Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CBO Reports RECORD SURPLUS After Tax Cuts

CBO Reports RECORD SURPLUS After Tax Cuts

Tired of winning yet? All the doom and gloom over the dreaded TRUMP TAX CUTS has proven, once again, to be WRONG. The Congressional Budget Office has released the numbers for April, and, as it turns out, the federal government has collected record revenue along with a record one-month surplus.

Part of the CBO report reads:
    Estimated Surplus in April 2018: $218 Billion

The federal government realized a surplus of $218 billion in April 2018, CBO estimates—$35 billion larger than the surplus in April 2017.
    CBO estimates that receipts in April 2018 totaled $515 billion—$59 billion (or 13 percent) more than those in the same month last year. Individual income and payroll taxes rose by $73 billion (or 20 percent), on net. Nonwithheld payments for those taxes, largely final payments of 2017 taxes, rose by $60 billion. Withholding of individual income and payroll taxes rose by $7 billion (or 4 percent). Withheld taxes rose both because wages and salaries were higher and because April 2018 had one more business day than April 2017. However, those factors were partially offset because the share of wages withheld for taxes was lower, CBO estimates, reflecting the new withholding tables issued in January. Corporate income tax payments declined by $14 billion (or 24 percent).
    The only bad news is that spending was up to $297 Billion, which was $24 Billion more than this time last year.
    According to Market Watch, this breaks the previous surplus record set back in 2001, which was $190 Billion. These latest numbers are $40 Billion MORE than what the CBO had projected. In fact, these numbers prove the original CBO estimate wrong, as they had predicted a record deficit.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018...fter-tax-cuts/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL @ "surplus." It isn't a surplus. It means we are paying more taxes than ever before. But spending is up too, sooooo

Balanced Budget Amendment or GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    LOL @ "surplus." It isn't a surplus. It means we are paying more taxes than ever before. But spending is up too, sooooo

Yes, but with significantly lower tax rates the only way to realize a surplus like this is to have increased income/production.

It's sorta like your boss gave you a big raise because the company is doing well, because everybody's taxes are lower, and yes, you will have to pay more money in taxes than last year because you made more, but your tax rate is lower so you are keeping a lot more also.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Yes, but with significantly lower tax rates the only way to realize a surplus like this is to have increased income/production.

It's sorta like your boss gave you a big raise because the company is doing well, because everybody's taxes are lower, and yes, you will have to pay more money in taxes than last year because you made more, but your tax rate is lower so you are keeping a lot more also.
    LOL @ "a lot more."

I was an accountant when I worked in corporate America, so you'll have to trust that I have an inkling of how budgets work.

You forgot to address the increase in spending. Bro.

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    Balanced Budget Amendment or GTFO.
    #TaxationIsTheft

LOL @ "a lot more."

I was an accountant when I worked in corporate America, so you'll have to trust that I have an inkling of how budgets work.

You forgot to address the increase in spending. Bro.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eral-employees

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-spending-cuts
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Sorry, but all semblance of fiscal responsibility ended when he signed the budget. His budget added 1 TRILLION to the debt in the first year, so forgive me if I don't get excited by some chatter about maybe cutting back 15 billion.

Obama did the same thing, and he structured it so the effects wouldn't be apparent for a decade after his term ended. Trump doubled down on that.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sorry, but all semblance of fiscal responsibility ended when he signed the budget. His budget added 1 TRILLION to the debt in the first year, so forgive me if I don't get excited by some chatter about maybe cutting back 15 billion.

Obama did the same thing, and he structured it so the effects wouldn't be apparent for a decade after his term ended. Trump doubled down on that.
    $160 billion is a pretty good chunck of the $1 trillion for one fell swoop, and a sign of things to come in the future (after the wall gets built)

He's debated this exact same topic and the exact same details in multiple threads. It's willful disbelief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

$160 billion is a pretty good chunck of the $1 trillion for one fell swoop
    It's almost like it's tax season or something.
    Last edited by TheCount; 05-09-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

More people paid their taxes later this year. March was a different story from April. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us...ays-2018-04-11

U.S. runs budget deficit of $209 billion in March, Treasury says

The numbers: The federal government’s budget deficit was $209 billion in March, the Treasury said, up 18% from the same month a year ago. Receipts were $211 billion, down 3%, and spending rose 7% to $420 billion.

What happened: The new tax law continues to widen the deficit, with withholding of individual income and payroll taxes off by 2% in March. In January, the IRS issued new withholding tables based on the law enacted by President Donald Trump in December. Spending was higher in March on Social Security, Medicaid and interest on the public debt. Interest payments were 11% higher, Treasury said.

Big picture: For the first half of the fiscal year, the shortfall is $600 billion, up 14% over the prior fiscal year’s first six months. The Treasury’s latest release comes after the Congressional Budget Office forecast a deficit of $804 billion for the current fiscal year — and a return to trillion-dollar deficits in 2020.

$160 billion is a pretty good chunck of the $1 trillion for one fell swoop, and a sign of things to come in the future (after the wall gets built)
    $160B/$1T= 16%. If you think that's a "pretty good chunk", you and I have different understandings of "big".
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    $160B/$1T= 16%. If you think that's a "pretty good chunk", you and I have different understandings of "big".
    1/7th-1/6th of something is a big chunk, we will see if he does more.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

we will see if he does more.
    He who? Which part of the $160B came from Trump?

Did he host a telethon? Pledge drive?
    Pinochet is the model

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post

The links I gave are for budget cuts in that range.. but the threads I linked to are probably automatically filtered out of the results you are allowed to view.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The links I gave are for budget cuts in that range.. but the threads I linked to are probably automatically filtered out of the results you are allowed to view.
    Do they exceed his proposed increases elsewhere in the budget?
    Pinochet is the model

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post

That is actually an excellent idea . Trump could do a Jerry Lewis style telethon . I vote yes . Set the precedent .
    Do something Danke

ETGAGOA

Experience The Great American Greatening of America
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Lower tax rates have never in the past been offset by higher growth rates.

April is always the best month in terms of deficit/ surplus because that is the month most tax revenues come in. For the current fiscal year we are already running a $600 billion shortfall (fiscal year runs through end of September).

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-10-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Lower tax rates have never in the past been offset by higher growth rates.
    LOL

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL
    Links showing when they have?

You made your claim without links.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

but your tax rate is lower so you are keeping a lot more also.
    Thank you government, for letting me keep half of a percent more of my income!

This favor will not be forgotten!
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Thank you government, for letting me keep half of a percent more of my income!

This favor will not be forgotten!
    For me and specs, it's a few thousands dollars - a lot more than a half percent more.

Did you calculate your tax savings yet?

For me and specs, it's a few thousands dollars - a lot more than a half percent more.

Did you calculate your tax savings yet?
    I paid $20 more this year.

I paid $20 more this year.
    Uhh, ya, the tax breaks are for 2018, so the taxes you paid this year on your 2017 return doesn't include Trump's tax breaks.

When Reagan signed what was then the largest tax cut in history, the deficit started to soar. So he agreed to sign what was at the time the biggest tax increase to try to reduce that deficit.

I'm paying less in fed taxes each week. Which is good because there's a bunch of local property tax millages coming up this year.

The tax cut is great on it's own merits, but this admin can hardly be considered fiscally responsible.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepat.../#5e42fc564bf2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast