. David started school at the Park Street School in West Springfield. A home was purchased in 1955 and David continued his education at the "Liberty" Street School, Van Sickle Junior High, and then at the High School of Commerce from whence he graduated in 1966. He was active in sports, was on the wrestling team and was also a Boy Scout and an Explorer Scout.

Read more...

Carl Lewis Hoar

Carl lived all his life near Mount Vernon, Ohio, until leaving high school at age 17 to join the Navy.

His family reports that three girls came from different states for his funeral service. One from Boston claimed to be his girlfriend; another from another state also claimed to be his girlfriend; and one from New Jersey introduced herself as his fiancee'.

Read more...

Allen Merle Blue

There could have been a light rain falling that morning, or the sun could have been waiting to burst on the scene. Such was the weather pattern in Yakima, Washington, and on the morning of September 5th, 1943, there was no difference. A ray of sunlight was evident when Allen M. Blue was born and a new life began.

Read more...

Lieutenant Stephen Spencer Toth

LT Stephen Spencer Toth, USN, 669613/1100
    Born 12 September 1939, San Diego, California
    Active duty since 5 June 1963
    US Naval Academy, Annapolis, Class of 1963
    Wife: Regina Chermont Toth, US Mission to Brazil
    Avenida Morambi 3819, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Parents: Capt. & Mrs. Joseph C. Toth, USN, Virginia Beach, VA
    Father: deceased - died about 1968.
    Died 01 or 02 level, port side, of rocket fire
    Received Silver Star for heroism during battle
    Memorial display, Hall of Heroes, US Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland
    Buried: U. S. Naval Academy Cemetery, Annapolis, Maryland

Read more...

Melvin Douglas Smith

Melvin Douglas Smith, the firstborn child of Carl and Agnes Smith, was raised in Alamance, North Carolina, a small village near Burlington. Doug, along with his three sisters and one brother, always loved the beauty of water, and he grew up swimming and fishing. After leaving E. M. Holt High School at eighteen, he followed that love of water to the Navy, which he joined in April 1956.

Read more...
    Last edited by James_Madison_Lives; 05-09-2018 at 06:43 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder if Mel Gibson made a movie about these soldiers, how many Oscars it would win?

Trick question, the answer is 0, it wouldn't't be nominated for any awards.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I wonder if Mel Gibson made a movie about these soldiers, how many Oscars it would win?

Trick question, the answer is 0, it wouldn't't be nominated for any awards.
    The Passion of the Christ

The film has been controversial and received largely polarised reviews, with some critics finding the extreme violence distracting and excessive, as well as claiming that the film subliminally promoted antisemitism.[8][9][10] The film grossed $612 million worldwide and was the 9th highest grossing film domestically at the end of its theatrical run.[11] It received three Academy Award nominations in 2005.[12] As of 2018, it is the highest grossing R-rated film in the United States.[13]
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Madison_Lives View Post
    An anniversary NEVER commemorated in the media, sailors killed while showing breathtaking heroism in Israel's deliberate attempt to sink an American ship, into order to draw the US into war with Egypt. Sailors fought fires wounded, treated wounded while wounded themselves, while taking hundreds of rounds of strafing fire, rockets, and torpedoes, saving the ship which by all accounts should have gone down. They had names, they had faces, but it is forbidden to mention them, because Americans would learn about the vicious betrayal of one of our closest allies, as well as their own government.

Chicago Tribune 2007: New revelations in attack on American spy ship

Official survivor website: http://www.gtr5.com/

Note: only 10 images allowed on RPF, more images at http://ifamericaknew.org/us_ints/lib...asualties.html
    http://ifamericaknew.org/us_ints/lib...asualties.html

Should have declared war.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Madison_Lives View Post
    into order to draw the US into war with Egypt.
    How did Israel attempt to blame it on Egypt or some other enemy? They didn't. We knew it was Israel from the start. Your statement has no basis in fact. Israel paid reparations for this crime. What else would you have them do besides change their story to what you want it to be? Or are you saying we should have bombed Israel for this too? What would Ron Paul do?
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Well.. 2 hrs of bombing, and we nuked Japan. Just saying.

We're a month shy of June 8 though

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    How did Israel attempt to blame it on Egypt or some other enemy? They didn't. We knew it was Israel from the start.

They tried to kill all on board and blame it on Egyptl until a Russian ship showed up to witness.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    They tried to kill all on board and blame it on Egyptl until a Russian ship showed up to witness.
    can't tell if sarcastic. 5 out of 6 torpedos missed. Since the pilots clearly saw the American flag, they disagreed with their commander ordering them to attack. Additionally:

3:12 p.m. The helicopters' communications with the ground are intercepted by an American aircraft circling high above the scene. One helicopter pilot reports that he sees an American flag flying from the Liberty's mast.

We knew immediately. Unless you are alleging the USA aircraft was in on an even larger conspiracy.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    can't tell if sarcastic. 5 out of 6 torpedos missed. Since the pilots clearly saw the American flag, they disagreed with their commander ordering them to attack. Additionally:

We knew immediately. Unless you are alleging the USA aircraft was in on an even larger conspiracy.
    You need to research this incident further. They knew from the beginning it was an American ship. And even targeted life boats.

The commander of an aircraft carrier was told to stand down and not help.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

You need to research this incident further. They knew from the beginning it was an American ship. And even targeted life boats.

So the commander in this case was crazy or just hated America, or thought the ship was fake news. I don't see how that proves a larger goal by Israel to false flag us into a war.

So the commander in this case was crazy or just hated America, or thought the ship was fake news. I don't see how that proves a larger goal by Israel to false flag us into a war.

No, he was following orders. By this man:

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

No, he was following orders. By this man:
    he could organize a false flag himself, without any help from Israel.

he could organize a false flag himself, without any help from Israel.

Well, he did kill JFK. But the Russians showing up spoiled the attack in this case.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

The commander of an aircraft carrier was told to stand down and not help.
    What shall he research? There was never even an official investigation, for the official, objective reality to lay manifest.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    What shall he research? There was never even an official investigation, for the official, objective reality to lay manifest.

You must be new to the Internet. It is out there, but I have not bookmarked it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

You must be new to the Internet. It is out there, but I have not bookmarked it.
    Congress hasn't.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.